Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Artist vs Person

Posted by Ninja 
Artist vs Person
May 19, 2017 04:59PM
I know this is not a new phenomenon but I think social media has made it more apparent.. some of these artists that we support through ticket sales etc. are less reasonable than Donny Trump. They say all the right things on stage but as soon as they cash that check and bounce back to their small worlds they support all kinds of f'd up ideas and movements. Just say this so that one and all are aware.
Re: Artist vs Person
May 19, 2017 07:39PM
agreed.

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
May 19, 2017 08:37PM
Piety in public...arrogance in private.. nothing new
May 19, 2017 11:10PM
Too few walk the talk, that is fosho.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
May 20, 2017 08:59AM
For sure! I was excited about so many more artists as a teenager and young adult, seems the list of those I rate, has become much more select.
May 22, 2017 03:58PM
ratings for musical performance are one thing... ratings as people... that is a completely separate issue. Maybe I am just getting old but I am tired of the entire authenticity discussion. I been dealing with this since the early days of HIP HOP music.. aka "keeping it real".. I never thought it would come into reggae music but the discussion of who is a real rasta and what makes you a real rasta etc... you just want to tell people to stfu and worry about themselves. It is crazy.
May 22, 2017 07:25PM
people often have trouble seeing past the messenger and never get the actual message itself.
May 22, 2017 10:04PM
Ranking Dread- great artist or gangster???

I'd say both

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
May 23, 2017 02:26PM
Gangsters are fine.. it is those that have no problem taking your money, putting on a show and then claiming that they are pure and the people who make up the audience are somehow flawed.. that is a worthless dynamic
May 24, 2017 06:11PM
Uh, living in St. Louis, there has been continual talk about artists such as Chuck Berry, Ike Turner, and others.

My basic tenet on the works of an artist/performer: IT IS WRITTEN NOWHERE A GREAT ARTIST IS ALWAYS A NICE PERSON.

At the service for Chuck Berry, I had to see 3 college aged women holding up signs mentioning Berry's transgressions(let's not even get into how black artists in the 1950s-60s were subjected to stark racism at the hands of cops & courts---don't get me started)...my favorite inane-ig'nant comment poster said the following:

eye rolling smiley'MAKE THE ARTS SAFE AGAIN'eye rolling smiley

Given my better half hates it when I publicly confront such idiocy, I only thought the following, instead of saying it:

'Hey, I bet you ladies LOVE Bob Marley...you know, 'Redemption Song', 'Get Up Stand Up'....WELL YOU SHOULD NEVER LISTEN TO HIM AGAIN. After all, Bob Marley beat his wife like the family mule when he caught her forging his name to a check , and did so badly enough it put his wife Rita in bed for several days....HEY, you look like someone who enjoys James Taylor----BETTER NEVER LISTEN TO HIM, Taylor was an abusive adulterous junkie P.O.S. , who made his wife Carly Simon experience hell on earth...thought you'd like to know!'

So it goes...performers are human, not objects of perfection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2017 06:17PM by papa ray.
May 24, 2017 07:08PM
papa ray
Uh, living in St. Louis, there has been continual talk about artists such as Chuck Berry, Ike Turner, and others.

My basic tenet on the works of an artist/performer: IT IS WRITTEN NOWHERE A GREAT ARTIST IS ALWAYS A NICE PERSON.

At the service for Chuck Berry, I had to see 3 college aged women holding up signs mentioning Berry's transgressions(let's not even get into how black artists in the 1950s-60s were subjected to stark racism at the hands of cops & courts---don't get me started)...my favorite inane-ig'nant comment poster said the following:

eye rolling smiley'MAKE THE ARTS SAFE AGAIN'eye rolling smiley

Given my better half hates it when I publicly confront such idiocy, I only thought the following, instead of saying it:

'Hey, I bet you ladies LOVE Bob Marley...you know, 'Redemption Song', 'Get Up Stand Up'....WELL YOU SHOULD NEVER LISTEN TO HIM AGAIN. After all, Bob Marley beat his wife like the family mule when he caught her forging his name to a check , and did so badly enough it put his wife Rita in bed for several days....HEY, you look like someone who enjoys James Taylor----BETTER NEVER LISTEN TO HIM, Taylor was an abusive adulterous junkie P.O.S. , who made his wife Carly Simon experience hell on earth...thought you'd like to know!'

So it goes...performers are human, not objects of perfection.

On the money, once again.
May 25, 2017 01:40PM
I don't find that shocking... sad.. but not shocking. It is just too bad when the reality of who people are vs what they do as a profession is so far apart.. I guess though in some ways we are all like this.. public vs private selves..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login