Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Petition to END ban against Pit Bulls in Denver!

Posted by EmpressLove 
Re: Petition to END ban against Pit Bulls in Denver!
June 07, 2005 11:41PM
LOL! Just another day in the country.

Honestly, while they didn't really deserve to go out like that, I don't miss the chickens; they were mean. They were more less ferrel. No one at the pad was gonna eat them or their nasty eggs after we observed their behavior over time. Chicken aren't very discriminative when it comes to their diet. I'll leave it at that.
June 07, 2005 11:42PM
I just saw that on Sunday night, I see your point, but if you didn't catch it those people are some of the least reasonable you will find. This lady was complaining about the bears when she moved from the burbs to the edge of Yellowstone. Now I am just a humble Ninja, but c'mon if you live in a wild habitat shouldn't you expect to see some widerness? Including the kind that might bite you on your....
June 07, 2005 11:47PM
being a city boy i never knew the "pleasures" of cleaning freshly killed chickens to get them ready to eat. oh what a mess. its been many years and i still cringe at the thought of it. my roommate bought chickens, all with their feathers and feet and beaks on. we started to clean them (with hot water) and all their vital juices leaked out. i couldn't eat chicken for a coupla years after that.
jb welda
June 07, 2005 11:47PM
yes i saw that program and just had to laugh. cody wyoming is exactly on the border of wilderness. people are stupid enough to move there and expect it to be "safe". sorry, once you leave california your rights to "safe" disappear almost instantly.

ps: a grizzly doesnt just bite you on your .... it EATS your .... for appetizer and then starts looking for a moose or some real food.

one love
jah bill
Acacia
June 07, 2005 11:49PM
Yes, of course. I agree completey, your post just reminded me of seeing that. Yeah, I did catch their irrationality at the time. Their solution is to take the grizzly off the endangered species list so they can kill them when they step on their property...
June 07, 2005 11:53PM
Funny when a mountain lion or other animal kills a jogger/hiker, authorities find it necessary to track down & kill the specific animal which did the deed....as if it was rabid and acting out of its nature.

June 07, 2005 11:56PM
yeah you know kill the animal for being what it is, the funniest thing about it was when Leslie Stahl was like, "Isn't it true that a Grizzly has never killed anyone outside of the park in 100 years?" and the guy was like "well...true, but it is only a metter of time" or some nonsense like that. If you don't want you kid's or yourself eaten by a giant animal don't move to the woods. Imagine if they had the same solution for people. If you step on my lawn I can blow you away, because there is a chance that you might consider attacking me. Utter Fockery.
June 08, 2005 12:00AM
True, luckily it's only a matter of time before Mother Nature enacts her own policy which purges herself of the consistent threat posed by the human race.
Why is it the most intelligent creature also happens to be the most idiotic? will meditate upon that one...

Acacia
June 08, 2005 12:02AM
That guy also said, "Yeah, but when you hear of people being scalped by grizzly bears..."

? Did they mention that instance in the story? I don't remember it.
June 08, 2005 12:04AM
As nature dictates, everything will have its season; including humans.
Acacia
June 08, 2005 12:06AM
Maybe the righteous ones will escape obliteration and turn into birds like the dinosours.
June 08, 2005 12:15AM
So perhaps I am the great, great to the 25th exponential power, grandfather of a Golden Eagle...nice!! I hope your right Acacia. ;-)
Maconha
June 08, 2005 04:18AM
RASpect

da author in dat article writes: "It isn't poor training or bad owners mistreating them (although that dramatically raises the likelihood of an attack). It is the breed."

InI said it b4 inna previous posting in dis thread and will say it again, bottom line is: PREJUDICE!!! its da same with misunderstood nationalities, ethnicities, or wat have u...rather than lookin at da circumstances as da roots of da problems, dem a point 2 da "kind" as da problem itself, and claim dat surroundin circunstances only add 2 it...babylonian mentality...

imon not sayin dat its an easy issue...quite da opposite...people r tradegicaly losin dem lives, and dis is causin much sufferin 2 both humans and Pits alike... and InI mos def 4ward some form of action, as long as it dosent point 2 Pits as da problem...but again, 4 me, its a mata of priority, seen...so many tings causin MUCH MORE sufferin than Pits...

Righteousness cova da earth...
4IVA 4WARD...
One LOve
MASH
June 08, 2005 05:22AM
LEGALIZE LABRADORS
June 08, 2005 07:13AM
"InI said it b4 inna previous posting in dis thread and will say it again, bottom line is: PREJUDICE!!! its da same with misunderstood nationalities, ethnicities, or wat have u...rather than lookin at da circumstances as da roots of da problems, dem a point 2 da "kind" as da problem itself, and claim dat surroundin circunstances only add 2 it...babylonian mentality..."

You're forgetting one important criteria: truth. Genes matter, that's a patently obvious fact: dogs don't act like cats and don't act like people. There's not some magic point at which genetics "goes away," and so you can't just dismiss claims that the breed of a dog influences its behavior. You may feel that the genetic contribution is small - but the important question is then this: why is it that pits are involved in so many fatal attacks? What is the crucial factor that results in this trend, and how can it be eliminated or reduced?

