--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2018 10:06PM by Ras Danny.
thumbs down
May 04, 2018 05:24PM
thumbs down

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2018 10:07PM by Ras Danny.
Re: this is a dead place... kinda like trumpland.
May 04, 2018 05:58PM
I gotta agree with you Danny, this forum has went extremely downhill in recent years. This used to be a great forum full of music and show updates, and some greatly spirited discussions and seasonings. Like you I have noticed the censorship of posts and threads that dont fit the admins views or narrative. It has long been my observation on here that if you go against the grain on here, you are sure to be censored and chastised. It seems greatly hypocritical to me that a group of so called "progressive freethinkers" would take a facist approach in moderating the chats with censorship. It would be cool to see this forum return to life and be what it once was rather than the cemetery it's become these days....
thumbs down
May 04, 2018 06:30PM
thumbs down

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2018 10:07PM by Ras Danny.
May 04, 2018 07:18PM
Ras Danny:

Check your PM/VM.....
May 04, 2018 09:51PM
Not sure about the censorship issue. I think a lot of it has to do with the rise of other social media. SO you can say what you think on any given subject and still get a reaction/response from others who are generally interested in the same subjects. Just my two cents.
May 04, 2018 10:48PM
I think there's a few factors:

A lot of longtime boardies have slowed down on posting.

People are often more active on social media and less on forms in general. Hopefully as time gets closer to the fesitval there will be more activity on the board.
May 05, 2018 11:47AM
Ive been outta touch for a couple/few reasons:

1) school has been super busy this year since I have three classes of seniors in our Highest Level Math classes and all are preparing for external exams in AP and IB.

2) my home computer crashed about a month ago and I've been slowly rebuilding various things

3) had eye surgery in early April and still dont have 100% vision

4) one of my favorite former students committed suicide a month ago and it's been difficult to deal with

But I read the Phorum daily and have noticed the lack of posts lately. Was hoping Ras Danny's post would lead to a much needed discussion about homophobic lyrics in my favorite music.

Should have five souljahs in the Guam Massive this year, and the ever-wannabe Aaron from HI. Looking forward to the annual reunion.

Ever forward

JahSon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2018 11:48AM by jahson.
May 06, 2018 05:31AM
JahSon,

So sorry to here you have had such a rough time. Eye surgery? Ugh! I can feel your pain. literally, having had to deal with that twice in my life. The first time, they had to freeze the eyeball. Imagine waking up with an ice cube in your head.

Can also really sympathize as far as having to put your computer system back together. I'm a software engineer by trade and have to do that periodically fro both my job work station and my home system.

I almost died by my own hand when I was much younger. Life is challenging and sometimes it can be too much for certain sensitive folk. I remember when a professor in my undergrad studies who told the class one day that if you make it to 70 and you are not insane or in prison you can consider your life a success, because life is just that tough.

Stay strong, my friend, stay strong.

Jah Mike.
May 06, 2018 06:40AM
Thanks brudda.
I try to stay positive

Eyesight slowly returning....day by day it gets a bit better.

Same with the computer rebuilding. I managed to recover a lot of data from my old computer. It's just very unorganized and it's slow going retrieving files a little bit at a time.

I'm still pretty shaken up by my former student's departure. She was one of the most positive people I've ever known, and no one can understand her reasons. That's the hardest part...not knowing why.

Ever forward
JahSon
May 06, 2018 07:55AM
On recovering data: let me give you two words: back up/
May 06, 2018 03:43PM
I used to check on this board several times a day to see what was happening in the reggae world, but I know come on 1-2 times a week and usually don't make a post due to not much new content to read. There needs to be someone leading this message board, some starting conversations, posts that will bring conversations to the table. It seem now most things are local shows listings more like an advertising board.
Personally Id love to see this board come back to what it was.
May 06, 2018 04:26PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2018 06:00PM by IYah_Trod.
May 06, 2018 09:47PM
the festival is gonna be dope again this year
really looking forward to being back in Boomville for solstice weekend!

