Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marleys, Wailers!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Posted by dcsmoker13 
Marleys, Wailers!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
April 22, 2004 05:04PM
any chance the marley brothers or the wailers will be a late addition to the lineup? please please please. a show like this would not be complete in my opinion without bob represented in a major way rahspect
Re: Marleys, Wailers!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
April 22, 2004 05:25PM
Wailers played last year, did you see it DC?
April 22, 2004 05:39PM
this is my first show
April 22, 2004 08:24PM
ghetto youth crew cost to much & in my opinion they are a great spirit to show but why not get more entertainment for same price. since they are used as a foundation to fest line upz for most part a late addition like dis does not happen very often. >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
April 22, 2004 09:05PM
blah, I don't rate them.

Bob Bob Bob always Bob, never Peter.
AJ
April 23, 2004 06:02AM
Marcia Griffiths was part of BMW.
Iri_I
April 23, 2004 08:20AM
Wailers are a novelty band and actually a waste of time to see. Big Up for Peter
jb welda
April 23, 2004 08:52AM
theres a peter tosh "celebration" segment backed by fullwood etc members of what passed for peter tosh's band at points, with donovan carless on vocals.

personally outside of some material for rolling stones records and some earlier solo and wailers stuff, mr tosh never did much for me. kind of kept shooting himself in the foot. what i rate:

bush doctor album
legalize it album
walk and dont look back 12" single
lots of stuff he put out on intel-diplo like you cant fool the youth, vampire, mark of the beast etc
brand new second hand (wailers)
maga dog in various versions (wailers)

but his later stuff, no nuclear war and on, was pretty spotty. actually now that i look at it, i think he hit more than he missed its just he started missing more toward the end of his life. and his attitude toward the rolling stones after working with them was just ridiculous.

bob is always "represented"...dont you notice that nearly every act every set does at least one "bob" song? i think it gets tedious to tell the truth, like they do it because "we" expect it.

oh well, just my thoughts on the matter.

one love
jah bill
Pale Ryder
April 23, 2004 09:05AM
Peter was justified in his attitude with the Rolling Stones, they jipped him out money! I know the greedy dog looses his bone, but ya got to share the spoils....
April 23, 2004 09:07AM
The Wailers was awsome last year!
jb welda
April 23, 2004 09:09AM
pale: bs...he claimed they owed him "millions". i would like to see the numbers on how he came to that conclusion. and then he attempted to squat keith richards place in ochi, until richards called him on it. but anyway...

one love
jah bill
jb welda
April 23, 2004 09:19AM
dont get me wrong though...i respect tosh and his music still, its just he had some strange ideas about fairness seemingly, especially in later years. he was pretty much totally estranged from marley and bunny wailers for some of those same reasons...i think he had a big problem with jealousy that held him back to a large degree. but a case could be made that he was screwed out of the wailers legacy by chris blackwell and/or bob marley and im sure he had cause to be a bit bitter over that.

one love
jah bill
Pale Ryder
April 23, 2004 09:29AM
Yeah I hear that, but the issue with ochi, How often was Keith Kichards actually in Ocho Rios, and why would he even care if Peter was crashing there? SO after touring with the Stones, it was my impression that he didn't get payed? Did he?
flip
April 23, 2004 09:30AM
"wailers are a novelty band and actually a waste of time" ..ouch that one hurt....

I have never been that impressed with the Wailers as they have been constituted the last few years...best quote i have heard on the Ghetto Youth Crew " the only ghetto they see is from the plane"

Hard for me to keep straight all the Marley kids and the projects they do. i have heard some decent stuff but for the most part i'm just not interested.....

I think the best Wailers music is the early 70's stuff with Bunny Peter and Bob. The material on the Talking Blues album released in 1991 or so is some of my favorite. The Wailers were amazing with Bunny, Peter and Bob all singing lead on different tunes and playing instruments. i think some of the Talking Blues material has Joe Higgs playing instaed of Bunny I may be wrong....but for me There is Peter, Bunny and Bob and then there is Bob Marley and the Wailers...

History maybe puts me in the minority and BMW had incredible music but with Bunny Peter and Bob they took it to a whole new level.

