Feb 17/18 Trib to Legends SD
December 09, 2017 07:09PM
Re: Feb 17/18 Trib to Legends SD
December 10, 2017 04:30AM
So incredibly stoked to see Junior Reid in Pacifica and Santa Cruz in Frbruary. He is amazing live!!!
December 19, 2017 04:34PM
Tribal Seeds along with Wailers playing the same weekend. Same venue where "tribute to the legends" once reigned as the best San Diego Reggae festival.

Love the World Beat Center...
But Bring Reggae Back to the Sports Arena!!
December 19, 2017 05:18PM
I second that motion, SKAndel. So many good memories at the Sports Arena - Gentleman, Jimmy Cliff, Izzy Vibes, Freddie McGregor. Yes along with Tribal Seeds playing the Sports Arena that President's Day, there's also an EDM rave the night before! Sad how real reggae music has been relegated back to the World Beat Center from the big stage. What ever happened to Raggamuffins in Long Beach and SF?
January 23, 2018 10:49PM
January 23, 2018 10:58PM
I wonder if they got permission to use the images of all those artists on the flyer...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2018 10:58PM by Dr Suess.
January 26, 2018 12:53AM
Spear Burning
What ever happened to Raggamuffins in Long Beach and SF?

Moss Jacobs stopped having the event. So he and Dan Sheehan (Good Vibes) started up a new festival for two years called Santa Cruz Dayz. Dan went on to start Cali Roots. I've seen some pretty amazing acts at the Raggamuffins in LB as well as SF. Dan had some great acts at the SC Dayz fest which was held at the civic center; bands like Gentleman and The Far East, The Gladiators, Steel Pulse, Twinkle Brothers, Midnite Bunny Wailer, Morgan Heritage and more. I got to perform that year in 2007 with Resination. I think that was the first year that Kenyatta Hill was lead for Culture. Good memories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2018 12:58AM by Mikey J..
January 26, 2018 02:22AM
LOL... James pretty sure we know that answer
February 19, 2018 10:28PM
I ended up taking my 1 yr old daughter with me on Saturday and had a great time. Here's a likkle review:

Showed up to the venue around 6pm or so, absolutely no entry line and security was only checking bags. First thing I noticed when entering was the new dub/dancehall beer garden tent outside surrounded by vendors on both sides. This was a nice addition to this year's fest!

Walked in to the World Beat Center to the vibes of L.A. based band Boomshaka. These guys had a lot of energy and got the crowd moving. The lead singer was very entertaining especially when he started wailing on the guitar like Jimi Hendrix. I recommend checking these guys out if you get a chance.

Next up was Kevin Isaacs. IMO he was the crowd favorite for the evening and would have made is dad very proud. If you closed your eyes it sounded like Gregory was in the room!

Michael Palmer was up after that and played a good set but the sound was terrible for some reason. I could barely hear his vocals and at one point he tried to grab the horn player's mic to get better sound. The crowd was pretty lackluster for his set, probably due to the poor sound.

Warrior King delivered an amazing high-energy set as expected, but the crowd was still surprisingly sluggish. Warrior did his best to lively up the crowd and brought out his wife and baby son for a nice rendition of "Another Love Song".

Finally after what felt like the longest set change ever, Junior Reid was set to come out and headline the 37th version of this fest. It was about 1 am and out comes Yung Jr, Jr. Reid's son. He was pretty good but my friends and I were like, ok where's jr reid after his 5th or 6th song. I look around the venue and see Junior Reid in the crowd recording his son on his cell phone just like a regular fan haha. It was a trip. They just let Yung Jr keep playing until my crew was so tired we dipped out and didn't even see Jr Reid perform.

Glad to see this fest still alive and hope it continues on. Even though its been diminished from the Sports Arena days, Thankful to have Makeda Dread bringing real Jamaican reggae music to San Diego for all these years and to be able to take my daughter!
February 19, 2018 11:54PM
Here's the full concert recordings - was finally able to watch Jr. Reid's set thankfully!

Day 1

Day 2

February 20, 2018 12:23PM
thnks for review & video links!
a
February 21, 2018 12:35AM
February 21, 2018 01:25AM
Saturday was a fun night, super chill venue very unique and interesting, not crowded in the least. Got there for Kevin Isaacs which was sweet, michael palmer was well talented and I left after warrior kings solid performance. I saw Jr reid hanging out after warrior kings set and I knew it would be a bit off a standoff and bounced.
February 22, 2018 12:44AM
strikkly
Saturday was a fun night, super chill venue very unique and interesting, not crowded in the least. Got there for Kevin Isaacs which was sweet, michael palmer was well talented and I left after warrior kings solid performance. I saw Jr reid hanging out after warrior kings set and I knew it would be a bit off a standoff and bounced.

Smart move Strikkly!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login