Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RIP Frankie Paul

Posted by Dr Suess 
RIP Frankie Paul
May 19, 2017 01:45PM
Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilayhi Raaji'oon, another great artist gone.... May Allah give Frankie peace
Re: RIP Frankie Paul
May 19, 2017 01:46PM
Just heard this.. very sad..
May 19, 2017 03:42PM
May 19, 2017 03:45PM
ah man......RIP
May 19, 2017 03:45PM
Very sad to hear this. RIP Frankie.
May 19, 2017 03:54PM
Dennis Alcapone wrote: ·
Greetings Fb Family and friends. Another one of our Greats as Past away This morning. Frankie Dancehall Paul. So Sad as most of us know Frankie was suffering for a while back. Condolences to His Family and friends. Frankie gave us a lot of music to cherish for many Generations to come. How could we forget Tunes like Sarah. I know the Score. Worries in the Dance. Pass the Tu Sheng peng. Cssanova. And many many more Great tunes. Rest in Eternal Peace FP. Gone but won't be forgotten. Zion Awaits.
May 19, 2017 04:12PM
Damn. Damn. Damn.

One of the best show I've ever been to was a Frankie Paul show in Taos at the KTAOS Solar Center 5 years ago. He played a 2-1/2 hour show and dropped nearly all his hits. He really had an amazing voice.

Thank you for the music, Mr. Paul.
May 19, 2017 05:01PM
About 5 years ago I recorded a song with Frankie. He voiced in Gambia where he was living at the time. Due to a mistake on the engineers part the lost the session files after sending me the reference mp3.

Rather than sit there and say "not my problem" like many others would, Frankie went into his own pocket to re record the song at a studio while on tour in America. I already knew he was incredibly talented, but he earned major points with me for being ethical enough to correct the mistake thst most others wouldn't care about.
May 19, 2017 08:52PM
One of the best show I've ever been to was a Frankie Paul show in Taos at the KTAOS Solar Center 5 years ago. He played a 2-1/2 hour show and dropped nearly all his hits. He really had an amazing voice.

Wow, wow, Frankie was on my bucket list for years, and sadly,I never got to see him live. He was a larger than life voice and artist who was adored by his fans. He recorded very little filler.

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
May 19, 2017 09:57PM

Rodi wrote:
Frankie Paul, the prodigious Reggae star, died this morning in hospital in Kingston Jamaica, aged 52. His long battle with diabetes sadly led to him loosing his leg and further complications finally took their toll.

He will be remembered for his unique vocal styling and songwriting and despite being visually impaired, from a very young age, his remarkable ear for music led him to become one of Jamaica's most celebrated stars in the 1980's. He leaves us with a remarkable repertoire of hit songs.
Sincere and heartfelt condolences to his family.
David Rodigan
May 19, 2017 10:04PM
May 19, 2017 10:25PM
May 19, 2017 11:34PM
May 20, 2017 02:51AM
RIP Frankie no more suffering
May 23, 2017 02:54PM
@papaken -- yes, and that show at the KTAOS Solar Center turned out to be my only chance to see him -- and I went because of the strong recommendation of folks on this board, in particular Mr. Lord's strong advocacy of Dancehall Paul's music.

That's why I value this likkle community.
May 23, 2017 06:56PM
god bless frankie paul -- his suffering is over.

i've seen a lot of re-posting of this interview with him, mostly on facebook, so i thought i would share it here.
this is an interview we did with frankie in february of 2015.

we had very little time to prepare for it, but you just don't pass up a chance to chat with a true legend of his stature as you never know if the chance will come around again.

this interview we did was quite easily my most treasured and favorite show in almost 30 years of broadcasting reggae music. his joy for this music made it so playful and enjoyable -- zero stress or nerves. he is an entertainer's entertainer.

this interview clearly shows his genius, his talent, his powerful vocals and also his gargantuan sense of humor & fun. please check it to get a sense of what i mean...

RIP paul blake aka frankie dancehall paul.

[www.podomatic.com]

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
May 24, 2017 06:23PM
Always crisp and then some on the vocals, and far more talent than most of the field. His last show in my town saw him so weak he sat thru most of a short set, but it didn't matter----ladies swooned at his voice and men were cheering. If his health had not dogged him as it did and had been more robust, no telling what the last decade or more would have been for Mr. Paul. big respect.
June 20, 2017 09:14PM
FRANKIE PAUL SENT OFF IN FINE STYLE!
By: mrlindsay
June 19, 2017

BY BRIAN BONITTO
Associate Editor —
Auto & Entertainment
bonittob@jamaicaobserver.com

DESPITE Saturday’s inclement weather, a handful of entertainers, government ministers, family members and friends turned out to pay final respects to singer Frankie Paul at the Olson Memorial Church of God on Old Hope Road in St Andrew.
The occasion — which began nearly an hour and a half after its scheduled 10:00 am start — also saw Entertainment and Culture Minister Olivia “Babsy” Grange appealing to entertainers to put something in place for their “departure”, and not be a burden to those left behind.

