Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

my fantasy

Posted by ms d. boht 
ms d. boht
my fantasy
April 22, 2004 12:49AM
i am a "reggae rookie" so i could use a guide to help me buy music. would it be too much trouble for you boys and girls to list what ;you think is the best cd or
record is the best for some of the lineup. and maybe thge cds are sorta easily available (like frfom that nice fella ernie b). i would like to show up at this festival with some knowledcge of the tunes and also with the hot music of each performer. thankyou and see ya at the fair
Re: my fantasy
April 22, 2004 01:03AM
Well most of the artists have some tracks available at:
[www.snwmf.com]

As far as artist's CDs, I would start with:
Burning Spear - Freeman
Beres Hammond - Can't Stop A Man
Dezarie - Gracious Mama Africa

The Spear and Beres albums are their most recent. The Dezarie album is great and her conscious roots vocals are sure to be a smash at the festival.
Fish
April 22, 2004 06:19AM
Here's a few for starters:
Burning Spear:
Marcus Garvey (also look for Rocking Time and Presenting, but this is the one to get first)

Alton Ellis:
Cry Tough
Arise Black Man
Sunday Coming (all crucial)

Don Carlos: Them Never Know Natty Dread Have Him Credential (I think it's sporadically reissued on CD; Ernie B's had it for a while but I'm not sure if he does anymore)

Linval Thompson: Ride On Dreadlocks

Horace Andy:
Good Vibes
Skylarking
Dancehall Style
jb welda
April 22, 2004 04:00PM
spear: marcus garvey/garveys ghost (two for one cd)
presenting burning spear
the compilation on pressure sounds

don carlos: like fish says, credential, plus just a passing glance on RAS, harvest time, day to day living, pure gold on black solidarity looks to be pretty good, and one that i dont see currently called firehouse clash with junior reid and ras portraits looks to be a good sampler.

he got the linval and alton ellis

winston jarrett: a compilation called the rite time story has some great material on it.

linval thompson: b&f like fish says, plus phoenix dub, cant stop us now (compilation of his productions), rockers from channel one on trojan is ok

israel vibration: same song on pressure sounds or ras?, unconquered people and strength of my life plus their dub versions, ras portraits for a good sampler for cheap.

those would be my picks, hope that helps

one love
jah bill
April 22, 2004 04:06PM
Thanks, Im going to buy most of those when I make me moneys

Happy Trails
April 22, 2004 04:40PM
bless up!

for Gentleman, Journey To Jah - and I jus got sum a dem traks from his new Live cd (2 cd's) it has sum rilly nice live stuff...
jb welda
April 22, 2004 06:48PM
and how could i forget:

burning spear: hail HIM and living dub vols 1 & 2 (unfortunately the original mixes are not available even from spear but what is available is reasonably great)

one love
jah bill
April 22, 2004 06:53PM
-hope+ you have your credit card handy you have much catching to do.+ p.s. darz no end to a good ting. living dub!
April 22, 2004 09:51PM
I think I mentioned this book on another post, but it is worth mentioning twice.

check the rough guide to reggae. It mentions most of the artists on this thread along with recommendations for collectors and whether they are available on cd and/or vinyl.

Michael
Pale Ryder
April 22, 2004 10:03PM
Burning Spear--Man From the Hills (Mango)
Don Carlos Vs. Earl Cunningham--Prison Oval Clash (has some nice charlie chaplin guest appearances too...
April 23, 2004 12:48AM
Hey JB:
"burning spear: hail HIM and living dub vols 1 & 2 (unfortunately the original mixes are not available even from spear but what is available is reasonably great)"

Just to give you a heads up, Volume 2 is being re-released in a few days. Check out:

[www.amazon.com]

Volume 1 was re-issued last year, but apparently they're out already, but maybe they'll replicate some more to coincide with the Vol. 2 release. You can check at:

[www.amazon.com]

