Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Petition to END ban against Pit Bulls in Denver!

Posted by EmpressLove 
Petition to END ban against Pit Bulls in Denver!
May 20, 2005 04:18AM
Petition to END ban against Pit Bulls in Denver

Please sign! Don't let it happen in your city next!

[www.petitiononline.com]

can some one activate this link?

Post Edited (05-19-05 21:28)

"It takes a whole village to raise a child" African Proverb
Re: Petition to END ban against Pit Bulls in Denver!
May 20, 2005 04:24AM
the link isn't complete, you need the copy & paste the whole URL...

May 20, 2005 04:27AM
ok, working on it..

May 20, 2005 04:28AM
oh my goodness. look at me
I DID IT!!!!

May 20, 2005 04:30AM
If anyone knows about petitions like this for other cities I would like to sign them too. My little girls are pits and I love them dearly.
Bless up.. pits

May 20, 2005 04:37AM
I'm not a fan of pit bulls, but will sign the petition still. Prejudice is wrong.
For the record, I (heart) Rottweilers smiling smiley

May 20, 2005 04:46AM
I am not a fan of PETS period.

we should, de whole village a we, be puttin dem efforts we spend on lovin pets, to lovin people same way, our societies would benefit massive!

da whole pet ting is a babylon ting, imho!
May 20, 2005 04:50AM
Wha ?
May 20, 2005 05:02AM
lol, double wha??

May 20, 2005 05:03AM
I used to live in Boulder. And I support you fully. Nuff pitbulls in Boulder though. People should just register them in a different city, no? Big up the fight for the pitbulls in Denver!
-Stevo
May 20, 2005 05:17AM
thanks so much empresslove for calling our attention to this , was just watching my son sleep so peacefull, so safe and secure with shayla our 4 year old pit as a pillow, she knows love

May 20, 2005 06:58AM
The I right Danny, I&I naw romp wit dog neider puss...
HIGHPRAISE
May 20, 2005 07:57AM
Oh my gosh .. ddddd aaaa hhhhh wwww aaaaa dont know wadda say .... keeps going and going .....
HIGHPRAISE
May 20, 2005 08:04AM
"Naw romp w/ dog"? Ya keep goin and goin ....
May 20, 2005 01:35PM
In one week's time in St Louis area, two seperate attacks by pits. One resulted in
man's death, other resulted in pit-bull's death(cops shot him @ point-blank range--he was trying to pull down a 12 year old & his 6'6" 290lb dad could not make him release, neccessitating the cop to drop the dog). Man who died wuz found in apartment, w/ his two dogs. Guess it all comes down to temperment you could say...but nuff people DO like to style a pit-bull as part of their life. In our rougher neighborhoods, a definite status symbol....
Mr Finnigan
May 20, 2005 01:41PM
They are a dangerous breed around children and adults not familiar to them. This is not good feature in any breed, not just the pitbull.
May 20, 2005 02:03PM
I'm a greyhound fanatic, but I'm exposed to many pits almost daily, they are for the most part friendly, playful, well tempered animals. In my experience, like any dog, it's how people shape their charactors that's the problem. They just happen to be popular with bullying, macho fools quite frequently.
Mr Finnigan
May 20, 2005 02:16PM
Hey Bufo,

Why do Greyhounds wear lipstick ?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>........in case the race goes to a photo finish !!
May 20, 2005 02:21PM
Pitulls get the press..
I bet money that in that same city other people were attacked by other dogs but none of them made the newspaper.
Also, there are many pitbulls that work with elderly and children and they do not get any press...

I agree that a non trained, neglected, provoked pitbull can be dangerous, but we are talking about people here

there is nothing wring with a gun, guns do not kill people, people kill people, same goes for pitbulls or any other type of dog

I agree that we should put more effort into loving people but humanity has made all of these dogs and cats dependant on us by destroying the natural habitats they live in a domesticating them... and letting them overpopulate themselves.. so what.. set them free..
and sometimes..
when I cant seem to communicate with hardheaded humans, my doggie girls curl up next to me and calm me down..
i overstand some people just dont like dogs and that is fine..
but if you just dont like... lets say.. Cambodians.. should they not be allowed in certain cities. no
bless up all people and all doggies..
two legged, four legged, winged and the swimmers.

May 20, 2005 02:38PM
Actually Empress, we in St Louis stand second to NO ONE in reporting
our dog-on-man AND man-on-dog attacks. Usually in fact, these items
make the front page of the daily. If someone acts out cruelly and mistreats
an animal, folks that wouldn't spit on a burning stranger make quite the
protest.

From what I can glean also from info, neither situation indicated a setting
that would show the owners creating 'bad dogs'---in the case of the man who died,
investigators think he started to have some kind of seizure(he had a history),
and somehow that inspired his two pets to jump him. Luck of the draw, I guess---altho the chances of anything like this happening w/ goldfish....

