Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

California Roots Festival Monterey 2018

Posted by Ras Matches 
California Roots Festival Monterey 2018
October 22, 2017 02:26AM
Alpha Blondy , and more? This will sell out for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2017 02:33AM by Ras Matches.
Re: California Roots Festival Monterey 2018
October 28, 2017 08:24PM
Tickets are going fast, their facebook says its almost sold out. Not sure if they are only talking about early bird tickets, but i dont think so because tickets are already $200.
October 28, 2017 11:56PM
Pretty sad to see Alpha Blondy so far down the list. Sign of the times...
October 29, 2017 12:53AM
Alpha Blondy’s gonna steal this show like Dezarie did at ROTR 2017-for me it is the most anticipated set that weekend. Steel Pulse is always nice to see, Chronixx,New Kingston a pleasure. This is only the first of three line up announcements.
October 29, 2017 09:08PM
No he isn't. Different audience they come to see a different show not the one you would come to see. That is why so may "older" festivals are struggling trying to get shows.
October 29, 2017 10:42PM
So, Alpha Blondy wont kill it because of the audience ? Nice.
October 30, 2017 02:34PM
Makes me wonder, "If a tree falls in the woods & nobody's around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

[www.RealitySounds.com]
[www.SantaCruzReggae.com]

rasta cruz reggae
October 30, 2017 04:33PM
if you say someone is going to steel the show it is sort of dependent on the crowd... IF the crowd doesn't appreciate what they are seeing and IF the crowd prefers other bands than.. no you can't "steal the show" no matter how good you are. That term is about the crowd reaction not how the people on stage perform.
October 30, 2017 04:34PM
PS and you didn't say he was going to Kill It.. you said he was going to steal the show.. very different things.
October 30, 2017 06:01PM
I agree with you Ras Matches. Given the typical crowd at Cali Roots is not as attuned to the elder roots artists as much as the SNWMF and ROTR fan bases, I think Alpha will be one of the big surprises for many at the show. Of all the artists in the first announcement, he's the only one that could sneak up on some people. Almost all the others have played there before. I think it's great to see the promoters mixing in roots reggae more now than a few years ago. There's something for everyone now. Last year I only went for Sunday basically and watched every act at the OG/Small Stage and Anthony B and Thievery at the Cali Roots/2nd Stage. I would have been fine staying just at the small stage. The lineup was great and all the artists gave great performances with great crowd participation.
October 30, 2017 08:57PM
Most people will be in their camps getting ready to go see 311 and Slightly Stoopid.. they will have heard this guy Chronixx is pretty good and they might check him out before seeing J Boog.. Not trying to be a hater.. Jerusalem is one of the single greatest songs I have ever heard... Peace in Liberia was one of the best records I ever listened to.. just think what fans of Roots call great this younger crowd (as a whole) will not be as impressed with.. JUST MY OPINION.
October 30, 2017 09:38PM
Imma go with Ninja on this one, only Alpha Blondy fans will think he stole the show. And if there were going to be a majority of them present, he would be higher on the line up.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2017 09:40PM by DJ Treez.
October 30, 2017 11:48PM
no thanks... another show youd have to pay me to attend for a number of reasons

Respect Same Way
October 31, 2017 01:22AM
Semantics. Ok, he’s not going to “steal” the show....in my opinion he will unexpectedly “surprise” the many people in attendance Because they have never heard of him.

I was young too, once..the first time i heard Alpha at ROTR , i was impressed. I am not a great fan of this festival, but I’m going this time for the Music-not the people

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2017 01:29AM by Ras Matches.
October 31, 2017 03:52AM
Ras Matches
Semantics. Ok, he’s not going to “steal” the show....in my opinion he will unexpectedly “surprise” the many people in attendance Because they have never heard of him.

I was young too, once..the first time i heard Alpha at ROTR , i was impressed. I am not a great fan of this festival, but I’m going this time for the Music-not the people

Yes, semantics. Some things on this board haven't changed.

