Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reggae on the River veteran,skipping this year

Posted by Ras Matches 
Reggae on the River veteran,skipping this year
June 05, 2017 01:21AM
So i been going to Reggae almost every year since 1997. This years line up leans way into the California Roots sound. I am more of a Roots reggae listener, so I'm skipping ROTR this year. This year will be my first time at SNWMF. I would love to hear the tricks and tips to arriving and getting a nice spot.i am coming from the Bay Area. If you don't want to share the secrets of arriving to all, please PM me. Thanks!

Edit: Couple more questions. Are the music areas shaded, is there any shade? Camping- do we park and camp on asphalt or dirt?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2017 11:33PM by Ras Matches.
Re: Reggae on the River veteran,skipping this year
June 05, 2017 03:17PM
lot less chaotic to get into SNWMF than ROTR.. lot more comfortable camping.. I will say though the only two acts at ROTR that lean towards Cali Roots are Slightly Stoopid and Stick Figure.. Stick Figure played here too and they were pretty good. Other than that Agent Sasco, Kabaka, Junior Kelly, Sly and Robbie, Jahdan... the line up at ROTR is VERY heavy on great reggae acts.. SNWMF is too and it is more my pace.. anyway, just come, enjoy and you will be back.
June 05, 2017 07:14PM
Keep in mind you can't pick your spot for camping. When you arrive, the campground fills up back to front meaning the earliest arrivals have the spots in the far back, furthest from the festival grounds. You have way less foot traffic back there but a longer walk to the music. The later you arrive the closer you'll be to the festival gate. I generally arrive around noon and am in the middle of the mix. bless up the chalwa.
June 05, 2017 07:27PM
OR... depending on your tolerance for loud noise at 4 am... the Anderson Valley Brewery is just up the road and you can pick your spot.. thery open for camping on Thursday
June 05, 2017 07:43PM
Well, I'll be attending ROTR this year. I WAS a regular attendee for many, many years. It's been a while for me now but I would NEVER miss a chance to catch my favorite female roots artist: DEZARIE....!
June 05, 2017 09:17PM
I knew you'd be there daniel!

Love that reggae!
June 05, 2017 11:44PM
Yes, yes. Dezarie is THE only reason I might go. I'm hoping it wont sell out and I can drive up from San Jose to catch her on a one day ticket ,Saturday night. I had tickets to 3 different shows last year and she didn't show up. ROTR has been known to bait and switch the performers, so i really really hope she comes. PLUS if she's coming around, then chances are she'll do a little NorCal tour.

Ninja, yes many roots performers.including Dezarie, Hugh Mundell,Sly and Robbie, the I-threes and many more. I have just seem most all of them several times.
I think me not going to the whole festival is somewhat of a boycott on my part. When the Monterey bay reggae festival went away, the California Roots took over. It's just a different type of crowd. I remember the old days when you could leave your wallet, herb, drink and bong out-and no one would even think about touching it. I had 2 different chairs stolen at 2 different California Roots festivals, its a different vibe. And now Slightly Stoopid is headlining,I'm OK with skipping this year to check SNWMF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2017 11:48PM by Ras Matches.
June 05, 2017 11:45PM
I am truly grateful that I do not have to pick. I find that they compliment each other very well.

But I will say it's a fabulous year to check SNWMF, the line up is on point this year.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2017 11:49PM by DJ Treez.
June 06, 2017 12:05AM
yeah I remember back in 95 leaving all my stuff out and not even thinking about it.. herb, sound etc... the last year I went to ROTR was 2006... I was a volunteer.. some punk ass kids about 15 years old threatened to spash me with liquid LSD because I told them they couldn't go into the volunteer camp without wristbands... That was the nail for me.. just dumb people living up to their title of dumb people
June 06, 2017 01:40AM
no bait and switch with Dezarie showing up at ANY of the events she's scheduled for this time around... trust me...
we'll be catching her the same weekend as RotR, here inna Potland area at Pickathon