Don't get me wrong, I feel no way in this(my life-long relationships w/ dogs have been one of mutual appreciation & respect): ---guess you could say I ain't got no dog in this fight.
May 20, 2005 02:43PM
Oh Yeah, for a good dog song, check Dr. John's version of 'How Come My Dog Don't Bark When You Come Around?' on his "Goin' Back To New Orleans" set a few years back.
May 20, 2005 03:14PM
If I understand Ras Danny correctly,
it comes down to us being decended from a society who didn't own land, didn't own people, nor did we own pets.
At least that's what I got out of what ras danny was saying

Michael

May 20, 2005 03:38PM
"If you need a friend, feed any animal"
Summertime - Janes Addiction
May 20, 2005 03:52PM
my doggies are welcome guests in my home, i dont own them, but i do care for them like a child.
some people dot agree
thats fine.
bless all

pale ryder
May 20, 2005 03:58PM
"It takes a whole village to raise a pit bull" Denver Proverb
May 20, 2005 04:08PM
;-)

May 20, 2005 04:12PM
<<---guess you could say I ain't got no dog in this fight.>>
Nice one papa ray!
Also nice tune, I love Dr. John
here's one of my favorites
Daaaaaaaaaaaaag...a go nyam dog inna city...
--Culture, riding the Shank I Shek riddim

<<but if you just dont like... lets say.. Cambodians.. should they not be allowed in certain cities. no>>
Only if the dog population starts dropping precipitously...
May 20, 2005 04:21PM
i dont overstand last post stamina can you elaborate ;-)

&quot;It takes a whole village to raise a child&quot; African Proverb
May 20, 2005 04:37PM
Translation: "It's dog eat dog in the city"
May 20, 2005 04:39PM
right

May 20, 2005 04:42PM
If you can't physically control that animal then you have no business with it. (/10 of the Cat's I see rollin around with Pit's couldn't do nothin if the dog get's after someone. I DO NOT belive they are evil or mean dog's at all. It is just that when they do go bad, they go real bad. Still not in favor of a ban. Thanks Empress for the post
May 20, 2005 04:45PM
The ban takes away the right for people to ignor a potentially dangerous animal.

You can't ban idiots.
May 20, 2005 05:01PM
ok, there are many potentially dangerous animals..

and potentially dangerous humans..
just think of what the govt thinks of as potentially danergound humans...
banning young uneducated men from cities..
yeah..
;-?

May 20, 2005 05:21PM
Sure, but you don't find bears living in communities as pets.

Like I said, you can't ban idiots. But you can ban dangerous things from idiots hands.

I mean, you really so no logic in the policy?

I have had nuff run-ins with unleashed pit bulls and other breeds roaming around when I was walking my brothers lab. And you are damn right that I kicked the **** out of that dog when he tried to bite Otis.

Post Edited (05-20-05 10:29)
May 20, 2005 06:37PM
well.. personally I have come across many agressive dogs.. some pitbulls. but most of the ones i have been afriad were going to bite me were not pitbulls.
actually.
what i see if a policy that mandates dog "owner" education.. maybe i hour class..
i know that pitbulls can be dangerous, but i dont think anymore than rottweilers, shepards, chows, dobermans.. and many other dogs bred for fighting.
main point.
why just pitbulls.
actually. the only times i have actually been bit by a dog it was a little "foot ball" sized dog.

May 20, 2005 06:43PM
If a Pit Bull can pull 2,000 lbs on a dry sled than how can anyone think they can control a dog that doesn't want to be. The diefference between Potentially dangerous humans and dogs is. We need Human's around. they are sort of essential to society and culture. Where as a type of beast that has been known to attack and kill little kids in not a pre requisite to a societies happiness. I got bit in the head by a 180lb St. Bernard when I was 9. He had my whole head in his mouth. I still love dogs, I know that it was a freak thing, but a Pit Bull is like a gun. All it takes is a few people that don't know how to handle them and it is on..
Acacia
May 20, 2005 06:44PM
This is not an issue of discrimination at all. The dogs or the people who own them are not just being victimized because for some unknown reason people don't "like" pit bulls. They are a breed of dog that was cultivated for specific traits such as strength and agressiveness. That doesn't mean that every pit bull has a normally agressive demeanor but it is in their nature, just as racehorses have been bred to be skittish and take off running at the snap of a finger. In the defense of pit bulls people like to bring up the "nature vs. nurture" argument. Saying that the pit bulls that are agressive and vicious and dangerous to people have been conditioned that way by the people who own them. And that if you are just nice and gentle to your pit bull they will, in turn, be sweet and gentle dogs that would never be a danger to anyone. This isn't true, it just isn't. I have a good friend who has had her pit Oscar since he was a puppy. He's fixed. She has given him nothing but love over the years and still, 3 times he has lashed out unexpectedly, twice in unprovoked attacks on other dogs and once on a person, he bit her. And these things happened because my friend, who is pretty damn strong herself, couldn't hold him on a leash when he got out of control. She is now summoned to court to determine if her dog needs to be put down because he is a danger.

On the other side of the nature vs. nurture argument is that a whole hell of a lot of people who own pits do treat them like sh*t and slap them around to make them tough and mean. And that's why people get attacked, that's why they are considered potentially dangerous, that's why cities have bans against owning them. If everyone treated their pits with love, I think they would be much much less of a problem. But laws like this are in response to the reality of things, which is that a lot of people take these dogs and create monsters out of them.

And now for your reading pleasure is a news report of something that happened yesterday in W. Virginia...

