Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sound Clash

Posted by The Gooch 
Sound Clash
October 31, 2003 01:38AM
Late night should have the Dancehall Massive calling for Tony Matterhorn vs. Bass Oddessey. Bring Back the Might Crown. Good competiion is not slack, it is in the tradition of the music
Fish
Re: Sound Clash
November 01, 2003 08:59PM
A few problems:
#1 Isn't Matterhorn barred from entering the country due to immigration issues?
#2 Even if he could get into the country, do you really think Matterhorn will agree to a 1-on-1 clash? I doubt it.
#3 Big-name sounds are expensive in general, and it's a lot more expensive to hire two or three sounds to play for a certain amount of time than it is to hire only one sound to cover the time slot, especially since the sounds will expect more money to play in a clash and risk defeat than they expect for simple juggling. Personally, I think the show's funds are better directed towards live artists, especially the less-"poppy" foundation artists which SNWMF gives us our only chance to see (Johnny Clarke, for example). So even if you picked different sounds, I'm not sure it's a good idea.

I personally would like to see Stur Gav again; either that or a different foundation JA sound. I think it might fit in better with the current spirit of the festival than a soundclash with a bunch of selectors screaming obscenities at each other, and foundation sounds don't have many opportunities to play elsewhere.
But if there was going to be a bashment sound - what about 4X4 Exodus? I haven't heard many tapes from them, but I've heard that they've been sounding pretty good recently. They'd probably charge a lot less than Matterhorn or Jaro, too.
November 02, 2003 05:59PM
Bring Rodigan!
November 11, 2003 10:20PM
A sound clash would be sick, last year we had U-Roy and Pappa Briggie, it wasnt a clash, but it was sick. Bring back something similar......This ones dedicated to Jah, Jah's my light, my salvation.....Bring Back Brigadier Jerry
January 07, 2004 01:24AM
Cosign David Rodigan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
solid
January 07, 2004 01:33AM

Rodigan was invited a couple years back, but couldn't make it because the festival fell on his 50th birthday.. but generally a limitation when it comes to Rodigan is the added expense of transatlantic transportation ($$$).

i also would like to see a tough foundation sound for the Saturday night dance... and i do believe that there is something along these lines under consideration..
January 07, 2004 03:46PM
Yo its all about the underground, EPICENTER SOUND SYSTEMS from Bolinas Ca, there hot!
January 14, 2004 09:40PM
yo and they are young ---the future---big up tizzle
January 20, 2004 05:25AM
Went to see a suond clash,what sound clash.Cali needs to see or hear a sound clash.Stoe Love aginst Mighty Crown let it be done, let us see who is the sound ruler.So SNWMF GIVE US A REAL SOUND CLASH!!!!........

January 20, 2004 02:21PM
it's going to be MY 50th birthday and i can't wait for whoever you bring!! i'm bringing my yuppie, shrink boyfriend, see if i can loosen him up a bit. what do i need to know for a REALLY good time?

AliceBtoke
January 20, 2004 07:01PM
yo fantasticalice - for a REALLY GOOD TIME leave your boyfriend at home and hang with me.
bun n cheese
January 20, 2004 07:20PM
are you camping? If not, go directly to #4.

1 - a canopy for camping area (shade)
2 - an air matress for your tent
3 - a lawn chair for the venue.
4 - the chocolates
April 17, 2004 04:49PM
Blessings everyone. I'm representing King Animosity Sound System from the Virgin Islands. I agree with fish comment on the prices of those other sounds. It is very unreasonable at times. The only sounds I think worth big bucks is Black Kat, Jaro, Mighty Crown, and Jaro...they give you ur monies worth.
April 17, 2004 04:53PM
Funny this post should be brought up today...Mighty Crown vs Matterhorn in a 1-vs-1 clash tonight in Trinidad. SHould be wicked.

