Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maritime Hall San Francisco

Posted by Mikey J. 
Maritime Hall San Francisco
March 14, 2018 05:26AM
In my early 20's I attended some amazing shows at the Maritime Hall in SF, mostly produced by 2B1 Productions (also down in SC at Palookavile). I saw countless roots legends from JA and the UK there, Israel Vibration, Gregory Issacs, Black Uhuru, Steel Pulse, to name a few. Anyone know of any video footage from that venue?
Re: Maritime Hall San Francisco
March 14, 2018 06:32AM
I saw many many many shows there as well, from my teens into twenties. I know 2B1 did put out some dvds, and there is footage n youtube too
March 14, 2018 03:36PM
I went to every reggae show there from 1999-2001..........Shaped my love for live music and reggae in general. Loved that place.
March 14, 2018 04:59PM
Those Maritime years were indeed some good times! Saw epic shows there from Buju Banton, Capleton, Sizzla, Toots & Maytals, LSP, and Sugar Minott, to name just a few...
March 14, 2018 05:26PM
Maritime Hall was my entry into live music. I still have a ton of posters that I ripped down from the walls.

Bunny Wailer
Wailing Souls
Anthony B
Junior Kelly
Luciano
Norris Man
Mikey General
Buju Banton
Wayne Wonder
Andrew Tosh
Capleton
Half Pint
Barrington Levy

Probably forgetting a ton. And not to mention I saw a lot of hip hop (Wu Tang, The Roots, Common, Goodie Mob, etc)
March 14, 2018 06:16PM
March 14, 2018 09:33PM
Good to know because I remember numerous artists sued 2b1 because they never gave permission or received royalities for the CD's and DVD's.
March 14, 2018 11:11PM
I used to rent these 2B1 DVDs from Netflix way back in 2005 when they only offered the DVD-by-mail service haha
March 15, 2018 10:25PM
I still get real DVD's from Netflix confused smiley - loved Maritime - KRS One and the Roots (before anyone really knew who they were) still stands out as an epic show....among others in the mid-late 90's.....good times
March 16, 2018 04:04PM
There is a bootleg video of one of the Burning Spear shows floating around out there...
Many great memories from the good ol' days at the Merrytime Hall smiling smiley
March 16, 2018 05:14PM
I have so many good memories from Maritime Hall shows from 99-01. Two standout shows for me that weren't mentioned above were The Gladiators with The Twinkle Brothers opening and King Sunny Ade with Pato Banton and Ali Khan Band opening.

It was a great time for reggae in the Bay Area. It is sad that pretty much every artist that I saw pack Maritime Hall back then would not be able to fill a venue 1/3 that size today.
March 16, 2018 07:07PM
Niceup - that is so sadly true....I caught the Abyssinians show here in Sacramento a while back and hardly anyone was there....disappointed in the crowd turnout to say the least.....thankful I came of age in the Bay Area when real roots reggae was supported on a higher level...AND without cellphones gettin in the way.....
March 16, 2018 09:07PM
I too saw so many show at the Maritime. One of my favorite was Jorge Ben from Brazil. Every Brazilian from a 100 mile radius was there. Everyone was dancing so hard I literally saw the floor move up and down!!
March 16, 2018 10:37PM
Bobby ran Maritime and he is the man, I saw him last year, he is part of the extended SNWMF family.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
March 18, 2018 06:06AM
The Don Carlos show with Tony Moses as emcee, the Freedom Fighter Band with Wadi on drums, Amlak on bass, and Fazal on guitar is one of my all-time favorite shows

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2018 06:10AM by fourtwentyplenty.
March 18, 2018 08:21PM
same as you guys, saw a lot of good shows there.

definitely one of the best was junior reid before bunny wailer. i think bunny finally came out on stage around 3:00AM.

still have a lot of clear memories of moments, like when jah love universal played glen washington "jah glory" when it was brand new, when a young ras shiloh had the place going mad and about 100 rasta flags waving in the audience, watching gregory play a nice set on cruise control after making the entire building wait while he'd run over to oakland for a minute...

even though there were all those high points that place always had a sketchy feeling to me too, like there was some kind of strage or wrong undercurrent. i don't know why, and like i said there were a ton of shows to love (still have a bunch of posters and ticket stubs), but for some reason i wasn't surprised when it was closed down.
March 19, 2018 09:32PM
That is the number one most missed venue for me in the bay by far When that place closed it was the end of live music in the bay, Innoway. There was no replacement venue for shows that size. Really miss that place.
March 20, 2018 09:04PM
so nice
watching gregory play a nice set on cruise control after making the entire building wait while he'd run over to oakland for a minute...

even though there were all those high points that place always had a sketchy feeling to me too, like there was some kind of strage or wrong undercurrent. i don't know why, and like i said there were a ton of shows to love (still have a bunch of posters and ticket stubs), but for some reason i wasn't surprised when it was closed down.

I totally forgot about that!!!
March 21, 2018 01:13AM
Outkast at Maritime Hall back then was an awesome show also. Lee scratch before he got really crazy was a good one.
March 21, 2018 05:51PM
I agree with niceup the King Sunny show was amazing and such a surprise for us. I really loved the 99 Bunny performance at what I think was the Petter Tosh b-day celebration with the massive screen playing old Peter footage. Vibz for days at that place.
March 29, 2018 01:15AM
I went to lots of shows at maritime from 97-01. Mostly grateful dead style jam bands but saw some reggae shows too. Bunny, Toots, Scratch, Wailing souls are justa few I can remember. Nice place, easy bridge access, parking not too bad if you got there early. I miss it.
March 29, 2018 02:19AM
Loved the energy at the Sizzla and Capleton shows. Michael Rose tore it up opening for Gladiators first US show in 20 years, nice double bill.
Still nothing like it has come to replace it in almost 20 years .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login