Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

For Peter Levi & Jah Bill

Posted by reggaemusicstore 
reggaemusicstore
For Peter Levi & Jah Bill
June 03, 2005 12:56PM
Peter/JB, I just caught the Reggae In Babylon video Peter was talking about on here a few weeks ago. What a wicked few mins of film that session of Coxsone & Shaka at Acklam Hall was. Brought it all back to me, seeing every inch of wall space lined with boxes. Must have been very early in the session just as they were signing on cos the lights were still on & there was just 3 people skanking out in the middle. You know later on there'd have been about 100 stepping madmen in the middle.... And the one deck business, original style and still the best. Respect, Steve....
jb welda
Re: For Peter Levi & Jah Bill
June 03, 2005 01:02PM
yeah man that was plenty cool, esp those guys trying to hide their faces. i would suspect it was pretty early on in the evening too because the place seemed pretty well lit, you couldnt even tell the camera's undoubtedly bright lights were shining in everyones face.

im glad you requested i make you a copy of it too steve, allowed me the luxury of sitting around and watching it again. there are a few other great things on those tapes but for me i had a bit of trouble not knowing german that was heavily dubbed over at least one film there. you could catch parts of english coming out of the interviewees mouths but then the heavy loud german would drown out the rest!

one love
jah bill
June 03, 2005 01:09PM
>yes steve
The i* remember iNi conversation about the 1 turntable style ruling your area. i* thought about it hard for a while. @ first i* was against the idea cuase it clashed with iNi current system. then i* thought sum more & picked up a dub & threw it on 1 table & started @ it. surprise, surprise i* starting to like dis style & have been on pratice with it for a few months now behind scenes. iNi am putting together sum of those recorded session's pon a disk for reveiw. thanx for the inspiration 'AGAIN'!
JAH WARRIOR THE RULER!
next to Shaka ofcourse, he he*
-RASpects+
June 03, 2005 01:49PM
Steve the guy trying to hide his face was pebbles who played with sufferers sound and then coxsone, he was a top MC back then ,but that was worzel talking over save the children -keithus i & the voices of the trininty and ethiopian kings,yes love the legs man throwing down ,i wonder if there is more footage,you can see shaka there ,do you remember shaka had some young guys who carried his box them ,my wife kelly who went to these dances also ,said she knew nuff faces,acklem hall was dread back then,we laughed beacuse when dance was done all the mc never wanted to carry box ,and when you had to load those big van ,boy that was hard work.I would not have missed it though,and i still say although things were dread back then,looking back i was a part of something ,although i can waffle on sometimes
reggaemusicstore
June 03, 2005 01:50PM
Jahmeek, it's interesting how there's such a difference in style between the US & UK sounds. The dancehall sounds here do 2 deck continous mixing now but if a roots sound tried that the people would either walk out or else probably start flinging bottles. You also have to understand that a good MC can easily bridge the few seconds gap between changing records on one deck & it sounds good. Certain roots sounds here use 2 dats or CDs or minidiscs but not for continuous mixing, only cos the gap to change over just using one of those is too long. My bredren Steve from Zions Gate in Seattle told me that when he brought Shaka to Seattle a few years ago & Shaka picked up the needle for the first time to change records, the whole place went silent & people stared & just couldn't believe it, but they got into it after a while. Maybe I've been in this business for too long but for me 2 decks is for disco music, not reggae!
June 03, 2005 01:52PM
I Love Dat Movie
reggaemusicstore
June 03, 2005 01:54PM
Yes Peter, I have nuff personal experience of carrying boxes out at the end of the 8 hour session, driving 200 miles from Leeds back to London etc & after x amount of years doing that I'd had enough. Funny how a lot of people call themselves "sounds " nowadays & possess nothing more than a box of records & a couple of decks...
June 03, 2005 02:00PM
Steve i still have my Gerrard 301 i'll never part with it, the older h something ones look the dreadest, but the 301 is HI-fi style
June 03, 2005 02:02PM
>yes Warroir
can picture the dance rite now with a gap & no MC. people here would probley laugh @ u straight up. dem pretty rude here aswell. but what i*ve been doing is using a loop, sampler & a extra line for extra sample's. u can catch trails off the arms in motion ,ya kno*, ha ha. so i* added up on theory by cutting gap a lill'.
>your bredren in Seattle owe's iNi for 4-returned records & refuse's to pay for couple years now. it's a small world after ALL.
>the word disco is also very mis-understood vs. there aswell.......
>keep on moving^
-RASpects+
reggaemusicstore
June 03, 2005 02:03PM
Peter I can remember standing next to Shakas amp case watching the deck bounce 2 inches up & down from the force of the bass without jumping & wondering how that could be so. Only the garrard...
June 03, 2005 02:21PM
to true the whole life of a sound was every day ,from going record shop ,standing in the crowd,when a record was played the hands went up and if you were lucky you got the tune, i would spend my wages on new music ,some shop's would put music in a bag and you would sort them out later ,big respect john Dub Vendor on the stall or from his mums house back then and kool's, music house, youth over Queens market, there was nuff shops .the amount of money you spent on your sound you never made the money back , it was just the love of it ,people come to a dance but never know what it took to put that sound there,and the work stringing up, ah we must have been mad ,and some sucker says your sound is soft beacuse you don't play the tune he wants.Or some one cuts your wire and blows your fuses ,i feel for anyone who went through it ,but it will always be in you ,and even now when i see a stack of boxes throwing down bass the hair still stands on end .ah who say go deh
jb welda
June 03, 2005 02:35PM
i wish the dancehall at snwmf was full of boxes like that, thats all i can say. sound is ok but not groundpounding. maybe it will get stronger this year.