Respect Same Way
May 07, 2018 08:01PM
I too used to visit the phorum everyday, multiple times a day. But for a while now I just check 1-2 times a week. The reasoning has reached a standstill. I've been coming to this board for at least 10 years now, and had no idea there was any type of censorship going on. That's unfortunate.
May 07, 2018 08:13PM
All I can say is some advice I was given once, "just because you're right doesn't mean its the right thing to do"...
May 08, 2018 12:35AM
jahson
Ive been outta touch for a couple/few reasons:

1) school has been super busy this year since I have three classes of seniors in our Highest Level Math classes and all are preparing for external exams in AP and IB.

2) my home computer crashed about a month ago and I've been slowly rebuilding various things

3) had eye surgery in early April and still dont have 100% vision

4) one of my favorite former students committed suicide a month ago and it's been difficult to deal with

But I read the Phorum daily and have noticed the lack of posts lately. Was hoping Ras Danny's post would lead to a much needed discussion about homophobic lyrics in my favorite music.

Should have five six souljahs in the Guam Pacific Island Massive this year, and the ever-wannabe which includes the ever-irie Aaron from HI. Looking forward to the annual reunion.

Ever forward

JahSon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2018 12:55AM by aaron_g.
May 08, 2018 04:39AM
Ras Danny
message from Warren Smith ...Hey Danny, I agree with your current posting
on the forum and I was disappointed when your
articulate criticism came down...this is what the
forum should be about...

WHY WERE MY MOST RECENT POSTS TAKEN DOWN? WHAT IS THE REAL STRATEGY BEHIND THIS BS?

May i ask what you mean in the title regarding the "kinda like trumpland" comment please Ras Danny?
May 08, 2018 05:42PM
where exactly is trumpland?
May 08, 2018 05:44PM
I think it’s in Florida, they got everything!

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 08, 2018 06:38PM
Don’t be too course on this phorum’s moderator ‘cat herder’ … who’s prefect? is not easy herding cats when the Lion Pride slip sidewords in to too much mangy mutant felines … when sweet dancehall turn danceHELL with bellygrowl haters pretend posing as reggae inheritors … B.S. dat ! & please: them that got ears to hear - get that damnblasted autotune robot sound out of the mix too.

we either is or we ain’t

May 08, 2018 06:51PM
Don’t be too course on this phorum’s moderator ‘cat herder’ … who’s prefect? is not easy herding cats when the Lion Pride slip sidewords in to too much mangy mutant felines … when sweet dancehall turn danceHELL with bellygrowl haters pretend posing as reggae inheritors … B.S. dat ! & please: them that got ears to hear - get that damnblasted autotune robot sound out of the mix too. we either is or we ain’t

The greatness of Peacemakeya-might be my all time fave post here

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
May 08, 2018 11:13PM
Ya that's a goodie Peacemakeya.

Love that reggae!
May 08, 2018 11:53PM

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
May 10, 2018 01:51AM
Where's Jah Bill when you need him? Better yet zoki!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2018 01:52AM by fourtwentyplenty.
May 10, 2018 03:34AM
One day zoki was just gone?

Love that reggae!
May 10, 2018 06:23AM
I bet it was the cat.

May 10, 2018 12:23PM
May 10, 2018 02:46PM
classic
May 10, 2018 04:17PM
zoki

#winner
smiling bouncing smiley
May 11, 2018 05:51PM
thumbs down

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2018 10:08PM by Ras Danny.
May 11, 2018 08:28PM
As stated earlier, I look forward to the much needed reasoning on Ras Danny's comments.
May 12, 2018 01:31AM
Ok, my 2 cents

I am sorry you feel that you have been censored. We should be free to express opinions and personal truths here without judgment. Judgement is for God. I was really trying to stay out of this conversation because I know some of you may not like what I have to say. It’s seems like people want to have a conversation.

I think the questions is... would you still listen to Bob Marley if you knew that he might have raped Rita Marley?

Do we still watch Fat Albert and Cosby show reruns? Probably not ever, but you know what i mean.

