Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

And...Sizzla cancelled at the Matteel

Posted by SommerKind 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
And...Sizzla cancelled at the Matteel
May 31, 2018 03:19PM
Re: And...Sizzla cancelled at the Matteel
May 31, 2018 06:21PM
Weak, but no surprise.
May 31, 2018 06:25PM
lame. remember back when there was freedom of speech and expression.....?!

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
May 31, 2018 06:51PM
Who's brilliant idea was it to book Sizzla if his message is not "consistent with the community's values"? He's playing Oakland in July...I hope the show will still go on.
May 31, 2018 07:40PM
just my two cents.. same thing.. if you say you hate black people in Canada and then come to Portland and say you won't say you hate black people.. then go back to Canada and say you hate black people... I mean really??? It would probably be different if he said "all of that is behind me" and it actually was but it just isn't. BTW.. this has nothing to do with Freedom of Speech or Expression.. he is free to say whatever he likes. I dig most of his music for sure. The thing is this is a Capitalist country.. the moment is it going to cause more grief than it will make you money it is over... in every case.. every time.
May 31, 2018 09:07PM
here is what I find kind of odd. If you google "sizzla cancelled" you can find a couple local papers with comment sections, and basically overwhelming support from people in that section for the cancellation. They love the term "murder music", and I am also going to take a leap and guess that the majority of the LGBTQ people who push for the cancellation are white.

So, where are all of these concerned white people when it comes to a very large proportion of Rap that glorifies black men killing black men? Plus it is in clear english with very little metaphor. I know it is straight black men rapping about shooting and killing other mostly straight black men, but does that mean it is less alarming to all of these good concerned liberal activists who cannot get over what a Jamaican dancehall artist said on a few tracks? in heavy Patois no less.

I just wonder if they have the same moral conviction and courage to protest the next rap artist who puts out "murder music", because the list is long.

Or do they just pick on the black guy who also includes whites in his threats? Hetero black on black murder music OK. Hetero black on black/white+LGTBQ murder music not OK.

"All animals are equal. Some animals are just more equal than others"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2018 09:09PM by SommerKind.
May 31, 2018 09:14PM
Ya, rap has a lot of bad lyrics, i hate it. But i'm thinkin in this situation, it's a lot easier to go after small fry than big fish. How successful would it be to protest Shoreline Amphitheatre and a big rap show? You'd get nowhere. These small fights can be won, so they go to battle. Big guys have tons of bucks, small guys have none.

It really has nothing to do with free speech. Sizzla is free to say whatever he wants, as we all are, if there is an economic cost, so be it.

Bummer the show was cancelled though, i don't care for that kind of blackmail. Don't go if you don't like it.

Love that reggae!
May 31, 2018 09:18PM
black people don't kill black people or make songs about killing black people BECAUSE they are black. It is usually a song about a sucka ass "negro" doing some wack BS that is the subject of the murder music so to speak. Does that make it better? Probably not but what is being "fought" against here is the idea that some people are ok to kill or harm because who they are is simply less worthy of life than another person. That is the big difference IMO. One comes about because of the all too familiar "interpersonal conflict" the other comes about because of bigotry.
May 31, 2018 09:20PM
One comes about because of the all too familiar "interpersonal conflict" the other comes about because of bigotry.

Agreed.

Love that reggae!
May 31, 2018 09:30PM
"interpersonal conflict"? Hate is hate. You can hate a person because they have more than you, or are "whack ass", or wear the same colors, or because they choose to love the same sex. I think you are excusing bad behavior to justify a different type of bad behavior.

That is why they lack any true moral conviction or courage. They only go for the small fry because it is an easy way to feed their ego and to justify their moral outrage. Hence, you will never see them protest outside of Shoreline for a rap concert.

On a parallel note, how about the rampant misogyny present in rap (along with a lot of true dancehall). I am embarrassed to have any kind of rap music playing if women are present and it is "bitch" every other word.

And Rap / Hip-Hop is the top genre right now, and it is full of murder and disrespect for woman. But Sizzla gets the heat. SMFH
May 31, 2018 10:02PM
are you not understanding the difference between having anger at one person who you have perceived as doing something to you vs haing anger at 10's of millions that you do not even know and have never had any interaction with? That is not the same thing. No we don't all kill people but some of us have punched people in the face before. Do we want them dead? No probably not but interpersonal conflict is unavoidable.. they even have it in Star Trek... Hating masses of people not because of what they have done but because of what they are is a different kind of hatred. At the end of the day this is about Capitalism. IF you see enough people gather to protest against G Easy the next time he comes to town then guess what.. he will get banned too. As it is now you don't see that or anything close to that. Half the audience is women if not more. Is it some form of strange self hatred? I don't know. But I do not that Hip Hop had decades of being banned. Come to Portland, go find a Hip Hop club to this very day and you won't find one. Find a Hip Hop Station.. outside of KBOO 90.7 community radio you won't find a single station that plays Hip Hop music that isn't "pop". The boycott of Hip Hop is institutionalized.
May 31, 2018 10:08PM
how do you explain gang violence, glorified in a lot of songs? Isn;t that an example of hating a large # of people, and wanting to kill them, even though you may not have ever had an actual interaction with them?

