Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reggae in the River and Mateel Bankrupt

Posted by westafari 
Reggae in the River and Mateel Bankrupt
December 16, 2017 04:11AM
Sad news. No more Reggae on the River. They are out of money.

[www.redwoodtimes.com]

Sierra will be the reigning king now!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2017 05:05AM by westafari.
Re: Reggae in the River and Manteel Bankrupt
December 17, 2017 03:46AM
Teachers Teach and do the world good
King's just rule and most are never understood
if you were to rule of govern a certain industy
all inside this room right now would be in misery
no one would get along
nor sing a song
cause everyone be singing for the King
am I wrong?

Let's just say.. Sierra will still be here... I feel sorry for the Mateel and for ROTR... so many good times are now just memories.
Re: Reggae on the River and Mateel Bankrupt
December 17, 2017 05:19AM
Someone will pick up the festival, if not this year then next year and maybe under a different name. Remember Reggae Rising? They have all the infastrucutre to hold a show there, it just might not be called Reggae on the River. Promoters are drooling at the opportunity to take over this 33 year old festival. It’s too bad for the Mateel, the community benefits from their services and center-I really hope they can re-structure and survive.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
December 17, 2017 05:05PM
This is a ruff situation. And although I am personally aware of some of the shortcomings experienced, I think back at all the folks "boycotting" the festy last year because of the "terrible line up" and it makes me realize how spoiled we are with reggae music here in Northern Cali. Those folks are gonna love the line up brought in by a commercial event company that is strictly about profit. We have to support events for events sake and not demand the perfect event. I hope it's a lesson learned. This sh!t ain't easy and our community requires our support in order to carry on.

/endrant

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
December 17, 2017 11:08PM
I think there is some truth to that. I know at least I am spoiled. Personally, i did start out boycotting ROTR ,but ended up going to see Dezarie.
I have never been to a festival for festivals sake- i have only ever gone to a festival because the line up was appealing or had at least one band i was interested in.

But in this instance, as you may know it was Not the line-up that killed Mateel and ROTR. It was the past 3 years of financial mis-management by the “leaders” at Mateel.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
Re: Reggae in the River and Mateel Bankrupt
December 18, 2017 05:08AM
Don’t sell $150 four day tickets!!! That’s one way to go bankrupt.

Also, don’t pay $7,000 for late night dancehall tent. You literally just gave away a ton of profit to keep the Mateel up and running.

Who drained the coffers on this one???

Tom Dimmick and Reggae Rising went bankrupt as well. I doubt anyone will take this on this year. Maybe 2019!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2017 05:09AM by westafari.
December 19, 2017 01:24AM
My 20 yo daughter went to the Northern Nights Festival at the venue a couple of weeks before Reggae on the River. She had a great time. The scene was great.
People bought tix.

Nobody she knows likes reggae. And she grew up going to snwmf.
December 19, 2017 05:45PM
why go to ROTR when you can go to Cali Roots? I think this is what a lot of people from the Bay are thinking. Reggae snob not included but if you are going to go to a festival that size you might as well take a shorter trip. I am sure over extending is a lot of the reason for losing out but the rise of Cali Roots probably has something to do with it.
December 19, 2017 07:29PM
From what I understand, advance ticket sales were on track until a couple of days prior so the main shortcoming was last minute, at gate and single day which I'd assume is traditionally locals.

No local support = no local reggae festival.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
December 19, 2017 07:33PM
Jahsprey
My 20 yo daughter went to the Northern Nights Festival at the venue a couple of weeks before Reggae on the River. She had a great time. The scene was great.
People bought tix.

Nobody she knows likes reggae. And she grew up going to snwmf.

Yup. My kids don't dislike reggae but I can tell they have very little interest in it and are not going to probably get in to it. In Northern California its old people music. A serious saturation has occurred. Nothing ROR or even SNWMF is booking is really going to pull a strong you people crowd. Maybe the Dub/Roots/Steppers scene could rope in you people but it seems that music is an uphill battle also.
December 19, 2017 07:56PM
it is funny (like funny ironic) that it is the bands that so many people talk trash about that are the one's who are literally carrying reggae (on the Left Coast) to the next generation. Stick Figure, SOJA, Rebelution, Slightly Stoopid, Franti etc. These are the bands that the youth is paying to see. Without them it will become harder and harder to have a sustained reggae festival to count on. I am a man of cats like Max Romeo but we have to remember most people under the age of 30 have no interest in seeing "vintage acts" and dancehall is too "hard" for the the "festival class" out here.... it is a different vibe so to speak. Just my thoughts.
December 19, 2017 09:54PM
Ninja
it is funny (like funny ironic) that it is the bands that so many people talk trash about that are the one's who are literally carrying reggae (on the Left Coast) to the next generation. Stick Figure, SOJA, Rebelution, Slightly Stoopid, Franti etc. These are the bands that the youth is paying to see. Without them it will become harder and harder to have a sustained reggae festival to count on. I am a man of cats like Max Romeo but we have to remember most people under the age of 30 have no interest in seeing "vintage acts" and dancehall is too "hard" for the the "festival class" out here.... it is a different vibe so to speak. Just my thoughts.

