Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The elephant in the room...

Posted by Walter 
The elephant in the room...
May 24, 2017 04:06PM
Never mind...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2017 05:09PM by Walter.
Re: The elephant in the room...
May 24, 2017 04:30PM
May 24, 2017 04:41PM
Preparations? What, do you want a bunch of TSA types roaming the fairgrounds?
May 24, 2017 04:49PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2017 05:09PM by Walter.
May 24, 2017 04:51PM
Fear monger much?
May 24, 2017 06:01PM
Curious, what was the elephant?
May 24, 2017 06:14PM
chronicom420
Curious, what was the elephant?

YEP! good to go... for shizzle
May 24, 2017 09:31PM
Troubles never trouble we!!!
May 24, 2017 11:02PM
i'm curious what the elephant is too but only because i always value walter's opinion.
not sure i've ever seen him "tek back chat"...

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
May 24, 2017 11:41PM
He was referring to the Manchester terror attacks and what SNWMF is doing to prevent anything similar happening there...
May 24, 2017 11:53PM
Lucky the US does not knowingly harbor Islamic extremists, England has harbored extremist preachers for the longest time, stupid choice!
May 25, 2017 12:40AM
well personally i'd be far more worried about a terror attack from white male christian.
they happen far more often in this country.

hard to not harbor them though isn't it?

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
May 25, 2017 02:32AM
Yes. This.

mosquito killer
well personally i'd be far more worried about a terror attack from white male christian.
they happen far more often in this country.

hard to not harbor them though isn't it?

m.
May 25, 2017 01:41PM
Well when they do it you cant deny who did it.
Anyways reggae doesn't represent the evil empire so I think we'll all be fine.
May 25, 2017 03:51PM
this never even crossed my mind. If someone thinks this sort of thing would happen here then you might as well just stay in your house and never answer the door.
May 25, 2017 05:34PM
i'm curious what the elephant is too but only because i always value walter's opinion. not sure i've ever seen him "tek back chat"...

Was thinking EXACTLY the same thing smiling bouncing smiley
May 25, 2017 06:50PM
might be an aural assault of dubstep all night from your camping neighbor
May 25, 2017 07:12PM
The elephant in the room to me is the times of performances
May 25, 2017 07:16PM
Last year prior to SNWMF there was the attack in Orlando... I remember having a discussion with some fellow boardies in the press camp at last year's show... Despite the differences any of us it was obvious we were all quite on the same page - let's enjoy music, seeing friends and family. nature, and a great weekend in Boomville.

Extremism hits close to home. As a Muslim, I see a few sociopath clowns going out of there way to turn life into an "us against them" routine, when in truth the vast majority of the 1 billion plus of us have nothing to do with those ridiculous ideologies. Hell, Isis has killed more Muslims than any other group they've targeted. Nobody is more anti-muslm than Isis.

I also see the flipside of the coin in America where I see people attacking muslims on the road, assaulting muslim women, children, attacking mosques, Donald Chump talking about banning people, fueling the "us against them" concept.... Truth be told the situation in America right now is a large part of why I haven't brought my family to visit as yet.

I give thanks for a place like SNWMF where so many of us with so many different backgrounds, political views, religious views, tastes in music, etc... can come together and just enjoy life even if it's for a weekend. May the weekend find us all safe and happy... and may all evil and extreme ideologies whether it is a crazy skinhead of a crazy muslim be not only far away from boomville, but far away from this planet.
May 25, 2017 07:30PM
I was thinking the same thing, I wanna know the artists lineup!!!.....oh yeah and coombayah too!
May 25, 2017 10:54PM
Words of wisdom, Dr. Seuss.
May 25, 2017 11:13PM
"I give thanks for a place like SNWMF where so many of us with so many different backgrounds, political views, religious views, tastes in music, etc... can come together and just enjoy life even if it's for a weekend. May the weekend find us all safe and happy... and may all evil and extreme ideologies whether it is a crazy skinhead of a crazy muslim be not only far away from boomville, but far away from this planet."

