Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Story tellin time!

Posted by Alexsis 
Story tellin time!
May 04, 2004 11:01AM
Hay all...
I need a positive story today please.
Can someone describe the different vibes that flow from moment to moment at snwmf? This will be my 1st festival ever so all I can do at this point is fantasize about how beautiful & lovely everything will be. The beautiful people...the awesome smells of food...the little uns playing every where...smiling faces....all of the things that I will learn... that kind of stuff!!

Story tellin time!

Zana
Re: Story tellin time!
May 04, 2004 11:56AM
Last year was my first. I'm not much of a story teller but I love to share my experience.
I got there on Friday morning and you could FEEL the exitment in the air. Everyone is setting up their campsites and meeting neighbors while we wait for the doors to open at 6(?) Once the sun starts to set then you really start to feel the party kick in. I remember so many cars pulling in after dark. There was a steady stream of them.
My camp area was pretty mellow friday night. But there is nothing like waking up after a night of awsome music and knowing you get to do it all over again. Saturday, music all day and all night.
I just want to relax on the hillside all day and listen to the music....bliss!
Vendor village is a great place to go inbetween sets. So much great stuff for sale. I bought the best insense, 30 for $1. Little kids coming up to you, trying to sell some rocks or crystals...cute raffamuffins.
I love to watch people dance to the music. They ones that are really feeling it. Great vibes.
May 04, 2004 12:13PM
Sooo awesome Zana. Thanks you so much!!
Im so excited!
May 04, 2004 12:59PM
HEARING JUNIOR MURVIN DO ' POLICE & THIEVES' & HEARING THE AUDIENCE
SWEETLY BEING HIS CHORUS SINGING 'OH YEAHHH!' MOST NICELY.
May 06, 2004 08:13AM
what..no more stories?
May 06, 2004 12:01PM
Sister Alexis.. it's like a little village, with food vendors, craft and clothing vendors and two stages so everywhere you trod you are hearing music, there is a big indoor theater where there are soundsystems all day... I remember a couple years ago sitting on the hillside at the main stage, it was my first year and it was SNWMF's first year at Angel's camp and these huge giant puppets go walking by, I am talking about 9 feet maybe larger, and they are Rastamen puppets... all these youths start running up to them, some getting scared, some wanting to shake hands... well they come every year so I am sure you'll see them!
Blessed
JUAN LOVE
May 06, 2004 01:37PM
i think they are called(sp) illuminated fools. they are prety cool lookin. last year my girl friend, her friend and i all danced with one durring barrington's set. all i can say is i love this place called snwmf and to all new commers get ready to fall in love too!!!! one love-juan love
May 06, 2004 01:37PM
story time, does it have to be SNWMF related?
JUAN LOVE
May 06, 2004 01:43PM
lets hear a story bun- any story. one love-juan love
May 06, 2004 01:58PM
Yes, All very true!
Last year was my 3rd year at SN. It Was the most awsome year yet,(Besides this one) I went with my 5 best friends. I Remember walking on a side trial behind the venders tents. and wittnessed one of the most real moving Drum circles id ever seen. about 30 Drummers in one fat circle and about 60 people around that, people taking turns dancing with the riddims of all the drummers and it was one of the most uplifting moments of my lifes history at SNWMF!!
After sunset that night I discoverd "The MaGiK Palace!" Once i expierences that by myself I had to go and get my friends, I went back to my camp and they were all there chillin and getting sleepy
so i draged them out to the Palace and had fun in there for at least a good Hour.
I Love this Festivel so so so much!
And i can not wait for this years celebration!
The 9 foot puppets, The one guy in a crazy suit with a crazy hat and crazier toys.
What an awsome place.

And I just rememberd my 1st year, also the first year at angels camp, they had this huge mystic metal contraption. It was like a big wieght scale where you lie on one side on a cot and they way out the otherside with this skinny key board player and Stones in a basket! Theyd get you moving in slow cirlces, you lay their with head phones on and eyes closed. and 4 other dudes walked with next to you playing chimes under you and bells next to you and all the cool key board effects
And with such grate memories of this wounderful contraption it saddens me to say, I never had the self courage to do it, but boy it was fasination to watch.