Because honestly, just saying "pits are misunderstood" and leaving it at that is just ignoring the problem. If pits themselves aren't the cause of these fatal attacks, then the best thing pit lovers can do to protect the legality of their favored breed is to find and eliminate what actually *is* the problem.
June 08, 2005 03:29PM
it is prejudice, but so what? and I mean that in all honesty. Can you gaurentee me that if this thing goes haywire that you will be able to control it? Don't say that is true of any dog because 99% of dog's can be handled withyour bare hands if need be. Pit's were bred to fight. Not every pit is wicked, and most probably are not, but since you can't reason with them you never know. Let me put it like this if you own a pit and it kills someone are you willing to take it's place and be put down? If not then....................
Acacia
June 08, 2005 05:45PM
Prejudice is just the word that is used to stop people in their tracks, I think it's a cheap shot. I'll use an extreme example just to make my point: If there was a guy that went around shooting people and the police wanted to lock him up, is THAT prejudice??? It seems like the people who call pit bulls dangerous dogs are basing their veiw on actual occurrences, while the defenders just say "No, no, no." The truth is that the breed is known to be strong, aggressive and unpredictable, and has killed more people than other breeds. How do you reconcile your standpoint that the problem is the circumstances of the dog's life and the treatment of the dog, with the fact that the kid that just died was killed by his own pet dogs that had never shown aggressive behavior before and had been "friendly"? And about being able to control your dog if it snaps, I have seen them get wild and they are no easier to control than a rattlesnake on a string.
June 08, 2005 06:02PM
it's like comparing a machine gun (Pcool smiley vs. a standard rifle (labrodor) vs. BB Gun (my chihuaha)... the potential for danger is different. All dogs bite and all guns fire a projectile of some sort !!! The range of potential harm from an attack, or gun varies greatly with its composition. I am not saying any dog is as dangerous as a gun, just using the gun to illustrate the different levels of potential danger that can occur within the subgroups.

Should we have gun control laws? The answer is obviously yes, because we do, so why shouldn't we have control over dogs which also present the possibility for the loss of human life.

Most victims are children too. Something needs to be done. Not a ban, but more control.
June 08, 2005 07:54PM
I am saying the dog is an dangerous as a gun. How many guns do you know that chase after people and sniff out where they are hiding. How many guns do you know that operate on their own without a human behind them? Again, what if it does go bad will the owner take the dogs place?
June 08, 2005 08:09PM
Good point Ninja, but how many guns help blind people cross the street? Or rescue victims in natural disasters. Dogs serve humans,more so than harm them. My point was that we as a society of pet owners need to take more preventative action with "aggressive" breeds.

To answer your very valid question, YES, if my Chihuaha killed someone elses kid, I wouldn't want to live anymore.
June 08, 2005 08:36PM
My arugument isn't against dogs, I love doges. I even got bit in the dome by a 180lbs St. Bernard as a youth. It is against the kind that can and do kill grown men, women and children.
June 08, 2005 08:46PM
If that St. Bernard would've been a pit, you wouldn't be a Ninja today- no doubt. So what do you propose then, just ban all agressive breeds and done. Or what? How bout Chows, Sharpei, Rots, Mastifs, etc etc....?

zoki
June 08, 2005 09:14PM
Sharpei is as agressive as Dubguy. Chinese used to keep them for a food for centuries.
June 08, 2005 09:19PM
it is hard to say and I know it isn't just black and white as all pits are bad, it is a difficult problem. Let me ask you and anyone else this. Is the breed domesticated? Are pits domesticated animals or does it depend and if it depends should we be taking chances? What do you think?
June 08, 2005 10:13PM
They are most definitely domesticated. That is the thing, they were bred, by man, to do one thing- kill. I have grown up around pits and one thing that I can say is that every pitbull that I've been around, at one point, or another, has behaved in an overly aggressive manner. Usually, against other dogs. It's an instinctive thing that you can do nothing to stop. Try to keep a lab from wanting to fetch and swim, or a boarder collie from demonstrating hearding behaviors. It is just the nature of the dog. But again, they are not the only breed designed to exhibit this behavior.
June 08, 2005 10:24PM
Lion that is what I mean is it really domesticated because it acts so 85% of the time. I see bears int he circus do that to, but "when animals attack>>>>>>>
June 08, 2005 10:42PM
Again, I would have to say yes brotha Ninjacat. Because they are not out of control in some "wild" state of mind, they are doing what they were genetically engineered to do-KILL. Ask anyone who has ever seen a Pit square off against another dog, they wag their tales like they're about to get a filet mingon.
June 08, 2005 11:22PM
SEEN! I hear you.
June 09, 2005 12:52AM
Maybe if the owners of the pits would get them these, they wouldn't have such hostile and negative vibes...
[cgi.ebay.com]

...still, may I respectfully add that, since dogs are verboten at SNWMF, this subject could be...(shiver)...off-topic?
!franco!
June 09, 2005 03:24AM
i got a pitbull, yeah he's sweet and all that, but the fact remains that he is descended from the best breed for dog fighting. so it is logical that people that want to fight dogs would want pitbulls..... and people that want dogs for fighting will raise them to be vicious..... any dog can be raised to be vicious, but pitbulls are more likely to be vicious because they are superior fighters...... so that means that pitbulls are more likely to be the dog involved with an attack on humans, because they have been breed and in some cases raised to do so.....

whatever
Maconha
June 09, 2005 03:52AM
RASpect

wow...me dont even know where 2 start...but i'll try...

Fish, me bredren, i hear u...but me have not 4goton da truth...neighter have i denied it...genes do mata...but here is da deeper Truth: WE humans r da problem! WE more often than not screw up everyting we touch...weda dem a b dogs or our own kids! WE r harmin one anada!!! da tings we use r just tools... now, r Pits PART of da problem? no doubt! but wat an insignificant part when compared 2 da tings dat r REALLY killin our bredrens and sistrens, like GUNS, famine, poverty, alcohol, cigarrets, drugs and so forth...imon much more scared bout a drunk driva crashin into me family's car than of a Pit attackin a loved one...and 3 of me immediate neighbors have Pits!...imon much more scared of a student at me empress' school bringing a gun and harming her or anyone else, than imon scared of her being attacked by a Pit...

seen, like i said b4, 2 me, its a mata of priority...and ultimately, it comes down 2 focusin on people rather than on exterior factors...banin Pits is a band-aid, and as da wise and eloquent Vaughn sings:"...watch dem come wid dem band-aid to cova your open heart surgery..."

as long as we keep pickin leaves, da trunk of our problems is gonna remain grounded in its roots...nuff said...

Consciousness cova da earth...
4IVA 4WARD...
One Love
Maconha
June 09, 2005 04:19AM
RASpect

and 2 answer your questions Ninja:

YES, i can guarantee you that if me Pit were 2 go "haywire" i would be able 2 control it...

and YES, imon willing 2 take responsability 4 me dog's action...wouldn't have it any ada way...

