Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What did you like best about this years festival?

Posted by nomotrouble 
What did you like best about this years festival?
June 20, 2017 04:11AM
Aside from the overwhelming feelings of love and connection to humanity that i feel every year at Sierra Nevada, the biggest improvement this year for me was Jah coming down and taking away the massive subs in the photo pit at the Valley Stage. The fill speakers across the front of the stage were awesome. Seemed like plenty of low end still. Music was top notch. Kim Yulhee rocking the steel pan.

Love that reggae!
Re: What did you like best about this years festival?
June 20, 2017 05:14AM
The artist line-up was great. Every year I look forward to being introduced to new artists. For me this year, that would be Dennis Bovell. Of course, I like seeing artists I haven't seen before but already know about also. For me my favorite performers were Chronixx, Gappy Ranks, Capleton and Christopher Ellis (though I did appreciate all the other artists as well.)

The Port-O-Showers were amazing. Seriously loved having that! I hope those return next year. Also, very much appreciated the hydration stations... Please continue that as well!

While I didn't go to the Silent DanceHall (kids!), I did hear from many that they enjoyed the experience!

Thank you to the organizers; Year 16 going to these festivals in the books!!
June 20, 2017 05:32AM
I couldn't make it this year due to financial reasons. I'm curious about the sets from Capleton, Macka B, Ranking Joe, and LSP inna dancehall. Any reports?
June 20, 2017 06:22AM
As you say Nomo, the Love n connections with friends from near n far (some who you only get to see once a year at snwmf) felt especially nice this year. Its great that you have your wife coming now too. I was not there for all of it, got there later than planned on Sat. after some car issues, but most of what I saw I fulljoyed! The highlight for me was Macka B, as I anticipated he would be and always is! Its pretty awesome to see his new found popularity, always have loved his originally and intelligence... I think that may have been the best performance I have seen from King Shango, the sound quality was excellent and the energy high (not just in jumping) the beautiful lighting topped it off (same with Tarrus). Singy Singy also put on a well polished set, as expected. Missed most of Anthony B, but what I did here n see, was some higher heights delivery. NST & The Soul Sauce, was my new discovery for the weekend, was very impressed by not just how good they sounded, but also by the over all vibe they brought, a humbleness, no hype at all. Speaking of hype, I'd say my biggest turnoff was Gappy, who sounded like a spoiled child complaining over n over again about his time slot... He could have done another song in the amount of time he spent complaining, quite a contrast in running his set, compared to some of the pros from the night before... with seamless delivery. Not to mention that so many others have played in that time slot and earlier, who are far beyond him in 'status' n rank (no pun intended) #HumbleYourself, and speaking of humble, Prez came with his consistent consciousness and upful vibes. I know some were not happy with the last minute replacement of Mr Andy, but differently from that, and considering the temp at that point, nuff raspect is due. Third World was sounding nice and reminding me of being a teen, but at that point it was time to go, had to touch the rd, after not much sleep and a whole heap of heat! As mentioned above, the water stations were great, refreshing, less plastic waste.... Thank you very much Warren, Gretchen (was nice reasoning with you, if you see this) Daniel and so very many more that make it all happen, JAH Bless the GOOD Works, may they always stand!
June 20, 2017 04:06PM
Festival wise for me it was seeing friends who were able to make it this year; and the water misters they had hanging from one of the tents backstage.

Musically, Marla Brown and NST & The Soul Sauce were the highlights for me.
June 20, 2017 05:31PM
1. NST & The Soul Sauce
2. Macka B
3. Anthony B
4. Marla B (Brown)
5. re-connecting with good folks not seen since last year

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
June 20, 2017 05:33PM
Chronixx and Tarrus Riley!! I could watch them perform all day.
June 20, 2017 05:53PM
Top three were Marla Brown, Capleton & Macka B. I had an AMAZING time, really great to see everyone! Give thanks to all that contributed.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
June 20, 2017 06:12PM
Chronicom420, you are going to like my recordings. got all of chronixx, rankin joe, I Taweh on the valley, NST and the Soul Sauce twice, Macka B, and Tarrus Riley.

