Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

yardie dissed again (video)

Posted by TR-808 
TR-808
yardie dissed again (video)
April 27, 2004 09:16AM

actually now that i think of it i'm not sure of he's originally a "yardie" or not...

but just like when No Doubt made a tune styled after JA music that featured a JA artist, the video runs on MTV and VH1 without any credit to the yardie.

No Doubt's tune was "Underneath it All", and won last year's "Song of the Year" Grammy. Lady Saw was dissed time and again when the video ran incessantly, each time crediting only "No Doubt". no credit to Sly and Robbie either, but it's not common to credit players -- just vocalists.

anyway now it's the supposedly-conscious hip-hop crew Black Eyed Peas doing the same thing to Tippa Irie. the tune "Hey Mama" is very ragga-influenced and features Tippa prominently, with the 'Peas MCs following in his fashion. there is no mention of Tippa Irie whatsoever, and to most of the uninitiated viewers in America, he is an unfamiliar face that will never be associated with this "hit".

another ripoff.
Acacia
Re: yardie dissed again (video)
April 27, 2004 11:14AM
You're right, it is. I'm anti Black Eyed Peas. They have somehow gotten themselves all these endorsements and TV appearances without any real lyrical talent (imo) and not much of a fan base. Anyone who disagrees, I would love to hear your opinion. I've been comtemplating their rise to fame for a while now. I don't like their flashy style.
April 27, 2004 11:23AM
B.E.P.'z were @ ROTRocks in 99'. they did not play even one song remotley close to reggae in anyway. the highlite of the show was watching dem breakdance in ninja suitz. not even sure why they were there besides maybe they like reggae personaly. to much mix up mix up when a reggae dub artist cant get respect deserved these dayz. keep it real with jah*luv. >forward^
TR-808
April 27, 2004 11:45AM

i think that BEP did try to come real from the get, and was glad to see they did have some message in their music.

some of my friends who do work in hip-hop were using their tunes.. even had some respect for them, and maybe still do.

kind of a funny follow-up though to their breakthrough tune "Where is the Love" when they flip the script and dis someone who showed them something.

so really then, 'Peas -- where is the love?
jb welda
April 27, 2004 11:50AM
the love is in the bank, in tippa iries account.

when i hear him complaining about being "dissed" then i will pay attention.

one love
jah bill
April 27, 2004 11:54AM
sort of like when a crappy soundsystem buyz a dubplate from a famus artists(@high rate) & turnz the vibe all wrong. not dat im saying dat waz wha B.E.P'z did but i* have not cared to much for there muzak after 99'R.O.T.Rocks performance. nice up the saxon crew TIPPA!
Acacia
April 27, 2004 01:12PM
Jb, he may have been paid well, but don't you think it's the responsibility of the group to give him some name recognition? That song has pushed the Black Eyed Peas forward and if Tippa Irie is largely responsible for the sound, he should have his name right beside theirs on MTV. They did the collaboration because they respect him as an artist. To take all the credit is shameless. I'd call that a dis.
April 27, 2004 01:26PM
I think that a collaboration should be promoted as a collaboration (-"featuring Tippa Irie"winking smiley, but don't be too quick to fault the band. Most bonehead moves in the music industry are the fault of the many clots who are managers/promoters, and besides - usually the real fans will know, so he will get more recognition from it...
TR-808
April 27, 2004 01:51PM

> That song has pushed the Black Eyed Peas forward and if Tippa Irie is largely
> responsible for the sound, he should have his name right beside theirs on MTV

> Most bonehead moves in the music industry are the fault of the many clots who
> are managers/promoters

agree on both counts
April 27, 2004 05:49PM
Ehh, Tippa should be happy to be getting work these days.
TR-808
April 27, 2004 06:09PM

who isn't happy to be getting work these days?

all i'm saying is that the guy should be getting some "love" from the people who were just all over the radio (and TVs) singing/talking about it...

and if anyone really thinks having a name broadcast into millions and millions of homes isn't worth A LOT, there's a multi-billion dollar industry out there called ADVERTISING that would tend to disagree with you.
TR-808
May 27, 2004 09:46AM

to update: heard in a UK interview that Tippa Irie is happy with the 'Peas, and is just generally thankful for the additional exposure.

so i didn't need to complain for him (jb was right.. see below).

i still think it's weak to come out with "Where Is The Love" and then do what they did, but that's just my opinion. Tippa is feeling irie.

> Re: yardie dissed again (video)
> Author: jb welda (205.225.207.---)
> Date: 04-27-04 11:50

> the love is in the bank, in tippa iries account.

> when i hear him complaining about being "dissed" then i will pay attention.

> one love
> jah bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login