Bless
June 09, 2005 04:39AM
Just because something is a lesser danger doesn't mean it should be ignored. Although dog-mauling deaths are certainly less of a problem than, say, drunk driving-related deaths, they aren't actually connected - they're two independant things. Dog-mauling deaths aren't going to go away if you get guns, drunk driving, armed robbery, etc. under control. I agree that more effort should be focused on eliminating the greater dangers, but if a minor danger can be eliminated with a simple and inexpensive fix that doesn't trample excessively on individual freedom - why not? I personally haven't decided what I think is an appropriate solution, I'm just saying that the "there are bigger problems" argument evades the real question of whether pits are inherently dangerous, and if so, what should be done about them.
Maconha
June 09, 2005 04:59AM
RASpect

well reasoned Fish...but who is callin 4 ignorin da problem?! me have said: "...InI mos def 4ward some form of action..."

pointin out that "pits are misunderstood" and dat "there are bigger problems" by no means invalidates da issue...it only points in da right direction, which is to target people as da roots of da problem...

Bless
Maconha
June 09, 2005 05:06AM
RASpect

"Although dog-mauling deaths are certainly less of a problem than, say, drunk driving-related deaths, they aren't actually connected - they're two independant things"

dats me point bredren...dis 2 tings ARE connected...dem r being caused by irresponsible people...

Bless
Acacia
June 09, 2005 06:02PM
What was irresponsible about these people? [www.sfgate.com]

Was it leaving their 12-year-old son alone for 2 hours with the family dogs? Or was it irresponsible for them to have the dogs in the first place?

You just can't definatively say this: "...people as da roots of da problem..."

Maconha
June 10, 2005 05:12AM
RASpect

Acacia, i would NEVA pass judgment on dis unfortunate folks...da only ting imon passin unto dem is me prayers...besides, u need me not to do so; just read da article attentively and u'll overstand wat happened...

"You just can't definatively say this: "...people as da roots of da problem...""
why not?!?!?!?!?!...

an interestin piece of dat article is a quote from Trish King, director of behavior and training at the Marin Humane Society and author of the book "Parenting Your Dog"... she says:"There's a huge genetic tendency to behave in certain ways. Herding dogs tend to herd. Dogs bred to fight each other, like pit bulls, tend to get aroused very quickly, unless you breed it out of them."...does she has da credentials 2 say so?!...appearantely she does...and if one is inclined 2 tink she is talkin theory, i'll provide da practice...i have "bred it out" of me Pit (6 years old in august)...can i say dat bout every Pit? mos def not, because some Pit lineages have had dem "fightin genes" reinforced generation after generation, so it may b dat wid certain Pits, no mata how hard one would try, one would just not b able to "breed it out"...but 2 condemn an entire breed is, as i said b4, babylonian mentality...

in dat article, da mom is quoted askin people 2 pray 4 dem...i would like to reinforce dat and ask dat yall REALLY pray 4 dem, as dem r in DEEP need...light dem a candle or incense and mindfully send dem your energy so dat dem may find healin...i hold me head up high feelin confident dat at no point is dis a thread have i come across as lackin sympathy/empathy 4 dem who have suffered as a result of da issue in question...and me arguin against bannin Pits by no means contradicts dat...

Bless
June 10, 2005 06:56AM
"Acacia, i would NEVA pass judgment on dis unfortunate folks...da only ting imon passin unto dem is me prayers...besides, u need me not to do so; just read da article attentively and u'll overstand wat happened..."

Again, this dodges the issue. A kid died - the question is, why? As a result of irresponsible people? As a result of inherent behavior of the dog? A combination (that would be my guess)? Some other cause? And crucially, how can this sort of thing be prevented in the future (assuming it is desirable to prevent at all - some people would say what someone does in their own home is their own business and is at their own risk, and so whether any action should be taken is also an open question). If you do want to try to prevent such things from happening, you need to figure out what went wrong in order to stop it next time.

""You just can't definatively say this: "...people as da roots of da problem...""
why not?!?!?!?!?!..."

Because statements like that need support to be convincing. If people are the root of the problem - why the correlation with pitbulls? Do people for some reason behave more irresponsibly with pitbulls? Or is the same baseline level of irresponsiblity that most people demonstrate more dangerous when combined with pits because the dog itself is more dangerous? Can the dog be dangerous without irresponsibility on the part of the people? You can't just lump everything into "people being irresponsible" before considering these factors - and if you do decide it's the result of human irrseponsiblity, how do you actually prevent it?

As for "breeding something out," I read that to mean actually breeding the animal to eliminate the undesired genetic trait. This is inherently not possible for individual dogs (a single animal can be trained, but its genetics are unchangable); it requires a breeding program over time.

Honestly, to me that seems like a reasonable solution - if pit lovers take it upon themselves to create a breeding program to reduce any inherent aggressiveness in pits, while still maintaining other charactaristics that pit owners find desirable, then both sides win - fewer dog mauling attacks without a ban on pits.
Maconha
June 10, 2005 03:56PM
RASpect

"...dodges the issue"????!!!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!...warrior, how is me refrainin from judgin people dodgin da issue?!?!?!?!?!!!! in dat same quote i say:"...just read da article attentively and u'll overstand wat happened..." ...do dat and u'll find your why...and wid regards as 2 wat 2 do bout it, honestly i dunno... if i had da time, i would surely put me energy into helpin find a solution, but i believe dat requires intimacy wid da issue, and as i said, i dont have dat kind of time...

"...If people are the root of the problem - why the correlation with pitbulls?"
"...is the same baseline level of irresponsiblity that most people demonstrate more dangerous when combined with pits because the dog itself is more dangerous? ...there, u answered your own question...people's irresponsability becomes VERY dangerous when combined wid tings dat can b harmful...so me point stands dat it all goes back to people as da roots of da problem...

got hit work, will get back on da "breed it out" piece later...