As far as sound clash @ a festival like SNWMF? I honestly doubt any other than a few of us here would appreciate it, especially when dealing with the biggest sounds like JAro, Crown, Blackat etc. It would be a dream come true still...
April 17, 2004 04:55PM
@voodoo, Stone Love hasn't clashed for years. And Crown would write that off to embarrassment if they did.
April 17, 2004 06:52PM
this post is an old thread re-done. clashing is not the rite vibe for this festival. sayz who? iNi, end of story. lets start over again. >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
May 05, 2004 11:07PM
hey you know where i can snatch a EPICENTER SOUND SYSTEMS record ?
jb welda
May 05, 2004 11:09PM
the surf shop in bolinas?

one love
jah bill
The Gooch
May 06, 2004 12:38AM
It is time I respond. A sound Clash is an art. It is like an MC battle. To say that it is inherently negative is to miss the point. Perhaps it is too expensive, that is a valid point, but too say that a Clash would provide the wrong vibe is not a reflecction of the truth. Negativity is in the heart of mankind not inherent in any given action. A true battle is like watching sounds spar, and at the end ofthe night the crowd is too tired to stand and both DJ's go home having mashed the stage.
May 06, 2004 01:21AM
sure your rite about someting. it entertainment. which i* guess some people call art in some wayz. so really when u break anyting down people do for show could be called art. but i'll have to beg to differ with ya a bit because iNi are one'z to beleive dat muzak iz a mission nah a competition. so u could seh i* stand with Junior Reid or Capleton on dis subject. who are known to do dubplates for work but really leave a more pozitive message in the wordz dey use than the bloodclot clash dat iz going on from M.C.'z voice over system. many systemz use artists like these to gain level dey want to reach & when dey reach high dem stop useing the artists dat got dem dar in the first place & only boast about who dey have & how many dubplates dey gonna kill your souN wit. so when i* original statment comez back for the punch. i* nah condem clash'z @all dey pretty much have their own road show. but in all do u really think sound fitez are rite vibe for a nice little country family gathering? your sound my souN-> nah nuff JAH jah jah. stepperz are rizein' & people really need to decide what kind of direction iNi want to go. let the riddim run da dance. i*cant keep i* feet movein' when all i* hear PULL-up! itz dancehall remember? nah stop the muzak chatty hall. nuff RASpects. rootz take it back over again even if the dub change with the new advance tech dat JAH bless iNi with to use on the control tower. yo'hip-hop aray nuttin' new. but i* can enjoy dat aswell if it can manage to conquir all the negative aspect of the industry. sorry for such a long post. but i* thought dis had a bruial already but u come back & dig up the dead issue. "dont want tha roots controler here"- Misty in Roots*
May 06, 2004 02:36AM
I disagree with Jahmeek's opinion on the subject of clash, but he is correct, this ain't quite the right place for sound clash. We have local clashes here in Oakland and they are fairly well-attended, but I'm not sure an expensive one with the big sounds would work. If so, it still would be better somewhere like Club Dread and not SNWMF.
PS, the Gooch, link me if you want to trade sound system CDs I have hundreds, including the new JA & UK World Clashes.
May 06, 2004 05:17AM
greetings:

I find the best soundclashes that happen are ones between friends.. two sounds laughing as they try to one up each other.....

nothing wrong with a little competition - it can inspire greater performance and musicianship.

It is a shame when things get ugly though - taints the experience for everyone... A 'soundclash' should be a musical competition and nothing else - a lot of times events will be billed soundclashes, but in reality are more like: 'whoever can play the first five seconds of a record, rewind, then shout momma jokes about who they are clashing, the loudest, wins'

mighty crown is a good example - do we really need to hear all the bullshit that accompanies their selection - them boys have a lot of money and a giant dubcrate filled to the brim with nice selections - problem is, you can't hear the music over the mc's screaming 'batty bwoy dis, @#$%& pussy clot ras clot sound dat'

you know - after typing that last part, I can see why they do it - it is a lot of fun to run your potty mouth.. envigorating ;-)

one love
matt

[www.unitysound.com]

'Rise above dreams and loiter not - open to truth your mind
Live in Righteousness - and you, eternal bliss will find'

