Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WAILING SOULS -AUSTIN TX -JULY 15th

Posted by papaken 
WAILING SOULS -AUSTIN TX -JULY 15th
July 17, 2017 04:48PM
What a blessing to see Winston Matthews and Lloyd MacDonald - the Wailing Souls, this past Saturday, July 15th, in Austin. Pipe and Bread were unbelievable ...I'll say they were noticably better than when I last saw them most recently- at Sierra Nevada back in 2008..

Opening with 'She Pleases Me'- then on to one of my all time faves - 'No Big Thing'- off of 'Lay it On the Line ', then into an absolutely killer, killer , extended rendition of 'If you Ain't Leaving' - my eyes were welling at this point....on and on they burned through 'Soul And Power, ''Act Of Affection', 'Picky Picky Head',' Old Broom', 'War Deh Roun' The John Shop', 'Things and Time', 'Ishen Tree',' Kingdom Rise and Kingdom Fall', 'Shark Attack', 'Firehouse Rock',' Back Out with It',' Oh What A Feeling', 'Feel The Spirit',' Jah Give Us Life To Live', and a new track -'Island Girl'-off of the new album. The longer than normal encore included another favorite of mine, 'Full Moon' -off of Kingston 14- that was particularly bad-ass. I may be missing a few songs here as the band played for 2 hours plus to a fairly packed Flamingo Cantina ...

The decision to include Prince Jubby on the tour was a good move. Jubby did a couple of tunes at the beginning of the evening-not sure if I'm getting his name right- he had a good presence and held many dj versions of the classics. Also, there was a pretty backup singer that augmented Pipe and Bread's vocals very nicely. After all, the Souls' sound wasn't meant to be a duo- a harmony trio or even quartet suits them better.....

Duly noted as well : the band of players who have obviously hit their stride after touring for a little bit..guitar, bass, percussion were all really good -.the keyboard player was so groovy and nifty with his fingers I thought I was seeing Jackie Mittoo up there...even the MC, Johnny Black, who brought on the Souls was excellent- he was a cross (looks wise) between I-Kong and Mikey Chung -I wish I'd gotten his name while he was hitting on my girlfriend while she took a break and I was break-dancing.

It was a pleasure to see one of my favorite all time Jamaican Groups sound so great and no cats are nicer or cooler than Pipe and Bread.

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2017 06:15PM by papaken.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login