I withhold judgment- its not my place. I love all people gay, straight, doesn’t matter to me. I do not approve of violence or rage against anyone. Reggae music is very much centered on religion and most of the world believes in a higher power. Faith is a powerful thing , a thing that make some follow the their Bible with vigilance and sometime to the extreme. I think its to each their own and a personal decision weather you want to interact with artists who may have different opinions and lifestyles than your own.

As far as the radio play, producers and DJs. I think if you are going to represent, produce or play an artists material- you should vet your talent to make sure that they align with your own personal beliefs and representations. Unless your all about the money.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 12, 2018 05:40AM
Ras Matches
As far as the radio play, producers and DJs. I think if you are going to represent, produce or play an artists material- you should vet your talent to make sure that they align with your own personal beliefs and representations.

Bingo.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
May 12, 2018 05:18PM
This thread has stirred many emotions in me, and left me with a feeling of loss from what the phorum once was. There used to be discussion of details, even lyrics in the music we listen to. Joke threads, Zoki, Jah Bill, Ites, Green and Gold (for some reason i really miss that one), the crazies we had. How many songs in reggae long for the freeing of the Ganja, and now that it's here, no one wants to talk about it?

Ras Danny, Ras Adam, still great contributors to the phorum. I crave reading the writings of many here, Peacemakeya, Haile Bless, Westafari, full of energy.

Perhaps it's suffering the fate of reggae in general, where 50k in sales is what the Grammy winner gets. Perhaps it's because we are all older, and the younger generation is not embracing roots music.

But here's what we can all do about it. Start a thread. Whatever you want, even if someone just tells you that it's innapropriate, it starts a conversation, which is part of the richness of life. Reggae, not reggae, who cares? The music is not dying, there are plenty of incredible musicians out there carrying on. Saw Don Carlos at the Reel Fish Shop out in Sonoma a couple weeks ago. I've seen him plenty of times, but he's incredibly talented, old school, great songs, and loves to perform, and loves his audience. I enjoyed that show, standing in front of him videotaping, immensely, and went home energized. He sang a verse of 'Midnight Hour', and then did request after request.

Who cares how many units the grammy winner sells? It's an experience like that, or talking to Lee Tafari before the Prezident Brown show and hearing him describe how valuable his minutes on stage are to him, and then watching him sing a song with the Prez, and make the most of it. Fantastic.

Probably the most significant change for reggae in Northern California came this year, when guitarist extraordinaire Tuff Lion transplanted himself to the West Coast. He and the multi talented musician Walker P are working together and i am super excited to hear what comes out of it.

So maybe we all just need to get a little more involved. Start a new thread every week. I'm gonna take my advice and start one about a subject that is very near and dear to me.

Love that reggae!
May 12, 2018 05:27PM
I almost forgot. The reason i posted in the first place was the title of this thread. The phorum has been a dead place, but its nothing like trumpland. Trumpland is a place of lies and more lies, racism and lies, richness and lies, cheap gold paint and lies. There is no love in trumpland, just empty sex. Everything in trumpland is said to be 'the greatest', but in reality there is no greatness, just failure and lies.

But thank you Ras Danny, you got me to post.

Love that reggae!
May 12, 2018 07:43PM
the real "meat" and intent of the initial post wasn't about the number of posts and general activity on this phorum.
but nobody likes to discuss hate lyrics in reggae...

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
May 12, 2018 09:05PM
Mosquito.-killer wrote"..but nobody likes to discuss hate lyrics in reggae."

we have discussed it here many times over the years
and my pat post is that there's a disconnect between
a generally left political audience and a conservative
right political christian /rasta caribbean music folks.

it's not the small handful that have kill gay people lyrics
it's the majority who are anti abortion/any gay etc etc
again we are not talking 100% of anything
but in jamaica it is a bible majority place and those
teaching run deep and for life.

so if you as a consumer/fan can't jive with folks coming from that
space to avoid any hypocrisy you might need a new genre.

not to mention in the #metoo moment do you want to
talk womanizing bad behavior among reggae artists? how long would that list read?

people who hare rita as a yoko dismissed her rape story about Bob
but should we be playing bob songs if he was a rapist? or watching woodsy allen/polanski movies
etc etc..