Love that reggae!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2017 06:15PM by nomotrouble.
June 20, 2017 06:30PM
Thanks Nomo I will definitely check them out!
June 20, 2017 07:51PM
nomotrouble
Aside from the overwhelming feelings of love and connection to humanity that i feel every year at Sierra Nevada, the biggest improvement this year for me was Jah coming down and taking away the massive subs in the photo pit at the Valley Stage. The fill speakers across the front of the stage were awesome. Seemed like plenty of low end still. Music was top notch. Kim Yulhee rocking the steel pan.

All those bass bins right in your face in front of the stage was one of several reasons I stopped going to this festival...I could never understand why that was ever allowed for so many years.
June 20, 2017 08:56PM
Highlights were Macka B, Ranking Joe, Paolo Baldini Dubfiles and Mellow Mood in the dancehall. NST, Talking Dreads, the Skints, and Third Wold were also excellent. The overall production was nice, as usual. We had a terrific time at the fest and around the valley all weekend.

Gappy Ranks was like a turd in the punchbowl. He lost a long time fan with his egotistical vibes. Won't bother with him again.
June 20, 2017 10:33PM
Giving thanks for another fantastic reunion and gathering!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gentleman, I thought he put on a fantastic show and was bummed to have to leave early. Last time I saw him was his first appearance in the US at SNWMF years ago, and I thought he did a great job again of warming up the crowd nice, singing beautifully , and also bringing a rougher side to mash it up.

Mellow Mood was great, still young, improving and surely will continue to escalate.

Chronixx put on a great show, good to see him again after recent tour, very polished and finessed, he has improved greatly over the past few years.

Saturday

- caught most of Christopher Ellis, great singer, nice to check him
- Macka B I was really excited about and glad to see, but wasn't actually that impressed. I fully raspect Macka as a crucial old school artist, he seemed to do a bit more yelling, then chantin in my opinion. Still glad to have seen him, enjoyed Medical component
- from here on was hotta fya...Anthony B was great, Tarrus killed it as usual, very polished, Capleton was excellent, wish I could have seen more.

**Wish they had saved some of Friday's headliners for Sunday

Sunday
- started off with Gappy, and while I agree he was annoying griping about his time, he was right, he should have been on later. He put on a great show and the segment with Rocker T and Christopher Ellis was great, hope he didnt jeapordize coming back.

- prez brown did put on a great show as usual and is super dependable (would have enjoyed them pulling Danny I, Pressure, or another local artist , or currentyl touring, but was still great)

- 3rd world, not my cup of tea, but still pretty nice

- barrington was solid as always, great stage show performer, a little played out, but classic, and we have to fulljoy the music while it is here, too many great artist passed away and we no longer are blessed with their presence

Facilities
- loved the water hydration stations, wish there was one in the valley bowl stage area instead of having to exit the back and go to the bathrooms to get water, may be a few more sites?

- was it just me, or was there no recycling this year? This was a major loss and a ton of plastic went in to the land fill

- bathrooms by village stage locked again this year? bummer, free it up

- no past year's posters around pavillion? were they somewhere else? I love walking down memory row

- Otherwise, great vibes and fully thankful for the masses that put on the fest and all those that support, until we meet again, jah guide
June 21, 2017 01:07AM
For me it is always the gift of being able to spend time with friends from near and far (including New York and Colorado this year), that I don't get to see enough of, and meeting new people. I echo the sentiments of Haile Bless and Ras Danny, and would only add that I loved Marla Brown's set as well. I also found The Skints to be refreshingly different and high energy.

I want to also give a special shout out to the Security Crew, Kathy et al who promptly helped me retrieve my insulin pump controller from under the bleachers on a very hot day. I stayed cool and calm knowing they were on it and really appreciated the thoughtfulness and the concern. I will not be getting up so fast next time to let someone pass. Dumb.