I get your point, but I do not think you see the hypocrisy in being offended by one and not the other. Who do you think has had a bigger role in planting seeds of violence in the minds of men? Sizzla and dancehall or your average rapper with violent lyrics? My vote would not be for Sizzla.
May 31, 2018 10:38PM
I am offended by a lot of things I choose not to boycott. It happens all the time in life. It isn't hypocrisy it is being human. I have listened to Sizzla for years and I don't hate gay people. I have listened to Hip Hop for years and I am not a violent person. I think you are simply incorrect when you are talking about music being boycotted. Look at the history of Hip Hop. C Delores Tucker.. go ahead and google that. Look at the Rev. Al Sharpton.. same thing. People have been fighting hip hop for years and some shows are and have been successfully boycotted. Others not so much. No gang violence is more like tribalism than it is racism or homophobia. Those just exist on a global scale. I am not suggesting that tribalism isn't problematic, it is. I am simply suggesting that Sizzla and a few others got on the radar at the height of social movement on the treatment of people who happen to be gay. So they lose. It isn't about fair, it is just about reality and how things work with humans.
June 01, 2018 12:03AM

June 01, 2018 12:36AM

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
June 01, 2018 07:59AM
It is not wrong to be against homosexuality any more than it is right to be a homosexual, but it seems most in our society are afraid to be labeled a phobe. If this keeps up, and the days of Sodom return, we will be begging for a character like Kalongi to be back on the scene.
June 01, 2018 11:16AM
Pale say

If this keeps up, and the days of Sodom return, we will be begging for a character like Kalongi

Sexual identity is primarily not a choice ... it's in the DNA of every newborn.

walking as a judge-mental exclusifascist know-it-all is a choice.

It's a fact, that worldwide amongst diverse Indigenous peoples, sexual identity variance is accepted without prejudice.

How bout each & all choose to use our brief sojourn upon this world to become a better, more compassionate, loving Human Beings

Choose Well
June 01, 2018 12:40PM
Just throwing my 2 cents. With all gay/lgbt stuff aside, Mateel is taking away the little reggae that I travel hundreds of miles for. Not cool.
June 01, 2018 02:51PM
If you are straight did you choose to be? I am betting on no. Being gay isn't a choice. Sorry but this isn't up for debate anymore than gravity or man made climate change. If you think it is you are incorrect. Being against someone being who they are is like being against someone for being black or red. We have a word for that and we treat people a certain way if they are into that sort of judgment. This isn't a matter or to each their own or opinion. It is a fact as fact as facts can be.
June 01, 2018 06:22PM
also, hes not playing in oakland... hopefully the berkeley show works out but I wouldnt count on it
I expected that one to be cancelled first

Respect Same Way
June 01, 2018 08:45PM
Pale Ryder
It is not wrong to be against homosexuality any more than it is right to be a homosexual, but it seems most in our society are afraid to be labeled a phobe. If this keeps up, and the days of Sodom return, we will be begging for a character like Kalongi to be back on the scene.

You just said, "it's not wrong to be racist, any more than it is right to be of a different race" what a joke.
June 01, 2018 09:30PM
tahoearmada
also, hes not playing in oakland... hopefully the berkeley show works out but I wouldnt count on it
I expected that one to be cancelled first

ya interesting pick of a venue. You would think he would learn to not take bookings at places like the the UC.

...in 5,4,3,2,...
June 01, 2018 10:04PM
I've gotten refunds for more cancelled Sizzla shows than any other performer, in any genre of music. I've been a fan of Kalonji for a long time, well before I knew about his more abhorrent statements. Like always, I just go to hear the music.
I currently have a ticket to the show in Berkeley, on the outside chance the show will go on.

There are so many things to protest against today, By next month, who knows what moral/ethical/political outrages will be inflicted on us. I wonder if the anti-Sizzla forces will have it in them to "man" the barricades of Berkeley.
June 02, 2018 12:10AM
straight, gay, trans, poly, ambiguous whatever - it's amazing how many people focus on sexuality and let it dictate their lives. as i see it, whats between my legs, and who i want to share it with is no ones business, and therefore i don't wear it on my sleeve. but if i chose to make my whole life just about this 1 thing and focused all my energy on it and ran around screaming my beliefs, i wouldn't be surprised if others voiced their opinions about it... in the end it's just such a small % of makes you a person, that it's a shame anyone on any side of the equation spends so much energy on it.

race issues are different cuz you can't hide your skin color, but on these other matters, you can keep your personal life personal, and if you did, you'd be amazed no one would really bother ya bout what ya do behind closed doors. this goes for all people, so don't try to twist it into anything it's not.

June 03, 2018 12:03AM
HG1, let me see if I overstand you here...