[sfgate.com]
May 20, 2005 09:19PM
some other pitbul press

Woman Casts Pit Bulls in a New Light
David Read - Tracy Press

Kris Crawford believes that pit bulls have gotten a bad rap. She is an Operations Lieutenant for the Alameda County Sheriff Search and Rescue Squad and has trained her pit bulls to be search and rescue dogs for the unit. Crawford said that the same qualities that breeders want to cultivate in pit bulls for them to be successful in illegal dog fights -- namely courage, strength, dedication, intelligence and agility -- are invaluable in search and rescue work. "They also don't give up," Crawford said. "When you are out all night looking for a
lost 5-year old, you want a dog that doesn't quit."

Her devotion to the maligned breed is attracting some attention. The cable channel Animal Planet met her on Wednesday morning at Old River Veterinary clinic here in Tracy, to profile her for a "Pet Story", a show that documents unique relationships between pets and their owners. A former resident of Tracy, Crawford now lives in Castro Valley but still uses Old River for veterinary services.

One of Crawford's pit bull dogs, "Dakota", has been on some high-profile searches. Last year, Dakota assisted police in the search for the body of toddler Luis Sanchez, who police believe was buried on the outskirts of Tracy almost two years ago. Dakota also helped in the search for Laci Peterson, and Crawford and Dakota were also called to Texas to search for the remains of the crew members of the space shuttle Columbia after it burned up on re-entry earlier this year.

"They have an incredible desire to please their owners," Crawford said. "They will do their best at whatever their owners tell or train them to do. Unfortunately, they are the most abused breed in the world right now because a lot of owners use them for illegal purposes such as dog fighting, which is illegal in most states."

"I use only positive means of training," Crawford said. "I've never had to resort to using force when working with this breed, even those that had come from violent pasts." Crawford spends a lot of time helping those who have adopted pit bulls train them to be good
canine citizens.

heres the link to the page

May 20, 2005 09:22PM
bulls "inherently dangerous"? Are they "naturally aggressive"? If you think so, then consider the facts: In both 2002 and 2003, according to the American Temperament Test Society breed statistics, the American pit bull terrier out performed the golden retriever, a breed noted for its gentle temperament. You won't be reading THAT in the newspapers...

The correct pit bulldog, like the majority of purpose bred breeds (meaning bred for a job, not looks) is not a pet you should aquire if your goal is a casual pet for romps as the local dog park. Many pit bulls can and do behave like bassets, golden retrievers and other breeds bred specifically for generic, "pet-only" temperament traits, however it is unfair to expect EVERY pit bull - or any other member of a "purpose bred" breed - to do so. Pit bulls are tough and intelligent animals, historically bred for a willingness to test their mettle against larger and stronger animals and against each other. It is not uncommon for an adult pit bull to be very quarrelsome toward other dogs while being very friendly to humans, and to expect him to be otherwise is unfair to the dog, to yourself and to the community in which you live. Good intentioned but ignorant owners who obtain a dog, convinced that a dog's temperament is ultimately influenced only by "how you raise them" do tremendous damage to many breeds as well as being grossly unfair to their dog. Inter-species aggression is common in many breeds like the Akita, Rottweiler, Doberman, the terriers, Malamutes and malinois and dogs of these breeds can be expected to show little tolerance toward strange dogs. So dog aggression, responsibly handled, is not something which should stop you from enjoying many activities and sports with your dog. However, IT DOES require responsible ownership. If you are not willing to put the time, money, thought and effort into managing your animal, then do not get a dog.

from previous webpage..

May 20, 2005 09:29PM
another good pitbull link
no doubt there are bad seeds in every pod

[www.pitbullpress.com]

Acacia
May 20, 2005 09:52PM
"qualities that breeders want to cultivate in pit bulls for them to be successful in illegal dog fights -- namely courage, strength, dedication, intelligence and agility"

That's a pretty way to put it...

Look, I'm not saying pit bulls are inherently evil or that they can't be good dogs or do useful things for people, just that they have a tendency (more than most dogs) to lash out aggressively and hurt people. To suggest that there is some kind of conspiricy to hide the reports of people being viciously attacked by other breeds of dogs in order to scapegoat pit bulls as the only dangerous breed is far-fetched at best.
May 20, 2005 09:58PM

In case the links don't work:

Pit-bull ban may reveal unwarranted prejudice

May 11, 2005

It has to be one of the dumbest laws, ever. And I
don't even own or like pit bulls. It's nothing
personal, only that I'd never keep any animal that
eats as much or more than I do.

Still, I can weep for the pit bulls of Denver,
particularly for the puppies that never did anything
other than get born into the breed.

Yet here we have the city of Denver, newly sprung from
legislative and judicial restraint, rounding up pits
over the past couple of days and killing them like
rats during The Plague.

A uniformed officer arrives at a home. "I'll get him,"
she announces to her partner. Rather than fight it
all, a distraught man emerges, weighs going to jail
and a fine, and in the end hands over his dog.

"I'm definitely sad," he later tells a reporter. "He's
like a member of my family."

Later in the day, a woman pleads: "I don't have no
dogs!

"There ain't no dogs in the basement!" she yells as
the uniformed man and woman, responding to an
informant's report of a pit bull, interrogate her.
Outside, squad cars filled with police officers wait
to see if they are needed.

