Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reggae on the River 2018

Posted by wildone 
Reggae on the River 2018
March 21, 2018 05:11AM
Bless up! Just read about Mateel making an apparent deal with High Times (insert joke here smoking smileycool smiley to produce ROTR this year.

One Love and Higher Heights as we Rise and make it right

I copied and pasted just fyHIGH:

MATEEL ANNOUNCED DEAL WITH HIGH TIMES FOR REGGAE ON THE RIVER
March 20, 2018 Kelley Lincoln 4 comments
Reggae on the River 2016 image
Reggae on the River 2016 image

The Board of the Mateel held a three hour meeting this evening in which a new fundraising effort was proposed and the Board announced a contract with High Times Magazine to produce Reggae on the River.

At the Mateel Board of Directors meeting, Darryl Cherney engaged the room with his fundraising proposal that was well received. He explained to them that he doesn’t need a title, but he needs authorization to act on behalf of the Mateel. And he said he needs staff or board to work with to help him direct his efforts in compliance with the Mateel’s existing bylaws and other rules the organization runs under. He was granted his needs and will begin the adopt a debt campaign forthwith.

The Board was already moving into ’truth and reconciliation’ mode which Cherney had said should be part of the fundraising campaign before he spoke. There was a palpable difference in tone.

Before Cherney spoke during the public comment period, the board heard more from the community of volunteers about their reluctance to talk to people.

During public comment, the crew who create the Kidlandia area of Summer Arts gave feedback about getting a “Dear Coordinator letter’ which was perceived by many in the community as summarily dispensing with the services of longtime workers. Board Secretary Anna Rogers read a letter from longtime Mateel member, and former board member Andrew Burnette, aka Burner. Burner’s letter also expressed frustration that he received one of the letters and asked how the Board can move forward if they don’t work with the community.

And then finally under new business, the Mateel Board of Directors decided it is going to enter a contract with High Times Magazine to produce Reggae on the River for 2018 at French’s Camp. The Board heartily thanked the Arthur Family for concessions made by them in the negotiation process. As yet, there aren’t many details available (See the press release from the Board below).

The news was disclosed in a manner that really highlighted the complexity of a public non profit raising funds by working in a business world as complex and contract driven as the music industry has become.

The Board was going to vote without a word of discussion because they have been meeting and negotiating the deal for 6 months…out of public earshot because of non-disclosure agreements. But the Board wasn’t allowed to vote until it gave a lot of explanation about why.

All the Board revealed is the deal isn’t forever…so they aren’t selling Reggae on the River.

The Board also said the Mateel does not have to spend a cent to make Reggae happen this year. The new producer will take on all the fiscal responsibility.

Board Member Eryn Snodgrass seems truly pleased. Snodgrass feels it will be a well-needed infusion into the local economy that keeps Reggae “in its spiritual home at French’s Camp.”

Press release from the Mateel Community Center:

Reggae on the River Festival Announces New Strategic Partnership with High Times

High Times Productions, Mateel Community Center Pair to Grow Iconic Music and Culture Celebration

REDWAY, CALIF. – March 21, 2018 – High Times Productions, the event-management team for High Times Media, today announced an exclusive partnership with the Mateel Community Center to breathe new life into the iconic Reggae on the River festival.

High Times will assume all responsibility for the upcoming festival’s talent lineup, marketing, and monetization efforts. The brand will also provide the Mateel Community Center with best practices learned from it’s long and successful production history in an effort to ensure the experience is on par with what the industry has come to expect from it’s premiere brand.

“Reggae on the River is a beloved institution in the Northern California music and countercultural scene, and a natural fit for High Times,” said Adam Levin, CEO of High Times Media. “We already operate numerous music and lifestyle events across three continents and see Reggae on the River as an extraordinary addition to the amazing experiences we curate annually for tens of thousands of fans.”

The festival has been connected since 1984 to the Mateel Community Center in Redway, and held on land controlled by the Arthur family. Originally, it was a one-day musical event to raise money to replace Mateel’s hall, which had been destroyed in a fire.

Under the new partnership with High Times, the center will have the resources to continue growing and developing the festival, said Garth Epling, the MCC Board President.

“Reggae on the River has been a treasured part of Northern California’s cultural scene for decades, and Mateel’s board has been committed to finding a long-term, sustainable partnership to ensure the festival thrives for years to come,” Epling said. “This High Times partnership ensures that Reggae on the River will remain a cornerstone of life in Humboldt county.”