Bless
June 10, 2005 05:00PM
Hmm, Fish does have some valid points there - including the breeding out thing. Most pedigrees now days are killing off their own breed by limiting the gene pool, many showing more and more problems which are specific to certain breeds. Dalmations can't hear, Shepards and their hips, etc. I've always thought the smartest dogs were the mutts. We are halting their proper evolutionary path by keeping them "pure" (based on what the American Kennel Club and other Breeder organizations consider desireable traits).

Sorry, jumping a little off topic there - Fish just struck a chord..
Acacia
June 10, 2005 05:56PM
"i hold me head up high feelin confident dat at no point is dis a thread have i come across as lackin sympathy/empathy 4 dem who have suffered as a result of da issue in question...and me arguin against bannin Pits by no means contradicts dat..."

Maconha, I have said nothing personal to or about you, nor have I accused you of lacking sympathy, empathy or anything else. I am only trying to engage you or anyone who is interested in a real discussion about an issue, and if that makes you feel defensive about your character, you are looking at my comments from the wrong angle.

What you said was exactly this: "dem r being caused by irresponsible people..." That itself is a judgement on the situation as a whole. So when I challenge you with an instance that seems to go against your blanket statement by putting it in the context of your own words, to just say you won't "pass judgement" on them is therefore saying you will not comment at all on how this particular situation affects the issue we are discussing. And if that's the case, then you are failing to do anything to support your argument, and this discussion is not worth having if one side refuses to comment on real things. I call THAT "babylonian mentality".

And yes I take offense to you telling me to "just read da article attentively and u'll overstand wat happened..." You think I didn't read the article I posted carefully enough? Show me what I missed then.
Maconha
June 11, 2005 03:07AM
RASpect

Acacia, da quote u took from my postin was not directed at u, but rather was meant 2b a closin 4 my participation in dis a thread...me have said nuff on dis issue and, b4 leavin, wanted 2 mek sure idrens didnt confuse my stand against banin Pits wid me lackin sympathy/empathy towards da victims and dem families...defensive? perhaps, but sometimes, when one stands against da grain, defensiveness results...take a look back at dis thread and u might symphatize wid my "defensive" stand...and when i suggested dat u take anada look at da article u posted, by no means did i mean 2 offend u...sometimes when we read somethin, even if carefuly, we might miss somethin in it or even da whole point...but if u hold yaself 2 such a high standard dat its not ok 4 u to do so, then its on u...i personaly have no such pride and therefore could not have foreseen u feelin offended...da only reason why i ever suggested u read it again, was 4 u 2 find da answer 2 your own question...because 2 me, it lies in dat article quite explicit...havin said dat, keep in mind dat irresponsability is often da result of ignorance...

me not directly answerin your question does not = me failin 2 support my argument, much less it = babylonian mentality...it = RASpect...i could NEVA comment on dis family's tragedy...not in da way u asked me to...as u said yaself, i have passed "...judgement on the situation as a whole", but 2 use dis specific tragedy 2 "support [my] argument" is just inconceivable 2 me...if dat meks "...this discussion...not worth having..." then we r through...but keep in mind dat your initial question has been and remains answered...Bless

One Love
seed
June 11, 2005 04:45AM
how this thread survived this long is nuts
Fish
June 11, 2005 07:25AM
"...there, u answered your own question...people's irresponsability becomes VERY dangerous when combined wid tings dat can b harmful"

I certainly agree in general, and so does the government, which is why it regulates, to various degrees, things that it considers harmful in combination with irresopnsibility - driving a vehicle, alcohol, sale of dangerous laboratory chemicals, and so on. The problem is, it's hard to directly stop human irresponsibility - so a common government approach is to limit access to things that, when combined with irresponsibility, can kill people.

Looking at it in that light - are pits more dangerous than other dogs? And if so, should they be regulated, just like other dangerous things? That's the essense of the question.

"judgement on the situation as a whole", but 2 use dis specific tragedy 2 "support [my] argument" is just inconceivable 2 me...if dat meks "...this discussion...not worth having..." then we r through"

In that case, I guess we may have to be through. Here's my view of this discussion - there have been some specific incidents of dog mauling. You have proposed a general theory (human irresponsibility) to account for dog mauling. In order for that general theory to be convincing to a skeptic, you need to explain how it explains specific incidents - otherwise, why should anybody believe that your theory is the correct one?

More importantly, if you don't think it's appropriate to actually discuss how specific incidents could have prevented, then this sort of discussion really can't lead towards a meaningful way to prevent future such deaths. If you don't think we should take any action to prevent future deaths, because the number of people who die because of it are small or because some of them "had it coming" because they hit the dog or because it tramples on individual liberty or whatever, then that's a perfectly valid opinion to put forth (I'm not claiming these are your opinions, just putting them forth as examples) - but refusing to discuss specific incidents by its nature evades discussion of ways that these things can be prevented in the future.
June 11, 2005 12:53PM
i want to thank and bless everyone for coming with their true hearts, love and concern here.. on this thread..
I think this is a difficult discussion to have, so many passions and all... let alone on a web board where words and emmotions are often mis construed... but i thank you all for coming and being respectful...
blessings

"It takes a whole village to raise a child" African Proverb
June 17, 2005 03:36PM
I am the owner of a 6 month old male Pit Bull/Boxer pup. He's 45 pounds and thinks that he's a lap dog. He sleeps between my husband and myself, with either his head on my husband's pillow or mine. We routinely take him to the dog parks where he loves to run, jump and play with all the other dogs. Many times he gets into a submissive posture on his back when a dominate male dog approaches. Many politicians, legislators, and unknowledgeable citizens tell me that my dog, simply because he is a pitbull is vicious. That is nonsensical.

In the past, other dog breeds have come under fire and loathing: Rottwielers, Doberman's, and others just because a death, a dog bite, or another injury has occured. I would suggest that punishing the owner, or disiplining the owner would be more judicious than killing the dog. When looking at specific breeds that bite humans, Saint Bernards were number one, along with Cocker Spaniels, and German Shepards. Where are the bans on those breeds. My daughter got bitten by a Chow; where is the ban on that breed?

