Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do You know what IRIE really is

Posted by Iroc 
Do You know what IRIE really is
June 03, 2005 03:46PM
It's got to be one of the most overused words in the reggae world today, do you know it's orgins or do you just say it cuz you think it will make you look like you fit in
peep
Re: Do You know what IRIE really is
June 03, 2005 03:49PM
IREI!!!!!!!!!!!! Rostamon!!!!!!!!!!!! Jah Love!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say Jah, you say RASTAFARI

Okay, ready?

JAH!!!!!!!!!
peep
June 03, 2005 03:50PM
I can't HEAR YOU!!!!!!!!!
June 03, 2005 03:51PM
您是一在线为好掴
peep
June 03, 2005 03:51PM
I still can't HEAR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
June 03, 2005 03:53PM
Take your boyfriends dick outta your ear then
peep
June 03, 2005 03:54PM
Okay, I still can't HEAR YOU!!!!!!!!!

IREI!!!
Packie Jablo
June 03, 2005 03:54PM

Do You know what Iroc really is

peep
June 03, 2005 03:55PM
fassy corn rolls, just as I suspected.
June 03, 2005 03:56PM
LOL@ you posting my pic , you must be the resadent male stalker
peep
June 03, 2005 03:58PM
Hey, he is doing that thing with his hands that I got in all that trouble for yesterdaysmiling smiley

[img[http://komplexrecords.com/Artist/20050321133712.jpg[/img]
peep
June 03, 2005 03:58PM
rather

June 03, 2005 03:59PM

Same guy

Same guy, so whats yer damn point
peep
June 03, 2005 04:01PM
Yo man, you must be a true rastaman. You from St Croix right? Thats where the true rastaman come from.
June 03, 2005 04:02PM
I'm from Oakland

I don't see the point of where I am from having anything to do with it, are you saying St Croix doesn't have REAL rastas, So you include Midnite in that statement

Post Edited (06-03-05 16:04)
peep
June 03, 2005 04:03PM
I heard Oakland is mystical.
peep
June 03, 2005 04:04PM
Yo, big up Iroc. Its friday and we just goofin off. Stick around, it gets serious enough for ya fo sho.
June 03, 2005 04:05PM
For someone named "peep" which I would atribute to making a small noise such as " peeped like a mouse" you sure do talk a lot of ****
peep
June 03, 2005 04:06PM
well at least the irony didn't escape you...
bg
June 03, 2005 04:08PM
yaow, i am from st. croix......i know IROC..he from oakland.....and the yute upstanding yuhzimi? he just voicing his opinion on these "problems" within the reggae/rasta community....and yes, once yu invite reggae ito your life, you have also accepted an element of rasta as well.........
but the joky joky vibe from a lot of you just shows immaturity and clown type behavior...........and i wonder, if you are just into reggae and this festival for a party like atmosphere...cuz wha....life is seriousness..and to take a break form the daily stresses is ites....but to be a clown and a jokah all the time.....dat nah mek it iyah.....
peep
June 03, 2005 04:09PM
you nah know me. just cool and have a nice weekend.
June 03, 2005 04:12PM
IROC.....Oakland is your home?You really do need SNWMF.Be open-minded.Visit Berkeley to get expierence dealing with hippies.
jb welda
June 03, 2005 04:17PM
iroc = international race of champions

one love
jah bill
June 03, 2005 04:20PM
international race of champions? what is that?
it sounds kinda supremacist to me

Michael

jb welda
June 03, 2005 04:21PM
look it up. i did the hard part for you

one love
jah bill
June 03, 2005 04:40PM
LOL....LOL....LOL.....lol
Acacia
June 03, 2005 04:44PM
"Do You know what Iroc really is"

Only the iriest vehicles on 4 irie wheels...

What I don't understand is how people can come onto an internet forum where they don't know any of the people and accuse them of putting up fronts. Assuming they don't know what they're talking about. It's a pretty arrogant perspective, if you ask me.

June 03, 2005 04:47PM
Well said, thanks Acacia. Where do we keep gettin these guys from?

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
jb welda
June 03, 2005 04:48PM
<ignore mode off>

an "iroc" camaro is the biggest joke of all. no camaro ever got within a mile of an iroc track other than in the spectator parking lot.

<ignore mode on>

one love
jah bill

June 03, 2005 04:49PM
THey live under the bridge and attack goats
Acacia
June 03, 2005 04:53PM
"<ignore mode off>

an "iroc" camaro is the biggest joke of all. no camaro ever got within a mile of an iroc track other than in the spectator parking lot.

<ignore mode on>

one love
jah bill"

All I can do is laugh at this, Jah Bill. You can do it if you really try.
HIGHPRAISE
June 03, 2005 05:11PM
Aranie .... Greek for peace ...
June 03, 2005 05:19PM
Acacia ... you used irie to describe a vehicle ... Do you know what IRIE really is ?

hahaha

and it's not even red gold and green ... hmmmm

are those hemp tires at least ?
June 03, 2005 07:40PM
welcome to the board IRoc. Awhile back I made a similar post, asking for the definition of Irie. Especially since none of my black friends say the ****, and only hear it said to a white crowd by reggae performers. and received similar corny-ass joke responses.

PS I just moved down by the Lake and outta Berkeley. Man if I knew it was this nice on a day-to-day basis, I wouldve done it 5 years ago...