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
June 06, 2017 03:03AM
Ras Matches, Dezarie is playing Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz on 8/10/2017. I already have tickets.
June 06, 2017 08:23PM
Yes! I just got my ticket! Only 20 bucks. For sure she'll do more shows in the area. Confirmed, I'm am skkipping ROTR

I can't help it, I must see Dezarie ,Midnite and Akea Beka as many times as possible,. I hope Reggae on the River has 1-day tickets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2017 11:39PM by Ras Matches.
June 06, 2017 11:35PM
Couple more questions. Are the music areas shaded, is there any shade? Camping- do we park and camp on asphalt or dirt?
June 06, 2017 11:59PM
The main bowl is out in the sun, but there's a huge canopy in the back portion of the music bowl. The village stage in the redwood trees and makes for a nice respite from the sun when it gets hot.

You park and camp on grass, which will no doubt look more like dirt by the end of the festival..
June 07, 2017 05:12AM
The river this year is going to be off the chain. 20 years in a row for me (ROTR and RR). First year was 1997. I will never miss it unless it's cancelled. Tom Dimmick still sucks.
June 07, 2017 03:07PM
Ninja, yes many roots performers.including Dezarie, Hugh Mundell,Sly and Robbie, the I-threes and many more. I have just seem most all of them several times.

Ras Matches, you've seen Hugh Mundell several times??! Do tell please.

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
June 07, 2017 03:12PM
yeah i saw that too ken, and figured he meant someone else -- but i have no idea who.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
June 07, 2017 03:32PM
No, I have never seen Hugh Mundell and many of the other acts but I have seen many of them multiple times. I cant count how many time I've seen Sly and Robbie.

You know what? I was thinking of Winston Jarret NOT Hugh Mundell, Thanks for the note

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2017 03:35PM by Ras Matches.
June 07, 2017 03:52PM
Hugh Mundell's Bay area shows from what I can't confirm: I would have loved to be at ANY of these back whey:

July 1981, The Stone, San Francisco.

4 October 1981, Reggae Sunblast Festival, Greek Theatre, Berkeley, California. Also on the bill are Judy Mowatt, Marcia Griffiths, Joe Higgs, The Wailers Band, and Wailing Souls.

Mundell appeared in the Bay area in December 1981 where he played a reggae roots festival along with Wailing Souls, Raskidus, Joe Higgs & Unity, and Uprising at the Oakland Auditorium on 11 December and the Japan Center Theater on 12 December.[6]

30 May 1982, Keystone, Berkeley, California, backed by I-DREN, an all-Jamaican band hailing from the bay-area.

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
June 07, 2017 10:56PM

so I'm skipping ROTR this year. This year will be my first time at SNWMF.

I did Reggae on the River for 15 years and I have to say... I love Reggae on the River but the old days before Reggae Rising was where it was at.

I have done SNWMF since Marysville and I have to say that BOONVILLE SNWMF for the last 11 years has been my favorite reggae fest!

Reasons: The atmosphere, the smell of the trees, the whole venue is beautiful. The sounds of the festival being built you can hear and feel. Heidi has conformed the festival into the perfect operation. The town is sweet, everything is close to each other. At Reggae on the River you have to walk for MILES AND MILES AND MILES which makes you exhausted by the end of the week.. At Boonville everything is right there. If you need ice you just walk across the street and get it. At Reggae it takes all day to get your ice and hope it's not melted when it gets back to camp. The Village stage is awesome in all the trees. The trees are plentiful. I love the whole vibe at Boonville Reggae. Smaller knit venue and awesome vibe. Reggaes dome is okay but the dancehall at SNWMF is awesome for the cold nights. Don't have to walk miles to get to it either.

So much more I can say...

Don't get me wrong I still love you Reggae... but when you work at Reggae it is RUFFING IT and it's hard! At SNWMF it's beautiful.

RiverCreek aka Robbinjaye
June 07, 2017 11:03PM
Love Dezarie....

RiverCreek aka Robbinjaye
June 09, 2017 06:36AM
Good call RobbinJaye. Nicely said. I'm not tired at the end of Sierra like ROTR.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login