Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bush Chemists

Posted by fourtwentyplenty 
Bush Chemists
April 23, 2004 10:09PM
I read in another post that they would like to play at Sierra. Well if a group is actively saying they want to come, by all means get them here. You don't see groups trying to play shows all the time these days. Usually you have to get down on your knees and...............you get my meaning.

fourtwentyplenty
jb welda
Re: Bush Chemists
April 23, 2004 10:17PM
somehow i dont think youre looking at the big picture.

one love
jah bill
April 23, 2004 10:23PM
never have i* known dis sound to ever even want to play iNi bamba scene. but while your @ it try to get any mazzive uk dub sound here to mash it up! sweep up dis dancehall bloodclot dat iNi endure here inna babywrong U.S.A. event table*
April 23, 2004 10:30PM
-dont forget to tell dem to bring dar own soundsystem. dont do dat to shaka again please*
solid rock
Re:
April 23, 2004 10:30PM

no thanks.

i like to have a dance in the dancehall. i don't need some UK steppers blaring at me.

> You don't see groups trying to play shows all the time these days.

what?
April 23, 2004 10:34PM
Please explain the big picture teacha. You're my idol Jah Bill! I mean that in a joking, but respectful way. Sis Adaria tells me you're a real cool guy. You should be one of the moderators of this board if there were such a post. I can definitely see the gap between a reggae fan that knows his music versus a true afficionado who immerses himself in the knowledge of reggae culture. Some of you guys are digging up stuff I've never heard of before. It's enlightening and at times quite depressing. We hold these artists up so high, yet all these stories of their disrespect to their own words is disheartening.

fourtwentyplenty
Pale Ryder
April 23, 2004 10:36PM
Welcome to the real world......but really its all heresay....
April 23, 2004 10:36PM
Trying as in actively pursuing a gig instead of looking for the payday first.
Stevo
April 23, 2004 10:55PM
I wish I could get some UK steppers blairing in my ear @SNWMF. If your talking about the digital steppers style, specify, cause nuf vintage stepping come out of the UK, and if you're dissing that stuff, you got to be kidding. But the digi style is hard too.
April 23, 2004 10:58PM
no weak hearts could ever stand dis BASS ! dub it*
jb welda
April 24, 2004 12:27AM
ok heres some big picture:

everyone would like to hear shaka on his full set. have any idea what that would cost to bring to california? hint: more than anyones going to pay to do it, especially because he will probably need it the night before and the night after and that means air express for tons (literally) of equipment.

bush chemists want to come play. thats fine. are they worth paying airfare for, paying money for their performance, putting them up in hotels etc, especially this late in the game and with hardly anywhere on the bill to put them (not to mention the equipment issue covered above)? i think that question answers itself.

im not trying to be a know it all but some of these things have up and slapped me in the face with the reality stick if you know what i mean and i see some of the questions posted here as something i once thought too...until i got a bit more involved in the reality of what needs to be done to put on a successful show. hope you know what i mean. basically the promotors do what they can to produce a well rounded quality show...theres always room for suggestions but reality has to be considered too.

and personally if we were going to drag a uk sound system over here i would want it to be either shaka again or blood and fire with dennis alcapone and ranking joe or something along those lines. but thats just me...meanwhile i think we are all going to be getting a show of a lifetime here (like pretty much every year) even if its not exactly how each of us would have it in our dreams.

one love
jah bill
April 24, 2004 12:43AM
-show of a lifetime on stage YES+<>-in the dancehall NO+ i* agree with over priced cali show but in reality i* would rather do without shaka if his sound is going to be like central park or serria show last time. a mon on these heights should be able to give the level expected. if not in performance since everyone has their dayz, it must be kept up in the soundsystem quality. americanz like i*self have no idea about a real rootz dance. so many tink dancehall meanz rap hall ect.. key word u used bill is "drag". thats spellz it clear. because dem dub solJAH'z over dar need no american hype dat many claim for fame. dem crowded sessionz across the atlantic do great without iNi trying to stick a noodle in it. in mean time i* will keep searching for the rite dub in far away places because U.S.A. is sooo* weak in the dub world. rest i* case. peace & luv*
April 24, 2004 04:31AM
Thanks Jah Bill. I see what you're saying. I was just throwin' it out there at a low level. Wasn't really thinking about the logistics beyond the fact thet they wanted to come.

I agree with you about the show of a lifetime. There's a lot of fresh blood on this bill for me.

fourtwentyplenty
April 25, 2004 02:53PM
What an interesting topic, bredrins & sistrins...