“Wouldn’t be surprised if others voiced their opinions about it (sexuality)” The opinions would mostly be they don’t agree with it or don’t like it. So now let’s say the same thing about race.... I’m white, “I don’t agree with a person being of a different race from me (Black, Hispanic ect.) or I don’t like those races”. That is called racism. Your only argument that the “issues are different” could only be that sexuality is a choice....which it isn’t, says science.
June 03, 2018 02:53AM
no, you obviously don't, but you did a good job of twisting it up like i predicted.

first - i said i'm amazed at how many people focus on this. never said it was right or wrong one way or another.

secondly - there is one huge difference you choose to ignore

you can't escape "wearing on your RACE on your sleeve"

you can escape "wearing on your SEXUALITY on your sleeve"

both of these apply to all people in my book - no special cases, no exemptions.

it would be amazing if this perfect world you all speak of existed, but i live in this one.

June 03, 2018 04:43AM
When I made a comparison between two parallel topics how is that twisting it?
June 03, 2018 03:20PM
also... take an example of Black Lives Matter. I don't think people who are involved with this movement have made chosen to make this one aspect of their lives the focus of their lives. I think it has been forced upon them by the way the masses treat black people on a daily basis for this "one aspect of their lives". I don't see how sexuality is any different. To say that race is different because it can't be hidden implies that people should hide their sexuality. Let's assume you are talking about all people regardless of their sexual orientation. Have you seen a dancehall show? I assume you have. That would be wearing your sexuality on your sleeve. People of all orientations wear it on their sleeves in music and in dance. Half of "the culture" wouldn't exist if they didn't and in my opinion all people should be able to act how they want without fear of repercussion. I am not accusing you of this so please don't freak out on me. I just don't see what the difference is between telling people over expressing their sexuality is the reason for bigoted comments and women dressing a certain way is causing men to behave "inappropriately". It seems like one really has nothing to do with the other. This is just my opinion... OH.. and final point.. To say what's between your legs is your business.. kind of misses the point that what's between your legs isn't in question, I think what you do with what's between your legs is the question here and if you want to make it everyone's business that is your right and I don't see where that gives anyone else the right to comment about you... Just let people be and they will let you be.. seems like the best philosophy here.
June 04, 2018 06:54PM
sorry skin color is seen from a distance, but sexuality isn't - unless you choose to display it. once again this applies to everyone.

June 04, 2018 07:04PM
"straight, gay, trans, poly, ambiguous whatever - it's amazing how many people focus on sexuality and let it dictate their lives. as i see it, whats between my legs, and who i want to share it with is no ones business, and therefore i don't wear it on my sleeve."

I have to agree with HiGrade1...Members of the gay community tend to wear their sexuality on their sleeve, mainly, because I would guess, it's what defines them. Does not mean myself or everyone else needs to constantly be reminded of it though. You don't see people -well maybe trump voters- having "straight" rallies or yelling about how straight they are, do you?

Please do not misunderstand me though...I am all for gay people having the same rights as straight people.

In the end, we should all be able to be who we are, without being judged. Let Jah be the ultimate judge.
June 04, 2018 08:29PM
how many members make up the "gay community"? Are their meetings? Do they have a secret hand shake? You guys are killing me. Not because of your stance on any given issue your ability to not see that you are stereotyping millions of people. Talking about what they "tend" to do. Black people tend to be loud.. so what some black people are loud and some aren't. Listen to hip hop and dancehall music.. you won't make it through a song without a man telling you how many gals he crushes etc. What you are saying is not only wrong because stereotypes are based in ignorance you are wrong because straight people have been telling you how straight they are in music and dance for YEARS now.
June 04, 2018 08:36PM

You can spend a couple minutes in each video and then revisit your comments about straight people not flaunting their sexuality.
June 04, 2018 08:38PM

This is too easy.. some more "sleeve wearing"
June 04, 2018 09:27PM
Everyone wears their sexuality on their sleeve. Everyone.

Love that reggae!
June 04, 2018 09:37PM
Even the man born with a vagina who prefers men? What if you are asexual? I’m just asking

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
June 05, 2018 05:37AM
Everyone's got their angle. There's a little more to it.
June 05, 2018 07:13AM
SIZZLER!!!

still tryna find that hipster sizzla vice interview from a few years back, so brutal!! anyone got the link?
June 05, 2018 06:39PM
yes there are meetings and yes there is a secret handshake.

June 05, 2018 06:51PM
I figured their must be. Perhaps a "Chief of Flamboyance" is elected every year at the SFC Pride Parade.
June 05, 2018 11:24PM
As I understand it, it's not exactly a handshake, per se.
June 06, 2018 06:35PM
I find it weird that cheif keef can play there but sizzla cant
June 06, 2018 06:52PM
IMO has nothing to do with the artist. has everything to do with how organized and energized the opposition to them is.
June 06, 2018 07:04PM
Just head my first Chief Keef (thanks Tahoe)... that music is crazy.. the whole concept of Drill music, which wasn't in my head 10 minutes ago, is a recipe for disaster.. violent disaster... it won't end well for many of the artist making this music. I think if people knew what this was about they probably wouldn't be booked there.
June 07, 2018 05:24AM
yup on both of your points