In defense of my dog and being a dog owner of a breed that is banned, my husband and I have done everything we possibly can we raise this dog to be social. He goes to the vet regularly, he's in puppy training classes, we take him to the dog park weekly, and we socialize him. Why, should we be punished for doing everything we can for our dog, when other dog owners do nothing or very little.

I have termed this type of action as a "kindergarden mentality." Do you remember being in school and another student got into trouble for doing something wrong? Well, many times, the entire classroom was punished as well. And the reason for this???? Because the administration/teacher wanted to show us all what would happen if we did the same thing. It was all about controlling the masses.

One other thing before I sign off, does the city of Denver realize what a ban will do to their tax base? My husband and I will move to another town another state before we give up our dog. He's a part of the family, and it's a matter of principle. If one of your children were threatened to be taken away from you, would you just let the city take them? Hardly. I believe the City of Denver is making a bad judgement call that will eventually come back to bite them (pun very much intended!)

buttah
June 17, 2005 03:47PM
it is true that many other dogs bite...as do some humans :0)...but i think what what most people who are for the ban is that once pits lock on to something or someone..it is hard to get them off...we have bull mastiffs that people are terrified of..and i know that they could do some serious damage...
June 17, 2005 04:08PM
I don't think it is kindergarten to suggest a ban on dogs that have the potentil to kill grow men. Obviously you are right that all pit's are not wicked and nasty. I would even go further to say that most poit's are not that way. I agree with that stat on St. Bernard's I got bit in the head by one theat was pushin 180lbs. The difference is he bit my whole head literally, I got marks in my eye brows in the front and at the base of my skull in the back, but he let go. he bit me cause he had mites in his ears, like a lot of farm dogs, and I pet his ears to hard. I was only ten, and the bite was to get me to stop. Correct me if I am wrong, but a Pit in the same situation would have finished me off. Once that trigger goes off they don't stop until whatever is in their way is dead. I got to go almost to Sac town.
June 17, 2005 10:55PM
When humans have spent hundreds of years developing a breed of dog that is genetically predisposed to killing humans and it's own kind, we have only ourselves to blame. You wouldn't give a gun to a lunatic that was just released from a hospital for the insane, so why would anyone want these animals running around in society. I love my freedoms here in the US (what's left of them), but Pitbulls left alone in a backyard with a rickety fence is trouble waiting to happen. Sure, it would be great if everyone was a RESPONSIBLE dog owner, but perhaps the more responsible thing is to condemn those that breed and keep an animal that has so much hate bred into it. Pitbulls can be wonderful, loving animals, but they can also snap at a moments notice and do terrible damage to any living thing. Furthermore, I would expect anyone on this board to be concerned with creating love and harmony in the world, rather than hate and violence. This breed epitiomizes hate and violence, and perhaps the worst within ourselves.
June 18, 2005 12:17AM
From SNWMF Camping Rules:
<<NO DOGS ALLOWED:
We are SERIOUS about no dogs. All vehicles will be subject to a "Dog-Gone" SEARCH at entry gate. Cars with dogs must leave and tickets will not be refunded. There are no exceptions, unless you have a seeing-eye dog.>>

This thread is as Oh Tee as you can get to anything having to do w/SNWMF.
June 21, 2005 03:05PM
my sweeties were happily at doggie camp all weekend..

they were however happy to see us on monday
thanks to everyone for keeping their sweet little canines at home!\

blessed
L

&quot;It takes a whole village to raise a child&quot; African Proverb
joe
July 07, 2005 01:01AM
This law is bad! Stop the dog fighiting. Its ignorant people that make pits mean. Any dog or person beat will attack, why do we have so many people in prison; Its because they were abused,like jerks do to these loveable dogs. My pit is the most loveable dog in the world she would never hurt anyone! Also it has been known for so many other legal breads to attack. But no one notices becuse the story for the media wouldn't be as exciting. If a lab attacks a person it would be its owners liability, like why's this "great" dog attacking, however if it was a pit that attacked it would be against all pits.Why ban all pits for the owners who choose to turn them into a fighting dog when its really on how u raised and treat them. Don't ban all pits, ban fighting dogs and enforce the law.EmpressLove wrote:

> my sweeties were happily at doggie camp all weekend..
>
> they were however happy to see us on monday
> thanks to everyone for keeping their sweet little canines at
> home!\
>
> blessed
> L
>
G String Lewis
July 12, 2005 12:48PM
BOY DIES AFTER SAVAGING

A one-year-old boy has died after he was savaged by an American bull terrier.

The toddler was attacked by the family's pet in Tinshill, north Leeds, on Monday afternoon, said West Yorkshire Police.

He suffered serious injuries and was taken to Leeds General Infirmary where he later died.

Police said: "The American bull terrier dog, a family pet, was removed by Leeds City Council and destroyed.

"The coroner has been informed. A family liaison officer has been appointed to work closely with the family to support them through this difficult time."

The spokesman said the boy was attacked in the family home.

Destroy ALL fukin Pitts is my motto !
July 12, 2005 11:04PM

THREE YEAR OLD GIRL DIES AFTER BRUTAL CANINE ATTACK

In Key West, Florida a three-year-old girl was mauled to death by a Maltese.

While attacks by such small dogs seems impossible, it is these dogs that often go

untrained by owner's who don't believe dogs of this stature need much training.

"It is much easier to control a 10 lb dog who is undisciplined than a 80 lb dog,

so large dogs get put through more rigerous trainings, while small dogs get

picked up and carried away." Gabriel Johnson, of the Animal Behavior Clinic in

Miami also tell us, "Often it is Pitbulls, Dobermans and Shepards that get the bad

rap, but any untrained or aggressive dog can be a lethal weapon when in the

hands of the wrong owner."

The Family is very upset, yet they realize the family dog, while petit, should

have been better trained.

