Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

St.Croix Showcase

Posted by calireggae 
calireggae
St.Croix Showcase
April 06, 2005 03:01AM
Since there is so many young st.croix artists that don't yet have much notarity I think that it would be cool to have some sort of a st.croix showcase. Get like three or four singers together and one group of musicains to back them and give them all a set just long enough to showcase their abilites. I personally would love to see Army, Abja, and Yahadani. Any one else be intrested in something like that?
Re: St.Croix Showcase
April 06, 2005 03:48AM
Who is this calireggae? Sounds like a clone of Ras E or something?

Wonderful, love the idea to the fullest. What you just asked for is exactly what

the I grade records team, with the Blackfoot band backing are more than willing to provide. The real. Don't say I didn't warn you.
They are willing to back Yahadanai, Abja, Army, and Niyorah. Check igraderecords.com or 646.226.1738.
April 06, 2005 04:14PM
I guess you and I are alone on this topic.
April 06, 2005 04:16PM
Nah I am with ya'll on this one too.
April 06, 2005 04:36PM
iman as well

i would love to see yahdanai and abja and batch and attitude and the list gows on
April 06, 2005 05:16PM
Didn't they have a Barbados showcase some years back? or was that ROTR? Apparently the people in charge thought that was going to be the 'next big thing' in reggae. In any case, not much has been heard from too many of the Barbados artists lately. By all means, have a St. Croix showcase @ SNWMF but please don't be too surprised or disappointed if not everyone there views them in the same way you do vis-a-vis the JA artists.
/getting out the asbestos suit...
calireggae
April 06, 2005 05:59PM
Sure it's possible that people might not dig it. But seeing as all of the St. Croix artists that have been out this way so far have had good turnouts and good reviews I think that people would be into it.
April 06, 2005 06:04PM
I never heard of a barbados artist selling out shows throughout the west coast. Midnite, Dezarie and Ikahba have both done that.
By the way, who is an artist from Barbados, not sure I have ever heard of one.

Don't say I didn't warn you
April 06, 2005 06:09PM
I never heard of a barbados artist selling out shows throughout the west coast. Midnite, Dezarie and Ikahba have both done that.
By the way, who is an artist from Barbados, not sure I have ever heard of one.

Don't say I didn't warn you

Stamina relax. If the st croix showcase proves to be terrible or less than what we all expected, than you can chant down such an idea. till then, lets just see what happens Im really curious.

Oh yeah checked "barbados reggae artist" and only showing was David Kirton and Shakey Ranks. Any more? Anyone?
calireggae
April 06, 2005 06:23PM
Ras E, who plays in the Blackfoot band? Is that Tippy and Kennyatta and the other guys from Igrade?
April 06, 2005 08:28PM
You must've misunderstood me. I said "By all means, have a St. Croix showcase @ SNWMF"...nobody said it would be terrible. music is a matter of taste. I love a lot of St. Croix music I hear on the radio and the web, it's just uneven, if only because they tend to record before they're ready. That's not a diss, it's just fact. Think of all the JA artists who, once they got popular, every producer on the rock wanted to record them, resulting in a lot of hastily-assembled tracks of wildly varying quality cluttering the market. One would hope that, rather than a scattershot approach to recording, the Cruzian musicians would focus their energies on a select few "cruz-ial" cds. Right now there seem to be more recordings coming out of St X than JA, and that's saying a lot.
BTW it WAS ROTR '99 that featured a slate of Bajan artists which I will cut-&-paste:
Barbados Invasion--
David Kirton
Arturo Tappin
John King
Biggie Irie

Nicholas Branker
Nathalee Burke
Edwin Yearwood
Allison Hinds

...and of those artists, the first two are the only ones to make much noise since then, Tappin especially, he is an awesome saxophonist. Obviously, the ROTR folks thought there was plenty of talent in Barbados as well.

As far as the relative popularity of the artists being the ultimate criterion, well, how many of you want Sean Paul to play SNWMF? Hey, he'd outdraw Midnite easily. And Britney would outdraw HIM. This weekend I saw a great show in SF with the Meditations (yes all 3 of them) singing gorgeous tight harmonies in front of a quartet of wikked NYC studio musicians--for about 50 people, of which maybe half were on the guest list. I felt sorry for the promoter. Well, that'll teach him to produce non-StX shows...

/still have my asbestos jumper on...
April 06, 2005 08:28PM
Yes,
Blackfoot is Tippy on keys(I grade producer multi intrusmentalist)

Gregory jackson on Bass(formerely with burning spear)

Astor Campbell drums (formerely with Dennis Brown and Gregory Isaacs)

Natty French guitar (formerely with Congos and Meditations)
HIGHPRAISE
April 06, 2005 10:49PM
Heard a rumor at the Dezarie show in S.D... Someone respectable sayin Army for sure and maybe others at SNWMF.. Hope its true..Dont know about Blackfoot probably Bambu......
April 06, 2005 11:00PM
Who did you hear that from, the same people who said that Batch and Ras Attitude were gonna be at BMD in San Diego for the past 2 years?
HIGHPRAISE
April 06, 2005 11:03PM
Hope not..
HIGHPRAISE
April 06, 2005 11:04PM
You heard anything on this Daniel ??
HIGHPRAISE
April 07, 2005 12:00AM
Whatever......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login