again we have discussed these things here in the past and can continue today perhaps in a new thread?
a
May 12, 2018 09:28PM
ras adam

wow.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
May 12, 2018 10:00PM
ras adam

wow.

not sure that was so wow
if your line in the sand measure of what you will listen to or play doesn't include anti gay people performers
it's more than boom bye bye buju who feels that way.
May 12, 2018 10:18PM
it's comparable to being a gospel fan and saying you dont want to hear anything anti abortion out of your singers
if you pick a genre with a strong religious foundation you're going to constantly buck up on things that may be the polar opposite of your beliefs. people don't believe me when i tell them that people are stoned with rocks, chopped with machetes acid thrown in their face burning tires around their necks etc in 2018, but it happens.
a
May 14, 2018 01:55AM
Yeah adam speaking truth, sorry to those who thought this @#$%& was nice, its anti-colonialism, mean and calculating in every way to find relief for a besieged people.
May 14, 2018 04:46PM
I have not posted in a long time but I do still check the page every few days to see what's going on. I guess I got a little bummed by seeing people disagree and "highlight" every comment and want to quibble over just about anything.

I love this festival and I love this phorum, but I'm not gonna argue with people why I love Reggae or this festival.

DJ Big Jim

Riparian Roots Weds 8-11pm KLLG 97.9 Willits, CA (2016-)
Ridgetop Ranking Reggae Radio show (2011-2016)
KMEC 105.1fm Ukiah, CA
Uptown Top Ranking DJ/HOST (1997-2010)
KUCI 88.9FM Irvine, CA
May 14, 2018 05:02PM
Ras Adam.. I respectfully disagree. The hypocrisy begins and ends with someone telling you that your life is dutty because you like people of the same sex and their life is clean even though they got 3 baby momma's and a rape charge. I am not challenging whether or not you are right to say that people who have a strong religious conviction may in fact have beliefs that do not jibe with mine per say. What I am challenging is whether or not a "strong religious conviction" is the motivation behind these beliefs. You (not you) say burn out the dutty livity and how the
"gay agenda" is trying to take over but you got 3 baby mama's and have sex with all kinds of women. This tells me is bigotry and not religious belief. IF you have these sorts of views and you are consistent in your beliefs then so be it. I can deal with that. So long as you are respectful of others and their right to self determination then hey this is part of being tolerant. If you are talking yang out of the left side of your mouth and yin out of the right side then don't tell me your beliefs come from a solid foundation. They don't. If you say who is to judge? Apparently I am. I come from the Black community which is rooted in the church, I have seen this since my first days. People talking about this and that and ain't sayin nothing.. it is a plague.
May 14, 2018 06:28PM
Ninja please don't think i'm implying the caribbean is a holy stainless free from sin place
it's the home of the dutty wine etc..
nor am i saying the singers and djs who are conservative on things like gay people and abortion are saintly
in their behavior outside of those ideals.
all i am saying is, is that in caribbean music those values are held by many
not just the few with lyrics explicitly about killing people. so there's going to be a clash
if the fan bases ideals are o the left and the performers are on the right. that's all.

i was listening to james brown at work the other day. that guy was apparently a real tyrant to his band
drugged up and abusive. i was thinking if i locked out the music of everyone behaving badly in life out of my listening life
my playlist that was left would be pretty jim neighbors in the end.. gooool-lee.
May 14, 2018 07:16PM
I hear what you are saying and I do not think that is what you are doing. I am pointing out to fans more than to musicians that if you hear someone talk about someone else in a negative light because of their actions and you see that the same individual doing that chatting about others is mixed up in all kinds of fockery.. call a spade a spade. I also don't consider behaving badly a non starter on who I listen to and who I don't. I stole my name from a man currently locked in prison for murder. One of my favorite all time musicians to this date. He sang all kinds of songs about killing people.. usually sound boys though. It wasn't meant to be taken literally. He was an equal opportunity bad man so to speak. I think it is different when you live some place that is actually handing out beatings and killings to people (in real life) for who they are. I just think the world has become small enough, and these musicians have traveled enough to know the impact of their words. If Ninja says it is time for a sound boy to die, no one in the crowd is going to get a gun and shoot the guy. If someone says "hang all battyman up to die" I think it is taken differently and is far more dangerous. IF that isn't enough, it is just plain bad for business.
drinking smiley
May 17, 2018 07:35PM
thumbs down