but i got to say its a whole lot better than most ive seen lately, just cant get a vibe out of two boxes with 12" woofs in them, or even 15s.

rodigan the other night sounded decent, pretty good actually, even though visually the boxes werent much impressive.

one love
jah bill
GEORGE COSTANZA
June 03, 2005 02:47PM
"the amount of money you spent on your sound you never made the money back , it was just the love of it" people forget this simple fact
June 03, 2005 02:53PM
if you send the right bass signal to the bass boxes, not driving them but round you can shake a room with very little ,don't have it to loud the tops do that ,i remember there was a 15ins tannoy speaker that could go deep ,but had a duel cone with an adjustable crossover ,peckings had them in the shop and thay had bass .most had them for mid and tops thay cost a lot of money back then,but i still cannot understand all this 15 k sounds upward
June 03, 2005 02:58PM
>yes George hear dat 1 real clear* cant fashion dub with-out $um passion!
"Funny how a lot of people call themselves 'sounds' nowadays & possess nothing more than a box of records & a couple of decks..."
>yes RMS hear dat 1 real clear* mek sounds bring dem ting or no play & C'wha happens for dancehall innah SNWMF-06'(no rentals either*)
cant fit another peice of equipment in the i*'z car or would build up here. dont have 25 G's for good service truck either while vinyl price's i*tinue to climb a ALL time high^while ecomony still burns like a bush.......
-RASpects+
reggaemusicstore
June 03, 2005 03:04PM
Jahmeek, like I say, big difference in sound culture between here & the USA. You could not play here without an MC, period. Peter, yes I remember the days of "hands up who wants this tune" at Kools & Vendor, it was almost like a session in there certain times back then. In one sense its good that the technology has opened things up to allow more people to make music, but at the same time the quality of certain things have diminished due to that. Dubplates used to be something really special, nobody except sound man could get them & they cost a fortune, nowadays every man & his dog has a computer in their bedroom churning out 10 dubs a day. Jah Bill, the dub/roots sounds here are so unbelievably heavy, the bass is almost enough to crush your ribcage, and club Pa's sound like a portable radio in comparison. That's it from me for tonight, been up since 5.00 am & off to bed now!
GEORGE COSTANZA
June 03, 2005 03:29PM
old style Dubplates were something/still are something very very special to me,the plates that come out now have there purpose but are really a big joke in comparison to the awesome plates of the 70s.
June 03, 2005 03:30PM
>thanx for input Steve even though this thread was suppose 2B4 Bill & Levi*
-nuff RASpects+
zoki
June 03, 2005 03:33PM
How many rotten apples does it take for all the good artists 2 slow dem posting?
Author: Jahmeek (---.nas26.tempe1.az.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 06-01-05 17:36

