Wash House Ting — J Boog
Stony Hill — Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley
Avrakedabra — Morgan Heritage
Re: Grammy Nominations
November 28, 2017 06:31PM
This could be Chronixx's big moment...
November 28, 2017 07:08PM
Has Damian Marley ever been nominated and not won? Seems unlikely with the way it's set up. A Grammy nomination is still something you can ride on for a career.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
November 28, 2017 07:58PM
Chronixx should win. Damian will more than likely win it. No comment on the rest.
November 29, 2017 01:21AM
Isn't winning a Grammy in reggae kind of a double edge sword? Seems like whenever I hear grammy winning artist when talking about reggae the artists are pretty darn mainstream, making radio friendly music. Not that that is a bad thing, I just think of Ziggy Marley when I think of grammy winning artist and his music does nothing for me. Not a bad person by any means, I just find his music boring.
November 30, 2017 01:16AM
All of the records mentioned above are good. This isn't the year where half of the records would get no love by Jamaica. I think they all would. Common Kings would get the least but that record is dope. IMO not the best reggae record of the year but dope none the less.
November 30, 2017 07:58PM
Wait, there must be some mistake...

Chronology — Chronixx

How did that get in the Reggae category ?

Shouldn't it be in the R&B category ?

winking smileytongue sticking out smiley
December 01, 2017 02:44PM
something I have always been amazed at... people who don't make reggae trying to tell reggae artists what is reggae and what is not. I think back on songs like Don't Look Back (Peter Tosh) and I Know (Bob Marley) and never remember hearing people say how those aren't reggae songs... So many "reggae fans" are anti mainstream anything so they hate any main stream success... it is a shame.
December 01, 2017 08:58PM
Ninja
something I have always been amazed at... people who don't make reggae trying to tell reggae artists what is reggae and what is not. I think back on songs like Don't Look Back (Peter Tosh) and I Know (Bob Marley) and never remember hearing people say how those aren't reggae songs... So many "reggae fans" are anti mainstream anything so they hate any main stream success... it is a shame.

Reggae is only allowed to have one drop. Dancehall which as you know is not reggae is not allow to sound like hiphop at all. Hiphop only is allowed to have a 808 beat at 85 bpm and RnB has to be sappy and soft. None of them are allowed to mimic or influence each other because they are all completely different styles, clear because the academy who i dont believe in says so. I hope that clear it up for you.
December 02, 2017 03:14AM
clear a a cool winter day
December 02, 2017 12:41PM
Chronixx' album is weak
Marley's album sucks big time
I'd vote for J Boog because I don't know Common Kings and Morgan Heritage is mediocre at best and terrible most of the time

Beats me why they didnt include Black Gold by Samory I or Militant by Junior Natural. Both of these blow the nominees out of the water by a huge margin
December 02, 2017 01:43PM
hear a bit in npr yesterday about grammy and it said
awards are given by votes of a few thousand peers in the industry
engineers , musicians etc
and they are encouraged to only vote on genres they are
involved in/well versed in, but that doesn't always happen
so that last part is prob where people are just voting the marley name
since that the only thing they know about reggae.
a
December 02, 2017 01:50PM
Ras_Adam
hear a bit in npr yesterday about grammy and it said
awards are given by votes of a few thousand peers in the industry
engineers , musicians etc
and they are encouraged to only vote on genres they are
involved in/well versed in, but that doesn't always happen
so that last part is prob where people are just voting the marley name
since that the only thing they know about reggae.
a

Exactly... I find it hilarious how every year the same set of complaints come up among the reggae music industry, yet most of hte people who are qualified to become voting members don't care enough to do it. It's totally fine not to care - but you can't then whine that other people outside your industry don't care if you don't.
December 02, 2017 09:53PM
Marley's album sucks... gtfo... if you are willing to say something sucks then explain wtf you have done to contribute to the genre of stfu... excuse my language unless you are the one I am talking to.
December 02, 2017 10:03PM
ninja, i hear and feel you on the complainers and critics who never have a thing to offer or contribute, but trust me...gbougard has done more than you'd imagine for reggae. has released nuff nuff killer music for the masses and doesn't seem to suffer fools, which i appreciate as i get older.

doesn't mean you can't ask why he thinks "stony hill" sucks, but just wanted you to know he goes above and beyond as a "contributor" to the genre. you probably have purchased some of his stuff...who knows.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
December 03, 2017 12:25AM
indeed, to wit: Tabou 1
next question please...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 12:26AM by Ras Danny.
December 03, 2017 04:37PM
thank you for educating me. It is just the "that sucks" that I don't like. If you are educated and know what you are talking about saying "that sucks" and offering no reason for your claim you should assume people are going to question you. Also, if you are involved in the music business and you make that sort of claim it them sounds personal. I am well beyond just thinking everyone is going to like what I like or trying to convince other people to like what I like. I just don't like claims that are pure judgement with no basis attached.
December 03, 2017 04:54PM
Nailed it on Morgan fairy tales though.
December 03, 2017 07:05PM
yes, again i hear that.
was just addressing your "contributions" point to it.

will i see you at jesse royal/collie buddz?!