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2018 10:08PM by Ras Danny.
May 18, 2018 04:44PM
the whole system of beliefs centers around the concept of free choice in all actions. You are free to choose to do the "right thing" or you can choose to do the "wrong thing". Without it judgment isn't a thing. Being black isn't a choice. You are born that way. The idea you would call being black a sin is silly. It doesn't even make sense. So long as you have people that still believe being gay is a choice they can get away with calling it a sin. IF not then would it make any more sense to say being gay is a sin than being black is? People used to say that being black was dirty but we burned out that concept over time.. well we are still burning it out but it is well on it's way out. One day I imagine the idea that being gay is somehow dirty will be burned out as well. I know there are still some people (on this very board) who feel that way but to me it is just an immature way of reasoning. It lacks the maturation necessary to have beliefs you once held firm fall to the wayside as falsehoods. I used to think a lot of crazy ass thoughts when I was a kid, I was wrong. You live and grow, there is no shame in that. The shame is when you dig in on an idea that is bankrupt and try to convince others it is a boat without holes and they should go for a ride with you.
May 19, 2018 01:35AM
this thread sucks
id delete the whole thing if it were up to me
Isnt this a place to reason about the sierra nevada world music festival?
May 19, 2018 02:02PM
there are a lot of threads that suck. I don't read them.. I certainly don't open them, read them and then take the time to comment on how they suck. Last time I checked there were a few threads on here about the music festival. I would recommend opening one of them and being on your way. Seems like it would be easy enough
May 20, 2018 01:58AM
well i guess we can't all be perfect like you ninja.

May 20, 2018 02:29AM
me myself & i

i used to be egotistic but now i'm perfet

how does Stevie's 'Master Blaster' relate to this very profound topic... beats mi, but it's spinning as i compose this crucial message, so why not.

Stevie's tribute to Bob
May 20, 2018 02:42AM
this is a live place ... kinda like

SNWMF has an awesome lineup this year

Can i get an Amen
May 20, 2018 11:20AM
Amen!
May 20, 2018 02:12PM
Amen Brother Peacemakeya!

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
May 20, 2018 06:04PM
"Peacemakeya" the name checks out, true to his name, making peace!

Is hendy woods booked up during SNWMF? I can't open the CA camping website on Safari

Any word on the ROTR line up?

I gotta be there!

Giving thanks!
May 20, 2018 08:14PM
Yeah I am perfect.. that is what I meant.
May 21, 2018 01:15AM
Why is this board dead? Lol

This thread is a great example. Wassup!!! Love you guys! See you all in June!
May 21, 2018 02:47AM

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
AJ
May 21, 2018 01:10PM
AztecRasta

Is hendy woods booked up during SNWMF? I can't open the CA camping website on Safari

AztecRasta.......
I was just in the Hendy campground site.
As of a few minutes ago there is one site open for Saturday only.......campsite #1 Azalea campground loop.
Plenty of sites open for Sunday night in both loops.
That's it.........all other sites booked for the festival weekend.
I guess there could be cancellations, but you would have to keep checking.

Good reviews from members of this board for Anderson Valley Brewery camping during SNWMF.

Good luck.

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2018 08:34PM by AJ.
May 22, 2018 04:18AM
Thanks AJ, I camped at Anderson Valley last year, no complaints so I will try that again.

Do folks camp at the Philo Hall parking lot? seems reggae friendly smiling smiley

Giving thanks!
May 26, 2018 04:46PM
Whats Good Guys, long time I havent posted. Glad to see much of the same old gang on here, Been a few years, I missed 2 years as I opted for 2 trips to Thailand instead. Good to be back, and looking forward to a sick festi
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login