July 12, 2005 11:17PM
actually there are some people who are just bad it has nothing to do with abuse. Was GW beaten or locked in a closet as a kid? Maltese? LOL, is saw a mean lookin wiener (sp) dog rollin down the street the other day), I think his theme song was Bad man a Bad man.
July 13, 2005 12:02AM
The only dog I have ever been bitten by was a viscious blood thirsty little dascheund (wienerdog).
July 13, 2005 12:33AM
why do we insist on caring for dogs, cats, other animals, to the extent that they practically OWN us?

I seh do away with ALL PETS an spread the love, instead, to the "CHILDREN" of the village...
July 13, 2005 03:52AM
unfortunately our species has domesticated many species to the point that they completely depend on us
and...
many people need and view these animals as their pets..
but yes. excess is rediculous when people are starving everywhere!

July 13, 2005 04:55AM
G String..a Bull Terrier is not a Pitbull.
July 13, 2005 06:53AM
Whatever. This thread is the 'pits' and has gone totally to the...well you get the idea. Not sure how it began anyhow, since SNWMF has a strict no dogs (of any breed) policy.
July 13, 2005 11:21PM
began with me

jllab3
July 14, 2005 05:05AM
I never understand why it is even argued that Pit bulls are dangerous. They have been bred to be. Just as retrievers have been bred to retrieve and collies to herd.

Fact- Pit Bulls as a single breed have been responsible for 33% of deaths by dog attack in the U.S. in the last 20 years. No other breed is even close.

Where do you think the name Pit came from?
July 14, 2005 05:30AM
pit bull smitt bull

i love my pig dog bulls

July 17, 2005 03:48AM
In this country American Indians, Blacks, Asians, Mexicans, and others at one time were bread to be slaves. Is that what they "are"? Pit bulls have more ability to be destructive. They are not more agressive than all other dogs. If you breed them to hate they will. Remember when it was Dobies? Hmmmm! Seems like all the dogs with a bad rap are tied to a certain type of people. Wonder if that has anything to do with it? You know it. I know more peacful loving Pits than any other breed of dog. Most of the attacks in my hood are from lab, or shepard mixed mutts. Products of their environment, just like people in some cases. I was viscously attacked by a "German" shepard(they are the ones with the good rep cause they r cops, and German, LOL). I bet a good percentage of attacks are by these larger, and for the most part, more aggressive dogs.

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
July 17, 2005 03:58AM
Wow Lovie! nice "big" post. Just like me! LOL just kidding. Sort of.

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
July 18, 2005 04:37AM
;-)
nuff said

July 18, 2005 03:48PM
Ras Smoke, I love you my brother, but your comparison is not going to stand to the sparks of reason let alone the Fire. Human Beings are not dogs. Dogs do not posses the ability to reason no matter how you rasie them. Human beings the planet over can be extremely violent this is true, but banning humans from a city is not of this earth. For a quick second think about this rationally. A Male Pit can pull upwards of 2000lbs on a dry sled. It can break a femur (sp) in a single bite. The Dog can climb trees and it WAS bred for a few hundred years to fight and kill. There is no escaping this. This may be so of other dogs like the German Shepard, but the German Shepard is one of the smartest dogs around. Again if a 6'3 230lb guy can't defend himself against it why is it walking around the city streets? Whick person do you know of that can apply 2,000lbs of force if the dog wants to get at somebody?
July 30, 2005 07:05AM
[gprime.net]

check that and the credit links for some Real statistics

July 30, 2005 07:11AM
[www.petitiononline.com]

a petition about Florida!

please if you disagree just pass over this thread..

July 30, 2005 04:27PM
Where does it say anything about Florida??
Awful as this case is, this petition is from LeFlore County, Oklahoma.
Heart's in right place, just need to open eyes.
July 30, 2005 05:22PM
ha! Stamina funny
i was pretty tired last night and I could have sworn i was reading about Florida!!
blessings

August 08, 2005 01:39AM
Police shoot, kill pit bulls in attack

Two dogs injure a woman in her family's yard in Southeast 101st Avenue after a neighbor twice expressed concerns of the pets

Sunday, August 07, 2005
SCOTT LEARN

Pat Moody pulled into her driveway Saturday afternoon, home from a trip to Target. She opened the car door.

"I heard a little girl screaming," Moody said. "And the dogs were going crazy."

Moody hurried to the house across the street and saw two pit bulls -- Scarface and Ali -- attacking a young woman in the backyard. There were bite marks and blood. Steps away a little girl was sobbing and screaming.

A police officer ran over. She asked Moody and other neighbors a few quick questions and hopped the chain-link fence.

"The lady was just screaming for help, the dogs were at her, and then, 'bam, bam,' " Moody said. "That's when I started running."

Two officers, armed with a shotgun and a handgun, killed two of the family's three dogs.

Moody told her story while standing with her hands shaking on a quiet block of Southeast 101st Avenue just north of Division Street. She said she warned the pit bulls' owners twice that the dogs were too aggressive. Last week, the dogs menaced her pregnant daughter, Moody said.

While Moody talked, one of the pit bulls' owners, Gladys Benson, came out of the house and answered reporters' questions, tears pooling in her eyes.

The dogs were normally chained, police said, but had been let loose for exercise and were fighting over a knuckle bone.

Her 7-year-old granddaughter tried to break them up but got bounced around. The girl's aunt, Kristina Benson, intervened and was attacked.

"It's painful," Gladys Benson said of her two dogs being shot. "They are wonderful dogs, loving dogs."

Benson had just finished talking when a third pit bull, Boutit, burst out of her house and took off, a black streak headed toward Division Street. Police and county animal control officers drew weapons. The reporters and cameramen scattered like a flock of pigeons. "It's not a gun, ma'am, it's just a Taser," one officer said to a distraught Benson.

Other officers sprinted down the street after Boutit. It disappeared in Powell Butte Nature Park, and its whereabouts were unknown Saturday night, said Portland Police Bureau spokesman Sgt. Brian Schmautz. Officers shot Boutit with Taser stun guns when it rushed them in the backyard, Schmautz said. But Boutit rolled over, knocked out the dart and ran through the house and out the front door.