I love dub - and either version of these albums is fantastic. I think a lot of it is just what you're used to... I mean I have no idea how many versions of The Congos' "Fisherman" or "Congoman" I've heard over the years - but they're all worthy of listening to. Do watchout for Bob Marley dub albums - all the easily available ones are horrible remixes that don't do any justice to the originals. I really wish Tuff Gong would release some of the real stuff... it IS out there. Or better yet - let Stephen do a few dub versions of his dad's music - the "Chant Down Babylon" CD was great!
April 23, 2004 07:59AM
no one mentions Fermin Murguruza, gotta check him out!
jb welda
April 23, 2004 04:07PM
burning spear himself has reissued living dub vols 1 & 2 and i think they are always available from him but amazon may just now be getting them in. unfortunately he used basically the heartbeat remix for his copies, adding and dropping a couple tracks. i dont have the details handy but as you say, any version of these releases are well worthwhile, its just that the original mixes were spectacular though a bit down on the sound quality. the newer issues make up for the sound quality but one of them has a bit more razzamatazz (for lack of a better word) thrown in. one is a dub version of the album "social living" and the other a version of the album "hail HIM"...i forget which had the most remixing from the original release. i would assume spear will have these for sale at the show, he had them with him on his recent tour. check the record booth at the top of the hill come festival weekend.

bob marley dub versions are pretty well available on the trader circuit. some very nice mixes by dennis thompson. these will probably end up being released officially one of these days, but bob marley himself is on record as saying he wasnt much of a fan of dub music, thats why there is so little of his stuff in authentic dubwise fashion. there are some dub versions spread around on the b side of singles, and some on that box set, plus his early upsetter stuff is mostly available as (more instrumental than) dub versions on trojan label and more recently on JAD i think. that bill laswell remix stuff leaves me cold but some think its great stuff...the JAD "remixes" though are pure junk if you ask me.

one love
jah bill
flip
April 23, 2004 04:37PM
I love the album Soul Revolution 1 and 2....One entire album of Scratch produced tracks with a companion dub album....the dub is more instrumental than anything...still like it
Fish
April 23, 2004 06:47PM
Almost forgot - Burning Spear's "Social Living" is a severly heavy album. Definately check it out. Same goes for the "Spear Burning" comp on Pressure Sounds that JB mentioned. Linval's Phoenix Dub is a great dub album, but it obviously doesn't offer much in the way of Linval's vocal performances . . .

JB, I'm still waiting to take some flak for reccommending a Wackie's album ;-)
April 23, 2004 09:05PM
Razzia, You are correct, everyone has got to check out Fermin he is Not hardcore Reggae but World.
Anyone that is a threat to their Goverment and a leader in music in Spain is worth a listen and to see
He is only playing three cities in the USA.
One Love
Africamix Al

jb welda
April 23, 2004 09:27PM
i didnt notice you recommending a wackies album fish, and even if i did i wouldnt have commented on it...if its your suggestion then its your suggestion. if you like it then others probably would like it.

one love
jah bill
April 23, 2004 09:46PM
i* tink u guyz may b confussing ms d. by now. more dub! itez*
Fish
April 24, 2004 12:40AM
Just poking fun at you, JB . . . the Horace Andy "Dancehall Style" is on Wackies, and although the title doesn't describe it very well, I think it has some heavy-duty, hypnotic roots grooves on it . . .
April 24, 2004 01:34AM
No one has mentioned any Israel Vibration - check out "IV" and "On The Rock". both very solid albums (these guys are a lot like Burning Spear when it comes to albums - there really isn't any bad ones...). Also - I haven't heard too much of Don Carlos' solo stuff, but Black Uhuru's "Mystical Truth" is essential and Don sings on nearly evey cut...

By the way - Uhuru's newer stuff is really good (in my opinion), I tink Mr. Bees is a great replacement for the Uhuru sound - but I'd really like to see a release with more Duckie vocals! He always sneaks 1 or 2 in there, but often they are the best songs - very rootical. Duck, duck we wan fi hear you..!
April 24, 2004 01:40AM
Bees went solo. will be interesting to see if him come back. he is best since reid forsure. check out "groove with me"album title by: don carlos. best solo buy here just check it & let i* kno! >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login