And then of course my 2nd year was the cool mystic Fire breathing Dragon of junk!
=)
Much love
-PKW
May 06, 2004 02:37PM
WOW!!! SUCH AWESOME STORIES!!! Right on! If you can, keep em’ commin. I really enjoy hearing about your experiences!! Spiny thingy?!? Wow...prolly wouldn't try it but marvel at the idea!!
I'm actually going to bring my drum & play. I’m really looking forward to the drum circles!!! RIGHT ON beautiful folks! I’m sooo excited!

Bun bun, you make me laugh so much! Please, any positive stories are welcome!!!

So much love to you all!

Alexsis
May 06, 2004 03:42PM
OK, i'll stick to festival stories...for now.

2nd year at angels camp, early Saturday morning a car pulls up next to our spot with a keg of Sierra Nevada in an ice filled trunk. This old hippy gets out with his little kid. The little kid walk over and asks us if we want a beer. Being a morning beer drinker I happily said, Yes Please! 3-4-5. deal! So after the first round, we decided to barter a little. The sun was coming out and starting to heat up.
I suggested a trade for shade under my canopy and a chair to sit in. We ended up filling up the one liter water bottle up...a lot. We left for the shows and came back a few hours later. The car was still there along with a russian couple. Most of our food was gone. I guess we ended up paying for all that beer one way or another, but at least there is the story.

The moral of this story is if a hippy with a trunk full of ice cold sierra nevada beer pull up at your camp site, make sure you drink a lot of it, there is no better deal around. Oh yea, did I forget to mention the...89th key? the man had lots and lots of 89th keys drippin and droppin all over.
Ganja Money
May 06, 2004 03:52PM
Reggae Town!!
Tell us more!
May 10, 2004 09:43AM
C'mon I know you people got some good storys.
Share um
Zana
May 10, 2004 11:30AM
You know, some of my stories just shouldn't be shared winking smiley They are some of the "over indulgence" ones. I have a few of those, LOL. I hope to not be so indulgent this year.
Try using a portapotty that is filled to the rim at 3am. Not fun...but funny.
I thought it was pretty cool to watch the people doing yoga in the morning at the small stage. The music was so relaxing, sitar and didgeridoo. There was one guy that was really good. He held a headstand for awhile. Legs straight up in the air.
Friday night, I was at the top of the hill and Capleton was playing his last song. He was jumping in the air in time to the beat and everyone in the crowd was jumpin too. Just a huge wave of people on the same rhythm. What a site!!!

Hey, who saw or rode on the electro peacock motorcart? That thing was way cool!

I'm brewing several batches of homebrew to bring with me though. I'm still not that good but hey, it only cost about $20 for 5 gallons of beer that tastes pretty darn good.

I think there should be a rule of no loud noises in the campground before 8:00am. Wouldn't that be wonderful!! I'm bringing industrial strength ear plugs.
pat
May 10, 2004 12:19PM
haha good stories.. bun, that is a great moral to live bywinking smiley

but, I don't get the 89th key... hmmmmm.....is it worth explaining to me? if not, o well, I just won't get it... maybe I'm just slow.
May 10, 2004 12:22PM
check for the "muse" posted by yours truly.
Kalalau6
May 10, 2004 12:46PM
SNWMF is gonna be *awesome* this year---Can't wait to dance my little worries away and let rays of pure joy shine out...Will you join me?

p.s.- Hi Alexsis!!!!!
alexsis
May 10, 2004 01:18PM
Hello lovely ray of sunshine! I can feel your warmth on my face....
pat
May 10, 2004 01:22PM
ohhhh, I get it. the whole "drippin and droppin all over" part threw me off. but yea, those old hippy guys are always sportin the 89th... hehe, sometimes even the 90th and 91st.. but that is a whole different story...

anyways...
May 10, 2004 01:35PM
i don't get it. help me out bun n cheese.
May 10, 2004 01:53PM
there are 88 keys on a standard piano. the 89th key does not exist, same as illegal activities at the fest, they do not exist.
May 10, 2004 02:10PM
Of course not, illegal activity - at the fest, Naww.