Schmautz said the investigation is continuing, but the officers appear to have acted appropriately -- a conclusion Moody echoed wholeheartedly.

Gladys Benson said daughter Kristina Benson was released from the hospital after being treated for bite wounds and that her granddaughter is fine.

In recent months, pit bulls have attacked people and animals around the Portland area, prompting debate about whether they should be more controlled. The Legislature recently increased penalties for maintaining a dog who kills a human being.

Schmautz said animal control would decide what to do with the third dog if it is caught. Gladys Benson says she doesn't blame police for shooting the dogs.

"I'm grateful my daughter is safe," she said. The dogs "would never have hurt her purposefully. She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Scott Learn: 503-294-7657; scottlearn@news.oregonian.com.
August 08, 2005 02:43AM
Ore. lawmakers consider two dangerous dog bills

08:13 AM PST on Wednesday, March 9, 2005

Associated Press

SALEM -- Oregon lawmakers are considering two bills that would tighten state restrictions on dangerous dogs, and make it easier to prosecute people accused of involvement in dogfighting.

The bills, sponsored by Sen. Ryan Deckert, D-Beaverton, come after several highly publicized cases of pit bull attacks, and after former Portland Trail Blazer Qyntel Woods was linked to illegal dogfighting.

One of Deckert's bills would impose a uniform, statewide system of penalties against owners of dangerous dogs that bite people, pre-empting local laws that carry lesser penalties.

Currently, state law imposes a $500 fine for a first offense involving a dangerous dog; subsequent offenses carry a maximum penalty of 30 days in jail, up to a $1,250 fine or both.

Under Deckert's bill, a first offense by the owner of a dangerous dog could be punished by 30 days in jail, a fine of up to $1,250 or both. Subsequent offenses could result in one year's imprisonment, up to a $6,250 fine or both.

Another section of the legislation would require breeders of pit bulls, or pit bull mix dogs, to register with county animal control agencies. Failure to register would result in a fine of up to $50.

Kelly Peterson, a government affairs official with the Humane Society of the United States, said her organization opposes such "breed-specific" regulations.

"Registering a specific breed won't accomplish the task," she told The Oregonian. "Breed alone is not necessarily an indication of propensity to bite. That is a product of many factors. Dangerous dogs can come in all breeds."

Bob Stadel, manager of animal services in Washington County, also said he had some concerns about the proposal.

"It's not so clear cut to us that pit bulls are more dangerous than other breeds," he said.

Stadel said he would also like to maintain local flexibility in imposing penalties.

Deckert's other bill would create a new crime of possessing dogfighting paraphernalia. Dogfighting is illegal in Oregon, but there is no prohibition against possessing equipment that typically is used for dogfighting.

Prosecutors say dogfighting is often a difficult crime to prosecute in part because it requires the cooperation of witnesses who participated in an illegal activity.

A search of Woods' Lake Oswego home last October found pet prescription drugs, metal dog chains, a treadmill and other items that investigators described as "consistent of dogfighting or participation in dogfighting."

In January Woods pleaded guilty to misdemeanor animal abuse, but he was not charged with dogfighting, a felony that carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $125,000 fine. The Trail Blazers released the 23-year-old player minutes after the guilty plea.

August 09, 2005 03:31AM
that story is awful

i think some of those laws could be good, making people who have dangerous dogs more responsible.
still think breed specific legislation is a waste of time and prejudiced.. as they say above

blessed

February 18, 2006 06:28AM
In a follow up to Empress Love's original post about Kristine R. Crawford, the For Pits Sake founder, and subsequent posts:

This morning, February 17, 2006, at 1100 hrs in San Diego Superior Court, Judge A. Preckel, Ramona, San Diego County, California, the case "Kelly Falconer versus Kristine Rae Crawford", civil court case #SR008487, was heard in open court.

Kris Crawford did NOT show, however, she did contact the court telephonically, stating she had never heard of this case, that she'd only learned of the case the day before after a friend found it on the Internet. She requested a continuance, stating she had not been properly served.

Judge Preckel denied her request, stating that proof of service was shown, and proof of substituted service was accepted at her Los Gatos mail box. In file were also past attempts, sucessful mail services, and process services billings, receipts, and notes, as well as her California corporate record of address, and her current criminal court case information, including her home address as the address properly served.

Service was accepted, and the proceedings continued.

Allegations against Ms. Crawford are, as verbatim:

Why does the Defendant owe the Plaintiff money?

"Actual damages, pain and suffering, penalties for fraud, theft by deception, computer/website intrusion (California 502PC), and willfully damaged/erased content, as well as actual damages/financial loss for services rendered and received after fraudulently claiming cancer (housing, money, care, board, vet svcs), slander, harrassment, libel".

The judge heard, reviewed material in file, as well as accepted additional material, including documentation from Palomar Hospital admissions department from November 23, 2004; Kris's own handwritten statements authorizing care, training, and possession of her dogs; phone records; proof of service; and proof of damages.

Finding: SUSTAINED. Actual damages were calculated to be between $15,535.76 to $17,214.24.

AWARDED: California state civil/small claims court maximum, $5000.00, plus $92.00 in court costs.

JUDGMENT: $5,092.00 to Plaintiff Kelly Falconer, AGAINST Defendent Kristine Rae Crawford.

Kristine is also facing criminal charges in an unrelated case.

Criminal court case, "People versus Crawford, Kristine", San Mateo County, court case number SM341062A, for two counts of criminal embezzlement (Count 01, California penal code 508/487(a), PC 17, and Count 02, CA PC 508) are still slated for jury trial. Next criminal court hearing date is March 02, 2006, 9:00AM, Department AR. Jury trial is set for April 03, 2006, at 9:00AM, Department JT.

