Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kaya FEst LB April 28-29

Posted by Ras_Adam 
Kaya FEst LB April 28-29
December 05, 2017 12:39AM
Re: Kaya FEst LB April 28-29
December 05, 2017 01:26AM
unless they add a lot of artists or have people performing both days I dont see how this is a 2 day event...

Respect Same Way
December 05, 2017 04:07AM
Eight guys named Marley.

Love that reggae!
December 05, 2017 07:51PM
It is probably a two night event..
December 07, 2017 01:53AM
Oh yeah, Ghetto Youths Crew and their kids. I think Bob had 6 or 7 baby mamas and 11 kids?

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 01:56AM by Ras Matches.
December 07, 2017 05:16PM
That looks fun. Love the Marley's.
February 14, 2018 12:41PM
February 15, 2018 01:36AM
pass
February 17, 2018 06:21AM
Tickets just went up. The VIP was $200 now it’s $300. Dang!!! Missed the deal.

Tahoe...your the last person I thought would pass. For reals...you might be crazy to pass up that lineup.

Does anyone have a “passcode” for cheaper tix?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 06:21AM by westafari.
February 18, 2018 04:37AM
I'D need to be high up the payroll to travel to San Bernardino . That is a lot of Marley's. I'll have to YouTube how Tom Morello fits into all of this.
February 19, 2018 12:23AM
venue is my main reason to pass

Respect Same Way
February 19, 2018 07:34PM
tahoearmada
venue is my main reason to pass

Let me know what you mean about the venue... I'm thinking of flying down for this one.
February 19, 2018 11:46PM
So bummed they moved this event from the beautiful Queen Mary Park in LB to the ugly NOS Events Center in San Bernadino! The promoters must've thought Queen Mary couldn't handle the size they want this fest to be. Kaya Fest looked so cool on the Miami waterfront last year, was hoping for similar vibes in LB.
February 21, 2018 02:51AM
agreed spear... san bernadino is not the answer
February 21, 2018 03:48PM
Boo freaking hoo.... The lineup is better than any two day lineup since the Jamrock Cruise. Get over it. For reals.
February 21, 2018 09:47PM
There's a lot better 2 day lineups in Jamaica than the Sonoma cruise.
Comparing festival lineups from CA VS JA is unfair. Cure, Busy and who else can't play CA?
San Bernadino sucks, I doubt I would pay go see Bob Marley there.
I would be bummed if our beloved festival moved back to Marysville.
It's cool to see all those Marley youth on the same show. Like to see Peter and Bunny's kids on the bill as well , in a big United reggae dreamland .
March 01, 2018 02:51AM
March 05, 2018 03:17AM
NOS center is one of my favorite venues. This will be a good a show.
March 05, 2018 09:21PM
Daily line up posted and single day tickets now available. Don't think I can pass up Saturday...
April 27, 2018 10:27PM
Kaya Fest going down this weekend! Anybody going? See you there...
May 01, 2018 05:18PM
Any reports from this show???--- a lot of headliners there
May 01, 2018 05:42PM
Saturday was off the chain. All the bands were on time and the sound system was on point. Sunday was a $h1t show. All the bands were 1.5 hours later than posted. Kabaka, Chronixx, and De La Ghetto killed it though. I jetted for SOJA and Lame Lauryn Hill because I would rather sleep then see them live.

All in all, it was an amazing weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2018 04:23AM by westafari.
May 01, 2018 07:41PM
Thanks Westafari..glad to hear. Agree with you on SOJA and Lauryn Hill

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
May 02, 2018 04:27AM
Oh yah, VIP wasn’t worth the extra cost. Zero perks. One bathroom with 4 stalls and a few nice couches that were always full. Viewing area was nothing special....off and to stage left. I should have paid GA. Oh well.
May 02, 2018 04:38PM
I can only speak to Saturday as I didn't go both days but agree with Westafari, it was off the chain! I missed a lot of the openers but got there in time for Inner Circle who really surprised me. I hadn't seen them before and they had an amazing vibe. Band was very tight. I walked around and checked out the vendors for Action Bronson and most of Yandel's set. Never heard of Yandel before this show, he seemed to have a big reggaeton following to see him though. Toots was on point as usual, literally sounded like a CD recording with no hiccups at all. The Marleys were incredible. They let Skip and Jo Mersa open up with a few songs each. I really like these youth. Jo Mersa's style is very similar to Damian's and absolutely crushed his new track "Power Moves". The Marley brothers opened with Kaya and played for a good two hours. They played a mix of mostly bob songs and a few of their own solo tracks. Julian dropped Boom Draw which was really cool.