used up every topic text space available on dat 1 .......
-RASpects+
June 03, 2005 03:34PM
>let me guezz u r winding up for another dildo joke zoki?
>1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
zoki
June 03, 2005 03:40PM
You said it, Jahmeek.

Daniel, "Call the police, the police, Jahmeek gonna make another joke".
June 03, 2005 08:23PM
To all who care about what you bredren speak of.............hopefully we can forward this kind of vibes in the US in the future. I'm not giving up. Ites. Respect to you all.
-Stevo
Ava
June 03, 2005 10:29PM
I hear that thunder rolls
and see the morning bright
I hear a bird sing in sweet deligth

***** don't know what comes after that - the chorus goes **********

and I say
oh what a beautiful morning
and I say
oh what a beautiful day

These are the lyrics to one of the most haunting reggae tunes I've ever heard.

I think it's by Lacksley Castell (I realize there are a zillion variations on the spelling of his name). Am I correct? If so, do you know what CD this song is on?

Is it called What A Great Day or Morning Glory.

Someone put me out of my misery please - it's just a great tune. The world can never be a sad place with music like this in it.
June 04, 2005 12:50AM
It is indeed "Morning Glory" by Lacksley Castell and is on the Negus Roots LP of the same name. Unfortunately it hasn't been reissued on CD.
Ava
June 04, 2005 07:34AM
Shame............. I love this tune.
reggaemusicstore
June 04, 2005 01:11PM
Jahmeek my post was intended for Peter & JB but not for them alone; & it's always a pleasure to read words from AZ's finest smiling smiley

Peter looking at that video again I reckon it was shot before Shaka had even signed on cos Coxsone runs 2 tunes & in those days by the time both sounds had signed on it was pure one fe one business. That reminds me, you must have witnessed sessions right from the start when each sound signed on. The expectation was part of the vibes, wondering what they'd sign on with. I always liked hearing sounds sign on, how they'd tune up the set differently, coxsone used to do a lot of sweeping with the eq & build it up gradually but shaka's pre amp had less controls & he never really operated like Coxsone, just cut out the bass at the start or ran pure bassline on a dub. I remember when Shaka signed on with his first tune him or his crew would walk round the room listening to every box to make sure it was firing properly then when he was sure everything was right he'd turn it up & boom the whole place was shaking down. From the minute Shaka started playing the whole vibes changed. No sound could test, even tho' Coxsone were bad and I rated them heavily.

Peter do you remember the skanking competitions, when you'd get 2 man challenging each other in the middle to see who could do the most energetic athletic stepping? I can remember seeing man bouncing up & down doing pressups on the floor at Shaka, fists punching the air, legs kicking up to the ceiling, complete physical madness. There was a CD doing the rounds last year of DJ Stryda from Bristol interviewing Iration Steppas, Mark Iration & Dennis Rootical. They were talking about how the original days of Shaka, Coxsone, Tubbys etc influenced them to start the sound, all very interesting. Some very good writing back in the day by Penny Reel too, I remember a wicked piece he wrote about Fatman. There's a lot of material floating about somewhere and this is a serious subject which deserves documenting in some form or other. It's also a very English thing too cos it all happened here, not in JA & I'm pretty sure the dances here were unique & totally different to the vibes at the big outdoor lawns in JA at that time.