You know James, while watching the excellent Bambino one year at SNWMF, I was thinking, man...bet this guy and his players have to watch BOTH sides; those from his home who would consider it (at least) a flogging offense to even play their music, and then from those who have the automatic phobia-reaction to anyone of the Muslim faith.

It's a screwy-as* phantom-house-of fear planet we have these days. And if the music wasn't playing....my goodness. Respect going out to those I know in Manchester England, and may they stand strong and never bow to the murderers.
May 26, 2017 01:57AM
I also give thanks for snwmf, one of the places in the world i feel most comfortable. There is much evil in the world, and it uses masks of all kinds, but i've never worried about anything while at snwmf. Music, family, friends, every little thing gonna be alright. Even though there is the Chronixx conflict.

Love that reggae!
May 26, 2017 03:11PM
I must say that to say a family is unsafe in America because they are Muslim is a ridiculous assertion. Also the same way anti-semitism created the need for the state of Israel the attempt is now to use islamaphobia as the reason and need for an Islamic state. The Islamic state says, "hey look they all hate you". There every attempt is to make muslims hated in the west. Just be mindful how you throw those claims of islamophobia around, it's a highly politicized claim and does little to help anyone.
May 26, 2017 03:30PM
strikkly
I must say that to say a family is unsafe in America because they are Muslim is a ridiculous assertion. Also the same way anti-semitism created the need for the state of Israel the attempt is now to use islamaphobia as the reason and need for an Islamic state. The Islamic state says, "hey look they all hate you". There every attempt is to make muslims hated in the west. Just be mindful how you throw those claims of islamophobia around, it's a highly politicized claim and does little to help anyone.

Not just muslim but muslim, black and Jamaican. Every muslim woman i know in my community who has tried to go for a US visa in the past couple years has been denied except for the ones willing to get rid of the hijab for the embassy interview.

It's not as bad in cali, which is very much its own cultural bubble, but go to some other parts of the country... I've had undercover cops with guns drawn running my info because walking to my friends house in florida at 4 in the afternoon is 'suspicious'. Though less extreme than that incident, I wind up in Line B at ft Lauderdale airport very often despite being a regular traveller with no criminal record anywhere in the world (unless my couple of JA speeding tickets makes me a suspicious character. ..)

The average bubba on the street isn't going to come trouble me as a healthy adult male, but I've seen what muslim women have to go through in America. I've seen rednecks standing in front of the mosque trying to intimidate women, children and the elderly... I've seen the amount of mosques set on fire (or Sikh temples attacked or vandalized by bigots who are too stupid to know the difference). I don't think most people are like that, but the sentiment is very real in America.
May 26, 2017 04:31PM
NOMO, what is the CHRONIXX conflict???

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
May 26, 2017 05:20PM
The only difference being that there is some legitimacy to the claim of Israel, whereas the Islamic state has zero legitimacy and actually has it's own heads of state to blame.
May 26, 2017 05:27PM
The bay area is hella diverse and international!!! Arab Americans have a long and diverse contribution to this nation. There is a Muslim congressman from Minnesota for crissakes!!! Get hip man.
May 26, 2017 05:28PM
To see & not to see - Chronixx vs Skints? confused smiley

papaken
NOMO, what is the CHRONIXX conflict???
May 26, 2017 10:52PM
Yes, chronixx vs skints. I saw Chronixx in march, so i will most likely stay at the village and see i taweh, the skints and Rankin Joe

Love that reggae!
May 26, 2017 11:28PM
The Skints? I'll take 2X Chronixx, thank you...
May 27, 2017 09:16AM
May 27, 2017 01:08PM
strikkly
The bay area is hella diverse and international!!! Arab Americans have a long and diverse contribution to this nation. There is a Muslim congressman from Minnesota for crissakes!!! Get hip man.

[edition.cnn.com]

Unfortunately these things are a reality still. Does it reflect everyone - obviously not. But it is a reality fueled by the tensions going on. The fact that there's 1 muslim congressman is irrelevant - America had a black president for 8 years and that didn't make everything allright for black people
May 27, 2017 03:12PM
After an evening of listening to videos i might be going for Chronixx again also!