hmm.... I forgot all about the mountian pile of dung peeking out of the toilet rims of all the portapotties. lol. I was camped right by one last year, hehe we would warn the girls of going in there and laugh at the guys who came out with tears in there eyes.
Peace - love and Clean Porta potties

Happy Trails
Pale Ryder
May 10, 2004 02:12PM
Yeah Prince, I remember when there were piles of dung on the floor of the portapotties, so you had to watch your step, which got kinda hard at night. I remember a tear or two in my eye that year!
May 10, 2004 02:12PM
oh that's why i didn't get it - 'cuz its illegal. thanks still kinda hazy from playin' that 89 key piano this weekend.
May 10, 2004 02:14PM
hey - bigupzz to the portapotty cleaners - last year was a big improvement. still not ideal but, ya know, its a shitty job.
Pale Ryder
May 10, 2004 02:15PM
Big up to the man with the hose in em hand, dirtweed good call!!
May 10, 2004 03:54PM
It has really improved over the first year at angel's camp, ooooowie!!!Last year wasn't so bad at all.
May 10, 2004 04:23PM
Yes I,

You cant even start to compare them to any year of ROTR porta's.

My favorite thought was "how the hell do you get crap all of the way onto the top of the toilet paper dispenser"

BIG UPS to the Honey Pot Man!!!!!
alexsis
May 10, 2004 04:28PM
See, the 2 things I'm worried about is the heat & the portapotties!!!
Funny stuff ya'll!

So what’s' reggae town?

I have a short story.
I met the nicest peeps at this radio station that I volunteer for once inna while. On Friday nite, I have the lovely opportunity to hang with Suzanne & DJ Tomah at their casa. He spun records for me allll night long!!! Man, that was more than awesome! I got to get all nice & comfy on the couch & just trip to all of the new stuff that I hadn’t heard before. & before I went to bed, he gave me a cd mix of Adrian Sherwood. Man, that was good times. Good people.

BLESS!!!

May 10, 2004 08:19PM
Stories...
waking up at sunrise to jog the hills behind the stage and finding peaceful quiet amongst the trees and singing birds...
beuatiful people with families and children running from camp to camp, laughing and playing in the dirt...
meeting artists and getting free backstage passes after burning fire with righteous cats...
great times in the dancehall with StoneLove beating the walls down...
and if you don't want to see the portapotties, just don't eat so much-try a raw foods diet for the weekend, it won't hurt, and you might find that your body actually likes the pure energy from the earth's bounty.
been to the show for 5 years straight, I gave up on ROTR a while ago becuz the vibes can't compare-too many foreign powders and synthetic substances in people's bodies...
May 11, 2004 10:09AM
A-Men Brothers

Happy Trails
pat
May 11, 2004 11:51AM
raw foods would make you stay aways from the portapotty??? hmmmmmmmm
Acacia
May 11, 2004 12:59PM
I don't think so.
May 11, 2004 01:24PM
Don't raw foods have the most fiber?
May 11, 2004 01:52PM
raw foods give your #2 a different boo-kay. not necessarily better, just different.
May 11, 2004 02:22PM
Dirtweed,
You talk about it like a fine wine
" I'm getting aromas of sulpher and acidity, balanced with earthy and vegetal overtones in the boo-kay....... I'd give this one an 89"
Ha Ha
May 11, 2004 02:27PM
making the best of a bad shituation.
May 11, 2004 02:43PM
lol
May 11, 2004 11:46PM
actually once your body is clean of all the clogged up stuff, then it will absorb most of the material provided by the raw stuff and burn that for energy. this will not work for carnivores...
and if y'all had any game, you would use the extremely clean bathrooms on the inside of the event. there's showers and everything, if you know where to find 'em ....
portapotties are for those with shitty desires...
pale ryder
May 12, 2004 10:11AM
Since when does it take game to use a bathroom? Those of us that actually camp at the festival, dont have access to the extremely clean bathrooms that you speak of after hours. Dik, your name says it all....
May 12, 2004 08:45PM
Such negativity, oh pale one. I'm camping out too, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy some of the finer luxuries available at SNWMF. The game part refers to being able to get what you want, and not just what's offered. Some have it, some don't. Enjoy the porta's, but my rear will touch only the finest of polished ceramic toilets come festival weekend. Offer your sincere apologies, pale ryder, and perhaps I shall share the secret whereabouts of reggae toilet wonderland.
And that's Mr. Mahogani to you.
jb welda
May 12, 2004 09:51PM
its a pretty sad situation when the best stories people can come up with have to do with taking a dump.

