Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do you listen to music? Where do you buy your music?

Posted by Ras Matches 
How do you listen to music? Where do you buy your music?
June 07, 2018 02:51AM
I still have all my old tapes and CDs. I have been collecting vinyl all my life, but I stopped buying CDs many years ago and started buying strictly vinyl. I can make my own CDs after I transfer it ,mostly. It all uploads to my phone when I’m on the go. I can play reggae from my phone at least 13 days in a row 24/7 , no commercials ,all roots

I used to shop at Ernie B’s, he has a new site but the price is the same as in stores or more. Discogs is a nice place to shop, they have a ton of discography information as well as valuation for your collection. Believe it or not, for reissues Barnes and Nobel and Frys have a decent selection for the price. I love Digikiller Records online-they have a ridiculous reissue, B-sides, Dubs and unreleased selection on quality vinyl.

Locally, it’s Streetlight Records in San Jose and Santa Cruz, Metavinyl in Santa Cruz, Amoeba Records in S.F., Needle to the Groove in San Jose, Rasputin, flea markets , garage sales, Record Swaps -I have never actually seen anyone swap records. smiling smiley

Also ,I’m a loyal listener and contributor to commercial free FM Radio. Listen live online or Spliff’s shows are archived. Robert’s 3 hour shows are archived on his Soundcloud for 1 week at a time.These radio shows have been running for decades, 25 years at least.. Robert Rankin and Spliff Skankin are Massive Sound International

KKUP 91.5 Cupertino (broadcast out of San Jose) ____Jah’s Music every Monday 12pm-3pm , Solid Foundation every Friday 6pm-9pm with Rob Rankin
KFJC 89.7 Los Altos ____ Jah’s Music with Spliff Skankin every Sunday 3pm-7pm
KPFA 94.1 Berkeley___ The Reggae Express with Spliff Skankin every Tuesday night 10pm-12am

Monday’s is strictly roots, Tuesday’s Express depends on Spliffs mood, Friday is 3 hours- roots ,then newer music, then dancehall for an hour each. Sunday starts out with a Bob Marley Road Block live concert ,somewhere in the world and a different location everytime , then roots music and maybe your request.

Digikiller records

Ernie B’s new site

Discogs

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 03:54AM by Ras Matches.
Re: How do you listen to music? Where do you buy your music?
June 07, 2018 09:42PM
Honestly I listen to all my music through digitial outlets i.e. Soundcloud, Spotify and the BBC iPlayer app. I never got into collecting vinyl but really wish I did. Used to buy CDs and still have them in a massive binder but rarely pull them out anymore as they're all on my phone and computer in digital format.
June 07, 2018 09:50PM
I can play reggae from my phone at least 13 days in a row 24/7 , no commercials ,all roots

Love your livication. nuff raspeck
June 08, 2018 03:00AM
I used to buy cds many years ago. Then I had a love affair with reggaeddl.com. Not sure if it still exists, it's been many years, But that website introduced me to so much. I mostly buy vinyl, and every once in a while buy a cd or tape. I haven't purchased or pirated digital music in a long time. I've been slow to check new stuff and normally get it through youtube or google play.
June 08, 2018 05:45PM
yeah, reggaeddl.com is a pirate site that does still exist. really don't know how that falls into "How do you listen to music? Where do you buy your music?" cas one neither listens nor buys there...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
June 08, 2018 10:34PM
my bad Ras Danny, what I should have said was that I used to listen to a lot more music digitally when I was downloading from reggaeDDL, now I just buy records
June 09, 2018 05:46PM
the CD quality in my car beats any digital format, so although most of my music is digital, stuff that is central to my core I have to play off of a CD

Giving thanks!
June 09, 2018 08:42PM
reggaeddl.com! I havnt been there forever!

Ive been growing my vinyl collection for some time - nothing like waiting and receiving new music in the mail or visiting shops around town.

fortunate to have some gems signed at shows - always dedicate the message to my daughter.
June 10, 2018 08:01AM
I listen primarily on my phone but through a portable bluetooth speaker or in my car, and sometimes on the phones speakers. Sometimes YouTube as well.

I buy my music on iTunes mostly but also have a paid subscription to Irie FM, and the free Ablazin radio app.

Looking forward to my 2nd SNWMF experience smiling smiley
June 12, 2018 11:24PM
For listening...I'm usually previewing music that comes to me for my show RAW REGGAE. That used to come in the mail on CD, but nowadays most of it comes across digitally and I need to send it to my coDJ Dread Word to burn to a CD........i have no idea how to do such a thing myself. So old school.

For buying....it was primarily Ernie Bs for years. Once in a while another site. While .in the States, a trip to Amoebas or Rasputins is a first stop. I've reconnected with Ernie Bs new site, but its still in its growing stages.
June 14, 2018 04:48AM

GREAT POST!!!

I still play my vinyl as well. I shop for my music online on Ebay as well as locally at:

Melody Records Chico CA

When I use to live in Santa Cruz before the earthquake I would go to Logos.

I am a community radio supporter as well. I use to support KKUP when I lived in San Jose. Now, I support: KZFR

I would love to have a digital music devise to have all my rare, hard to find music in the palm of my hand... but I'm still playing my vinyl and CDs. Perhaps one day.

RiverCreek (Riv Mancuso) aka Robbinjaye

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2018 04:53AM by RobbinJaye.
June 14, 2018 06:13PM
local vinyl store for vinyl and itunes for mp3!
local radio station (kdvs) for some show (sunday reggae) and cpr everynight for jazz!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login