Love that reggae!
May 27, 2017 05:37PM
it's not Muslims, Mexicans, Syrians or anyone from outside 'our' own borders, that we must keep an eye for these daze

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
May 27, 2017 08:19PM
The Islam that says that it's not safe for Muslims to live in the US is the wrong islam, just saying bro don't believe the hype or promote the hype for that matter. As far as a news incident being worth reacting to or even a string of incidents, if you went around building your worldview based upon reacting to incidents well that makes you a reactionary. We can do better than that! Religion and ethnicity are not a team and I believe it's the immature minds of today falling into all this group think and unconsciously reinforcing the worst aspects. I know you can think outside of the box! Give it a whirl, don't cling to your identity like a safety blanket.
May 27, 2017 08:53PM
Don't promote division, transcend it!!!
May 27, 2017 08:57PM
^^ Well said Strikkly! I'm not sure who this "you" you're talking to is though...
May 28, 2017 12:32AM
I assume the "you" in there is me...

Always enjoy strikklys reasonings even when I don't agree so I don't feel no way... it's just the way I see it, if me and my family can live and practice out religion here in Jamaica without the same issues many muslims have in America, I'm going to continue to do so here.

I don't hate America and I'm certainly not a guy who's gonna flee the west... it's just that based on how things are in the states right now, outside of my own personal business trips, if I was to take my family on vacation outside of jamaica there's a lot of other countries that right now would be less stressful for everyone involved than America. I'd love to see that change eventually and suspect it will.
May 28, 2017 04:13AM
Dr. Suess,

Would you share your coming to Islam? No judgement, just genuinely curious. Islam is a beautiful walk of faith IMO. I am a 'Rastafarian Christian' I-self (non affiliated).
Bless
May 29, 2017 07:02PM
Hate Crimes Against Muslims in the U.S.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2017 07:03PM by J_72.
May 29, 2017 08:11PM
IYah_Trod
Dr. Suess,

Would you share your coming to Islam? No judgement, just genuinely curious. Islam is a beautiful walk of faith IMO. I am a 'Rastafarian Christian' I-self (non affiliated).
Bless

It's a bit of a long story, will try to shorten it as I don't wanna bore anyone...

I've always had an interest in religions in general. Even still I like to read up on religions and worldviews that aren't necessarily mine.

I first started learning a bit about Islam around 2006, including going to Jumah with someone I was working with at the time in cali. What primarily drew me to Islam is the worship of God alone - not of a person, animal, nature, etc... Essentially, nothing created could be on par with the creator. I also loved the preservation of history that is important within islam - how it's determined which narrations of hadiths are more and less sound, how the Quran has been preserved in it's original language, etc....

In 2008 I was watching my friend's place in Negril and came across the Mosque on the west end. Knowing a little bit about the muslims I decided to stop in just to see what Jumah in Jamaica would be like - I wound up spending most of my weekend hanging out there and by the end of the weekend I took my Shahada. In the almost 9 years since I've been through a lot of good and bad. The ups and downs of the community, navigating the different outlooks - at times being too conservative for some while simultaneously being too liberal for others. etc... I'm not a great Muslim by any means but I'd like to think it's something that helps keep me in check.

Please forgive me if my thoughts seem a little disjointed - it's the third day of Ramadan and it's unusually hot down here lately

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2017 08:12PM by Dr Suess.
May 31, 2017 10:42PM
Greetings Dr. Suess,

Full respect. Give thanks for the very clear response. I would have replied sooner, but I have been travelling.
I had to look up Shahada, though it was what I suspected. It has been more than 20 years since I took my world religions course where we covered the basics of the major world religions. Anyone who can't respect and appreciate the benefits of the structure and discipline that is inherent in Islam is missing something, IMO. We all need something to help keep us in check. Bless you and yours during Ramadan and beyond.
June 01, 2017 04:06PM
Strikkly just a guess.. are you a "white man"? I am not saying that in any way shape or form to be negative.. I have a lot of white friends (yes that is sarcasm). I am saying it because of your comment about transcending division. I would like to know what you mean by transcend division before I comment further.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login