As for Peter....I agree with Jah Bill on his solo stuff. I just find that my favorite Wailers tunes are the one with Peter on lead vocals or just hearing his voice as part of the group...Peter has some heavy material but some misses as well.

talking about the Rolling Stones and Peter...I heard a story where Peter stayed in Kieth Richards house and when Kieth came back Peter basically told him to get lost and that it was his house...i think he had goats running around the property or something.....
strong Tosh tunes...Arise Blackman, you can't fool me again....
flip
April 23, 2004 09:33AM
seemed to me that the woman in Peter's life Pauline Morris or something had him a little screwed up....she has a song on a Tosh box set that is awful...i seem to remember her keeping him isolated......
April 23, 2004 09:38AM
not a big tosh fan either. he has a few big tunes, but the whole obyeah mysitc man persona just made me think he was hep'd up on goofballs.

Post Edited (04-23-04 09:40)
Pale Ryder
April 23, 2004 09:39AM
what's a goofball?
April 23, 2004 09:51AM
its a generic term for whatever they are using to make them act like that.
Pale Ryder
April 23, 2004 09:53AM
So you think he might have been on something other than ganja?
jb welda
April 23, 2004 09:56AM
a) pauline morris(on) was lee perrys wife/gf, not toshs...i forget the name of his lady, but she was a strange duck, kind of an obeah woman if the rumours are correct.

b) the thing with keiths place in ochi was that he let tosh stay there because as you say, he was only there sporatically. but evidently when he wanted to come there he called up tosh and told him that he was coming so please vacate. toshs reply was "gwan man i own this place and ill shoot ya", to which keith supposedly replied "well you better load that gun and learn how to shoot it because im going to be there tomorrow morning and i know how to use my gun". so next morning when he showed up the place was trashed and tosh was gone.

now mind, i dont know any of these people and they didnt consult me on any of this but thats the story that was published in at least one place (probably all keith richards side of it though).

as for whether tosh got paid after touring with the stones, again they didnt consult me so i cant say as i know. but jagger is known as a tightwad so its possible they "forgot" to pay tosh but you know a lot more goes into it...they put out two records and lots of singles that may or may not have paid back advances etc so its a tangled web. its also equally possible that they did pay him and he just doesnt admit it. on the other hand, how much publicity and how much world wide fame did he gain from being associated with the stones? i would say a lot, i would even say its why hes as famous as he is.

then theres the whole issue of tosh being afraid of "gay germs" from jagger (who strikes me as hardly "gay" despite the role he might play from time to time) and why he wouldnt even shake jaggers hand on saturday night live when jagger came out to sing walk and dont look back with him. so...some funny stuff all around.

one love
jah bill
April 23, 2004 10:04AM
pale ryder, i think it is possible. have you seen interviews where he is talking about the evil spirits that are out to get him... very strange and irrational stuff as i would say.
Pale Ryder
April 23, 2004 10:13AM
As I would say, lol, I like that one. Yeah I've seen stuff like that, I just wanted to hear JB's point of view since you guys were obviously listening to reggae in the 80's, I wasnt so I missed a lot that was going on in those days....I just wish that theses guys that claim to live so clean would actually practise what they preach. That seems to be a dwindling quality theses days.........
April 23, 2004 10:19AM
i started listneing to reggae in '96. before that, i listened to the pixies.
flip
April 23, 2004 10:21AM
Marlene Brown was Peter's wife...Pauline Morris does have a tune on the tosh box set that is pure garbage.....so is she Scratch's wife.
April 23, 2004 11:47AM
how can you expect the rolling stones who are known hard drug users to have a lasting relationship with a militant rasta mon. to i* it was a sad end of the story before it was even done. peter who was trailing bob & not so happy about it needed a large promo step up. well take one of the biggest rock n' roll bands in history & jump the band wagon & presto. who can blame him really ya kno. if a band today like phish who i* personaly cant stand offered to take iNi on a tour for open shotz & record dealz. i* would consider it for the pozitive reasonz with no doubt but would expect some sort of runningz due to the fact iNi dont really support dis kind of rock smut. but anywayz will look forward to fully fullwood dis year forsure. much upliftment wil be dar for the healling from dis thread >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
April 23, 2004 11:50AM
phish, rock smut? hahahahah!!!