“Let us get our act together! I don’t want to come to another funeral and hear stories that the individual has nothing in place for their death. Death is inevitable. Plan for it! It is unfair to your family and me. Organise yourselves and don’t leave the pressure on us when you go… You have to have a plan when you’re earning. The entertainment business is seasonal, but try getting into an insurance scheme. What if I’m not here?” she said.

The minister then asked all the entertainment fraternity members and family present to stand. She asked them to repeat after her:

“I commit today that I will play my part… to make it better for our families, to make us look better, so when we say goodbye, we say goodbye in fine style,” they said in unison.

Applause followed her appeal. Paul’s family reportedly had difficulty raising funds for the funeral; he died on May 18.

The service took on a concert feel, with tributes in performance by several artistes.

George Nooks sang Bridge Over Troubled Water and I Must Tell Jesus. Half Pint did a few lines of Paul’s Alicia before seguing into his smash hit Greetings. Junior Sinclair did his impression of Gregory Isaacs’ Night Nurse.

However, it was Luciano who made the tribute segment his. Despite being advised by the officiating minister that only one item could be taken, “The Messenjah” did a suite of songs, much to the delight of those on hand, who by now were dancing in the pews.

Cellphones were out in numbers, capturing every moment.

Luciano’s ‘set’ included Lord Give Me Strength and Sweep Over My Soul. He then went into a chorus-laced segment — We Are Rolling On, I Want A Revival In My Soul, Down By The River Side and Real, Real, Real.

“I had to show my respects! He is one of the singers who inspired me. Frankie Paul has always been an icon unto I and I. He was a trailblazer. When I came in music, many people said I sounded like Frankie Paul, so it was a great honor to be here. Rain or shine, I had to be here,” Luciano told the Jamaica Observer.

Frankie Paul (given name Paul Blake) is known for songs including I Know The Score, Worries In the Dance, Sara and Cassanova. The 51-year-old artiste died at the University Hospital of the West Indies of renal failure. He is survived by five children.

He was interred at Dovecot Memorial Park in St Catherine.

Half Pint paying tribute at the funeral

Singer Shirley McLean speaking with Desi Young (centre), president of the Jamaica Federation of Musicians; and Frankie Campbell, chairman of the Jamaica Association of Vintage Artistes and Affiliates.

Frankie Paul
June 20, 2017 09:29PM
Thanks for sharing the story Ras Adam. Glad to read Frankie was sent off proper.
June 20, 2017 09:59PM
No debt in death - Grange upset at lack of financial preparation
Published:Tuesday | June 20, 2017 | 6:00 AM Marcia Rowe

Minister of Culture, Entertainment, Gender and Sport Olivia Grange.

At Saturday's of thanksgiving for singer Paul 'Frankie Paul' Blake, Minister of Culture, Entertainment, Sport and Gender Affairs Olvia Grange was at one point hopping mad.

"A farewell service is the celebration of an artiste, the life of a musician or writer or composer. But in most instances it's not that I am sad about the passing of a great artistes but it is sad that individually their lives are so disorganised. I do not want to come back to another service and say get your act together." She told the musicians in particular and the congregation in general at the Olson Memorial Church of God, Hope Road, St Andrew,

She further implored artistes to plan ahead for their inevitable departure and out aside some money each time they work. Grange also had some words for the family members of some deceased artistes. She said they should stop asking for money and instead press their relatives to organise themselves and not leave financial problems when they go.

Support team crucial

Singers Luciano and Half Pint, as well as producer Steve Martin agreed with the minister.

Luciano told The Gleaner that he has two insurance policies and implied that he has some investments. "Many of the artistes have been through misfortunes and many of us do not get proper management. Sometimes family members do not give support, or sometimes, you do not have the support team," he said.

"Without the support team, you cannot make it." He continued, "Even Usain Bolt needs a support team behind him. Without his coach, he could not have made it today. So that is one of the things that you have to keep in consideration. The Government can do more to help people who have helped to build this country, or even put in place a culture council," he said.

Along with praising the minister for her "Nanny or Mammy" attitude towards the artistes, Half Pint said, "I have seen [when] many artistes die there is problem. Even Eddie Fitzroy had some problem. Sometimes we need people to assist we as we give weh more than we save. Everybody has so much great expectation from us. Some of us do as much, and some of overdo and do not know when to say no. Ms Grange is right; we need to get our act together."

He, too, is "taking care of myself. I am not sounding braggadocious. I make sure I save one and two. I have an insurance policy going on, which if ever I should fall, I know my son will get the return and bury me."

Martin said he has also put final plans in place for himself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login