"I'm just doing my job," the woman officer later
laments.

It has been eight years since I last had a dog, God
rest him. And the one thing I truly know is I would
have never given him over to the dogcatcher to be
killed simply because he was a beagle.

I would hardly care if a judge in the city where I
lived said it was the rule and the law. Yet this has
been happening since Monday in Denver, when a state
law prohibiting bans of "breed-specific" dogs was
overturned and the city's moratorium on pit bull
confiscation and killing was lifted.

And no one much is saying a thing.

It is why we need to speak with William Suro. He is a
veterinarian of 45 years, who in 1988 started the
MaxFund, a nonprofit that provides medical care for
injured animals with no known owners, which seeks new
homes for them.

It is a shelter that has never killed a single dog.

Bill Suro, 69, for years has wrangled with Denver in
the courts of legal and public opinion over the ban,
passed in the wake of the pit bull killing of a young
child.

"Unfair. Stupid," Bill Suro says of this week's
roundup. "It remains an emotional response to a
terrible thing that happened, but one that doesn't
really help those hurt or killed by vicious dogs."

Bill Suro is a blunt-spoken and uncompromising
defender of animals, and a man who believes in harsh
punishment for those who abuse and kill them.

He has in recent hours counseled numerous terrier
owners, given the shock of their lives simply because
their pets resemble pits and were threatened with
euthanasia. Denver animal control authorities
acknowledge receiving and being sent on numerous
"could be a pit bull" calls.

"It makes me and every animal lover and organization
across this country just sick," he said. "It's crazy."

He and his wife, Nanci, over the past few months have
emptied MaxFund of every pit bull they once housed,
shipping them to like-minded shelters outside of
Denver.

He puts the number at close to 20 pit bulls. Some
owners, too, have come to MaxFund, only to be turned
away. He and Nanci, he said, have done all they could.

"We would absolutely love to be the Underground
Railroad for pit bulls, but we know the city would
close us down."

Yes, I tell him, but aren't pit bulls actually the
human flesh-ripping monsters they are portrayed to be?

Bill Suro snickers at my naivete.

"I've been a veterinarian for 45 years, and I've never
once been attacked or bitten by a pit bull. There are
other breeds where I have gone into an examination
room and really been on my guard. I will not tell you
which, but they scare me."

Cities like Denver, he says, whip up pit bull
hysteria. And that is all it is, he said. People now
all believe every pit bull "is a coiled and snarling
attacker. It's nonsense."

Cities, he said, would be much better served if they
took a simple look at canine attacks from recent
years.

"Eighty percent all fatal attacks in the U.S. are
caused by male dogs. I guess, given this, it would be
prudent to now ban all breeds of male dogs."

Denver, he said, does not at the same time send
dogcatchers to cite owners of non-neutered dogs,

"It should know there have been fatal attacks in the
U.S. by Pomeranians, that half a dozen attacks that
caused death or serious injuries were by cocker
spaniels."

And then he raises an issue I had not contemplated,
and which I do not lend much credence to. But I will
give him his say because it matches what has happened
the last two days in the city:

"There appears a racial end of this," Bill Suro says.

"Look at the dogs that have been impounded, and the
surnames of their owners. . . . They aren't killing
dogs from Cherry Creek. They pick on the easiest
people to pick on, the ones who give up easiest," he
said, adding that he has forwarded this claim to the
American Civil Liberties Union.

What happens, I ask, when all of the Denver pit bulls
have been rounded up and put down?

He would not want to be a Malamute, he said.

A male Malamute attacked and killed a 7-year-old girl
in Fruita last Saturday night.

"It is not the breed," an unsmiling Bill Suro said.

Bill Johnson's column appears Wednesday, Friday and
Saturday.

what if you had a sweet pet for 5 years and they wanted to come take it away although it had done nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Acacia
May 20, 2005 10:07PM
For the record, I don't support them killing the dogs. Not at all.
May 20, 2005 10:09PM
And crack is cuddly when compared to Ice.
May 20, 2005 10:10PM
for sure
i was never arguing that there arent dangerous dogs out there and some are surely pitbulls.. and pits are very string which makes them scary..
but this is rediculous... coming into peoples homes and taking their family members because they are what .. 50% pit? 100% pit?
5 % pit.. or they just look like one..

you know. i dont know half of my family because they were jews and someone came into our village.. and said.. we were dangerous to society..

Acacia
May 20, 2005 10:14PM
I didn't read in the article about dogs actually being taken that were not pits. Or percentages of any kind...

Again I say this is not an issue of discrimination.
May 20, 2005 10:19PM
it is
how do you know what a dog really is?
one of my dogs is 30 % pit.. would she be take away.. to anyone she could look fully pit
and then i have another dog.. who is more aggressive, unpredictable and has seemed like she might attack someone..
she is maybe 10% pit but mostly shepard and whippet... like a greyhound..
make any sense
if someone came to my house to get my Bear Girl, they would get met with a shot gun..

May 20, 2005 10:23PM
"and then i have another dog.. who is more aggressive, unpredictable and has seemed like she might attack someone.. "

Uh... Why don't you just bring that computer over to My house then?? uhheh?
May 20, 2005 11:13PM
> if someone came to my house to get my Bear Girl, they would get met with a shot gun..