ya dun know.
April 23, 2004 12:37PM
Interesting you brought up the drug thing, b'n'c. It's fairly well-known Bob dabbled in coke as part of his party lifestyle, among other things. Peter even called him out on it more than once. Peter carried guns and yeah, was a little crazy, so I guess a man is just a man
April 23, 2004 02:04PM
1)hey cheese mon ive seen dem jamm more timez than i* can count. @least i* gave dem a chance before i* layed i* judgement to rest. the scene iz pure folly with a handful of concious strugglerz. peace in* 2)hey chimino datz interesting how you coated i* statement when ive heard from more than one instance that it was the other way around with rumorz on peterz head. but anywayz i* could care less because both worx are seen & really holdz nah bar in dis day & crucial age. p.s. gunz are not the problem it the people dat want to use/sell dem just like drugz, ect.. peace in*
April 23, 2004 02:15PM
the crowds they draw may be folly, but to me the music is not "rock smut"
not that I like what they play. I like bass culture.
jb welda
April 23, 2004 02:25PM
it is also pretty well known that peter toshs murder wasnt exactly as one sided as it has been portrayed. i think in the end he had little firm ground to stand on criticizing his brother bob for what he did or didnt do, and i think that caught up with him. but its all conjecture at this point and its sad it had to come to what it did.

one love
jah bill
April 23, 2004 02:26PM
there all well schooled musicanz who post riddlez for the mess up crowd instead of really grounding any good culture. i* admit dey have talent in theory department as long as dey dont touch reggae(very bad bob coverz dey do)but a man wearing a girlz dress jumping around like a tweek on stage does not fall into bass culture by i* standerdz unless your funky & dont recieve morality to well. in i*-i* more of sensless poetry even compared to robert hunterz lyricz by far. maybe dar iz some more maddness around that can surpass phish easy on smut level. but never the less dey still uncovered smut all the way to the cd exchange shop. >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
April 23, 2004 02:47PM
yo jahmeek - your use of the word "smut" is rather harsh. so you don't like their music. so you don't like their lyrics. so you don't like boys in girls dresses (do they have boys dresses in arizona??). no reason to use such an inflammatory word as "smut". and by the way - you should actually read the posts you are responding to - bun n cheeze said he liked bass culture, not that phish was bass culture. no more coffee for you today.
April 23, 2004 02:52PM
the analyst iz back!!!!!!! yo'wacked on dat coffee ting. just goes to show wha U'blow! mo'fyah fool. -RASpects+
April 23, 2004 03:05PM
I gotta give credit where it is due. Although I don't agree with everything you say Jahmeek, I respect the fact that you have your opinions and stand firm. I know you don't need me to tell you not to pay attention to the haters(the don't insult me police), but don't. "Woop! Woop! That's the sound of tha police!Woop! Woop! That's the sound of the beast!" - KRS One........and to the haters don't hate congratulate!

fourtwentyplenty

P.S. Jahmeek that was me in the midnite roots group who asked if you were following me around.
April 23, 2004 03:13PM
-i* kno it was u i*dren+ just dont seh hate now because i* almost got i* head chopped off here way backz already on dis board for the use of dat term. but i'll be a sore loser to think i* must keep i* mouth shut about boyz in girlz dress's -RASpect+ JAH never fail i* communication >forward^.
April 23, 2004 03:23PM
Well, the current Wailers Band line-up includes the mighty VIN GORDON,
so any musical set w/ him is worth checking.
April 23, 2004 03:27PM
_wailerz are kool for i* because i* never got to c bob in action plus family man alwayz settz the vibe up rite nah the new memberz for iNi. just would dey would play some of their originalz live aswell because it would mek a nice mixx & add alot if dem want to stay as headliner material. Bless*
April 23, 2004 04:32PM
talkin 'bout you jahmeek - and your poor choices of words. also - lighten up a bit. the coffee thing is a joke. and furthermore - are there boy dresses in arizone?? yo 420plenty - i too don't agree with everything jahmeek says just as i am sure he does not agree with what i say but yet my point was his choice of words when he slams something. and also 420plenty - just because it is in reggae patois doesn't make it right.
April 23, 2004 04:49PM
Talk about lighten up! How do you get an honest opinion out of anyone if you try to regulate what they say? It's obvious Jahmeek has an issue with homosexuality or expressions of such. I don't agree with him in that area of discussion, but he shows conviction. One man's joke can be another's insult.