Lastly, the water refilling stations were also heartening to see for those of us who travel with water bottles. It would be cool to sell water bottles with the line up each year smiling smiley 25th anniversary edition smiling smiley

Give thanks to one and all who came to support and all who volunteer their time. It's a magical few days each year.
I am thankful, and blessed.
June 21, 2017 03:26AM
I'm so sorry we missed Marla, as I said above car issues made us late. Also intended to make it over to Keith n Tex but there was so much going on, that we never did.
June 21, 2017 07:32PM
Na'ann Bread
------
*Playing the opening DJ set @ Valley Stage
Exco Levi
Chronixx
Ranking Joe
Paolo Baldini
*Playing a dubwise DJ set @ Village Stage
Marla Brown
Christopher Ellis
Anthony B.
Capleton
Gappy Ranks
+
Family
Friends

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 21, 2017 08:31PM
I did get the Skints too.

Love that reggae!
June 29, 2017 12:07AM
By far for me was the people and the overwhelming amount of compliments from friends, colleagues, artists, fans, staff, and people I never met before on my work in the press tent. I take so much pride in, and have so much love for what I do, to see that my work actually affects people is very humbling and extremely gratifying. I started coming in 2004 for the music, working press since 2010 kept me coming back, but ultimately my love for the people and the total experience is the reason my son and I made our 10th SNWMF straight and 11th total. I am truly thankful to Warren and Gretchen (who is always so very sweet to me) for putting in so much effort in keeping SNWMF alive, as well as the countless people who make it happen. Daniel, Heidi, Jah Bill, Corrine, Ras James, Mark Dailey, Alisha Goodrich, and so many more who's names escape me at the moment, you help make my Father's day weekend the most special tradition in my life. So very blessed to see so many of my festival family this year. Musically wise Maka B and Capleton were highlights for me and Miss Marla Brown gave the sweetest, most love filled interview of the weekend. I have lots more to say but I'll make this fairly short. SNWMF is in my blood, and I love everything about it with all my heart and soul. I miss you all already, and am counting the days till our 25th anniversary show. I pray that I will see you all next June in the Ville of da Boom! grinning smiley Blessings

~Highest Heightz Every Time~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2017 02:46AM by Danny Crucial.
June 29, 2017 12:41AM
found a nice purple fluorite specimen to add to our collection... my family enjoys adding one each year to remember the journey...

June 29, 2017 02:46AM
smileys with beer

June 29, 2017 05:52PM
My Crew~> My Dawgs~> thumbs upthumbs up
SNWMF Site Crew (-1)

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
June 29, 2017 10:01PM
caution tape headband + sledgehammer + mustache = thumbs up

June 30, 2017 01:21AM
HiGrade1
caution tape headband + sledgehammer + mustache = thumbs up

That Kid's a Star*

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
June 30, 2017 04:29AM
i've never in X amount of years seen a post that was meant to express a person's favorite take away from the entire festival experience that ended up centering around themselves. it's always been praise for warren & gretchen, it's been about vibes, about extended family, the full experience, the food, the music and more.

so -- danny crucial, please tell me that since your favorite take away from the entire festival wasn't the vibes, it wasn't the food, unbelievably it's wasn't the the people you only see once a year, nor was it the incredible music -- since your favorite take away from the entire experience according to you, was all the compliments on how you ran the press tent...

...will there be archived and usable press tent material from this year's festival, since there hasn't been any material archived for most of the years you have been in charge?

if so, when do you expect said material to be available to folks that are interested?

thanks - i know this might seem harsh, but jeez, time to get real and quit playing and stroking.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
June 30, 2017 05:28AM
Geez mk, he wrote a full paragraph about his love for the festival and everyone involved with it. Ease up the pressure and slow your roll!
June 30, 2017 05:42AM
you know, i almost took back my chat (which i hate doing) cuz it was harsh. but really, they are his words..."by far"; really? by far?

and it's also never really been addressed, the press tent material--which he is in charge of, but he asks daniel about every year.

danny crucial, let us know about the potential archived material.

this was the first year in 20 whatever that i couldn't attend because of health issues, so photos and nomos videos and some hopeful press tent interviews--thats how i'm living it.

he's bragging on it, and so i'm hoping to hear it.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
June 30, 2017 06:54AM
well, i had to get out of bed because it's nagging at me, and just say this directly to mr.crucial, and him alone: i'm sorry.

i'm not sure why i had to make this personal, but i did. i would love any press tent material, of course, but that doesn't mean i need to trash you about it, and i really did; it's shitty. it's super petty and i would have thought, beneath me.

you did nothing to deserve my rant tonight, and i'm embarrassed. again, sorry. all you're doing is volunteering at a reggae festival -- damn.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
June 30, 2017 02:36PM
MK: I believe some clarification is in order....