for me it has to be checking linval thompson rehearsing in the little red barn and me asking him if he remembers "lump sum" and then hearing him break into it for me. big up linval.

or me asking horsemouth if i could take his pic at the drums and him saying sure, then lighting a spliff i gave him and smiling while i snap away.

one love
jah bill
JUAN LOVE
May 12, 2004 10:34PM
last year on sunday i was throwing a plate away at a garbage can rite near the press tent. so i look over and low and behold barrington levy selling t-shirts and sighning autographs.so you know i had to go over and say yo. i must have talked to him for about 10 min or so. all i can say is what an irie soul.took a pic with him and every thing.no where else in the world could this had happend exceped for snwmf. one love-juan love
jb welda
May 12, 2004 10:59PM
heres another barrington story, the year before last, after he got offstage, a bunch of people surrounded him and started asking for radio ids etc. at first he was kind of reluctant, like he had to get out of there, but then he started to relax and proceeded to record IDs and scat sing in general for a half hour or so, getting more and more imaginative as he went along. the guy is a champ in my book. one of my favorite singers for a long time too.

one love
jah bill
May 13, 2004 11:29AM
Reggae time, a time to share love peace and joy. A placewhere we come together to praise the most high in song and dance. The only thing one needs to bring is a smile, a gift of sharing love peace and joy with your bro's and sises.
The music will be as alaway, wonderful and uplifting, the stars will be bright at night and there is love in the air, so everywhere you walk you will feel the fibe.
This is what brings us together.
If you smoke it, do it for transe and to here the most high only.
Praise be onto the king, see you at the fest.
Love Peace and Joy
Jay
pale ryder
May 13, 2004 04:44PM
Dik Mahogani, sorry for if I was rude, and I wasn't meaning to be negative. Its just a sensitve chit-u-ation for me, ha. However, if we all knew about your secret spot, it wouldn't be so special for you anymore. I guess I will just have to keep on pluggin my nose whenever nature calls. Oh yeah its story telling time!
Remember when Buju played in 2001, that was my fondest memory. CHillin with my two close friends on the steep slope of the ampatheater, watching the huge crowd gather when he came on stage. A fine layer of sweet smelling smoke hovering above the energetic crowd. My feet could not stay still, and we made our way into the crowd as Buju sang rastamon vibration. Thanks for the memories, keep em coming.....
May 13, 2004 06:58PM
Irie vibes always!
My best story has got to be from the first time I saw Midnite perform. I heard the riddim from across the park, and it was so strong it just pulled me to the stage like I was in a trance. Their whole set was like an out of body meditation, no physical attachment except the heart beat of the bass guitar.
And pale one, to keep from pluggin that nose just get cozy with the volunteers at the t shirt stand up the hill from the main stage. They have always shown me luv when in need. Make sure you have something sweet to barter, and you should have no problems.
But remember, shhhhhhhhhh! It's a secret ;•)
May 13, 2004 08:34PM
Greetings
I had to hit the vine as this is a Barrington story, about 2 hours after his set at a reggae sunsplash -damm I can't remember what year- one of my friends was vending T-shirts and someone took one and they were chasing the scum so Barrington and I started chasing him caught him. without any problem I might say. Barrington can be kind of imposing if he wants to. Then he gives my friend back his T-shirt he took back and then gave one of the sunsplash t-shirts for my friend ,his wife, and two kids.
His one of the best,,
One Love
Al

May 13, 2004 10:48PM
Definitely the best story so far, africamix!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login