Seems like its so hard to bring forth roots & culture - dubwise in the UK way over the US... even as a underground cultural set. Sad and strange...
Some of the founders of the UK scene, Jah Shaka first & before all, have 3 decades or more of works like Twinkle Brothers as well. Yeah Twinkle is from Jamaica originally but their carreer is much more UK & European when we look on it globaly. Why I say this ?

Because there seem to be a lack of "legitimacy" amongst the Reggae masses about the "relevance" of promoting Dub Music & Real Sound System performances. Its an original & so constantly revitalizing type of sound, like Dancehall some might argue, but being unfashioned its much more spontanous... Creativity from the conception to the remixing & mastering in terms of sound techniques... What do you want more...

And you can have so many various sets of Sound Systems like Iration Steppas for the futuristic dub experience, Aba Shanti for the mystical hardcore dub journey, Channel ONe the fondation Roots & Culture sound from London (3 decades in business)... but you can look towards Disciples with Russ D & Jonah Dan on mic, selecting maybe the most versatile & original set of Roots & Dub music with their top a top productions from the Disciples Studio.

Looking towards Europe you have the mighty kings of Amsterdam like King Shiloh and their wicked singjay Lyrical Benjie... Cultural Warriors (Geneva) and the so talented Singjays like Murryman (Birmingham) or/and Afrikan Simba (London)...

I forgot so many names but look towards sounds like Jah Tubbys feat. Dixie Peach & Errol Bellot, Zion Gate Hi-Fi (Nantes - France) feat. Ras McBean... etc...

This having started with Bush Chemist with their crucial live set....

It can be part of the set without doubts, but the costs are there...

So anyway a BIG SHOUT to all people involved in the SNWMFestival... Blessed love !

April 25, 2004 06:46PM
i'll take anyone of these groupz u mentioned. dis iz wha Selecta7souN system(R.A.W.#1792) iz all about! in fact it iz easy to get someone to take a plane over with dub box to share. but dont cheap iNi americanz out of the real ting. soundsystem or nothing. dar iz no sub dat could ever fill dis void. -nuff RASpects+
Stevo
April 26, 2004 08:45AM
The subs are here, just that the owners don't share the dub vision. And no matter what kinda subs they are, they gonna get blown for replacement. A lot of soundman tricks and some special equipment not being forwarded here either. Though I find it hard to believe that the Cali massive can't supply the bulkiest and heaviest elements of a system, like woofers. And are there no like minded bass bin smiths around here? US dancehall fever don't want to support a cause that don't sell. And of course di headen dem cannot stand the flame. It's the lack of roots and dub vision, and determination. This will create more willing supporters. We have to run it, to spread it. If those things were in place we wouldn't have to fly idren from over the pond. We would have our own champion to lead the trod.

What about Ras Kush, Black Redemption? Or how about Unity Sounds? Aba Shaka?New York and Atlanta? Is there really any excuse not to explore this roots&dub element more here in California? As heavy a vibe as it carries when done right, I don't think so.

Big Respect for the insight, and position Dub Soljah. You sound like you share the vision as well Jahmeek. If I find myself in AZ I hope there's a session running. Sometimes I wish I lived Europe.........my DUB future wouldn't look so bleek!

Big up a dub that cannot be voiced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STEPPING PRESSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Irie Ites-
Stevo
Stevo
April 26, 2004 08:49AM
African Simba is wicked. Check for "Young Gun", Kunte Kinte stylee, from Blakamix.
Any other suggestions from this artist?
Stevo
April 26, 2004 08:53AM
Oh yeah, Lyrical Benjie.... a guy make it sound so easy. It won't be long before he is a legend.
April 26, 2004 07:24PM
get Selecta7souN systems first two demo cd'z of 2004(from late 2003 sessionz) from [www.jahmeekproductions.com] they feature Lyrical Benjie inna fine dub style with King Shiloh & many more. just e-mail group@jahmeekproductions.com with name & address to get your free promo package including cd'z. nuff dub version here slammed down on vinyl session mixxed by: R.A.W.#1792. also newz fourth demo for dis year has been dropped! itz a crucial heavyweight dub souN mon! catch A fyah. -RASpects+
April 26, 2004 09:59PM
Greetings again...

nice reasoning... and yeah you definitely hav' to look towards the N-Y scene with Idrens like Ras Kush & Unity Sound... they are producing nice sets of music. I am very enthusiastic about Unity sound productions and especially their up and coming Jah Mason tune "Fly away" ... a boom tune !

