Marley wins a grammy!

Posted by Ras_Adam 
Marley wins a grammy!
January 29, 2018 12:05AM
and now for something completely different
[www.jamaicaobserver.com]
Re: Marley wins a grammy!
January 29, 2018 05:01AM
Dang, I was hoping/thinking Chronixx would take it...
just do away with reggae grammy
January 29, 2018 05:29PM
In light of a Marley always winning (or winning on year's when they are nominated) - wouldn't it be better to just do away with the Reggae category??? Either that or just bar any Marley from being nominated. It is totally unfair to any other artist that has to go against a Marley for a grammy. I feel horrible for Chronixx and Morgan Heritage who both deserved the grammy nod over a Marley!!! It seems like the grammy voters always go with the name recognition ; usually a Marley name is the only one that they even know!!!! Very unfair!!!! PURE BULLSHIT!!!!!!
January 30, 2018 04:25AM
2002- Damien Marley
2006- Damien Marley
2007- Ziggy Marley
2008- Stephen Marley
2010- Stephen Marley
2012- Stephen Marley
2014- Ziggy Marley
2015- Ziggy Marley
2017- Ziggy Marley
2018- Damien Marley
AJ
January 30, 2018 04:31PM
J_72
2002- Damien Marley
2006- Damien Marley
2007- Ziggy Marley
2008- Stephen Marley
2010- Stephen Marley
2012- Stephen Marley
2014- Ziggy Marley
2015- Ziggy Marley
2017- Ziggy Marley
2018- Damien Marley

Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers............

Cheers
January 31, 2018 01:51AM
Congrats DM........... Great album overall.
January 31, 2018 06:39PM
stop complaining. Grammy voters are not some elitist and there is no agenda. Sales have a lot to do with it and his record sold a lot more than Chronixx did. As to it being fair.. uh it has never been fair. An artist like Nas never won a Grammy and he is one of the best Emcee's to ever do it. There are countless people who "deserve" recognition but never get it for their contribution to music. Damian is dope, his record was dope and he won. Chronixx is dope too. His record was "ground breaking" IMO. However he didn't win.. don't be Kanye about it. Reggae is a family and ANY attempt to split the family should be rejected whole heartedly.
January 31, 2018 07:53PM
ninja i have to ask, what did you find "ground breaking" about chronixx's release? ground breaking is sure an interesting choice of words. it implies some real innovation or new path carved out...

not being snarky; i really am curious.
for all the hype and anticipation, i found it to be extremely lackluster--really falling short of my hopes and expectations.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
January 31, 2018 08:08PM
The Marley name has dominated Reggae for over 4 decades. That's just the way it is.
January 31, 2018 09:03PM
Why should Chronixx get a reggae grammy when according to him he doesn't do reggae music, he does "black experimental music."
February 01, 2018 04:30PM
Fair question. What I found Ground Breaking was that it was the first time (my first times only go back until like 94) I have heard someone who is considered to be a major player in reggae music make a record that seemed to only have like 4 songs I would consider reggae. As Suess has said above it was like most of the record was aimed to expanding what people consider reggae music. To me it was him taking a massive chance knowing it would be received well by some and probably rejected by others. I don't remember hearing another "reggae record" or record from a reggae singer that pushed the bounds of what is considered reggae. I think it is why a lot of people on this board were not as happy as they thought they would be when it came out. Just my 2 cents
February 08, 2018 10:51PM
Dear Hearts, why expect an outcome regarding the Grammy Awards that would pick an artist still 'relatively' unknown by that majority of listeners who somewhat 'like' Jamaican music (AND BY GRAMMY ACADEMY MEMBERS NOT EXACTLY ON THE INSIDE) as far as this music???

A number of years ago I was fortunate enough to have a backstage clearance at the North Coast show where the Marley Brothers performed together for the first time. Hanging with some musicians & singers playing that evening, I dead-panned, Hey---wanna know how to win the Grammy?? as the gents nodded yes, I grinned and said CHANGE YOUR NAME TO MARLEY.

So it 'ah go, y'know.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login