Today is a sad day, Earl Wya Lindo passed away.Original Wailer's
Re: Wiya Lindo
September 04, 2017 11:28PM
September 05, 2017 01:10AM
September 05, 2017 01:30AM
M Peggy Quattro(Reggae Report Magazine) wrote:

Sadly I report that Wailers keyboardist Earl "Wya" Lindo passed on to Zion today in London. My thoughts, love & prayers go out to the family, friends, colleagues & fans of this immensely talented musician. Bob Marley saw his talent & potential at a very young age & brought him into the studio & then on the road. I met him in Kingston in the mid-80s...very quiet, soft spoken...as many geniuses are...This is from The Wailers band website:
Earl “Wire” Lindo (sometimes referred to as “Wya”) is a Jamaican reggae musician, born 7 January 1953. He is a member of The Wailers and has collaborated with numerous reggae artists including Burning Spear."
Wya was recently in the studio recording & Jah willing, we will hear his final music soon. Rest In Peace & Power brother Wya.
September 05, 2017 01:37AM
Dean Brown wrote:

R.I.P. Earl Wya Lindo, one of my favorite keyboardists who inspired me greatly in how I approach the keys. He recorded and toured with major Jamaican artists like Culture, Peter Tosh and Word Sound N Power, and The Wailers with Bob Marley from Catch a Fire to Uprising, and countless other recordings. He named Herbie Hancock as one of his inspirations. Earl was famously quiet in his persona but the intensity of his craft spoke volumes.... Much he has given to the universal music world and Jamaican music that will be indelible.
September 05, 2017 01:45AM
September 05, 2017 10:38AM
Mark Miller wrote:

Some mornings, it is just not worth getting up.
As usual, I made my coffee, turned on CNN, and then checked my mail. A very sad day today for me, as it appears Earl "Wya" Lindo, the absolutely amazing keyboardist for Bob Marley & the Wailers may have passed on. Wya was during my time with the Wailers, one of the most impressive musicians of them all. We got along like a house on fire and I really did like Wya a lot.
Wya was not only one of the best keyboard players I have ever seen, (and I've seen a lot), but he also was one of the most unique human beings anyone could ever meet.. And his hands? The BIGGEST I've ever seen and when he started slapping the B3 keys, it was nothing but a blur!!!
Good on ya Wya, hope to see you on the big stage in the sky..
Blessings always MM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2017 10:40AM by Ras_Adam.
September 05, 2017 10:49AM
Clive Hunt wrote:

"Wire" Lindo was the first one from the team to give me a nod of approval in the studio, after being invited by Master Geoffrey Chung......hence my introduction to Reggae Music creatively. Rest well my brother.

We knew him as "Wire", not "Wya".....
"Wya" is a young, most talented keyboard player, musician, engineer and a few other specialties in the creation of our music. He got that name, I was told from Ibo Cooper, because of certain similarities that Ibo saw in him while a student at Edna Manley. Wya is my friend, we work together and I love him as a great music person, but I still do not see the similarities.
PLEASE separate the spelling. Unnoh a mixup de ting.......de history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2017 11:04AM by Ras_Adam.
September 05, 2017 10:56AM
John Masouri wrote:

It was heartbreaking hearing the news this morning that Wire Lindo has passed on. Whilst he'd been relatively inactive during the past few years, this talented keyboardist played on so many classic recordings - not just by Bob Marley and the Wailers, but also Alton Ellis, U Roy, Tommy McCook, the The-Abyssinians 'Reggae'... the list goes on. Much love to his wife Marie and their daughters, his other family members and friends...
September 05, 2017 11:19AM
from dubwise garage [www.mixcloud.com]
September 05, 2017 11:21AM
Tony Chin wrote:

R. I .P. Wya the best bubbler and shuffler Pon de keyboard i have ever known , reggae music has lost another great, you will be sadly miss , my condolences goes out to his family and friends. Jah bless.
September 05, 2017 11:26AM
September 06, 2017 01:07AM
Pamela Hall wrote:
I saw Wia first in primary school. It was in high school that we made our musical connection. We used to link up in the music room. He would play and I would mess around picking out melodies for whatever song he was playing. I don't recall how he knew that I sang as I didn't do much solo stuff at the time but after leaving high school I would buck im up now and then and he would encourage me to record. I never did record until a few years later. He was an awesome musician. Blessup Earl Wia Lindo. You have inspired many. Condolences to his loved ones and to us, his musical family. It hurts but weh fi duh. Gwaan bubble yah mi bredrin.
September 06, 2017 11:13AM
Donald Kinsey wrote:
Sorry to hear about the passing of my friend & fellow Wailer...,Earl Wya Lindo, What a great person & musician ! It was a honor to have played with you, my prayers to your family...Peace
September 06, 2017 11:15AM
September 07, 2017 11:20AM
Selwyn Brown wrote:
Birmingham, United Kingdom ·