High Times Productions produces a series of Cannabis Cup events annually as well as several other lifestyle and music events tied to High Times magazine, the oldest and best-known brand in the business of legalized marijuana. Given their production chops, knowledge of the landscape, and successful history in both events and media, High Times was the perfect partner for the Mateel Community Center. Reggae on the River marks an important step for High Times Production to manage a broader music event not explicitly tied to the legal cannabis industry, Levin said.

About Reggae on the River:

Reggae on the River is an annual music festival in Northern California, nestled along the south fork of the Eel river amongst the redwood trees. 34 years running, this cultural gathering has grown into North America’s premier live-reggae concert destination. Originally conceived as a fundraiser for the Mateel Community Center, the event has become known from Jamaica to Humboldt as the place to be on the first weekend in August. Visit us on the web at [www.reggaeontheriver.com]

About Mateel Community Center:

The Mateel Community Center has fostered the arts in rural Northern California for approximately forty years. Serving as the cultural hub of the Southern Humboldt community, we provide arts, educational, and social service programs, and present a myriad of multicultural musical, theatrical, dance, comedy, film, craft, and rental events- earning our non-profit organization international acclaim.

Located in the town of Redway, CA, the Mateel Community Center hall is a showcase of fine woodworking, craftsmanship, and solar design that first opened in 1988. Owned and operated by the MCC, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, the Center is well utilized by the entire community and serves as a venue for both commercial and non-profit rentals, as well as in-house Mateel productions.

About High Times:

For more than 40 years, High Times has been the authoritative voice of authentic cannabis culture, leading the fight for legalization and empowering the burgeoning industry’s legal entrepreneurs. High Times content spans digital, social, video and print platforms as well as location-based events highlighted by the Cannabis Cup global franchise and the High Times Business Summit conference series. Visit us at HighTimes.com, and follow @HIGH_TIMES_Mag on Twitter, @hightimesmagazine on Instagram or like us on Facebook at: [www.facebook.com]
Re: Reggae on the River 2018
March 21, 2018 10:53AM
March 21, 2018 03:18PM
Let’s stay positive! Ahhhhh, what a relief..

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
March 21, 2018 03:47PM
I can see it now. High Times presents the High Times Reggae on the River festival. Headlined by Rebelution!

Wow, I hope that isn't the case and they get some good acts this year.
March 21, 2018 08:23PM
chronicom420
I can see it now. High Times presents the High Times Reggae on the River festival. Headlined by Rebelution!

Wow, I hope that isn't the case and they get some good acts this year.

I'd reserve judgement until we see a lineup. This is not really fair considering Rebelution recently headlined SNWMF and similar bands have headlined ROTR under previous management. I believe that some of the top brass at High Times are involved in the Reggae industry and there is def hope that this will be a win/win.

In the meantime, I am pretty stoked that it won't be completely cancelled. It's a bit of an institution.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
March 21, 2018 08:38PM
Anybody heard or can speculate on the dates for 2018?
March 21, 2018 10:53PM
Hoping it's that first week in august, cause i reserved a campsite anyway. How ya doing Rhythmwize, came upon one of your cd's the other day!

Love that reggae!
March 21, 2018 11:39PM
Yeah, I too reserved site # 163 for the first weekend in Aug. A while back, I actually had thought a Cannabis type festival would be a good idea at French’s Camp, couple that with a wide variety of craft beers, excellent food vendors and a diversity of Afro-Centric music (reggae, salsa, afrobeats, soca, ska, blues, etc.) and you got a winner in my opinion.
March 21, 2018 11:40PM
Yeah, I too reserved site # 163 for the first weekend in Aug. A while back, I actually had thought a Cannabis type festival would be a good idea at French’s Camp, couple that with a wide variety of craft beers, excellent food vendors and a diversity of Afro-Centric music (reggae, salsa, afrobeats, soca, ska, blues, etc.) and you got a winner in my opinion.
March 22, 2018 01:20AM
I like your thinking Rythmwize...
March 22, 2018 03:22AM
i got site 138 this time.

Love that reggae!
March 22, 2018 07:00PM
Whats wrong with Rebellion healing the event? I think it would be dope to have a local that has gone to the festival for over 20 years come back and headline Saturday Night.
March 23, 2018 05:31PM
Diesel
Whats wrong with Rebellion healing the event? I think it would be dope to have a local that has gone to the festival for over 20 years come back and headline Saturday Night.