Peter, Jahmeek or anyone else, are there any sounds in the US as we know them in England, in terms of a big truck load of boxes, pre amp, tons of power amps etc or does everyone over there play on club PA's? Funnily enough there's a guy in Bermuda of all places called Ras Archie, he has a sound & I think he used to be with Humble Taffari, anyway he runs nothing but UK roots on his sound in Bermuda. Comes to London every year to check everyone here for music. Amazing that that's going on in Bermuda.....
June 04, 2005 01:47PM
>yes i* Warroir
heard that interveiw with iration talking about dem dayz. i* remember dennis or sum1 mention how alot of people thought Shaka waz a mad-man cause he used ear wrenching sirens n' such to twist up the dub back then. but nowdays every1 useing the same effect pon dem system to livley up the joint. r' we living in a world gone mad? he ha.
>as far as i* know there is no traveling sounds in aMOREika doing anyting @ a UK level. even more strange is alot of people who just call dem self dj's dont even own dem own turn-tables much less a amp or speakers. when ever i* do a party it never fails sum anxious spinner wanting to tweek the knobs will almost beg 2get on the decks with either sum house or hip-hop cross-over crap. most here really dont know sound culture(just raves)& it really not dem fault 2B un-influenced.
in case if any1 wants 2kno this is 1 of reasons i* dont claim a 'dj' name.
there a few club's with booming systems and sum efferts to set it up @ special warehouse's for events. but as far as a GIANT truck driving arouN the lands setting up a crew just iz not happining around here where people still trying hard to tell differnce between bashment dancehall & what the hell a dancehall is really suppose 2B about including the sound style it filled with during dis reggae fusion.
BRING THE DUB*
-RASpects+
reggaemusicstore
June 04, 2005 02:30PM
Thanks for the info Jahmeek. I can understand that it doesn't happen in lots of parts of the US but I'm amazed that it isn't happening in cities like NY or Miami which I know have a large Jamaican population cos I'm sure there must be just as many Jamaicans in those cities as there are in London & they must have the same background of the music thru their parents & families etc. Also I should point out there are lots of big dancehall sounds here too, Saxon, Luv Injection etc but they have their own big sounds too & I would have expected the US equivalents to have the same. Maybe it is just a UK thing after all. Respect...
June 04, 2005 02:42PM
>yeh mon dem have sum crucial sounds in miami & NYC but dem dont travel the equipment coast to coast. mayB dem to lazy to carry thousands of pounds(us measure he he) un-countable # of miles. i* first guess. but with this golden oppertunity to B so UPFRONT pon area & mek it happen with-out much compitition, i* cant imagine it being like dis forever. i* hope^
-RASpects+
Gordon
June 04, 2005 02:54PM
"Some very good writing back in the day by Penny Reel too, I remember a wicked piece he wrote about Fatman. There's a lot of material floating about somewhere and this is a serious subject which deserves documenting in some form or other"

Fi real. I'd be first in the queue for a history of sound systems book written by people who were there at the time.

Respect

Gordon
June 04, 2005 05:54PM
whats up steve and all ,yes loved it when the crowd backed up and man would fling some legs ,i would just be rocking over by a box some where,i used to shuffle ,you know, you would drop your hankie do the splits pick it up a bit like the northern soul thing with james brown moves thrown in ,you would face of and man would try to trip you up ,nuff scuffling went on ,this was not a shaka thing though ,and there was a dance called the chucky you would move your sholders up and down like you were chucking some thing,your right steve shaka never signed on yet he was just looking around .some of the faces look like thay just wanted the lights of and get on with it .remember the fashion back then ,topper,bally or grants shoes some guys had lean shoes worn down on the heel ,so thay would lean thay never bought new shoes ,stright cut trousers 'tonics' with flap back pockets so you can have your kerchife ,[hankie] sticking out it was the style [honest] zip ajusters on the waiste band ,the leg length cut so thay kiss the top of your shoes, the best tailor was roseman in dalston and an Italian ganzie gabbachie,cecil-gee with suede trim on the collars and pockets and a cap or crown wot ever you want to call it ,them times you would dress up to go dance,if you never looked crisp woman would not dance with you ,but shaka dance was different the dreads had there own style a lot of combat stuff and hush puppy boots,this was very much an English thing .There was a film called pressure there was a scene with fat man sound, my wife kelly was in the crowed ,ive been looking for this film for years have you seen it
reggaemusicstore
June 04, 2005 10:17PM
Peter, yes I've seen Pressure years ago, directed by Horace Ove I think but I can't remember much about it, I'll have to try & get hold of it somewhere, I'm sure it was shown on TV here once
dub collective
June 05, 2005 08:16PM
Just heard some sound tapes from Humble Tafari & Wild Fiyah Sound - That sound plays well heavy with great modern roots and dub. Really excellent selecting in terms of building up a session and drawing tunes very wisely. I was very impressed. I'm not sure exactly where he is based out of but they are some of the best tapes I've heard in quite some time. Highlights would have to be some Naphtali Dub Plates I've never heard.