Nuff Love to all, just coming to terms with the loss of another of our Reggae Soldiers the legendary and one of a kind Keyboardists Mr Earl "Wya" Lindo. Anyone familiar with the iconic "Burnin" album from the Wailers just take another listen - this is the man who Blessed this album with the amazing keyboard colours that helped to define that album as one of the greatest to come out of Reggae Music. He is one of my biggest influences as far as the way I approach keyboard playing and I have to say an eternal thanks to you Earl for your inspiration. He was also a gentle soul who always gave his whole heart to anything he did. My sincere condolences go out to your family and may you rest in eternal peace and your spirit live on forever.
September 08, 2017 05:09PM
Bob Marley Keyboardist Wailer 'Wya' Lindo dies
Members of the reggae music community have been paying tribute to Wya Lindo on social media.
07/09/2017 01:01 PM

RIP: Wailer 'Wya' Lindo

BOB MARLEYS's former band member and keyboardist Earl “Wya” Lindo has died, age 64.

His death was conformed by The Wailers manager, Lennie Chen, stating that Lindo passed away in a London hospital on Monday.

Speaking to the Jamaica Observer yesterday, Chen said: “I got the call from his manager on Monday. He said Wya had stomach issues ... He's been sick, on and off. He had been complaining about stomach pains and went in hospital... I don't think he lasted a couple of hours in hospital. It's sad!” he said.

Chen added that he last saw Lindo in March when he was part of The Wailers' three-week tour of the United Kingdom.

“Wya was part of that 15-show tour. With no rehearsals, Wya came in and mash up the place. He was excited in coming on the road with us,” said Chen from his Florida base.

Members of the reggae music community including The Wailers, Maxi Priest, Clive Hunt, Mark Miller, and Clinton Fearon have all been paying tribute to Wya Lindo on social media.

“We lost another great one from the music fraternity,” Maxi Priest said. “My deepest, heartfelt condolences on the passing of the legendary keyboardist, Earl “Wya/Wire” Lindo, from the legendary, Bob Marley’s band, The Wailers. Give thanks to the Almighty for comforting everyone with the outpouring of love, that is surrounding his family, friends, fans, and colleagues. May you find strength in our prayers during this difficult time. Jah guide and protect you king, as you journey to Zion. Rastafari love and blessings.”
[www.voice-online.co.uk]
September 10, 2017 01:30PM
Culture Minister Pays Tribute to the Late Earl ‘Wya’ Lindo
By Garwin Davis September 8, 2017

+
Photo: Contributed The late Earl ‘Wya’ Lindo, who died on September 4.

Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, Hon. Olivia Grange, has joined the growing list of persons paying tribute to the late Earl ‘Wya’ Lindo.

Mr. Lindo, a keyboard player for Bob Marley and the Wailers, and who was considered one of the more versatile musicians of his generation, died in London on September 4.

According to Minister Grange, Lindo was “an exceptionally gifted musician who played a pivotal role alongside Bob Marley and the Wailers in the global success of Jamaica’s Reggae music”.

“Jamaica has lost another giant of the music business,” the Minister said in a statement. “Wya was one of the best keyboard players that the island has produced. I offer my condolences to his family and friends in this time of bereavement,” she added.

For his part, Lindo’s Manager, Paul Ching Hue, told JIS News that the world has lost one of the true musical greats.

“I was stunned when I heard the news. We had a lot of plans in the pipeline, including an upcoming album titled ‘Earl Lindo Presents Bob Marley in Classical’. This is truly a tremendous loss,” he said.

Born in 1953 in Kingston, Mr. Lindo spent his early days working at Coxsone Dodd’s Studio One, where he played on innumerable recordings with almost every upcoming and proven star on the reggae scene.

He joined the Wailers in 1972 and had been a permanent fixture, even after Marley’s death in 1981. He also played and collaborated with a number of reggae icons on the international scene, including Burning Spear.
September 11, 2017 12:27AM
Wailer 'Wya' Lindo is dead

BY BRIAN BONITTO
Associate Editor —
Auto & Entertainment
bonittob@jamaicaobserver.com

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11 Comments
Print this page Email A Friend!

Keyboard player Earl “Wya” Lindo in performance. (Photo: Warren Miller)

BOB Marley's keyboard player Earl “Wya” Lindo passed away in a London hospital on Monday. He was 64.

Lennie Chen, The Wailers' manager, confirmed his death to the Jamaica Observer yesterday.

“I got the call from his manager on Monday. He said Wya had stomach issues ... He's been sick, on and off. He had been complaining about stomach pains and went in hospital... I don't think he lasted a couple of hours in hospital. It's sad!” he said.