I didn't know there was such a thing as reggae patois. I've heard of Jamaican patois. Is reggae patois some kind of sub-Jamaican patois that is only used in reggae circles? I don't really care for the patois in typed form anyways.
jjlab3
April 23, 2004 04:56PM
Easy everybody. I don't know who screwed who and who is righteous but I liked the show the Wailers put on at SNWMF last year. I also like some Peter Tosh discs although he is not my favorite.
April 23, 2004 04:58PM
Yeah sorry jj. Wasn't it me that got all upset about people deviating from the topic? What a moron I am! Back to chalice!!!!!!
April 23, 2004 04:59PM
my bad. jamaican patois is what i meant. you can express an honest opinion without using extreme words. words are all we have here on this board and lord knows alot of mine have been misinterpreted because you can't see my silly smile as i type them. again my bad. just because one has convictions doesn't mean what is said should be accepted. call phish's music dumb or inconsequential or life-altering, don't call it rock smut.
jjlab3
April 23, 2004 05:06PM
Yes I. I am starting to get really excited for the show and don't want the negatives to bog this board down. It may be cheesy and not cool to some of the super knowledgeable reggae folks on this board, but one of my favorite memories of last year's SNWMF was of the Wailers.

I had just gotten of my shift and grabbed a beer and headed for the main stage. I went back stage with a friend who was interviewing Yami Bolo right as the Wailers came on. I had a great view from back stage and when they played "Waiting in Vain" I just really started feeling the positive groove which got me out of work mode and feelling irie for the rest of the night.
jb welda
April 23, 2004 05:15PM
i actually thought the wailers put in a fine set last year and all the kids (i mean kids, eg: < 12 years old) up in the front row showed they reach tomorrows audience so respect for that. i also thought that gary pine guy did a decent job on the marley thing, much better than the overt marley clone they used to have who was basically a bad elvis impersonation sort of deal. but like others have said:

1) with vin gordon, fams and some of the other vets in the group, how can it be really bad?

2) its too bad they concentrate on bob material to the exclusion of all else because actually theyve had some decent non-bob stuff and fams especially has done some great stuff away from the marley thing.

one love
jah bill
April 23, 2004 06:19PM
-yo'dirtweed+ whatever mon dis is the cyber world & itz not like phish have anything to do with the reggae community. also your dress statment iz kind of funny but just watch wha u say about scotty he mite just beam u up. about the patois ting. well when you live, eat & sleep with jah muzak all the influence growz strong around iNi through time. letz just seh that when i* chatt with i* jamaican/jamerican i*dren i* can really overstand what iz being said. unlike many listionerz. this iz important because many people dont care about in full. also JA is not the only place west indie lingo a gwan seen. the time is NOW & iNi live across four cornerz of earth & give nuff thanx for the maroonz, shanti, 12tribes, bingie orthadox, independent & so on. >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
April 23, 2004 07:02PM
OK - Pauline Morris was Perry's wife - but I don't think she is the same Pauline Morris as the one on the Tosh boxed set (I could be wrong) who is Tosh's cousin. I personally LOVE Peter Tosh - he is the Wailer I connect the most with (no morning is complete without cranking some Tosh and hittin the chalice). I think he was the strongest musician in the Wailers, and was a regular session player in the day. He was a bit bi-polar with his moods and had a way of pushing folks around him away with his rants (Lee Perry was also very good at ranting). My understanding is that the Stones simply didn't support Word Sound and Power for touring after the first tour. Typical of many record companies/producers, but with Tosh's violatile temper...