Steve - As I remembered you had some Naphtali Dubplate Sound Clips on your site - I just went back to check them in the midst of this post. I love the cut to to the Sword of Jah Mouth Reasons tune & Sound in a Town seems to be rightfully placed at the top of that list as that one is the baddest! Boomshots each and every one you got up there. It is such a shame that more music was not released by Naphtali. I remember hounding you via email quite a few times for copies 22nd Book, before it was repressed. This is THE TUNE that sparked my entry into the UK Modern Roots arena. Ras Kush would run that tune (and probably all three dubs) regularly at some of his sessions in NYC in the mid 90s. That tune is still incredible. I think I have three copies as slowly but surely they will start to become scratchy from their endless rotation. Nuff Respect - Chris
reggaemusicstore
June 06, 2005 01:13AM
Yes Chris, a lot of people still ask about Naphtali. I haven't seen him for a long time & I haven't heard any new works by him for a long time either, which is a shame cos he was a great artist with a very distinctive voice....
dub
June 06, 2005 05:38AM
i think ive seen this shaka/coxone thing, it came on t.v yrs back very short clip i remeber. few guys in the dance lights on a tune playing, was like a documentry and a white talking about how amazed he was seeing a guy running a sound with a single deck . is this the one?! i remember looking for this and thought it was from deep roots video i borrowed it from a mate has 3 part watched the whole lot and found nothing.

agree always interesting to know about soundsystem history, someone should write a book or sumthing, though you old timers have given us some interesteing thing to read here.
respect
fada
June 06, 2005 07:07AM
Here's a short low quality Coxsone clip I found years ago. Would love to get ahold of teh full session... [s29.yousendit.com]
fada
June 06, 2005 07:07AM
reggaemusicstore
June 06, 2005 07:53AM
Fada, that's the clip I was talking about from Reggae in Babylon, nice.... Dub I think you might be talking about an episode of "Routes Of Rock" which had a short clip of Shaka playing from about 25 years ago. Old timers? Ha ha ....
jb welda
June 06, 2005 09:07AM
doesnt aba shanti out of atlanta or somewhere carry around a lot of boxes like a uk set? probably not as heavy but i think ive heard hes pretty authentic.

cant say as there have ever been many yard style dances on the west coast that ive known of. strangely enough, snwmf dancehall comes about the closest ive seen and even then it needs some deeper sounds to make it complete. ive never been to a dance in the uk but plenty of outdoor, mostly, sessions in jamaica, a couple in kingston but mostly out in the country. nothing ive seen or heard in the states comes close though i gotta believe they have similar heavy pressure gigs in miami and other parts of florida?

its good to hear shaka checks each of his boxes before really slamming it, most dances in ja ive been to the sound has been loud but really pretty crappy from a distortion point of view. mostly trying to get too much pressure without the necessary clean amplification. still fun you just have to have your internal high filter on max.

one love
jah bill
reggaemusicstore
June 06, 2005 09:22AM
JB I think the sound you're referring to is Aba Shaka & considering we have 2 sounds here called Aba Shanti & Jah Shaka, that name has a certain humour to it....