1. Danny Crucial, aka Ras Smoka, does not 'run the press tent'. That responsibility falls on Ras James, aka Dr. Suess and his able-bodied assistant Mark Daily. Danny is one of the PC moderators.

2. Ras James was in charge of and is in possession of all of this year's recordings. He's furnished me with the conference audio for 10 artists on Sunday morning, and I have already requested that he furnish me with the remainder of this year's recordings, which I believe are forthcoming.

3. Once I have all the audio from this year, I will: 1) upload them so as to make them available to members of the press; and, 2) create a page for everyone to listen to them (which will take some time on my part).

4. The PC audio from 2015 was lost due to technicalities that need not be elaborated upon in this thread. The audio from last year was never furnished to me. I may be off base but, suspect, that the prior threads on these topics is what formed the basis for your ire of last night.

5. From my standpoint, this year's press tent runnings were THE BEST EVER. The tent was constantly filled with both artists to be interviewed as well as people participating in the interviews. In addition to a 'white board schedule' in front of the press tent, Mark set up a 'text-alert- system so that those members of the press who gave their cell phone numbers received text alerts regarding any changes in the schedule of artists appearing in the press tent.

I believe kudos are in order for Ras James, Mark, Danny Crucial, DJ Jacques and ALL the staff and volunteers who worked in the press tent this year. I'm just sorry you weren't around to see it for yourself and participate Michele.....
June 30, 2017 02:39PM
Returning to my day job after a cali trip has things a little crazy this week but the rest of the interviews not furnished to Daniel as yet (mostly Sunday interviews and a couple friday ones that need some audio touch up) should be to him early next week
June 30, 2017 03:29PM
ras smoka/danny crucial -- i sincerely apologize. forget all the press tent stuff, i shouldn't have called you out personally, especially on a public forum. i feel like it was a bit out of character for me, and it's embarrassing. who needs to be intentionally mean?

thanks for the clarifications james, and i do look forward to checking the interviews. glad this years press tent was as successful as you say!

i almost didn't want to check the board this morning because i was embarrassed about my a**holiness last night; i thought i'd be getting teared a new one. wouldn't have been shocked -- what i did wasn't cool.

frankly i'm hoping to move past this to shorten my embarrassment, and any i may have caused the mighty ras smoka.

sorry danny, fi real.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
June 30, 2017 03:41PM
What I appreciated this year about the press tent was the volunteer who would come into the photo pit and tell media what artist was in the press tent at that moment or about to come in. My health kept me from making the trip down to the Village Stage as much as I would have liked and I knew I probably wouldn't make it there for Keith and Tex but when she whispered in my ear in the photo pit they were in the press tent I immediately made it over there. This happened several times and again I really appreciated her assistance. I created the first tent press tent at Reggae on the River in 1990 and ran it for many years and I know what it takes. It wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for KMUD radio which to this day still runs it in conjunction with the radio live remote. Thanks to all who run it at SNWMF!!!
June 30, 2017 04:20PM
Nice article from the Anderson Valley Advertiser

Music Never Dies

by Steve Heilig, June 28, 2017

Ahh, those Anderson Valley mornings. At the Mosswood before things heated up it was calm and happy, the smiling lovely staff providing truly wonderful coffee, and there were open seats out front. I plunked my oat scone and cup down with my newspapers and sat. Before I got a good gulp down a guy sat next to me. He had no festival wrist band and looked like he might be a local (whatever that looks like). But before I could either ask or bury my face behind the daily catastrophes, he said:

"Did you hear about the UN?"

Uh oh, I thought.

"They took my truck and my storage unit in Venezuela and Katy is trying to sell my stuff up here too..."

What the heck, I thought, might as well learn about some international intrigue and who the hell Katy might be, and engaged him in a "conversation." It seems legendary rock promoter Bill Graham still owed him tons of cash, and the international cabals were after him, and so forth. I waited for something about vaccines or chemtrails while I sipped and glanced at the news but eventually lost track of his many trains of thought until he said "My family owns that place down the street but they won't let me near it."

