Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"The Culture"

Posted by Ninja 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
"The Culture"
June 01, 2018 04:08PM
I am all for people having their own beliefs even if they run the opposite of mine. it is what makes the world go round. What I am growing tired of is people having wack ass beliefs about other people and calling it "the culture". Like "the culture" is a perfect source from which purity can be drawn from. If someone say something that is bigoted it is because of "the culture" and I must simply not understand "the culture". Or it is because of "spiritual beliefs".. where else would this be accepted? If the Mormon's said we don't like blacks because they have the mark of Cain would we be like oh hey, they can say racist stuff because it comes from a spiritual place. Or they can say racist stuff because that is the culture of where they come from. HADES NO.. but in reggae music "the culture" is used all the time to justify all kinds of wackness. Real Culture evolves it isn't a crystalized form and If you doubt this ask Bruce Lee. I want many in the reggae community to stop acting like those wackos who show up at funerals with the God Hates F+gs signs because you degrade the culture and make it look like it doesn't involve reasoning but rather is just a dogmatic brainwashing type thing. It makes you look like wisdom has left you. Be greater than that.
Re: "The Culture"
June 01, 2018 05:47PM
You are exactly right.... Thank you my Ninja
June 01, 2018 07:13PM
Well spoken Ninj & if i may add:

June 01, 2018 11:00PM
Awww, Peacemakeya, one of my all time favorite reggae songs....Jah Jah See Dem a Come!

Love that reggae!
June 06, 2018 09:25PM
"Jah Jah See them a Come" and "Stop This Fussing and Fighting" are two of the greatest songs ever

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
June 06, 2018 10:06PM
'Calling Rastafari', they sang it at rotr last year.

Love that reggae!
June 07, 2018 01:39AM
I love using the word 'culture' as a definition. It represents what grows within the confines of a boundary, be that physical or a common interest.

If the Mormon's said we don't like blacks because they have the mark of Cain would we be like oh hey, they can say racist stuff because it comes from a spiritual place. Or they can say racist stuff because that is the culture of where they come from.

This would not be cultural, this would be doctrine, and in black and white text. An example of Mormon 'culture' would be mixing sherbet and ginger ale as a party drink, or the tendency to drive a Honda Odyssey.

Reggae culture would be wearing a pair of Clarks or dreadlocked hair. I hate to say it, but that wack-ness you speak of is doctrine and it's rolled up in a global blanket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 06:05AM by bun n cheese.
June 07, 2018 03:32PM
yeah I hear you.. the culture part that kills me is people use the term like everyone knows what everyone is referring to. I was watching this clip of Jamie Foxx and his friends.. ok let me back up... so there is this cat Pusha T.. he just releases a dis record about Drake.. well he released one a while back.. Drake just came back and Pusha T just hit him again. In "the culture" of hip hop.. battling, dis records etc are as old as time. But in this record Pusha T is VERY disrespectful.. over the top so. Talking about Drakes dad leaving him, his mom.. hit baby mama, his kid and his friend who happens to have MS... it is CRAZY.. anyway.. I am watching this clip of Jamie Foxx and his friends reacting to hearing this song.. they keep saying.. oh man. "This is good for the Culture"... and I am thinking... what the f are they talking about? The "Culture" in Hip Hop is Peace, Love, Unity and Having Fun. However somewhere along the way it got hijacked... I wonder if that has happened or did happen in reggae music.. where somewhere along the way the Reggae Taliban.. hijacked the music and infused it with a Puritan teachings and start trying to pass it off as the purist form of reggae.. anyway I am rambling.. but the original question was meant to be wider than just about "reggae culture".. Lastly though.. in your definition (which I like) growth is key.. I think that people (including myself) need to see that all growth isn't a good thing.. tumors grow.... If you want to know what I mean.. just go online and look up Drill Hip Hop.. a small piece of me died yesterday.
June 07, 2018 06:25PM
Ninja
The "Culture" in Hip Hop is Peace, Love, Unity and Having Fun.

ummmm no.

i think you confused hip-hop with old school raves.

RAVE = Peace Love Unity Respect

Hip Hop = MCing DJing Breakdancing Graffiti

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 07, 2018 06:32PM
as one who was around at the start of Hip Hop Music in general.. when I say Peace Love Unity and Having fun... if you don't know what that is about then I cannot assist you. I think what you are missing is that the Graf, Breaking, DJing and EMCEEing are the "Fun" in the equation. You can debate whether or not Afrika Bambatta was a good guy or not. You cannot debate his place in the creation of Hip Hop culture.... as the youth say "google it" if you doubt what I am saying.
June 07, 2018 06:48PM
Peace, love, unity and respect, as well as upliftment of poor folks were definitely part of original hip-hop culture. I don't follow today's "hip-hop" artists because they ain't hip-hop...it's just commercial rap with no conscience, with some exceptions here and there...I mean, there are "underground" hip-hop artists i follow...Madlib, MF Doom, Dilla... I really dig all the conscious hip-hop that came out in the late 80s and early 90s...I used to really like KRS-1 until he lost his damn mind and showed his true freemasonic character...that whole pedofile business with Bambatta is so disgusting...
June 07, 2018 08:09PM
yes ninja, none of us understand anything as well as you. you have made that abundantly clear.
thanks for enlightening us to your devine knowledge, we are all better people because of you.

smileys with beer

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 09, 2018 07:54PM
thank you.. your Grade is the highest