Also - the Wailers are great in my opinion (I've seen them perform many times - some better than others), but I agree with JB that they should perform more varied material...
April 23, 2004 07:12PM
hey JB stole i* line i*dren -RASpect+
Stevo
April 24, 2004 01:47AM
Cobra Style
April 24, 2004 10:16AM
-i* kno dat wailerz chune+
tc
April 24, 2004 06:05PM
vin gordon is no longer with any one and is trying to get a verson of soul vendors back together, as of a couple weeks ago anyway.
pat
April 24, 2004 11:03PM
I too believe that the woman on the tosh box set is peters cousin, which, if is the case, it would not be too feasible she is the same woman married to lee perry, considering the differnce in age. Peter's cousin was even younger than him.
As far as his music, it has always been a big inspiration for me. Last night I heard some acoustic "get up stan up" I was really impressed, with his voice and guitar skills. I'd say ptosh is an incredible song writer/activist/performer, not 2 compare him with bob... They both had their respective missions in life. As the saying goes, music is a mission, not a competition.
As for the wailers, last time I saw them I had a great time.. Yea, it wasn't like bob marley himself.... But to witness musicians like ( if I remember correctly) family man, junior, and wya on organs blew my mind. These are the same spirits that helped create the music that made reggae such a inspiration in my life....
This post has been very interesting to me... From tosh to wailers to phish... I heard that fishman drummer for phish, his biggest influence on drums was carly... that's cool, and I respect phish for the original music and the fact that they are very talented....
Give thanx !
pat
April 25, 2004 11:57AM
i* only used phish as an example. i* thought here it would pass a little more easy without stirring anyonez closet. i* guess again. have to pick lower on the food chain next time. lion*dub
pat
April 25, 2004 11:32PM
Stirring closets, food chains and lion dub. Now it all makes sense. smiling smiley
April 25, 2004 11:34PM
-IRIE+
April 26, 2004 06:26AM
I know I'm going to get in trouble for this, but Phish and Lou Reed were bad Jokes i never got.......
No disrespect to Fans of either, I just don't get it.

Michael
April 26, 2004 09:09AM
Just saw Andrew Tosh a couple of nights ago and He Rocked!!! Was a great , roots show. He did a lot of him Daddys songs and looked and sounded so much like him. Would be nice if he shows up at SNWMF for the Tosh celebration!
April 26, 2004 12:11PM
-it waz+ i* first straight up prediction after tosh celebration addition. visit fullyfullwood thread. now since he is now living in cali area. im pretty sure he will be dar when he getz wha he wantz. maybe all dis message board hype could help him get the deal. i* kno were inneed of some other artists more like in dancehall area but @ least dis addition iz with in reason & wont break piggy to much. >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
Iri_I
April 26, 2004 02:33PM
Is Dar a plaze where I can learn to speak rasta like jahmeek? I* am imprezzed...lol
April 26, 2004 02:41PM
$ure you can buy anything but tru luv these dayz! but dis iz from i* heart. so only from tru experience should u ever rize up. maybe not direction for u but the i* iz no stranger here either so gwan seen. JAH Rasta Far i*
April 28, 2004 01:52PM
(Jah) (Rasta) (Far) (I)
wow, now that its spelled out infront of me- it expanded my thoughts of the meaning of such.
Intersestingly so, Whatda you know

Happy Trails
jb welda
April 28, 2004 03:00PM
ras tafari was haile selassie I's given name. actually i believe "ras" means "prince" in amheric. "tafari" is the family name.

haile selassie is the title he took as a name upon his ascention to the throne of ethiopia.

a "rastafarian" is someone who, essentially, worships ras tafari, aka haile selassie.

reggae <> rastafari though rastafarians essentially adopted reggae music as their own at one point. but more orthodox rastafarians would not be corrupted by commercial "music" and would more likely be beating drums in the hills far away from babylon and the music industry.

hope that helps pkw...

one love
jah bill
April 28, 2004 03:05PM
Actually Makonnen is his family name, Tafari was his given first name.
Pale Ryder
April 28, 2004 03:08PM
which means one who is feared.......
jb welda
April 28, 2004 03:09PM
something like that. the makkonnen part slipped my mind while writing my post. im sure im sketchy on other details as well

one love
jah bill
pat
April 29, 2004 08:55AM
he was born tafari makonnen, to father ras makonnen
ras=head(both physical and metaphorical) , tafari=creator
haile selassie (his crowned name) = power of the trinity
April 29, 2004 09:07AM
-from the root of king david himself+ the 7th seal has been broken' beleive no lie about dat! JAH*
Pale Ryder
April 29, 2004 09:39AM
there is that echo again
April 29, 2004 11:34AM
i* luv it when it dubz like dis! >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
April 29, 2004 01:27PM
Thank you verymuch JB,
I Know only bits and pieces of Rastafarian history and Reggea history,
id sure like that class ForwardZion mentiond. hmm..
Intelect is everything isnt it.

Happy Trails
April 29, 2004 01:32PM
some Intelectialz claim to kno someting about every subject. JAH*
April 29, 2004 01:51PM
Yes, Imagination is more important than Knowledge.
Some let Knowledge take control of thier imaginations

Happy Trails
April 29, 2004 01:54PM
az long az hollywood keepz burning & the i* keepz learning. JAH*
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login