Ras Matches I used to have a holier-than-thou roots police vibe towards Cali Roots, but have come around to it as it has evolved. Some people have a philosophical objection to the fest. They want to freeze time, but the torch has been passed. Granted it does not have the "more mature" age demographic of Sierra nor the ambiance of Boonville, but it does boast a lot of artists that Warren has brought to Sierra as well. The headliners make it distinctly different than Sierra the majority of the years thus the different fan base, but I've personally found a way past that and adjusted. There is a lot to like about this fest from a non-millenial's perspective. Last year they made some really great changes to the vendor layout moving all of the food vendors to the back and side of the main bowl. This cleared up all the foot traffic log jams that so many people complained about in years past. The lines for the food vendors would cross right over the main pathway between all the stages making it a pain in the ass to navigate. I found the traffic flow to be a complete 180. I really had absolutely nothing to complain about in that regard and that was my main gripe that kept me from going. It really made all the other potential issues fade away as now I had some noticeable breathing room even at the peak time. Without that some of the age difference issues I had before would infect my experience a bit. Granted I was only there for the last 3 hours on Saturday night and all of Sunday and never ventured into the main bowl. I didn't have a need or desire to. The small stage lineup on Sunday was Roots of Creation, Iya Terra, Humble Soul, Mellow Mood, and John Brown's Body and after that you can watch the rest of the main bowl performances on the screen they have set up. The vibe at that stage was irie the whole day and this is coming from a 46-year-old fart at this point, but 2 of those bands, ROC and Humble Soul, are friends of mine and the other 3 I wanted to see as well. The grass is on a slope so you can sit in the back the whole time and see the show for the most part. It got really crowded for Iya Terra. Was great to see for them as it was their first time at Cali Roots and they did not disappoint. They have a really nice roots sound. Hope to see them make it on to the Village Stage at Sierra. Maybe there are some other gripes with the fest, but as you said we were young once. Mellow Mood was great again after having seen them at Sierra. I was really curious to see John Brown's Body. I had not seen them in a long time. They did not disappoint either with a full horn section and great energy. At my age, I am running out of party gas and found Cali Roots to be easy to make work for what I wanted out of it. Not as easy for me at something like Reggae on the River as that fest is a physical endurance assault on your body and senses marathon. Since both Cali Roots and Sierra are on fairgrounds with some facilities, shade, and rest areas, they actually have a very similar feel in some ways.
October 31, 2017 03:15PM
not to be a "stickler"... but it isn't semantics... the two terms mean entirely different things... Stealing the show.. is when an act unexpectedly out performs everyone else on the line up and the crowd of spectators is in general agreement... it is why Sly and the Family Stone kicked Bob Marley and the Wailers off their tour as the opening act. Killing it is when you put on a really good performance. I fully expect Alpha to "kill it" so to speak, like he always does. If you think fans of the headliners (Slightly Stoopid and 311) are going to come away thinking man that 60 year old African guy was way better than Slightly Stoopid and 311... well that is your opinion and you are welcome to it..

HAVING said all of that.. I do have a question.... I have never been. I am not a holier than though reggae fan.. Like Stick Figure, SOJA and Rebelution as well as Shemaiah Max Romeo and the like... is this show, the event in general worth going to??
October 31, 2017 03:29PM
Ninjas right , I am wrong. Slayer!!
October 31, 2017 03:36PM
come on man.. not saying that... we can all just get along
October 31, 2017 08:16PM
What about Cali CONS 2018?
November 03, 2017 11:41PM
aaron_g
What about Cali CONS 2018?

I don't think another will be done under the Cali Con name, but we did do the follow up this year and brought back 3 artists from the previous year's intended lineup including Third World. Didn't see you there, but you have an open invitation.

Ninja - I completely get where you're coming from. I think the point is that Alpha Blondy could surprise a number of young fans and steal the show for them. Is he going to mow down everyone there and blow them away? If I had to bet on it I would not bet. But let's not forget that many fans coming to this fest are in their twenties and thus still flexible of mind maybe more than some of the stubborn traditionalists and elders. To not acknowledge that is to seal the fate of Sierra in a way. For that generation and those to follow need to embrace what Sierra is putting forth for it to survive. If anything I embrace what Cali Roots is doing. I know at least one of the owners of the fest loves roots reggae music. He did those shows for years. The business is an entirely different thing. If going this route brings roots reggae music back into the fold and balances the equation, I can definitely support it.