...ya would shoot a PERSON over a goddam DOG!!!???

an a one dat "is more aggressive, unpredictable and has seemed like she might attack someone.." ?????

May 20, 2005 11:22PM
The only difference between a Pit and other dogs is their potential to do harm because of their powerful locking jaw. If you raise a Pit to be vicious, he can be the most dangerous animal on the streets(besides man). But true statement earlier, I bet there are so many more attacks by other breeds that are not focused on. I think it is somewhat like racial profiling. Just like the local news channels always show certain types of people in certain areas doing certain types of crimes! You never see corporate criminals being outed on the 6:00 news, or the environmental abusers, or high brow types.

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
Acacia
May 20, 2005 11:50PM
"how do you know what a dog really is?
one of my dogs is 30 % pit.. would she be take away.."

Well, I assume both of those questions could be answered with more research into what's happening in Denver. I would expect they'd have professionals determining which dogs are pits and which are not. I don't know the answer to what the percentage has to be, but I bet the answer is there.
Acacia
May 21, 2005 12:02AM
And I really don't buy the idea that other breeds of dogs have attacked and killed people and that it hasn't been reported in the news. By the way, you don't see a news report every time someone gets bitten by a dog. "Pit bull bites woman on hand" or "German Shepard bites man's leg." It is only the serious, serious attacks that get reported in the news, as it should be. If a poodle mauled a person to death, believe you would read about it in the newspaper.
Acacia
May 21, 2005 12:03AM
And I'm out now, sorry to be so argumentative. Very ruff week. Have a good weekend everyone.
May 21, 2005 12:59AM
i would shoot a person over a dog yes.
you dont have to agree with that as i am sure you dont.

the one that is aggressive has only been aggressive towards people who came into my house unannouced or who approached me in the dark.
i was fine with it
they protect me and i protect them

there is pit profilling
i have a few friends at different newspapers and i asked them.. they have all (4 different papers) said that when they wanted to turn in articles about pits helping people they were turned down.. and one of them said she covered a dog attack by a Jack Russell and her boss said, hey why dont you just change that to a pitbull, sounds better. !!!!!

Maconha
May 21, 2005 05:59PM
RASpect

there is indeed A LOT of irresponsable people out there, but if da shitstem gwan start takin tings dat could harm self and adas from irresponsable people, lets keep it real: guns, alchohol, cigarrets, and so forth comes first...but no...dis tings r way 2 profitable...da whole ting itself is so contradictory, its self-explanatory...anada scapegoat...da "black sheep" of dogs...InI Pit is da most incredible dog me have eva have, and me have had may breeds growin up...many people wanna open dem mouths regardin Pits widout due info...dis incredible dogs were not initually bred 2 fight as da myth tells, but rather, dem were bred and raised 2b workin dogs...da only aggression towards ada animals Pits were eva raised 2 diplay was toward Bulls...thus dem names: Pit Bull...dis is where da "lockin jaw" comes from, as dem dogs would pit da bulls, grabin dem by dem nose...as dem bulls would thrust dem dogs in da air, Pits learned 2 grab da nose an not let go...so ada than when bringin a bull down, Pits have always lived in harmony wid humans and ada animals, including ada dogs...now, a breed dat was bred so, is, of course, gonna b an exceptionally strong and agile one, and as such, if raised 2b generally aggressive, as it unfortunaly has often been da case, will indeed do harm......InI Pit, Moses, is gonna b 6 and is beloved by all hoods dat me have lived in, not 2 mention by InI friends as well as da kids Moses has done therapy wid...several times through da past 5+ years, pon encounterin Moses, people have said:"I didn't know Pit Bulls could be so nice!"...sounds familiar?! just replace Pit Bulls in da last sentence wid any misunderstood nationality, ethnicity or religious affiliation from anywhere inna whole wide world and u get da picture...

Consciousness cova da earth...
Bless
Maconha
May 21, 2005 06:04PM
RASpect

btw Give thanks 4 da thread and da reasonin Empress...

4IVA 4WARD...
Bless
May 21, 2005 06:45PM
Yes I Maconha

I have a little girl named.. Little Bear.. Osoita and when I walk her down the street everyone says, "Oh what a beautiful dog." and old ladies pet her and love her and say, "oooohhhh honey.. she is so sweet, and pretty. What kind of puppy is she??" and when I saw pitbull they pull back their hands and move back and say, "oh, ok, have a nice day." and they quickly leave.
but if i say, "oh she's a staffordshire terrier.." (which most people dont know is a type of pit) they keep on petting her and say, how cute and sweet and gentle and good she is..
very strange

i have had simliar reactions when i tell people i am Jewish and they want to know where i hide my horns.
;-/

