Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Winston Jarrett

Posted by bun n cheese 
bun n cheese
Winston Jarrett
February 02, 2004 04:40PM
is it just a coincidence that one of the Righteous Flames is playing the same venue as Alton Ellis?

I know it wont happen, but I have to ask if they will be on stage together?
jb welda
Re: Winston Jarrett
February 03, 2004 08:56AM
why is that a coincidence? i didnt know of any connection between the two, did they used to sing together (must have been back in the 60s if so)...maybe im just showing my ignorance here?

one lobe
jah bill
bun n cheese
February 03, 2004 09:05AM
I beleive Winston Jarrett was one of the Righteous Flames, as in Alton and the Flames. Here is a quick bio...

From Reggaetrain.com

"Winston was living on Fourth Street in a yard shared by Alton Ellis, who with Eddie Perkins had recorded many sides for Sir Coxsone during the earliest years of the Jamaican music business. When Eddie left for America circa 1965, Alton recruited Winston Jarrett and Eggar Gordon (Baby Gee) to form a new harmony group, Alton & The Flames. After several months of intense practice, they auditioned at Duke Reid’s studio and won the enthusiastic endorsement of Leroy ‘Cuttings’ Cole, Reid’s number one selector. They were soon recording a series of classic rock steady anthems, and went on to score an extraordinary number of chart hits with songs like ‘Cry Tough,’ ‘Dance Crasher,’ ‘The Preacher’ (a Jarrett composition), and ‘I Have Got A Date.’ After recording nearly forty tunes for Duke Reid, the group was lured away by Sir Coxsone who produced ‘I’m Still In Love’ and other hits. In 1969, Alton toured England and decided to move there. With Alton’s departure, Winston reformed the group as The Righteous Flames with harmony from Baby Gee. "
bun n cheese
February 03, 2004 09:06AM
One Lobe, indeed
February 03, 2004 09:56AM

i don't know if that would happen b-n-c... maybe if there was an original Studio 1 band in the mix like the Soul Vendors or something

i just remember seeing Mr Jarrett last time he was at SNWMF and one of the things that i remember was seeing the Twinkle Brothers and other original players like Tony Chin in the crowd, giving Winston the biggest forwards again and again... they were really having a great time
jb welda
February 03, 2004 12:31PM
yes bnc that was on porpoise. (im was eating a tuna sandwich you see).

thanks for clearing up the history vis a vis alton ellis and winston jarrett, flames vs righteous flames.

one love
jah bill
flip
February 03, 2004 01:12PM
winston jarret was excellent last time he was at SNWMF.....looking forward to the ROOTS
bun n cheese
February 03, 2004 01:20PM
right arm, jb.
bun n cheese
February 03, 2004 01:25PM
I saw Winston Jarrett play at this small little club once. Maybe 30 people there. The speakers were on the wall beside the audience, not in front of where the band was setup. There was no stage. I would like to see him on a stage with the speakers in proper orientation. He was well nice and glad someone was really excited to see him. My friend, Jah Mike busted out a grip of 7"s for him to sign. You should have seen the look on Winston's face when he looked at all those old records.

Jah Mike, you out there somewhere?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login