Gee, I wonder why, I thought. But I love sitting out there in the mornings and seeing the parade of people from all over, many if not most visiting the Sierra Nevada World Music Festival at the fairgrounds. Sunburnt revelers, farmers legal or not, beautiful women, happy kids, hungover partiers, euphoric music lovers, whole families, world travelers, grizzled road veterans, incognito jillionaires, exhausted staffers and volunteers, internationally renowned musicians, you name it, they pass through on the essential morning search for coffee and baked goods. And the temperature was still at a very pleasant moderate level. Even the seemingly fairly high concentration of the questionably sane, both domestic and imported, becomes not only tolerable but worth a listen - for awhile.

"Music Never Dies," read the shirt of one of the veteran reggae photographers prowling the stage. The 24th annual version of the festival would seem to serve as evidence of that. Among the SNWMF crowd each year is a cadre of veteran reggae fanatics and scholars, some of whom are DJs who spin records in-between acts, and/or radio DJs, and/or just collectors of obscure Jamaican records. It's a kind of reunion each year, as this event has long been known for bringing old school reggae acts who have appeared few or no other places in recent decades. Conversations among this group can be both erudite and nostalgic. "Is our kind of music dead yet?" was one ongoing lament heard. The debate about the state of reggae is now itself decades old, and not just due to the extremely challenging economics of the music industry in the digital age. Certainly "roots" reggae, which arose and some would say peaked four decades ago, is now something of a cult phenomenon. The fact that there is a longstanding and somewhat ill-defined "revival reggae" movement proves the point. And classic artistes are ever harder to bring to the stage, even if they are still with us. This year there were really only a couple on the roster. Is this like a previous aging generation turning out for, say, Frank Sinatra, albeit with differing refreshments of choice?

Not quite. Beyond the themes of romantic love, roots reggae, besides having many irresistible rhythms and melodies, speaks lyrically of what might be called human rights, economic struggles, and the unique philosophies of Rastafarian spirituality. Even if one does not fully subscribe to or even understand all that, it can be a compelling alternative to the materialism and hedonism of mainstream rock and disco and other types of music. It continues to draw a fanatical all-ages group of listeners worldwide, and not just due to the link with pot. The SNWMF may not be a huge event like, say, Outside Lands or Coachella, but a few thousand loyal fans vow not to miss it - and some other similar reggae-themed festivals - each year. It's a tribute to the lasting quality of real reggae and other authentic sounds. There is a reason Jamaica has been called "the loudest island in the world" and it is not due to volume, but the spread of the reggae sound internationally. I once found a Bob Marley cassette in the Sahara desert, and his "Exodus" album has been called the best album of the century by TIME Magazine. Smoke that, Sinatra.

"Roots music reminds us of things we are supposed to remember" read the festival program."It's about love and freedom and the human heart and soul." So, when an artist like Tarrus Riley or Third World (celebrating their 40th year as a band) or Ranking Joe or Lee "Scratch" Perry (82 years old) or Barrington Levy or Chronixx or even Capleton launch into a signature tune, old or new, and the mass of people aged from their teens on up sing along with gusto, it is indeed something to hear. Onstage, yes, the band can hear that chorus roar. It's inspiring whether you know the song or not. A couple of times my hair stood on end. Mass joy is contagious stuff. There were many other non-reggae acts from around the globe bringing that spirit as well, from Haiti, Korea, Africa, Latin America, New Zealand, and more. At least three of the reggae acts were the offspring of roots music icons, and one called himself a "grandson of reggae." Music never dies, indeed.

Alas, on Sunday, the festival's final day, things got a bit too tropically authentic. Seeing the projection of temperatures spiking beyond any comfort level, we escaped early to the coast over the crumbling but beautiful Manchester road for a lovely morning in Point Arena, and by the time we turned back inland on 128, the car thermometer ticked up like a clock from 70F at the coast to 105F in Boonville. It had became an oven in the fairgrounds. The medical zone became a full house of overheated humans lying down with ice and even lines into their arms for rehydration. Even some staff and musicians went down. Ambulances out front waited for the possibility of transport over the hill - fortunately not needed.