Maconha
May 21, 2005 09:08PM
RASpect

keep ye head up high Empress...and 4give dem 4 dem know not wat dem do...
bout 2 weeks ago, me girls (Empress & princess) and Moses and InI were walkin 2 da park 3 blocks from da family crib when dis lady turns da corner at da end of da block wid a big dog (dont know da breed). as she heads innour direction, her dog is dragging her towards us...we were on da ada side of da street and half-way down da block...meanwhile Moses, as usual, is ignorin da strugglin, loud (did InI 4get 2 mention da he was barkin 2?!) dog...as we passed by dem, da ada dog was a few feet away from Moses pulling da lady towards Moses and barkin at him...finally, widout a bark, Moses charged toward da dog, only 2b held in place by his leash...after which, he went back 2 ignore da still loud dog...as we continued 2 walk down da st, we realized dat da neighbors down da st had dem dogs runnin loose...dis 2 tiny dogs have charged towards Moses once b4, and it was hillarious...me holdin Moses by da leash while holdin Kali's stroller, while me Empress chased da little killa dogs away from Moses, who just stood there waiting 4 all 2 b back normal so dat he could go back home after a havin exercised and get some water :0]...da same situation happened wid a CAT b4 in OB inna SD!:0) ...it was histerical...wish me had caught it on tape ...wakin high, we couldnt stop laughin 4 2 blocks :0]...but back 2 da walk back from da park...we had 2 turn around because there is no way dat we were going by de little killas down da st...all of dis took seconds, so as we head back on da opposite direction, da lady wid da loud dog is talkin wid anada lady outside her home...wat's she is sayin???!!..."did u c how dat Pit Bull charged toward (her dogs name)?!"...da ada lady responds: "yes, they r real killers"...in disbelief, InI walked by ...dem realized dat InI had just heard dem...so as we walked by dem embarraSADe faces, InI said "not really!" 2 which da house lady replied "its all Love in the neighborhood" ...InI replied "I hope so", but of course, not wid a threatenin voice, but a trully hopeful one...
who feels it knows it...blessins unto InI and InI puppy...

Righteousness cova da earth...
Bless
May 21, 2005 11:09PM
rark!
oooooofff!

May 23, 2005 10:49PM
Ras Danny seh "da whole pet ting is a babylon ting, imho!"

Selassie had Lions as pets. The male named Molla has 21 offspring present day.

Are you saying that in your opinion Selassie was a babylonian?
May 23, 2005 11:48PM
No, but I bet he didn't let it sleep on his bed or lick his face.
May 24, 2005 12:49AM
i would let my lion lick my face...
well
maybe thats not so smart

tee hee

May 31, 2005 07:48AM
I see that Empress has posted about Kris Crawford, and her SAR pits. Although I have nothing bad to say about Tahoe, Dakota, or Cheyenne, I would like to set the record straight on several other points:

Kris Crawford, aka, Kristine R. Crawford, is a liar, a fraud, and an outrageous disgrace to the entire pit, APBT, SBT, and related dog and SAR communities.

If she thinks she can gain something from you, be it financial support, housing, dog care, veterinary care, name recognition, or anything else that propels whatever need she currently has, she will lie, fabricate, deceive and do anything and everything she thinks it takes to get to you.

I know from personal experience; last year, Kris portrayed to me and my family to be dying of cancer. She claimed to have lost her husband, a Colorado doctor, when a drunk driver hit and killed him. She claimed to have lost her father at 9/11. She claimed all sorts of fantabulous tales of heartache and woe, of bravery and tremendous heroism in her SAR missions.

None of it turned out to be true.

She claims to have rescued Dakota from a pit fighting ring, where she was used as a bait dog. Fine, except she's published a number of other stories online and on her website, all claiming various stories from the fact that Cheyenne (who was NEVER a search dog, by the way) stole her out of a litter of puppies; that a breeder, gruff and big, caved, in tears, and gave her Dakota; to that Dakota came from a neighbor's friend's litter; to Dakota was among a litter of unwanted puppies, abandoned at a shelter, ready to be euthanized; to that crap story of being a bait dog.

She claims to have rescued Tahoe from a dumpster. Want to read it for yourself? Go to Animal Farm Foundation, and read their 2002 Reno CHAMP conference notes. Or, I can send you the AOL IM transcript she had with me in October, outlining all the horrors Tahoe has been through. Yeah....except, I've also got the letters and statements from Pam Carter and Gaff Kennels, showing that Kristine Rae Crawford negotiated a price discount from $400.00 to $350.00, how she showed up, insistent, on Christmas Eve, and purchased Tahoe, then went on to email Pam about all of Tahoe's SAR training. She even posed for pictures with the Carter children/grandchildren and Tahoe in front of the Christmas tree. Kind of hard to do that, if you rescued this dog, abandoned, abused, and thrown away like garbage in a Dumpster, huh?

She claimed to have been fired from Petco for staying at the Challenger shuttle search; no, apparently the truth is she was fired for labor law violations.

She claims to have been shot at 6 times while on SAR missions; I've been in SAR for over 11 years, and have never heard of ANYONE being shot at even once.

She claims to be going blind in her eye, and has seen many doctors. I've followed her claims of surgeries and permanent eye damage. As one person related to her treatment said, there's something wrong with that lady, and it's not her eye.

She claims to have permanently damaged her hand during a SAR mission, an injury so severe she may have to amputate her hand. Bullcrap. She injured it on November 23, while sneaking a jetski trailer out of our driveway, after ignoring telephonic orders, and emails to "stay away". I personally took her to Palomar Pomerado Hospital in Escondido, California.

Want more? Email me at sarlady@yahoo.com. There is simply too much, too many lies, too many different stories and tales of woe, all of which turn out to be wholly, or almost completely fabricated.