Chen added that he last saw Lindo in March when he was part of The Wailers' three-week tour of the United Kingdom.

“Wya was part of that 15-show tour. With no rehearsals, Wya came in and mash up the place. He was excited in coming on the road with us,” said Chen from his Florida base.

Marcia Griffiths, a member of Marley's harmony group, the I Three, remembers Lindo as a “great musician”.

“He had a signature sound. Just like how you hear Jackie Mittoo, Wya had a different and unique sound. He was the best musician, and mi nah just say that because him dead — every musician can tell you. Bob Marley did love him sound, that's why he had two keyboard players, Tyrone Downie and Wya,” she said.

“No keyboard man can shuffle like him. When you watch him, his hands look like it's not going to the beat, but the sound is perfect.”

Griffiths remembers an incident involving Lindo on Bob Marley and The Wailers' Uprising Tour at Madison Square Garden in New York, in September 1980.

“Wya was late for the Madison Square Garden concert. We had started without him. During the performance, Bob a look 'round for him; no Wya. Bob very uncomfortable. When we eventually saw him, he was trying to come on stage and the police beat him up. Bob was happy to see him when he got through to the stage but was very disappointed that the police punched him up. But when you talk about humility, that is Wya. I've never known a human being as humble as him,” said Griffiths.

Days after the gig, Marley collapsed in Central Park while jogging, and was told to immediately cancel the United States leg of the tour. He however, instead flew to Pittsburgh to perform what would be his final performance. Lindo was part of the band.

Marley died in May 1981 of cancer.

Earl “Wya” Lindo is survived by a wife and children.
September 13, 2017 02:31AM
Such a great thread. Thank You Ras A.
September 13, 2017 05:55AM
Yes, Great tribute collection of the man.

Name check on this Earl Sixteen roll call.

September 14, 2017 11:10AM
Remembering 'Wya'

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Earl 'Wya' Lindo (left) on organ and 'Sticky' Thompson on percussion

REGGAE singer Barry Biggs remembers Earl “Wya” Lindo as a talented keyboard player who cut his teeth in The Astronaunts band.

“He was in school, Excelsior (High), when he started with my band. I was the first one who took him to studio when I recorded Got To Be Mellow... This was about 1968 or '69. When Wya was playing, he injected lots of phrases in the music. I knew from day one he would reach far,” Biggs told the Jamaica Observer. “He had natural talent and feel like no-one else.”

In addition to Lindo on organ and Biggs on lead vocals, The Astronaunts comprised Trevor Brown (guitar), Mikey “Boo” Richards (drums), Richie Daley (guitar), Phillip Martin (bass) and Ernest Wilson (vocals).

Biggs said he began introducing Lindo to some of Jamaica music industry's who's who.

“After that I took him down to Duke Reid's Treasure Isle studio. Wya played on the flip side of John Holt's Wear You To The Ball with U-Roy. It was a wicked hit,” said Biggs.

The veteran singer said he eventually parted with the band he started, after being approached by bandmaster Byron Lee.

“Byron Lee made me an offer I couldn't refuse...this was around 1970. I discussed it with the guys and they said I should go... Byron Lee's band was a bigger band and, as they say, the rest is history... Wya went on to Now Generation and then part of Bob Marley's Wailers... Everybody started using him in sessions. He made a lot of difference to the music,” said Biggs.

Sponsored Links
15 Actors You Didn't Know Were Gay - No.…IFLMyLife
The Highest Paying Cash Back Card Has …Credit.com

Lindo died in a London hospital last Monday at 64. He had been complaining of stomach pains hours before.

Veteran keyboard player Robbie Lyn remembers meeting Lindo, who was then a member of the Now Generation band, back in the early 1970s.

Lyn was part of In Crowd band. However, both worked as session musicians at Federal Records in Kingston.

“We went to studio together. It was like a brotherhood. We did a number of sessions for Pluto (Shervington) and Ernie (Smith). We did Silouhette for Dennis Brown; Y Mas Gan for The Abyssinians; Lorna Bennett's Breakfast In Bed for Harry J. Pablo Moses had some nice production that Wya had a hand in,” said Lyn. “Wya also played guitar on Bob Marley's Redemption song. He's also in the official video. He carved out a niche for himself.”

He too saw something special in Lindo.

“Wya injected a new style of organ playing to reggae and I saw it first hand. He went on to do other things,” said Lyn.

Lyn said he last spoke to Lindo about four years ago while on a visit to England.

“I called him and was touching base. I said we should catch up ... His death came as a surprise to me as I never knew he was ailing,” Lyn added.

Lindo is survived by wife Marie, and two daughters.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login