This is a good point, but I think the target audience varies festival to festival. We saw first hand at ROTR this year that Slightly Stoopid and Stick Figure may have pushed away more die hard ROTR fans than the young people who replaced them. What works for Cali Roots Fest just night not work for Reggae on the River. Also, I do think there are a lot of youths under 30 who eat up that cali roots style sound, but there are equal if not more people of that same age group who would much rather see some Jamaican Roots Reggae, be it the older generation of performers or the younger generation. There doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap between the two interests. Most of the early 20's kids I've talked to who love Slightly Stoopid can't even palate protoje or chronixx let alone some old school roots... And likewise of the old school roots fans towards bands like slightly stoopid.

I've got faith that ROTR will continue on, though not in the way we've known it up until now. There's still time for this year's fest to come together... I don't know why people are saying it's not going to happen in some definitive way when they don't really know.
December 19, 2017 11:30PM
The financial pit that ROTR dug for themselves was not a one year phenomenon, but was the culmination of about 5 years of fiscal mismanagement, as detailed in one of the news articles from up north. Yes, this year late sales and the gate sales were horrible, but unless they had made a ton of bucks they were already in trouble. As soon as they needed 'bridge' loans in 2013, they were toast unless they changed their ways immediately. They passed it on year to year and did well enough to survive until 2017, but the failure of the fest to make money brought it all to the fore, as they didn't have the money to even pay their creditors from the festival. You need someone with an iron fist to force management not to overspend.

The reasoning that the marijuana business had changed and fewer folks had the money to spend doesn't really seem right to me. I always see plenty of farmers there. What i like about reggae on the river is spending four whole days doing nothing but camping, listening to and recording reggae, and hanging out in a place where there are an awful lot of folks like me. I meet several new people there every year. The quality of the music is important, but it's not the only thing. Seeing one prophetic act makes the weekend for me, Midnite, Emmanuel Jal, Dezarie. Sometimes it's an opportunity to reason with a musician, or someone in their crew. Problem is, it's not easy to get there. Camping, walking in, walking around, it's all tiring.

But for most people, they judge it by the lineup. Look at SNWMF. Warren and crew seem to find acts that are very unusual and classy, without spending a fortune on them. Quality over name for the most part, but there are big name acts too. One of the differences in the two festivals is that rotr has been run by a governing board and a full time manager. In this case that didn't lead to good financial management.

Love that reggae!
December 20, 2017 05:05PM
Just my 4th or 5th take... I don't think Slightly Stoopid an Stick figure pushed anyone away.... people complain but if you love reggae music there was plenty at that Festival to go see. I think there is so many more opportunities than there have been historically many of them come way before August. Whether in May or June there are BIG reggae Festivals to go to. Waiting until August, charging more and not being the best at what you do certainly caused may of their issues.
December 20, 2017 05:13PM
I've spoken with plenty of people personally who were pushed away by Slightly Stoopid, Stick Figure, and an over all anticlimactic Friday and Saturday night headlining spot. Nobody wants to travel 3-5 hoursand paying lots of money to go to a reggae festival where you're gonna be taking a nap during the headliners... let alone driving further or flying out. Bringing the Cali Roots vibe in to the headlining slots at ROTR DEFINITELY pushed people away. I agree with the rest of your premise, ninja, but you're wrong if you don't think anyone was pushed away by the line up.
December 20, 2017 08:14PM
yes... just my opinion. I would say though.. for every 1 person who decided not to go because they were headlining there was at least 1 who decided to go because they were headlining... and the other thing is... if you are reggae starved.. the way it used to be people would travel a lot longer than 3 to 5 hours to see a show. ROTR has always had random non reggae acts. Ben Harper played their years ago.. like I said.. Franti played there.. Ozomatli.. No one ever had an issue or at least it wasn't a reason to not go. I think people are spoiled now with so many opportunies to go to different festivals that they can pick and choose. Many kids would rather go to Paradisio up here because they play EDM. That never happened when ROTR was at it's peak... Just my opinion.. in the end the whole thing is sad though, cause it is the end of an era.. at least for now
December 21, 2017 04:35AM
Perception is everything... I could post reasons that all of you are wrong, but also that all of you are right