Kristine R. Crawford, and her For Pits Sake foundation, are not to be trusted, and certainly not to be respected, or looked to as a savior of this, or any related breed. She is a vampire, and will suck you personally, and the pit community as a whole, dry, and should be avoided as such.

Kimberly

And for the record, Rasmoka, "The only difference between a Pit and other dogs is their potential to do harm because of their powerful locking jaw" is a completely untrue statement that has been both biologically and scientifically proven to be false. Pit bull jaws do not lock; there are NO dogs who jaws lock. Period.
Dadi Digi
May 31, 2005 02:31PM
man, what a RUFF sitiation !
May 31, 2005 02:45PM
May not "lock" but them things definately do more damage than most. I agree that dogs are usually a reflection of their owners, but take a look at some of these pit bull owners.. It is sad to see an animal become the latest fad, only to be forgotten in a year or two.
May 31, 2005 03:03PM
Wow Kimberly, must agree there are some serious issues going on there. Thanks for setting the record straight.

I've known several pits in my life time and I've never had or heard of any problems with any of them. Most "problem" dogs come from problem families. Dogs need loving and attention just like people, and unfortunately there are a lot of uncaring idiots out there that get pit bulls because they think they will protect their meth lab from other idiots. These same idiots will train their "pets" to be mean and protective, and then often have to get rid of the dog due to their unstable lifestyle.

Sure there is an occasional bad pit bull that will snap - just like any other breed of dog (or people for that matter). They DO get the bad press, that is undeniable...
May 31, 2005 08:05PM
Kimberly

that lady sounds awful
i was just posting things from the internet that i found
sorry to have hit such a sorry note!
thanks
Lindsay Love

June 01, 2005 11:15PM
Guns don't kill people, people do. this is true, but how do we take that and come to the conclusion that dog's don't kill people, people do? Guns don't raom around the back yard of a house and they don't try and escape. They also don't have a mind and will of their own. I love dogs, but come on a Pit Bull could kill 99% of the people who post on this board. Jahmeek would puzzle him with his speech, thus the 99 and not 100% It isn't that they are inherently evil, but anyone can buy one. There is no requirement of ownership. This is the closest comparison so far between guns and pit's. Until you can assure people that they are not going to be mis treated and raised to where they want to chew off some heads then I don't blame Denver or any where else for not wanting them around.
Acacia
June 07, 2005 07:05PM
Chronicle (opinion) article in response to the latest fatal attack by pit bulls on a 12 year-old boy. He does a good job at pointing out how the death of this kid by his own pet dogs goes to show that nobody can say with certainty that their dog "would never" do a thing like this.

[www.sfgate.com]

June 07, 2005 07:17PM
Brutal story but just goes to show, fighting breeds are not the greatest housepets.
June 07, 2005 08:06PM
and, therefore, should be banned.
Acacia
June 07, 2005 08:19PM
I am not campaigning to ban them here, but I don't blame Denver or any other city that does. They are not a damn endangered species.
June 07, 2005 08:29PM
most pitbulls in the medie. are not really pitbulls.. but they are grouped with them...
AND>.
out of the deaths by dog attack... only about 12% are "pitbulls"

thanks

Acacia
June 07, 2005 08:44PM
"Then there's the old 'you-don't-even-know-if-it-was-a-pit-bull' argument. These people argue that there are mixed pedigrees and blurred breeds. You can count on someone sending along a link to the "find the pit bull" Web site, where photos of dogs that look like pits are mixed with some who are hard to identify. You are supposed to take the test and then marvel at how hard it is to say which dogs are pits.

You know what? It isn't that hard. Owners identify their dogs as pit bulls all the time. So do shelters."

AND

"They range from angry, profane rants to long, mind-numbing treatises citing statistical "facts" that only the author can locate."

Care to reveal where you get your information for stating percentages? Because I have seen varying estimates on that specific point. And of the thousands of breeds of dogs, pit bulls holding down 12% of fatal attacks on people is HUGE.
June 07, 2005 08:51PM
my cousin who is a vet told me that...
out of all the breeds he has delt with in the past 30 years.. pure, reall pits are some of the sweetest and least likely to attack.

June 07, 2005 09:01PM
EmpressLove wrote:

> my cousin who is a vet told me that...
> out of all the breeds he has delt with in the past 30 years..
> pure, reall pits are some of the sweetest and least likely to
> attack.