The venue wasn't the worst but definitely could've had some improvements. The porta potty situation was a literal @#$%& show, must've been only 30 or so portos for all attendees, and the actual bathrooms for the event were fenced off. They could've had more food vendors as well, very long lines. Had a friend miss all of Toots set waiting in line for food.

All in all, I was super stoked they had this event on the West Coast this year and was able to make it. Catching all the Marleys on one stage is an epic experience.
May 15, 2018 06:49PM
does Lauryn Hill not do well live? She put out one record to this day and it is one of the best.. now yes she stole the production credits but it was great.
May 15, 2018 07:54PM
Ninja
does Lauryn Hill not do well live? She put out one record to this day and it is one of the best.. now yes she stole the production credits but it was great.

I have caught her 3 times the first 2x she came out 90 mins after the band before her and didn't sound good vocally. The last time with Nas and Chronixx she was pretty much on time because her and Nas did a 30 min set thing each playing twice and then together at the end. She did sound much better this last time but appeared to be freaking out on the band the whole time even during her rapping/singing.....It was strange to say the least.
May 15, 2018 09:07PM
I always thought she might be kind of a "crazy" person. Big talent but a handful to deal with. I like her record but one record??? it has been like 18 years.. not to mention I am waiting for a reboot of Sister Act
May 15, 2018 10:22PM
Ninja, I thought I would share my 2006 phorum review of Lauryn Hill live here in Santa Cruz:

Wow, last night was a serious waste of time and money. I'm still searching for the proper adjective to describe the experience...something between "crappy" and "mediocre."

Lauryn Hill and her band gave a huge effort that fell flat. Her new 14 piece "big band" with acoustic bass, three guitars, two+ keys, trombone, tenor sax, and trumpet, & 3 backup singers never hit a groove that I would call hip-hop, reggae, or even dance music. Clearly influenced by Mile Davis Bitches Brew period fusion funk, the band overplayed every note while the drummer positively blasted double time through every break and funky stop. The tenor sax and trombone played so hard so much of the time that they effectively neutralized the vocals. The layers of guitar were painful to the ear. The musicianship of each player was virtually indiscernable in the the poor soundmix. They all may be great, I simply couldn't tell. And I should say that I've been a jazzer longer than a reggae fan, and have seen and truly appreciated the masters at this sort of thing, Miles Davis electric, Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Lester Bowie....

Always one to go with the flow, I felt like I was swimming across a river of mud.

The mood in the crowd was a mix of bewilderment and anticipation. Everybody was waiting for the funk. It never came. Like Miles often did, Ms. Hill reworked every original song to be essentially unrecognizable. The old soul chestnuts she pulled out and worked through with her three back up singers were forgettable. In fact, I already did. Quite a few people left early.

For me, it was the first "special appearance by a big name at the small venue" show at the Catalyst that really let me down in nearly twenty years.
May 17, 2018 12:33AM
shes been top notch the few times ive seen/heard her
none of the diva stuff Ive heard others say
May 17, 2018 04:20PM
I’ve seen her twice. Each time she’s pretty racist. When I saw her in Denver, she said quote “black liberation, white suppression” to about 10,000 mostly white people (remember...its Denver). I can’t make this stuff up. That was 15 years ago though.
May 17, 2018 07:19PM
“black liberation, white suppression” to about 10,000 mostly white people (remember...its Denver). I can’t make this stuff up. That was 15 years ago though.

That's funny

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login