Case name: Kristine R. Crawford
Case number: SM341062A

Charges:

001 PC 508/487(A)
01 PC 17
002 PC 508

Violation date: 09/28/2004

PC 508 - 508. Every clerk, agent, or servant of any person who fraudulently appropriates to his own use, or secretes with a fraudulent intent to appropriate to his own use, any property of another which has come into his control or care by virtue of his employment as such clerk, agent, or servant, is guilty of embezzlement.

Two counts of embezzlement: one for the theft of a Fender Passport amplifier and speaker system, and the second charge is defined below.

PC 487(a) - 1997. 487a. (a) Every person who shall feloniously steal, take, transport or carry the carcass of any bovine, caprine, equine, ovine, or suine animal or of any mule, jack or jenny, which is the personal property of another, or who shall fraudulently appropriate such property which has been entrusted to him, is guilty of grand theft.

The charge in this case is for the theft of a human teaching skeleton, stolen from the Biology Department of Menlo College.

PC 17 - Codifier for felony/misdeameanor.

On January, 2005, Kristine R. Crawford was picked up, detained, and questioned by Atherton Police Department at her place of employment*.

*NOTE: In December, 2004, Kristine sent out a newsletter on behalf of her For Pits Sake organization stating that she was unemployable, and out of work, due to a hand injury. That is, and was not true. She was at her normal course and place of employment during the week of January 21, 2005, when she was detained by police in regard to thefts reported by Menlo College on/or during September, 28, 2004.

After being questioned, she was escorted to her residence, where she ultimately turned the stolen items over to police.

In August, 2005, she was arrested, charged with two counts of embezzlement, and continues to face those criminal accusations today. She has listed a false address, ie, a fictitious apartment, as her home address, and has given a third differing date of birth. No one really seems to know exactly WHO Kristine Rae Crawford really is...including Kristine.

Criminal case docket information is publicly available. For copies of criminal files and related court records:

San Mateo County Courts
Superior Court Southern Branch
400 County Center, 4th Floor
Redwood City
650-363-4302

Lastly, Kristine resigned from one of her SAR teams after an Internal Affairs investigation began, and has since suspended from others until the resolution of her criminal arrest and complaint. If you are donating money to support her SAR efforts, you should be aware that your money is going directly into her own pocket - and most likely, always has.

Kristine Rae Crawford, Kristine Crawford, Kris Crawford, For Pits Sake, For Pitts Sake, forpitssake, Tahoe, Dakota, Cheyenne, SAR Pits, sarpits
knicole612
March 03, 2006 09:54PM
I am Kris Crawford's sister and am horrified by what has been written about her. I have spoken to Kimberly about this and we, her family, are in the process of trying to uncover the truth. I would appreciate that no more be written about her - the damage has been done. For all of her faults, whatever they may be, she has done some good things that I hope are not forgotten. If what is being said is true - let me be the first to apologize on her behalf.
Kris
March 03, 2006 11:25PM
It's called "Protection Training", most dogs that were bred to fight need to be trained this way so that they are not scared, when scared or threatened, they bite.

dobes are my favorite "vicious" dog. Mine was trained by dreadlocked african men in the bay area, did a good job. People from all over the country go to them, best trainers around. They only train, dobes, rotts, shepards, pitts, bulldogs, the usual types that scare people.

& I don't even want to hear about Dobermine's being Hitler's dog or whatever the ****, beautifull & smart doggies. so F-off in advance.
Kris
March 03, 2006 11:30PM
& I'm not kris crawford or whoever the f@*$!
Just someone who loves doggies more than people, kidding. Geezus.
jb welda
Re: Petition to ban dogs who bite people
March 03, 2006 11:32PM
kris: do you have esp?

one love
jah bill
March 23, 2006 07:11PM
Pair pull woman from pit bulls' attack

By Christine Vovakes -- Bee Correspondent
Published 2:15 am PST Wednesday, March 22, 2006
Story appeared in Metro section, Page B2

ORLAND - Two pit bulls mauled a 53-year-old Orland woman outside her home Saturday afternoon, officials said.
The dogs knocked down Amy Williams, biting her face, head, neck and both arms, Police Chief Bob Pasero said.

Two Orland men, Dennis Ferry, 35, and Richard Hicks, 34, heard her screams from across the street and raced to her aid, pulling the dogs off and allowing Williams to get safely inside her house, Pasero said.

Williams was taken by ambulance to Enloe Medical Center in Chico, where she was treated and later released.

The Police Department is asking the Glenn County district attorney to charge the dogs' owner, Jose Sandoval, 25, of Orland, with allowing vicious dogs to run at large, a potential felony, Pasero said. He added that Sandoval recently was cited by animal control officials for allowing the same two pit bulls to run loose.

Animal control officials impounded the dogs, which will be euthanized and tested for rabies.

March 23, 2006 08:28PM
vicious dogs should not run atlarge, i agree..

and we all know that not all pitbulls are vicious, but thanks for adding to this thread taht i wish i had never started.

March 23, 2006 08:46PM
well, I fi one don't know dat, Love, frankly I hav NO TRUST for any pitbull... nevah know when dem a gwan OFF!!!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 23, 2006 11:01PM
of course not all pits are mean, but which one's are and which one's are not? Just like people. Maybe they should ban people from Denver.
March 23, 2006 11:04PM
I trust a strange human more than I trust ANY pitbull...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 24, 2006 12:37AM
i overstand that Ras. I dont trust other peoples dogs, only the ones i have known since puppydome. My girls are my protection... they trust me and i trust them...

they dont trust other people much...

unless they see that i trust them..

but i do think its screwed up taht people spend thousands on dogs and all when there re people who dont even have bare essentials..

although there are some people who act lower than a dog..
they still deserve bare essentials.

i promise though, i really will put my dogs in another room if you even want to come over and watch a game with Aaron, i think he misses your company
and its not so doggy here because i got a new vacuuuuummm!!!

bless

March 24, 2006 03:14PM
yes Ras I agree, humans in general we can read when they get agitated and possibly reason with them if they do, but with a beast there is no reasoning.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login