It is what it is

Respect Same Way
December 21, 2017 10:36PM
The inability to make it profitable is all on management, and yeah - some declining reggae fans in the area might be a factor, but then you adjust accordingly - like a 2 day festival! When they were regrouping they went back to 2 days, but when they got back to French's Camp they went 3 days with a 4th option? That's a hefty commitment for attendees who work for a living, especially if they (like many) have other festivals/activities to fit into their schedules. Even more so at a festival that is famous for the mad dash to get a decent spot to setup camp when the gates open.
December 21, 2017 11:31PM
Dubguy, the article i read said that the cops forced them to make it a four day event so folks wouldn't all be coming in at once. That was one of the things that doomed them. Personally, i liked the Benbow venue, not as private but easier to get in and out of. And it didn't seem to require the expenditure of funds that French's camp required. Wonder how much they spent on that catchment basin they built a couple years ago. How much were they paying the cops to run the temporary stoplight on the hiway?

When your audience gets smaller, you have to get smaller. If you are a year ahead on money you can adjust, if you aren't you go bankrupt.

Love that reggae!
December 22, 2017 05:36PM
People were already showing up on Thursday... lining up on the side of the road... We used to leave Portland on Wednesday.. drive down to Jedediah Smith and then hit up Benbow on Thursday.. get in that big ass line on early Friday AM and then roll in with the rest. It was the best kind of chaos.
December 22, 2017 06:19PM
I loved the 4 day thing.... Coming from Seattle it was so nice to relax the first day into the madness of the rest of the weekend. This thing isn't over at all. Just has to change a bit, probably for the better. On a positive note, a bunch of friends that have been having to choose between ROTR and Sierra have now bought tickets to Sierra for the first time in a few years!!
December 23, 2017 02:17AM
Here’s another article about the struggle. It was a culmination of things, but I will say, if Dezarie wasn’t there- I would not have gone. I always support reggae shows by purchasing tickets in advance, but if the line up is not happening, its not worth the travel and time off work for Me.

Redwood Blackbelt News

Recording of the Mateel meeting:

2 1/2 hour audio of the Mateel meeting

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 02:33AM by Ras Matches.
December 23, 2017 07:21AM
I am really gonna miss the 4 day thing. Thursday was a highlight for me this year and last year as well. I would reserve a room Wednesday night in Ukiah and hit that @#$%& up first thing Thursday morning. I really loved those intimate vibes in a larger than life setting. If you were there, you know what I mean. It may have been forced, but it felt natural to me. Guess I'll have to hit up SNWMF on Thursday next year as it seems there are informal tings agwan. Full submersion mi seh.

December 23, 2017 01:14PM
i liked the four day fest too. Thursday was a mellow beginning with not as many people there. I hope they maintain the vibe with the new partners.

Love that reggae!
December 28, 2017 12:37AM
Well some of us can remember when the entire event was an intimate experience. smiling smiley Overcrowding has definitely been a factor in my participation in recent years. Plus - they still have other events there, correct? Is the traffic/law enforcement things an issue with all events at French's? If the reggae scene is harder to handle than the Redwood Run (if it's still happening, not sure) - something's amiss! It's sad any way yo slice it...

I"ll have to check out some of those links when I get home, thanks for posting
December 30, 2017 02:46AM
Reggae on the River is on for 2018, August 2-5. Haven't heard an official announcement yet but they confirmed it on Instagram today, and the date is in their IG bio.

Blessed Love
January 05, 2018 03:15AM
Just my option and feelings:

Sorry to feel this way but I think the original reggae is over. I did my 10 years at the original, and skipped the 10 yrs at Benbow. Did the first year back at the original and it's just not the same. They have even moved us crunch time parking crew away from our long loved camp.

Perhaps they can bring back Reggae Rising again? The first few years of a new venue is nice and mellow. Reggae became SO huge which brings on so much more responibility. I will miss Reggae and have so many, many, many memories from it for it became my life every August.

The change in line up maybe to prevent so many folks from coming but it also has hindered the regular supporter goers as well.

I have fallen in love with SNWMF. The reason so is because Heidi has made it what it has become. Each year it got better and more organized. I don't want to see more tickets being sold for it would chage the vibe of SNWMF. It's good the way it is. I don't think they will change it just to suit the lost Reggae goers. Boonville can't handle more weekend traffic and etc...

I guess we all have to go to our other reggae fests and venues for now until Reggae figures out what they are going to do.

Love you and miss you Reggae. You have been gone for a long time now. The ship has sunk.

RiverCreek aka Robbinjaye

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2018 03:42AM by RobbinJaye.
January 05, 2018 03:22AM
Dubguy
If the reggae scene is harder to handle than the Redwood Run

If that is true... then that is saying something. Yes, The Redwood Run has it's share of issues but most of the ticket buyers are older folk. Reggae (over the years) has brought in a percentage of the younger generation which I feel may be part of a lot of the issues.

When a festival is controlled.... (not so large) it has a much better vibe and experience.