Inside the fairgrounds things were relatively sedate, the heat forcing folks to seek shade even when rousing bands were onstage. A hardcore cadre of stalwart dancers braved the direct sun throughout the day anyway, though, and in the late afternoon the rays slant in from coastwise and hit them right in their eyes. People cluster in the shade on the north side and slowly migrate over as it moves. True troopers. On Friday evening and Saturday it had been plenty warm but tolerable, so in that aspect at least, we'd lucked out. Three days of that heat could have been lethal. But it seems everybody survived, and the three cops standing around as the festivities wound down confirmed they'd had no problems at all, all weekend.

After partaking a bit of the new "silent disco" in the big barn, wherein everybody gets headphones to tune in via wifi to the DJs spinning yes, roots music and it looks like a mass of fireflies bouncing quietly in the darkened hall, we crossed the street to Lizzby's where the taco stand was still set up out front, bless them. An adorable little girl took my cash and we had a bilingual counting lesson while she made change. Then it was quiet while we sat back and waited for our tamales and tacos. No cars passed by and few lights were on; the stars winked above. For one extended weekend, we'd had a break from the slow-motion national nightmare. Blessed be the music makers. May they never die.

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
June 30, 2017 07:30PM
Actually MK I have been lead press tent moderator for the past 4 years or so since Jah Breeze left, but am in charge of nothing concerning SNWMF. I actually feel you had every right to take my post the wrong way. It was actually eating me up since I posted it. When I read it back I saw the glaring misrepresentation of what I actually wished to convey. I really didn't mean it to come off that way. I really love this festival and am always proud to be a part. I apologize to everyone for making the post seem all about me as this was not my intention. I just wanted to share my blessed weekend, and should have maybe worded it better. I would hope that everyone that does a job takes pride in their works and can freely share that emotion with friends and colleagues. I know I can come off as a bit offensive at times, but fortunately I feel this is an internet trait and not really the true heart of Danny Crucial. I accept your apology, although I did not see all the comments, and I sincerely hope that the boardies will accept mine. I would like to be known for being full of love, respect, and appreciation for all that is SNWMF, rather than being full of myself and/or full of crap!

June 30, 2017 07:38PM
Thank you.

July 01, 2017 03:30PM
Such are the dangers of posting words on the internet. I know you are both huge reggae lovers, missed you MK, and i love you both. It's always better when you talk it out.

Love that reggae!
July 09, 2017 05:33PM
Another one in the books -respect and thanks for being able to reunite with so many that I hold so close to my still beating heart.

Friday was all Valley for me and my first timer Girl friend: Exco Levi was a solid opening act -I was impressed with his energy though I wasn't familiar with a lot of his material....Mellow Mood was Ok by my ears-I enjoyed their set at 1:00pm Sunday in 2016 a little more -their excitement level , harmonies and songs seemed less self conscious last year..maybe they are trying too hard to live up to quite a bit of hype..

.My first time seeing Chronixx was well worth the wait: his singing wasn't perfect but I'm splitting hairs-his band cooked and he rode the rhythms all the way through-not a lot of haul and pull up bs-this guy restored my faith a bit in Roots Reggae and how great it can sound live on a superior system..As Chronology has been released this week, I quote Lloyd Stanbury.." there were similar critics of Bob Marley about adjusting traditional roots reggae to satisfy the mainstream music market back in the day when he decided to record 'Punky Reggae Party' and 'Exodus'. We should not lose sight of the fact that Chronixx is 24 years old and has managed to engage the young and the old"...And, as CVP said about the hype for Chronology..." Tarrus Riley deserved this kind of attention but didn't get it..you'd have to go back to Luciano's "Where there Is Life" I think? for "an example of an excellent overall work with both reggae and other pop elements working together"... I also loved the live delivery of 'Majesty' which took the Spinners and Otis Gayle ode to another worldly militant side.. ......I was looking forward to Gentleman and, in the tradition of Sierra Nevada,there was a decision to be made: Gentleman made the option rather easy as his fist pointing and hopping and shouting just didn't resonate with my expectation soooo.. Ranking Joe was another story -the bionic dread was bubbling at perfect volume when we arrived....his style is thoroughly enjoyable and it was great to see him finally get a set working on the Village stage. My friend from Texas grew up on George Jones and bands like Firefall ; Ranking Joe was one of her favorites of the weekend; she kept saying 'that old school guy on Friday night was killer'...BIG UP JOE!