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
December 04, 2017 05:25PM
Didn’t Chronixx say he does “Black experimental” music? Maybe he will win in the black experimental category. Samory has a lovely albeit limited range voice. But, Rory’s productions are snooze town - high production value to the point of overproduction but simply boring. I think it’s cause he doesn’t actually like roots deep down and is doing it to try to get beyond his dead dancehall career but that’s neither here nor there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 05:31PM by Hailites.
December 04, 2017 10:52PM
Ninja

Ninja, while I agree with you that there are many 'reggae fans' that don't like the more 'mainstream' Reggae sounds - I'm happy to say I don't really mind some Reggae that fits into that category or if a songs propels someone more into the lime light like Chronnix did after the Jimmy Fallon appearance. I loved 'Dont Look Back', JC Lodge's 'Someone Loves You Honey', Third World's 'Now That Weve Found Love' and even something more recent like the well done 'Prime Time Girl' by Richie Spice. Those were fairly 'mainstream-ish' songs that I think were done well without compromising too much integrity or quality.

With that said, not only do I not rate Chronnix's 'Reggae' songs as highly as others do, I don't even care for the more 'mainstreamish' songs he's coming up with... To me, Chronnix is either stuck in the middle lane of traffic or he decided to put his music in that lane. I just think it's kind of ironic that the name mentioned in regards to the 'Reggae Revival' scene puts out a rather Reggae-Lite sounding LP.

And as much as I appreciate people that actually 'contribute' to the Reggae music scene [Artists, Producers, Promoters, DJs etc etc] I don't think you have to 'contribute' to the industry or be part of Reggae inner circle to say, with validity, what sounds good or what sounds bad in a Reggae release. Correct me if I'm wrong Ninja, so 'reggae fans' opinions of Reggae releases are not valid because they don't [literally] 'contribute' something to the music [scene] ???

Some of us are just plain 'Reggae Fans'...... We hope that Reggae artists come up with something interesting for us to buy. Other than that, what are some us fans that are NOT musicians supposed to do to 'contribute' to Reggae? I do my part as a 'Reggae Fan': if I hear something I like, I will buy it. I don't think you want to hear my 'contributions' Reggae if someone shoves a saxophone or a microphone in my hand [see Sugar Cane at the end of my post]

In a somewhat similar analogy - Movie-goers [the ones that buy the tickets] can't express their dislike with a film because they did not 'contribute' in any part to create the movie ? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I'm seeing what you're saying about 'reggae fans' not contributing to Reggae music.

I listened to all the Grammy nominated Reggae releases and I have very little interest in buying any of them. Should I be shamed for that decision ? I don't think so. I just don't like much music on any of them - although I LOVE the Morgan Heritage track 'Selah' !! I have bought more more more than my share of Reggae music over the last 20 years. Lately, not so much. Not because a lack of money, more like a lack of interest. Reggae just hasn't reinvented itself enough, like it often has, in the last 5 to 8 years to peak my interest.

Or maybe I just a bit turned off because more guys like 'Sugar Cane' are now 'contributing' their part to the Reggae music industry. Prove$ than anyone can enter the $tudio the$e day$... Well, I can say this, Sugar Cane makes me appreciate Chronnix that much more spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

If you dare to accept this challenge, go right to: 1:39 confused smileyangry smileyconfused smiley

*Daniel, I tried to make it so the youtube video started right at 1:39 but I couldn't figure out how to do that. Is it possible to start youtube videos at specific times on this forum ?
December 04, 2017 11:31PM
As someone who makes reggae music, distributes it for a living, and has done so for most of my life - I have to say the idea that only people who create music can make quality judgement is absolutely ridiculous. There would be no music made if the listenership was reliant on only other musicians.

And reggaefan, thanks for that. I think that song is officially the biggest load of crap I've heard this year. Is Sugar Cane the result of Ras Trent mellowing out?
December 05, 2017 12:47AM
reggaefan when i right click the youtube
one of my choices in the popup is save URL of the current time in the video
December 05, 2017 01:27AM
jeeze i thought the sugar cane productions were bad enough...
December 05, 2017 07:49PM
Doc Suess.. I am not saying the only people who can rate reggae music are people who produce it. I am saying if you just come in and say.. that sucks.. and that is all you should expect to be called out on it. I am almost certain about one thing. When the reggae Grammy Nominations come out.. people got nothing positive to say about the artist who are up for the award. Rarely does someone say hey that record may not be my cup a tea but I am glad for so and so and his people that he is nominated. It is always.. these record sucks there is so much better music than this. Comments about how many of the artist are either not from JA or that they don't play REAL reggae OR that it is just Ziggy Marley again. People bitch and moan in general. It is now the way of life. Complain about anything mainstream as if the most mainstream reggae artist isn't Bob Marley. It is just old and tired IMO.
December 05, 2017 10:31PM
yes MK.. you will see me at Collie and Jesse Royal.. I will find you smiling smiley

PS Doc... think of my complaint like this... if I was critical of the production of a particular record, one you thought was stellar, and all I said was.. the production sucks... you would wonder what I was unhappy with.... yes? You would wonder, well how the hell does this guy come up with this opinion. Is he "qualified" so to speak... apparently he is qualified so I just take my ball and go home.. but too many times people who lack knowledge have opinions. Music is like sports. You don't have to like Jordan, but arguing he sucks requires some explanation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login