Just one precision... If I am right, it is not Afrikan Simba but Anthony Simba on the Blackamix label, but Afrikan Simba gots nuff nice tunes ina more militant voicing style that his homonym...

Lyrikal Benjie will have very soon an upcoming album on King Shiloh's music with Dub Creator + Disciples riddims. Meditative songs like the terrible "Are you leaving in the City or is the City leaving in you..."

Blessed love
April 26, 2004 10:19PM
-first three cd'z are packed full of unity sound dub mixx aswell as many otherz+ nice upz matt owen from the NY scene aswell as ruben from UK scene. nuff mention. >forward^ local system vibez -RASpects+ R.A.W.#1792
Stevo
April 27, 2004 09:51PM
My mistake, starin' @ the 10" and I still wrote African Simba.

Have you heard Shiloh run that chune they call "World of Confusion"? With Lyrical pon the mic? Can't wait for his new album.

Dub Soljah, are you in the USA? Doesn't sound like it. If not, are you travelling that far for the fest?

Irie Ites-
Stevo
April 27, 2004 10:05PM
Dub Soljah is from Switzerland, Geneva to be specific.
April 27, 2004 10:07PM
selassie knoz geneva pretty well. Bless*
April 28, 2004 10:50AM
Yes bredrins & sistrins too...

I am from Geneva yeah... Switch the land (as one of my idrin loves to call it) bekkaa we come fi Switch that land... but member' Selassie I knows all the places around Jah Creation...

And no sadly I am not coming to your festival, because too far & expensive for me. But, I would love to... mostly to see Dezarie, Ikhaba & Midnite which I am still waiting to see in Europe. And for the journey, ambiance as well...
For the rest we are pretty loaded in shows, concerts & sessions even this summer... no worries. But the day when your VI Cruzian artists reach european soil is still to be pursued... and achieved one day.

I come often on your board because I am working as independant journalist-webmaster and the goal of UPfront is to build a worldwide network around Roots & Dub Music ina the sound system art & culture. When we say Roots we mean from the foundations artists up to new + upcoming productions but ina militant & heavy vibes... no sunshiny mellow style. Rockers, Steppers & Heavy one drop music like what you can hear on our WebRadio Station.

And in the US it seems like there is a ground for developping that but most of the job is to be done. So by hanging around here and other forums I try to get contacts, infos & links to expand our network. We had recently good contact with Matt from N-Y, Ras Kush and we love the Glen Brown + Meditations labels from years & years. Big shout to Manila Jeepney up an' coming label as wel...

Promotion & connection in a worlwide perspective is required for authentic projects that no big company will promote without "spoiling" it. In somehow its time we take on our task to produce music & sound systems.... yeah but also the promotion & media works as well if we want to forward on. Radios, Magazines, Websites, etc... We can't go on and on and expect "general medias" to offer what we and the massives really need. Music with a message...

So blessed love to all US based Roots & Dub lovers... all those who work for a better musical future... Respect itinually !

April 28, 2004 07:50PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Downbeat the Ruler based out of NY?

One love
eric v
April 28, 2004 09:57PM
-YES+ based out of NY but many more connectionz in JA compared to other american soundsystemz. -RASpects+
Stevo
April 28, 2004 11:42PM
Eric V-
Takes more than being from NY to fit the profile of a roots&dub sound.
Ites-
Stevo
April 29, 2004 03:46PM
That well may be true Stevo. But the question is why aren't there any good sound systems based out of the US?

I am not sure what the "profile" of a sound has to do with anything.