Saturday was an irie marathon. We ambled over for our first taste of the village stage and were treated to Marla Brown-the daughter of Dennis Brown. Sweet and tough, Marla didn't rely exclusively on her Dad's hits which was a relief. Her band sounded a bit light but it was nevertheless a nice start to the day. Itaweh is an extremely polished musician and his Valley set served as a background to our roaming the grounds for souvenirs for our children.

The Seoul, Korea based band known as Windy City, played Sierra Nevada a couple of years ago , and as good as they were , it couldn't have prepared anyone for NST and the Soul Sauce. This past March, Windy City was slated to play at Austin's South by Southwest festival and those shows never happened, so I was highly anticipating this new band from Korea, fronted by the former bass player for Windy City. These guys tore the the place down with their slower grooves-pure drum and bass and dub and the best horn section I've heard in a while. Some kind of eastern mystic mind trick came over me because every time I looked at the trumpet player, I kept thinking of Augustus Pablo.The Violin player kicked out some solos that had us shaking our heads. The little female lead singer that came out in a perfect tea cup dress was an added treat as her authentically Asian wailing vocal style kicked major ass. As I remember, Windy City had a more upbeat complexity that was their staple while NST grooved in their own down tempo style. If I could compare their groove to anyone, it would be Midnite.

Rumors swirled as to Matumbi being in Boonville or not and, sure enough, that band's former leader-and also the leader of Linton Kwesi Johnson's dub band, , Dennis Bovell, appeared as scheduled and belted out a bevy -baritone style - of roots and lovers rock.

Chris Ellis was an energetic performer who was obviously appreciative of the mid-day crowd and he sang song after song of Alton Ellis (his JA icon Father) 's stable of hits.The General Roots band from the UK who was supposed to back him was a no show so it was a treat to see Reggae vet gitzy Tuff Lion on stage doing what he does best. I liked Chris Elllis but, later, as one Reggae scribe and historian succinctly said , 'Well, that wasn't his Dad up there doing those songs" which had me wishing that he had perrformed more of his own songs like Marla Brown did during her set.

Proudly donning my 12 inch 'Cucumba' tee, we anticipated Macka B, who I had missed back in Angels Camp in '05. One other board poster here came away a little disappointed and , I gotta admit , that was my sentiment as well. A little too much rapping-and I know that's his style-but maybe I was expecting a Mad professor mix? He was good but a tad underwhelming soooo ....We walked over to the Village to catch Ozzie empress Saritah - she has a super sweet vocal style which was augmented nicely by super lefty guitarist Vince Black-who always is a pleasure to see-pure niceness.

We had to see Tarrus Riley and I continue to be amazed, even with Dean Frazer and Glen Browne, at how the 'Black Soil' band just cooks and simmers-total pros. Tarrus just keeps maturing as an artist and he was deserving of some of the same hype back in 08-09 that Chronixx is getting today. My friend from Texas kept saying 'Look at that Big, bad , sax player!' I said , yeah he IS big bad sax. Noticeably absent was the great trommy NAMBO-RIP.

Warren Smith had advised us to check Talking Dreads and I came away amazed at how polished these guys were musically. Believe me , you lose track that thay are playing Talking Heads songs...They were just grooving with originality and mystic Bowie has a mature voice that brings it all together.

What can I say about Keith and Tex?-old school rhythms played and delivered so majestically and on point that the Steady 45's from LA have become a rock steady orchestra. When the legendary duo launched into the original 'Back into Your World' I looked at my girlfriend ,with my eyes welling a little, and said " this is what this sh&t is all about, right here." The whole Village stage was rocking with writers , deej's , and heads from all over the US if not the world-greatness again from Keith and Tex......

Sunday was abbreviated by trips to Hendy Woods and Point Arena, but we did see NST and the Soul Sauce's encore presentation on the village before we jettisoned. Until next year..

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2017 02:19PM by papaken.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login