Im not their biggest fan but their most recent music has grown on me and lets be real. Who can sell more tickets for a single event in the world of reggae who is actually touring and not named a marley. They are def in that top 10 if not on top of the pack. Kids love um, youngsters buy tickets. I have never gone to festivals expecting the headliner to be my motivation. The headliners sell tickets to pay the fee for the more obscure, antique and new artists that I want to see on side stages. Those people are not really selling tickets.
March 26, 2018 05:20PM
It was more of a joke. But personally I don't really want to see rebelution headlining just because they don't do it for me but I have seen way worse headliners.

Either way I am very very happy to see that the show will go on, would be a shame to see it end.
March 29, 2018 12:57AM
I think the lineup will be fine

Respect Same Way
March 29, 2018 12:29PM
thanks
March 29, 2018 09:41PM
too bad they don't have a forum over there...

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
March 29, 2018 10:25PM
HiGrade1
too bad they don't have a forum over there...

This guy is pretty relieved there's not a forum there anymore....
March 29, 2018 10:34PM
The main reason I came to this Phorum was the ROTR forum and ride share board went away years ago.This was the place I looked to for ROTR information.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
March 30, 2018 01:42AM
so did higrade1
March 30, 2018 09:04PM
Gary?!

March 30, 2018 11:11PM
havent seen that lil dude or thizz holiness inna minute!

Respect Same Way
March 31, 2018 12:21AM
(t)hizz holiness has been enjoying his retirement for some time but rumor has it he's been spotted at some uptown roots parties with Steamaz in hand
March 31, 2018 03:32AM
steamaz affi bubble... fyah from rome
April 04, 2018 03:07AM
Hahahah-yes I am laughing at you suess, Tahoe, higrade.

Date will be same as always: first weekend in aug.

Tell me all you line up critics: what would you like to see at ROTR 18?
April 04, 2018 04:01AM
BUSY!

April 04, 2018 04:09AM
Agreed! Top of my list for sure
April 04, 2018 03:02PM
I-d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d....

[www.RealitySounds.com]
[www.SantaCruzReggae.com]

rasta cruz reggae
April 05, 2018 06:55PM
Signal would be massive.. I have given up hope of actually seeing him live out West.
April 05, 2018 10:58PM
yoooooow...
April 06, 2018 02:28AM
Busy Signal, Mavado, Bugle, I-octane, Kelissa, Dre Island, I-Vibes, I-Wayne
April 06, 2018 04:40PM
that would indeed be a WILD ONE.... Mavado... I can't imagine what that would be like.
April 06, 2018 07:36PM
+ Konshens.

April 06, 2018 09:57PM
movado is really hit or miss
ive seen him a few times and once was fire start to finish, once he was singing over his own lyrics like some weak ass modern rapper, and the third time was just so so
KONSHENS PLEASE

Respect Same Way
April 06, 2018 10:05PM
Yes to Konshens!!! Saw Mavado on the cruz a couple years ago and it was't good on my ears.....But I would give him a SHOT again.
April 06, 2018 11:49PM
Twinkle Brothers (Sunday evening smoking smiley), Iba Mahr from afar, Bounty Killer, Micah Shemiah, Jahmiel, Queen Ifrica, Tony Rebel, Wailing Souls, Capleton, Chezidek
April 07, 2018 03:29AM
spliffp
Saw Mavado on the cruz a couple years ago and it was't good on my ears.

That set was a disappointment to say the least.

Busy
Beenie
Bounty
Konshens
Bugle
Runkus
Bunji Garlin
Chronixx
Zaga
Delly Ranx
Masicka

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
April 10, 2018 02:04AM
Anyone know when we are going to get updates, lineup, dates, ticket prices??? Anything?

The silence is killing me.
April 10, 2018 03:42AM
April 10, 2018 07:07AM
May be a bust. Awful hard to get major artists this late in the yearwhen you have to compete with the major European summer festivals that pay top dollar.
April 10, 2018 10:43PM
dates are same as always, that was already announced

Respect Same Way
April 11, 2018 03:13AM
Let’s all keep it positive, without negative vibes. It’s only been a month since the announcement. Like tahoe says, they already said its the same date as always. The website says check back for more info about vending, volunteering and tickets. High Times got this, for sure its not their first rodeo.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
April 11, 2018 10:52PM
lineup will be huge, im confident
April 18, 2018 02:55PM
I am beyond excited right now. I love SNWMF, specially the line ups, but the river holds a special place in my heart. I could be content with just wading in the river all weekend drinking beer smoking ganj and listening to reggae with like minded people. Put in for vacation as we speak.
April 20, 2018 06:31PM
Looks like they announce in a week!
Kymkemp.com

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login