I can understand that the US is too big to take a sound on the road from city to city but it's still hard to believe that when a big session takes place in the bronx or brooklyn they're playing on a club PA?
jb welda
June 06, 2005 09:27AM
yeah aba shaka. i can never keep the shantis and shakas straight.

as for the dances, dont know about nyc but i dont think even minor ones just use the club pa, but the boxes they do use above the pa system are nothing like what happens in ja or the uk. not sure but i think ras kush might bring major sound reinforcement at least occasionally. i know hes a shaka disciple so im sure the sound pressure thing hasnt escaped his notice.

one love
jah bill
dub
June 06, 2005 10:57AM
yes routes of rock must be the one i saw, thanks - Rms since how long back you was stepping dub dances = old timer winking smiley
Reuben
June 06, 2005 11:00AM
Dennis Rootical was one of the regular Shaka skankers back in the day along with people like Stix. I remember at one time there was a dread following Shaka, I cant remember what he was called, something like pusher coz he would get quite agressive and push his aponent and take of his crown and push his dread in their face ect, it was like that tho and the challange was serious with some real gymnstics like balarina and splits ect . The Peter you said you used to shuffle, I remember some sounds would play their last tune a Ska tune and shuffling would break out.
June 06, 2005 02:04PM
hi steve,jb ,reuben,my mate Val from brooklyn has a sound called Digital English,he plays out now and then with a set ,he was a west london boy who moved out here long time,its funny there is a English scene in NY ,thay play dance like the uk lovers rock sounds plus the old blues dance fav's,there is a lot of black people who moved over here from the uk there's www.black british crew also english pound productions dj's like brixton hit man he's over the west coast ,but thay hold events all over the US though,val played ,well took music to a club Ras Kush played there,on a house system ,Val threw down some old time steppers, and blew the speakers up ,thay had to take one box out beacuse it was smoking ,he showed the video of it ,it was so funny mate ,Val moved with Saxson back when,and we both know john from Dub vendor ,so when i go see him we drink a few and chat about the old days .he puts music out now and then ,but the scene in NY is pure bashment ,12 tribe dance you are lucky to get 100 people turn out ,and thats with Cherry rock playing the sound and briggy's brother jeremiah.other things do go on i just have not gone to them ,some places are bit to dread for me ,i'm to old for scuffling now,if you know what i mean
trinitymlk
June 06, 2005 04:45PM
Here's a bio on Aba Shaka from the I Grade website. Look out for Aba Shaka to touch the West Coast this summer on the I Grade Showcase w/ Army, Abja, NiyoRah and Ancient King.

Imhotep Shaka, AKA Aba Shaka, has been involved with roots sound systems in the UK from the age of thirteen. He credits the major part of his early sound schooling to three sounds: Success Sound, Lord Koos and Cosmic Roundbeat. Out of Manchester, from a box carrier to a full operator, is where he learnt valuable lessons in selection delivery and mastery as an operator. Aba says:

"Playing with a single turntable was the norm in those days. Your learnt the art of communication with the people between records because it was truly an oral tradition originally. On the flip side of the record is where the MUSIK would just run and the power of the section would charge the atmosphere a bit like a voiceless preacher! And the Congilove [congregation] would respond in a variety of ways to the incoming spirit, pretty much like you would see in a church in the deep south or the Caribbean. Freeness of movements! Spirit Dancers!"

Aba Shaka migrated to Atlanta, GA in the early 1990s, where he and his family formed the sound system that is today known as the Musical Ark of the Kovenant. The family's steadfast commitment to community and their renowned reputation for sharing have earned them countless supporters across the country and around the world. As Aba describes:

"With the support of a strong extended family in Atlanta, we have achieved much success with the sound system here and have never had to rely on niteclubs to play. We have had a constant and strong attendance at our sessions for over ten years. Primarily because we choose to serve the spiritual and physical needs of the community first by never compromising and playing slack and degrading musik on our radio programme “The Healers” or the sound system. Over seeking fame and personal recognition, if your heart is clean and your intentions upright, good people will recognize this and support the shared cause."