I like Stick Figure's sound a lot. I think Rebelution puts on the best show in their subgenre. Their sound man is best in the biz and Lighting Director is excellent as well. I have never been able to embrace SOJA. For this year's Cali Roots lineup so far I'm ok with Slightly Stoopid. I respect that they pay tribute to foundation by doing covers as well as working with one of the elders in Don Carlos. They have worked with Half Pint in the past as well. I was a fan of 311 when I was younger, but by the time I had a chance to see them live that time had passed. Besides those two bands, I sincerely want to see almost the rest of the lineup. There's only a couple of smaller bands I am not familiar with. I believe Warren has had 6 of the other 11 bands, from the rest of this year's first announcement, at Sierra in the past 3 or 4 years. Gimme anything from 1966-68 on repeat and I am a very happy man. Rock Steady is my happy place. Having music from 1964-1985 as one of the focal points of Sierra is where it differs from Cali Roots, but they have overlap on each other.

Regarding your question....like I indicated in my previous post there was a time when I would have said no. I had a different thought process to the whole genre and scene. I would now say yes it is worth it, depending of course on what you look for out of a festival experience. Feel free to PM me and we can continue the convo.
November 16, 2017 08:53PM

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
November 21, 2017 04:55AM
311 is the biggest joke of a band in reggae history. Last time they played at Cali Roots I wanted to leave the concert. Why do people listen to these guys?
November 21, 2017 06:11PM
Don't think anyone considers them reggae ^^
November 22, 2017 02:48AM
including 311..
December 01, 2017 12:58AM
they def dont, luckily this isnt a reggae show
December 01, 2017 08:07AM
True True
Rehashed 90's alternative music headlining, just waiting for Smashmouth to be added before I do just that.
December 06, 2017 07:06PM
tahoearmada
they def dont, luckily this isnt a reggae show

Steel Pulse, Alpha Blondy, Chronixx, Raging Fyah, J-Boog, The Green, & New Kingston isn't a reggae show? I get your point, but there are still many good acts on the bill. Sure the bro reggae may not be our cup of tea, but i like to think of them as gateway bands and hope that these bands plant the seed in new listeners and inspire them to explore the genre and discover the true roots music.
December 06, 2017 08:46PM
Gate Way Bands.. I like that... very true... it is just as much a reggae show as SNWMF. there are plenty of bands that come to Boonville every year that I wouldn't consider reggae. It is what it is. If the bands are good then support them. Even if they don't play the same style of reggae music you would hear out of JA. Quite honestly, if they did you would have to wonder about them, they wouldn't be "authentic" they would be biting someone else's style.
December 06, 2017 10:43PM

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2017 04:20AM by Ras Matches.
December 10, 2017 04:39AM
Atmosphere beat out Steel Pulse, Chronixx, and Alpha??? It’s a singer and a DJ, no band. So lame!!! This is getting worse.
December 10, 2017 03:34PM
be honest.. most of the people are going to see Alpha will be asleep by midnight. We tend to get up at 6am but Midnight is the cutoff. This is the way I choose to think about it... There is a music festival that has Alpha, Chronixx, Steve Marley, Ragin Fyah, The Wailers, J Boog, Steel Pulse, New Kingston... Headliners have nothing to do with how good a band is. They have to do with how many tickets the band is basically responsible for. Is there any doubt that Slightly Stoopid and Rebelution will sell a ton load of tickets to a California Music Festival? I think what happens is we think if WE were hosting a festival how we would set the line up. Of course we don't have 10's of thousands of dollars invested that could be lost by a turnout that is less than. If we did we would probably do it just like it is done above.. I would throw some Franti and some Jack Johnson in there as well.... ALSO.. Big Up The Movement.. glad to see SC is getting some love out west.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login