[www.unitysound.com]
May 06, 2004 05:24AM
Speaking of Epic Center Sound.. what is that? I saw a flyer and recognized some youths on it... They've got a gig this Saturday in SF?
Stevo
May 06, 2004 06:27AM
Not sure, but I am interested as well.............anyone?
Ganja Money
May 06, 2004 09:56PM
Clash clash clash, ...
We don't need no clash at SNWMF! Friday night Downbeat the Ruler, legendary downbeat soundsystem; and Saturday night the Immortal Stone Love, alongside the Bay Area UNDEFEATED Jah Warrior Shelter! Nuff Said.........................
May 06, 2004 09:59PM
correction: jah warrior shelter hi-fi on friday nite before Downbeat! Stone Love opener? juggle dem vibez NO MORE SOUND WARZ! -RASpects+
jb welda
May 06, 2004 10:25PM
i believe epicenter sound system is out of bolinas, hence my remark above. could be wrong though, its a thought i picked up on an earlier thread on this very message board.

one love
jah bill
The Gooch
May 07, 2004 02:47AM
Raspect Man called Jahmeek. I hear your words. I only wish that you will hear mine. I know that the positive roots will long outlive the slackness that we hear in a lot of the dancehall. It is a mission that is manifested in voices like Garnett Silk and the Morgan Family. But when I hear Capleton calling to "burn them up and string them up alive" I do not get a sense of asmall country family affair. If If the King and his music are to be truely uplifted this is the vibe that must be removed from Reggae music. A clash between friends will not harm anyone, but it might just murder your sound.
May 07, 2004 03:06AM
yes fyah mon* capleton iz a little ruff when it comez to raw truth* but i* never heard him seh anyting about stringin' any1 up but the fyah does burn* -RASpects+
The Gooch
May 07, 2004 01:26PM
Check him on the Matrix Riddim. I Love King Shango, but judgement and justice only JAH shall execute, and none shall escape judgement.
May 10, 2004 09:00PM
dubplates dont mean nothing......if you got them cool,but can your mixin and jugglin skills back it up.....some i would say NO...others i would say they deserve them..i agree though, a sound clash sould be about the selection the way the crowd reacts...bring it back to the turntablist clashes..the speak their sound on the wheels, not the mic...nuff said..half the time when m.c's are on the mic their hollerin at the top of their lungs and the more than half the crowd cant understand...ive been spinnin this show for quiet awhile on the main stage as well as listening to maaaannny clash tapes,i m into it a bit, but hollerin doesnt justify true mixin skills, I WOULD RATHER SEE ONE SELECTA DOIN IT ALL, MIXIN,TOASTIN (when it is appropriate,and not every 2 second)and PLEASIN THE CROWD....TOO MANY PULL UPS AND "THIS IS AN EXCLUSIVE FOUND ONLY ON so and so SOUND" IS NOT ALWAYS NEEDED...again a clash sould be a few homies havin a irie time and not insultin people or races......

see all at the fest.
THE MYSTIC 1
May 12, 2004 01:30AM
those guys all want 10 geez
buddy
September 09, 2004 05:44PM
well for this year and the beginning of 2005 "HUMANITY" will be the next up coming sound system with the youngest dj's to oppose any sound system out there with many killer dubplates and variety of dubs
the humanity crew consist of 5 member bring something specially to the to the sound clash world. Their names are DR.DREW, STALLION, ECLIPSE, SPARKS, AND PRIMO.

Hear this bbbbbwooooooy

Humanity you are to me all that a sound should be cause i dedicate my stories to you always, and your the burning sound that blaze in the dancing night

big up to the past humanity relatives and the new ones nuff respect jewel
Reggae Warehouse
September 09, 2004 07:11PM
Dub Plates are everything in a clash and so is talking some fuckery....keep juggling if your a juggling dee jay but dont say that a clash has to lose all of its fun because some people dont like to be called names.
September 10, 2004 06:31AM
True, warehouse. And dubplates differentiate a sound; anyone can play sound-killing 45s (including myself).
The annual dubplate clash @ the Shattuck Downlow will be next Sunday, the 19th in Berkeley. Should be good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login