One love
eric v
Stevo
May 01, 2004 07:25AM
This post has become mainly about the profiles of sounds. I thought that's what you were saying like..... Downbeat the Ruler is a Roots&Dub sound from the US.
Maybe you weren't following the progression.
Ites-
Stevo
Stevo
May 01, 2004 07:46AM
There are good soundsystems based out of the US, fitting many different profiles(even though certain profiles are not well represented). But not many well known at all, unless rooted elsewhere, like Downbeat..... even if they are residing in the US.
What I don't get, is we got people wondering who Jah Warrior Shelter Hi Fi is. They don't even know their own champion sound when they hear the name. Any one disagree about JWS crown, I'm sure they're willing to settle confusion.smiling smiley
Irie Ites-
Stevo
Stevo
May 01, 2004 07:51AM
Bay Area style that is.
May 01, 2004 07:56AM
settle against who? west coast sound iz weak! no wonder dey moved from NY to bay area. dey take over whole scene dat easy. come on dat just to easy mon. besides a few other key soundz dey really have it easy ya kno. did i* seh easy e-nuff. -nuff RASpects to the shelter hi-fi seen. Jahmeek will be there friday nite for a sample. i'll even bring some of i* souN cd'z to share on the pozitive vibe! -nuff RASpects+
Stevo
May 01, 2004 07:53PM
West coast sound is weak? I suppose that's why you're dragging your sorry a** out here to swing on our set. When I say JWS willing to settle it I clearly stated that as a BAY AREA thing. Who cares if they came from NY. Who cares why. Where did you come from to take over the AZ scene, or try. Like it can touch what a gwaan here.
Stevo
May 01, 2004 08:42PM
CHO!
May 02, 2004 04:48AM
nah really dragging anyting. more like a family vacation. i* used to live in north cali so i* kno area a little bit but been living here since 97'. so anywayz stevo anyone could take over the AZ. scene, now dat u mention. just try to find a dj here who does not play sean paul & so on. itz almost funny but i* dont clash just juggle the dub vibez zeen. so nuff RASpects to i*dren like Strong Foundation & Positive Sound Massive(Rocker-T link again) no champion iz complete without JAH*LuV. lets nah forget dat NOW*
May 03, 2004 05:56PM
bush chemists would love to play at that festival/ps were not that expensive.respect
May 03, 2004 06:12PM
bring dem! -RASpects+
May 05, 2004 05:22AM
I second that, bring on the bush chemists..!! big up dougie conscious.. 'King Davids House' w/culture freeman (especially the CD version, though the 10" is quite nice too) is one of my favorite tunes of all time.. armegeddon music.

and thanks to all above for the nice comments about the ny vibe and unity sound - did anyone catch ras kush recently on the west coast???? I do believe he was out in CA there within a couple months ago, but not sure exactly where he was...

peace
matt

[www.unitysound.com]

'Rise above dreams and loiter not - open to truth your mind
Live in Righteousness - and you, eternal bliss will find'

[www.unitysound.com]
May 05, 2004 08:27AM
Greetings once more.... Hey Matt... I try to contact you but your mailbox sends backs the mails because of it being over full ! Do you have another one ?
Bless UP !
May 05, 2004 05:58PM
Greetings dub soljah - try mattunitysound@yahoo.com OR danctil22@aol.com Thanks for linking up again!!

[www.unitysound.com]

[www.unitysound.com]
Stevo
May 06, 2004 12:05AM
Matt-
Is the cd version of King David's House same as on Dub Fire Blazing lp? All versions of that tune are total destroyers.

An overlooked tune that I can't get enough of...."Wickedness" Mungo's Hi Fi w/Brother Culture. Dubhead is an absolutely deadly label.

King David's House coulda never empty!!!!!!!!!!!

Irie-
Stevo
May 06, 2004 12:17AM
no-> itz a little bit differnt on 10'inch but not that much. itez* sorry i* wanted to step in. peace n' luv*
May 06, 2004 04:59AM
the one I love the most is the Dub Fire Blazing one.. with the "zaps" that conscious sounds uses so well... That mungo's hifi tune is a killer too. Dubhead is perhaps the best label going right now (for those in the know!) - big respects for your exceptional tastes steveo ;-) Have you heard the Iration Steppas release (maybe out 2 years ago?) on dubhead called: 'Hard Time PRessure' ?

Culture Freeman might be one of the best (roots) soundsystem DJ's out there right now... a modern day rankin joe w/the rolling tounge sometimes;-) He has a very energetic style that records well too...

Dubcreator, a number of months back, sent me this wicked King Shiloh soundsystem tune called "Lightning Bolt" - another Culture Freeman vocal - 'jah jah a go lick dem with a lightning bolt - i tell ya dis ya one ya a de final call" serious, serious tune - boy o boy... U can hear that one on Unity Radio (which will be back up in about 2 weeks). I am not sure if Shiloh Majestic is gonna release it...

peace
matt

[www.unitysound.com]

[www.unitysound.com]
Stevo
May 06, 2004 06:41AM
Matt-
Please encourage Neil and crew to release that cut.

Yes I. "Hard Time Pressure" a must. But "Locks" is the best release pon Dubhead yet in my book. With a veteran like Tena Stelin linking with Iration Steppas, you can't go wrong.............leaving a wake of shredded subs....and burning locks.......BOOM!
Ites-
Stevo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login