Aba Shaka's skills as an operator and reputation as a keeper of the “Ark” of rare tunes are legendary. A self-described “vinyl musician”, Aba takes his role as selector very seriously and honorably. A Musical Ark of the Kovenant session or mix is truly an experience for the mind, body and soul. Each selection is a perfectly timed burst of energy, penetrating hearts, opening charkas and delivering a much-needed message through word, through sound, and through JAH power. Aba is a musical teacher whose lessons in the foundation of 1970's roots music from JA and the UK are sorely needed in this digital age.

Yet Aba Shaka's spirit is itually open to new, emerging movements of spiritual reggae music. Since being introduced to the music of Midnite in the mid-1990's, Aba Shaka has been a strong supporter of the roots reggae music emanating from the Virgin Islands. As a foundation selector, he immediately gravitated to the VI reggae sound that picked up the live instrumentation roots that others have left behind. The Musikal Ark of the Kovenant is the official sound of I Grade Records and mixes the highly popular I Grade Radio webcast each month. Aba's Sound contains countless exclusive mixes, dubs and pre-releases from VI reggae artists waiting and needing to be heard.

Aba Shaka is a frontline musical warrior who is determined to use his music as an instrument for changing and healing minds and spirits. As Aba describes:

"As was in the 50's, 60's and 70's, there is still a war going on - a spiritual and physical war where the culture of the indigenous people of this earth and their valuable resources are in serious danger of being completely wiped out. In simple terms: genocide. We cannot make claim to be conscious people and not fight this war. So we use the musik as our weapons."
solid rock
June 06, 2005 04:49PM

peter have you ever come across a cat over there called Dudley One or D-1 he and his brother are from London and had a set there, but Dudley lives in NY/Brooklyn area now, still dealing in deep roots records (doesn't really like anything modern) but i would imagine he knows some of thse people you mention.. know he knows Manzie and some other guys
trinitymlk
June 06, 2005 04:52PM
I'm not sure how heavy the Musikal Ark set is in Atlanta, but he will definatley be playing through club systems out here. It just doesn't make sense to string up a huge sound when the bars close at 1:30 am, especially when the "sound" is just opening for a band, which is primarilly the case here in the U.S.
June 06, 2005 06:16PM
hi nick ,i will ask Val if he knows the guy,trinity its funny back in the day we would play a church hall ,were it started at 7pm and you had to sign off at 11pm. all that work for an early session ,but thats what it was all about ,and it was hard to get places to play as reggae had a bad rep and still has.
December 05, 2005 05:35PM
do you have another audio clip of shaka and coxsone

nuff respect
dogwarbossanova
December 06, 2005 02:59AM
Just want to say thanks so much guys for the most fascinating thread in ages, on either this board or BAF. Someone has GOT to document the UK roots sound universe - I wonder if any of the sounds from back then have video footage - if so, it could make up the backbone of an incredible DVD, add some interviews and still photos and it would be magic. Of course a book w/ photos, interviews etc. would be boss as well.
January 15, 2006 09:32PM
Give thanks for your apprieciation of my music,watch out for the return.Send me an email to recieve an exclusive...RASTAFARI blessings and I-spect...NAPHTALI.
k zar
January 16, 2006 11:51AM
there's a thread at DHR with sound photos including some US dancehall sounds with big sets:

[dancehallreggae.com]
solid rock
January 16, 2006 11:51AM

hey kzar can you send me an email, thanks
k zar
January 16, 2006 12:00PM
done solid
January 16, 2006 12:32PM
Naphtali-
The link for your email is not working for me. I would love to get in touch with you. If you see this, please send me an email, or post a working link. Give thanks for the works. Your presence has definately been missed. Can't wait to hear some fresh things.
-Stevo
January 16, 2006 05:27PM
me have that tune deh man, Morning glory by the great Lacksley castell. yeh, man,
January 17, 2006 02:43PM
someone was asking about humble tafari of wildfyah sound, he was based out of atlanta area then maybe maryland area last i knew. he did a show recently w/ ras kush's black redemption sounds of praises. a sim

aba shaka cast
[punkcast.com]

January 31, 2006 11:08AM
Blessed love Steve-o
I recieved your message and wanted you to try this link

otherwise you can reach me on
www.naphtalifreestyle@yahoo.co.uk.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login