If the Reggae scene is harder to handle than the Redwood Run, then that says it all.

RiverCreek aka Robbinjaye

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2018 03:23AM by RobbinJaye.
January 07, 2018 01:52AM
Two of the articles linked above mention that Mateel has volunteered to be an emergency shelter during weather emergencies because *no local church* was willing to be one. The extent to which modern US religions blatantly ignore the most basic scriptural teachings never ceases to amaze me.
January 08, 2018 05:03AM
10 years in benbow?
heidi???
January 08, 2018 04:15PM
ROTR was at Benbow for 1 day in 2009. Then 2 days 2010, 2011, 2012.......
January 08, 2018 11:59PM
RR IPATH

For all you RR and IPATH sneaker heads. IMO the best thing to come out of RR but not really my style. Also taking very generous flower trades.

Don't DM.
papa.joshua@gmail.com
four one five - 747-2771

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 04:39AM by papajoshua.
January 10, 2018 12:02AM
It was only at Benbow three years.
January 10, 2018 12:18AM
As someone who was on the Board of Directors at the time and emceed the shows I'll say it again. ROTR was 1 day in 2009, 2 days for 2010, 2011, 2012. That comes to 4 times at Benbow.........
January 10, 2018 03:44AM
I checked my tapes. 2013 was for sure the first year back at French's. But there's nothing like a digital record to confirm things. I attended SNWMF for the first time in 2007, and went to Reggae on the River at Benbow the next year for the first time. I don't know about prior to 2008, but......

The Wailing Souls 'She Pleases Me' at Benbow 2008:

You can see the whole stage setup at the beginning of this one:

Love that reggae!
January 10, 2018 04:30AM
I think Katchafire and Stevie Culture played in 2008, Sister I Live also.

Love that reggae!
January 12, 2018 07:14AM
My bad. No one remembers the one day Festival...because Reggae Rising was three days that same year. To be honest, Benbow was the worst venue ever. I had to take a bus to my campground and had to wait over three hours. That was such a joke. I’m glad that venue was changed. What a nightmare.

The best part about Benbow was the after party at Cooks though. Sickest after party I have ever been to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 07:35AM by westafari.
January 13, 2018 03:57AM
For me Benbow was great. I could drive up and camp across the hiway, and at the end of the night drive the 1/2 hr to my campground. Didn't have to camp with ravers or loud drunks, it was small and easy. The venue at French's is great, but very difficult getting in and out of.

Love that reggae!
January 24, 2018 03:03AM
I attended ROTR 2017. ROTR has always been about roots reggae which is why i think people go (or used to go). My friend told me the Mateel planned the lineup specifically to entice the younger generation but i think it backfired...and the old diehard fans were turned off by this. Overall, it was one of the lowest attendances of any ROTR. However, I did noticed that i lot of people bought single day ticket for Saturday (Slightly Stoopid) and it was very crowded that night. But even the young people agreed that Slightly Stoopid was very lackluster that night.They played a mostly reggae set. I thought that Stick Figure was decent on Friday night. Not my cup of tea but they had a good vibe.
IMO the standout performances were Natalie Rize, Kabaka Pyramid, Dezarie, and Sly and Robbie with Cherine Anderson, Judy Mowatt, and Marcia Griffiths.

It's sad that this is the end of an era...my first Reggae was 1990, and since then i've prolly attended 10 shows over the years.

It may also be true that some of the money that funded the shows back in the day was collected thru black market cannabis sales...nowadays with the "green rush" of legalization the old growers are selling off their farms to big business, walking away from it all and taking their money with them.

Remember the good ol days and be happy! Hope to see you all at SNWMF this year!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2018 05:53AM by Asonnenshine.
January 30, 2018 02:18AM
Ok, They have 3 weeks to make it happen , or not.

North Coast Journal 1/25/18

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
February 13, 2018 10:07PM
Sure glad I went last year. It was the lowest attendance I have ever seen at French's Camp. The line up was lacking, but it was the best I have ever seen the river since I have been going, and I go back to the early 90's.

While I love SNWMF, and I am going again this year, it is something about lazing down the river with a beer in one hand and a joint in the other. Nothing like it. Such a shame this festival was mismanaged into this. I hope someone brings it back to life.
February 16, 2018 06:09PM
I am hoping I get to go back one more time... I have seen every side of this festival.. meaning.. first went when in the pre reggae rising days.. slept on the rocks without any knowledge of what to expect... went a couple years with more Planning... ran into YT, D Rock and the Small Axe Fam when we were waiting in "line" to get in... went the for the last time and was a volunteer.... seen lots of dope acts.. seen some that had no idea where they were. I would agree about the river part.. something nice about being in the Redwoods with a nice lazy river next to the camp. Great memories, I wish them well in the future.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login