Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice for a first timer

Posted by Danw4n 
Advice for a first timer
May 16, 2017 07:45PM
This is going to be my first year attending the SNWMF & I'm wondering if any show veterans have any advice as to what to bring, what not to bring, & any show secrets they want to share. I'm taking an RV, so if anyone has advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Re: Advice for a first timer
May 16, 2017 07:45PM
do you want to sleep at night? by night I mean between like 2 and 7am..
May 16, 2017 07:51PM
1) Hat
2) Water
3) Positive Vibrations

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2017 07:52PM by SKAndel.
May 16, 2017 08:27PM
May 17, 2017 02:38PM
Greetings

Bring a jacket! It gets cold late at night
and early in the morning. It can be foggy and damp.

Earplugs if your a light sleeper

Bring snacks and food from home, theres restaurants
and market right in town if you forget to and plenty
food vendors in the festival.

Get to know your camping neighbors- you could make
Friends that may become family and truly thats one reason
I love this festival- it can become a family reunion with
Epic music.

Bring good vibes be kind

If your neighbor offers you coffee and you sit down and you destroy their beach chair humbly apologize and make it right
(The board moderator knows this)

Please recycle.

DJ Big Jim

Riparian Roots Weds 8-11pm KLLG 97.9 Willits, CA (2016-)
Ridgetop Ranking Reggae Radio show (2011-2016)
KMEC 105.1fm Ukiah, CA
Uptown Top Ranking DJ/HOST (1997-2010)
KUCI 88.9FM Irvine, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2017 04:01PM by DJ BIG JIM.
May 17, 2017 03:22PM
ahh sleep... so if you want to sleep get a camping spot at Anderson Valley Brewery or one of the "off site" spots. It is only about a 10 minute walk from the festival. As far as advice goes... don't go "too hard" because you won't make it until the "late night" and to me that is where the gem of this festival is. The Dancehall... Obviously you want to see the headliners which can be very hard if you have been at it for 10 hours.. but the dancehall is not to be missed. Last piece of advice every year some band I have never heard of or had much interest in seeing blows me away, I would advise you to see as many of the bands as you can regardless if you know who they are.. Enjoy!
May 17, 2017 05:04PM
Spot on Ninja!

Keep on moving between
the two stages.
May 17, 2017 06:48PM
Last piece of advice every year some band I have never heard of or had much interest in seeing blows me away,

Word Ninja, so true

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
May 17, 2017 10:17PM
And you never know which band that will be beforehand. Gotta check em!

Love that reggae!
May 17, 2017 10:24PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info. Please keep it going.
May 19, 2017 03:29AM
If it's hot, go to the river during the day. It is amazing.
May 19, 2017 01:24PM
dumb question... where is the river? I have been to this festival for many years now and had no idea there was a river..
May 19, 2017 02:20PM
The Navarro River runs North of the festival. If you drive a few miles North there is amazing water holes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 02:22PM by westafari.
May 19, 2017 03:21PM
merci! good to know
May 19, 2017 05:58PM
May 22, 2017 08:19PM
Here are my favorite tips from over the years and things we've started doing yearly:

1. Be prepared for all types of weather - last year it rained. It can get warm during the day, I like to bring a spray bottle to keep cool.

2. We bring a 5 gallon water jug filled completely with ice and top it off with water, it gives us ice cold water throughout the entire weekend (obviously just keep topping it off as needed) and bring a reusable water bottle.

3. Bring extra blankets to sit on. Our group/family usually sets up a spot at both stages right when the gates open so we don't have to carry a blanket back and forth and usually depending on how many people you are going with, you guys might not always be at the same stages at the same time. Also works well to have those as a meet up spot.

4. Definitely bring your own snacks/food/drinks but also remember there are stores within walking distance in town for ice (get there in the am) and other snacks. The food vendors inside are great and so are the restaurants in town. The indian and greek food vendors are my fav go-tos every year.

5. From when the gates open for camping (if you get there in the am) you will have a lot of extra time friday until the gates to the venue opens/music starts. (Usually form 8-5) so be ready to relax/nap/take a walk into town/etc. Food vendors won't open til the evening either so unless you cook, your other options for food is just the restaurants in town.
May 22, 2017 09:50PM
Consult a competent Dr. of Reggaeology. There are a couple of strains of reggaemyolitis going around. One strain is eminently benevolent while the other is still sorting itself out.

But fear not and don't worry bout a thing cuz SNWMF is known for it's authentic positive family vibes

"Music is a part of us, and either ennobles or degrades our behaviour" - Boethius 480 - 524 AD
May 22, 2017 11:32PM

Extra Shade!!
Lot's of water!
Sunscreen!
Excellent walking shoes!
Hot days cold nights.
Camera!

RiverCreek aka Robbinjaye

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 11:33PM by RobbinJaye.
May 23, 2017 03:56AM
I find that having a lawn chair helps also.

Love that reggae!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login