Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Congos?

Posted by djbigjim 
Congos?
April 04, 2005 03:23PM
I am heartily recommending everyone go out and get the new Congos' release called Give them the Rights on the Young Tree record label. It's pure niceness and awesome musicians make it another classic Congos record.

Congos have not graced a SNWMF stage since 1997.....I feel its time again...
what do you think?
Re: Congos?
April 04, 2005 03:27PM
It's good to hear that they came with some quality. I'll have to check them in. I would love to see them this year.
R_Drummie
April 04, 2005 04:56PM
Just curious, Who's on this CD as the Congos? Are Watty Burnett and Ashanti Roy on it too? I remember readign an article about them that Cedric was in JA and talking about reuniting the original Congos..but mentioned only him and A.Roy with the help of Milton Henry. There was no mention about Watty in the article.
So who's singing as the Congos besides Cedric?
R_D
April 04, 2005 05:18PM
Funny you beat me to it Big Jim. The album has an all-star list of players. Very rootsy and crystal clear engineering and mastering. Not to mention the case artwork is beautiful to look at.

I've heard that the Congos can be very difficult to deal with when it comes to the stage and have pretty much burned most of their bridges with promoters in Cali. Anyone have any comment on that? I too would like to see them.

fourtwentyplenty
Dubification
April 04, 2005 06:52PM
I agree this is a crucial disk
April 04, 2005 07:43PM
Yes I the album is TUFF!!!! Love it to the core and is well needed!
The message is indeed in the Music!!!!

blessed
Kufunya
R_Drummie
April 04, 2005 09:09PM
Author: fourtwentyplenty (---.dsl.static.sonic.net)
Date: 04-04-05 17:18

Funny you beat me to it Big Jim. The album has an all-star list of players. Very rootsy and crystal clear engineering and mastering. Not to mention the case artwork is beautiful to look at.

I've heard that the Congos can be very difficult to deal with when it comes to the stage and have pretty much burned most of their bridges with promoters in Cali. Anyone have any comment on that? >><-------------snipped......
.....Uhmm...yup..uh...nah..."Silent is Gold", Me Yutewinking smiley
R_D

"Me nah bodda wit dat...notting but scheisters dem" - Rabbi Jah Moishe Lev-I
April 04, 2005 09:54PM
as much as it sounds like watty on a couple of tracks, he is not listed as bg vocalist. but check who is:

earl morgan
lloyd denton
cedric myton
horsemouth
bagga
junior delgado
peter routes
desmond irie
schieps

and for players of instruments--forget it:

sly/horsemouth/flabba/robbie/bagga/fish/chinna/dwight pickney/jr marvin/gladdy/robbie lyn/dizzy moore/david madden/dean frazer/nambo/sticky/bongo herman/sons of negus...and more!

been trying to get this one outta teresa's hands, it's delightful. thanks young tree--nice roots; will bear much fruit and shade later!!

m.

April 04, 2005 11:27PM
wow sounds killer
Dubification
April 05, 2005 09:09AM
it is killer...just found you can get it online at www.youngtreerecords.com

They have some other crucial disks there as well.

First time i've seen "Pave the Way" on CD!
April 05, 2005 05:21PM
wha gwaan Big Jim

blessings from NM
hope to see you in June

PS, yo uwant to hook I up with some crucial live cds?
most a mine were stolen recently

Kabir
April 06, 2005 12:05PM
Sorry, No Watty or Congo Ashanti Roy here, it seems I read a while back on a Jamaican Online Paper that Congo Ashanti Roy was talking about rejoining and I cannot speak for Watty, but it seemed clear from his last release To Hell and Back, that he was an "EX-CONGO". I was hoping that Lindberg Lewis would be on there, but I cannot complain, they got Cedric's high voice and someone who's got that BASS voice. I don't know what the deal is about them touring out in Cali, they played two great shows at Belly Up Tavern, so whoever isn't booking them is really missing out. Sorry just had a flashback to the press conference in 1998 at the River, where Cedric and Watty were talking and actor and "So instantly recognized" face Danny Glover just happened to stick his head into the press tent.....every face turned and had that moment of recognition and Danny did the logical thing, quickly turned and departed. I guess you had to be there.
Give Them the Rights is a fantastic album, and hopefully it's awareness and success will bring them to live fans in California again. I am working on an interview with Cedric so maybe I will have more info soon come....
Dubification
April 18, 2005 11:07AM
DJ Big Jim you have that interview yet?
April 27, 2005 01:51PM
Still Working on the interview, apparently Cedric is currently in Europe and I am hoping to get it soon, till then go get a copy of Give them the rights....

Anyone care to guess what Track #5 is talking about

Track called Undiluted Soldier, is it a reggae musician soldier fighting against the forces seeking sellout, or is it about actual soldiers?

Regardless of your opinion, it's a killer song
Dubification
April 27, 2005 04:00PM
My favorite track on the album...I took it literally but I like your interpritation
April 27, 2005 09:56PM
jafada gets some real top quality acts to come through san diego. having them at the bellyup is such a treat too...
April 11, 2006 05:55PM
Greetings all, stumbled across this searching on google for Watty's CD Hell And Back...did it ever get released???

Also, I've heard rumours (many a moon ago) about a full reunion.. 'The Second Coming' I heard it was gonna be called.. ah well, for now I have Heart Of The.. to last me a lifetime

many thanks
Matt
April 11, 2006 05:57PM
P.S just realised I dragged this topic up from about a year ago, sorry all, just desperate to hear some Watty other than the Black Ark!
mosquito killer
April 11, 2006 06:21PM
greetings matt.

ernie b has watty's hell and back in stock right now, and it's dirt cheap at $4.99...

m.

April 15, 2006 07:33PM
Heard the announcement that a Full reunion of the Congos this year at a Nw reggae Fest. The announcer was talking about 4 members . any one know who the fourth would be....? Also Junior Reid, Anthony B, and Mikey General... Will the Messanger Be following?

Blood always follows the vein
April 15, 2006 11:04PM
So, were there three or 4 orignal members >? was there someone that replaced watty at a point?
April 16, 2006 05:35PM
When the Congos last played a festival, who were the vocalists?
April 16, 2006 10:09PM
Last time I saw them it was Cedric and Watty - backed by Root Awakening.
alisha
April 17, 2006 09:23AM
YES YES....
April 17, 2006 09:51AM
Cedric usually came out with one other singer--Watty a few times, also Preps and Milton Henry...when we'd back them, a couple of us, usually Johnny & Vince, would help with the harmonies. It'd be great to have 3 of the orig. singers working in harmony. I hope it happens.
April 17, 2006 05:04PM
Vince? as in Vince Black? who else did he play with like 10 15 years ago?
April 17, 2006 06:11PM
Vince did a great job covering Watty's bass harmonies & playing lead the first time we were w/the Congos in 1998. We worked w/Congos on & off thru about '02...
Vince has played with a whole slew of people since like the late 70s...these days he's playing w/Prezident Brown among others, he's just back from a festival in Mexico...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login