I do not think pit bulls are even a pure bred dog, they are a cross between a bulldog and now extinct hunting terriers. Seems they were bred for fighting and protection, which they are damn good at. I am not for banning these animals but some laws regarding ownership and treatment would be great.
June 07, 2005 09:16PM
pit bulls are the only dog that, when it does attack, keeps at it until the death. all other dogs (unless specially trained) will bite and back off. sooo your cousin the vet is probably looking at dog bite statistics, certainly not death by dog stats. and yes pit bulls are generally sweet and all that gooey stuff but if/when they do attack, serious injury or death occur. just like the family pet in san francisco last weekend that killed the little boy. i am sure everyone would say "oh fido, he is a sweet dog and wouldn't hurt a fly" well that only holds true until the pitbull attacks. i had a beagle that was seriously mauled by a pit bull that belonged to an acquaintance, cost me a shitload of money and scared the bejesus out of me. and the only reason that dog stopped chewing on my dogs head was because i applied a big rock to the pitbulls head. look now at the majority of pitbulls you see on the streets, thug looking gangstas being dragged along by a 100lb killing machine attached to a chain.
Acacia
June 07, 2005 09:28PM
Though I want to say that I am in no position to take the word of your "cousin who is a vet", what difference does it make since the figure you quoted seems to lessen the validity of your argument anyway? And let me ask you this: how does he KNOW the dogs he is looking at are pit bulls? If the answer to that question is that he is a trained professional, what do you know, so are the animal control officers that are called to identify the breed and remove the dog that is standing over the body of a dead child. The argument that they are being mis-identified is bogus dude. And so when he says that "pure, real pits" are the sweetest and least likely to attack, what evidence does he base that on? What his customers have told him about their dogs? What he reads in the newspaper? Whether or not they have attacked anyone while at the vet office, or what? All the evidence I can find goes directly against "least likely to attack"...
June 07, 2005 09:31PM
It can't be proven that the actual breed of dog is a contributing factor in fatal attacks. I am inclined to think that pit-bulls are the most successful, due to their physical attributes, at succeeding in actually inflicting fatal injuries. Chows, Rots and German Sheps are also suspect.

One bit of data that I found that does seem to show a a distinct factor in fatal attacks is this:

>Of the 109 fatalities from 1999-2003, 94% of the dogs involved were unaltered.
Source: National Canine Research Association

unaltered meaning spayed or nutered. I think all pits should be fixed and only licensed breeders should be able to breed and distribute them. Yes this would drive the price up, but it would also make sure that true dog lovers would own them, as opposed to individuals using the dogs for fighting, home protection, or simply status icons.
June 07, 2005 09:34PM
I hear you DW, they do serious damage. Lived next to 3, one got a lil lame and let's just say there is two now. The 2 younger ones put the older out, pretty common in nature but to witness it was horror. A local sherrifs deputy was the first to respond and after spraying 3 of the large bottles of mace at the two they finally retreated foaming and eyes watering. His response was this is the most gory thing I have ever seen. I asked him to document everything so if and when those dogs stepped foot my way I would be able to explain their carcases. He smiled and said I'd feel the same way. Within a week the tweeks that owned the dogs split out never to be seen again, guess the animals they brought into protect had now drawn attention to whatever they were protecting. Still I am more for banning the thug looking gangsta's being dragged, they have a choice.

June 07, 2005 09:43PM
This is an extremely emotional thread.Most pet owners are passionate about their pets...that's how it should be.Owners of pit bulls are no exception.The mother of the boy in SF NEVER thought FOR ONE SECOND that her beloved pets would maul her treasured son to death.I hear his screams for help each time I see the news showing the SPCA taking the dog out of the house and into the van,his face,neck and body covered in that boys blood.There have been several maulings by pits lately in the news and it seems small children have been the victims.I'm sure no one DREAMED this would happen to them.....but it does.I am not sure that banning any breed is the answer.You know that will not work for many reasons.Pits may not attack "often",but when they do it's lethal.That is what they were bred for.All pure bred dogs have a purpose,a job,that's why they were bred over the years.Pits may not be the most dangerous of breds ,I hear German Shepards are the most unpredictable and bite easily.Doberman"s have mellowed over the years due to breeding changes ....they had a very bad reputation,remember?Rotts were originally bred as hurders but they,too,were bred to be fierce.I have no answer,just thoughts.Besides,I am a cat and horse LOVER.Don"t forget ,San Francisco is still reeling from the mauling death of Diane Whipple.Yes,I know the dogs were a different breed but the emotions are the same.
June 07, 2005 10:32PM
"Still I am more for banning the thug looking gangsta's being dragged, they have a choice."

Imagine when they're not being dragged, and instead are standing in your yard blocking you from your own front door...

June 07, 2005 11:04PM
Funny you say that Chimino, I had a stray full grown male Rot blocking my door one day after being dropped of at my house after work. Spiked collar on growling at me. My roomate recued this little runt female that had her first heat and the Rot dug under the fence and had been posted up in my yard all day violating her.

Took me 1.5 hours to get him out of my yard. Crazy day. He kept coming back too.
Acacia
June 07, 2005 11:16PM
smiling smiley

They don't call it "violating" when 2 dogs are in heat..
June 07, 2005 11:23PM
LOL@that story. So Acacia you think it was consensual?

But in my reference, the pits were still attached to their owners, fwiw.

June 07, 2005 11:24PM
Yeah she was a lil freak. She barely came up to my knee and weighed 15 maybe 20lbs. He was easily 115lbs. The sucker ate two of our chickens too and drank up all of the water in a 2 gallon bowl.
June 07, 2005 11:27PM
damn, dat's country! ;-)

Acacia
June 07, 2005 11:31PM
I am sorry about your chickens.
June 07, 2005 11:34PM
any beast that I can't kill with my own two should it attack me at 6'3 240 shouldn't be roamin the streets, strange criterea I know but you gotta start somewhere.
Acacia
June 07, 2005 11:37PM
I agree they shouldn't be roaming the streets, but check this out:

[www.cbsnews.com]

Quite a catch 22.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login