Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fazal Prendergast.

Posted by Bufo bufo 
Fazal Prendergast.
April 05, 2005 04:25PM
This article states he was driving from a gig in SF around 1.00 pm Friday, anyone know if that gig would have been the Don Carlos /Ras Michael show on Thursday night ? The music was great that night, I'm wondering if I was there for his last performance, what a terrible tragedy this is.

Author: norcaljahman (---.vascular.medtronic.com)
Date:   04-05-05 07:53

Reggae musician died in Eel River
Well-known North Coast guitarist en route to Arcata crashes into water
Tuesday, April 5, 2005

By Glenda Anderson
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
ganderson@pressdemocrat.com

Zoom Photo

Fazal Prendergast used to say he would die with his beloved guitar.

It nearly saved the well-known North Coast reggae musician, who swerved off Highway 101 into the swollen, roiling Eel River on Friday while driving to a gig in Arcata.

In his final act, Prendergast climbed out of the wreckage of his 1991 Mercedes, clutching the guitar case that held his Fender Stratocaster, and began making his way to shore, the CHP said.

Prendergast thrust his guitar case into the outstretched arms of several would-be rescuers, who stood on the riverbank and tried to pull him out of the water, the CHP said.

But Prendergast, 46, lost his grip on the guitar case and was swept away in the raging river. Rescue teams recovered his body two hours later, a quarter-mile downstream near the Humboldt-Mendocino county line, the CHP said.

It's unclear whether Prendergast intended to save his guitar or use it to save himself, the CHP said.

His wife of 11 years, Colette McGeough, thinks it may have been both.

"He always said he would die with his guitar," she said.

Prendergast was on his way from performing at a San Francisco club to another concert in Arcata at the time of the 1:10 p.m. Friday accident, said his manager, Robert Oyugi.

He most recently led a group called Yellow Wall Dub Squad, but had played all over the world with just about all the great reggae musicians during his 30-plus year career, Oyugi said.

"It's a big loss. He's a legend in reggae," Oyugi said.

In 1977, he performed with Israel Vibrations as the opening act for Bob Marley and the Wailers at the International Year of the Child Festival in Jamaica, he said.

Prendergast also had backed the legendary Augustus Pablo, Hugh Mundell, Jacob Miller, Sister Carol and many others, Oyugi said. He was scheduled to play with Don Carlos last weekend, he said.

Prendergast began his recording career in Kingston, Jamaica, in the 1970s, Oyugi said.

"If you look back at the old vinyl, you'll see his name," said Sister DJ Yasmin, who spins reggae music Sunday nights at radio station KMFB on the Mendocino coast.

"He was a pioneer. And he was a super nice guy. A devoted father and husband," she said.

Prendergast, McGeough and their 9-year-old daughter, Deadhra , moved to Loch Lomond in Lake County from Guerneville last August, McGeough said.

They relocated so he could have a larger recording studio in a place where there were few neighbors to annoy, she said.

"It's a beautiful spot on the top of a mountain," McGeough said.

She said it's hard for her to cope with her loss right now, but expects a large memorial will be arranged in his honor in a month or so, probably in the Bay Area where he frequently performed.

"He's going to be missed by so many people," Oyugi said.
jb welda
Re: Fazal Prendergast.
April 05, 2005 04:36PM
yes you got that right bufo.

major loss in the community. dont know what else to say but its just plain bad news...

i hear they went on with the show that friday night, thats dedication. couldnt have been too joyous of an occasion.

one love
jah bill
April 05, 2005 05:01PM
Yes Bufo, that Thursday show was Fazal's last. He was on his way up to Arcata to back Don Carlos on Saturday.
We were truly blessed to have a musician like Fazal here in Cali, perhaps more than we knew. May the Most High guide and protect his soul.
April 05, 2005 05:05PM
Well I feel both very sad and honored to have been there, R.I.P. Fazel, and thank you for the music.
April 06, 2005 12:18AM
Im still bummed aboout it

he was here in NM last spring and InI was blessed to shuttle him to the radio station for a live interview on KUNM's Reggae show- Iyah for a show that I helped put together here in Albuquerque. One of the hardest working reggae bands Ive seen- I will always remember that!

He also had a very close bredren here in Albuquerque- Jah B

He was here in the fall as well w/Yellow Wall- backing up Sister Carol and Yami Bolo at the Reggae At The Falls Fest..

Fazel, we will always remember you
April 06, 2005 12:35AM
A huge loss to the community:

[www.jahworks.org]

Bless.
April 06, 2005 02:10AM
April 06, 2005 06:36PM
You know , as I read about Brother Fazal I feel the void that is left-
I don't really know him , but Isaw Fazal perfom at Reggae concerts and he was really into his ART!
I still feel the void, why because we are all connected by a common thread JAH who created us all and Sweet Reggae Music!

Brothers and Sisters let us call on the Angels to pour out Compassion and Love for the family as well as the extended family!

And please Family let us protect each other- look out for each other as best we can.

Play on My Brother - Play On! Fore You are with our CREATOR & KING
JAH! RASTAFARI- HAILE SELASSIE I

Send Out Love

Kufunya
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login