Acacia
June 03, 2005 07:52PM
Chim, you moved into my neighborhood smiling smiley YES it has been so nice lately. Just be careful late at night going in and out. Serious, there's been a slew of armed robberies by the lake in the last few months. "Oaklanders First" !
June 03, 2005 07:56PM
yea Ive been hearing about that. I'm not usually one who gets targeted for robbery, but then again a gun is a gun. This area has everything, and a real easy walk to downtown (which is alot nicer than I remember it 10 years ago).

Acacia
June 03, 2005 08:04PM
All I know is it's been people going in their house at night. You will be fine, so will I. I really love it, like you said it does have everything and you can walk to anywhere (IMO) that's worth walking to in Oakland.
June 03, 2005 08:20PM
"Arrogant perspective". Well put Acacia.
-Stevo
June 03, 2005 09:00PM
newsflash: word around the hood is they caught one of the robbers. so the others (if they're smart) will probably give it up as well, even if they're not given up by this guy.

PS, Acacia if you see me around don't be afraid to hail me up, I don't bite (well, not always ;-)

June 03, 2005 10:24PM
[www.niceup.com]

If ya don't know what it means you been smoking too much at the shows...

*performer* - "How you feeling!"
*crowd* - "Irie!"

um - is it really that hard to figure out???
B TO THE G
June 04, 2005 07:59AM
so, you sayin that Irie is something you yell at shows to reggae preformers, does it have a meaning, let me pose you some questions then

Do you have to smoke herb to be Irie?

Is Irie a Jamacian word?

And when you are yelling to the preformer what are you sayin?

I ask you this becuase very rarely have I met someone at one of these shows that can overstand even 1/2 of what the preformewrs are sayin, so how can you be sure IRIE isn't something they made up for you to say which means " HI I AM A BIG *******"?

all I am asking is DO YOU KNOW OF WHAT YOU SPEEK
June 04, 2005 08:19AM
What was the last show you were at?

Ever Forward
Empress
June 04, 2005 08:24AM
No, I've never ever heard that word. Please enlighten us with your vast wisdom, o wise and irie one. I can tell you're very intelligent and creative by the innovative and unique way you spell.
June 04, 2005 08:26AM
hahaha stamina! you funny!

Ever Forward
Empress
seedamuffin
June 04, 2005 10:34AM
Irie means alive
HIGHPRAISE
June 04, 2005 12:25PM
Aranie ---- Translation -- Greek word for peace and happiness .....
June 04, 2005 01:17PM
Irie is that feeling that 99% of the people at Frogtown will have in 13 days.....
seedamuffin
June 04, 2005 03:19PM
Im feelin Irie
HIGHPRAISE
June 04, 2005 03:22PM
13 days ... Yeeea ...
June 05, 2005 07:24AM

> eat Shaq's size 19EEE Nike

NOW, DAT'S IRIE... MON!
seed
June 05, 2005 05:12PM
still Irie
June 05, 2005 05:17PM
Every time we have a gig on St. Pat's day, someone is bound to come up & ask if we play any Irish music...we always tell em, "well, no, but we DO play a lot of I-rie music"...
...bg sometimes all one can do is laff...
June 05, 2005 05:26PM
I'm feeling something.........maybe it's..........I don't know........I think .......maybe I'M FEELING IRIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GROUP IRIE......
Acacia
June 05, 2005 08:29PM
"I ask you this becuase very rarely have I met someone at one of these shows that can overstand even 1/2 of what the preformewrs are sayin, so how can you be sure IRIE isn't something they made up for you to say which means " HI I AM A BIG *******"?"

B to the G, (?) State your credentials if you're assuming things. Really. What about the time when you were at one of those shows and YOU didn't understand even close to half of what the performers were saying? Or have you spoken patois since birth and never missed a word? Were you present at the conception of the word irie? If your answer is no to those questions ,then I ask you this because when you confront people you don't know with the attitude that you know something they don't and use that kind of "pop quiz" tactic to expolit (what you think) is their ignorance, you are doing nothing but exposing the same falseness in yourself as you (not so) subtly accuse others of having.

So instead of asking those questions hoping to get a response you can ridicule, why don't you just tell everyone what you know about the word irie, if it means so much to you. I can tell you with certainty that you will get more respect for that than you ever could with the schoolyard antics you have demonstrated here.

What if instead of indulging you with answers to your trick questions, we all just admitted that you are better than us and left it at that? Or is it the thrill of the chase that feeds your fire?
seed
June 05, 2005 08:45PM
irie eyes
June 05, 2005 08:47PM
y'all love these arguements more than rice & peas...

June 06, 2005 12:08AM
"so, you sayin that Irie is something you yell at shows to reggae preformers, does it have a meaning, let me pose you some questions then"

I said it's a response to the performers when they ask how people are feeling. When dancing happy people grinning ear to ear reply by saying irie its obvious what irie means to them. Most of us learn the meaning behind words by observing how they are used in conversation, at least by those of us who actually listen and pay attention, and don't just keep rewording the same sentence over and over thinking it provides more significance... sight?

"Do you have to smoke herb to be Irie?" I sure don't - do you?

"Is Irie a Jamacian word?" Yes. It might have roots elsewhere, but it is very much a part of patwa now.

"And when you are yelling to the preformer what are you sayin?" We are saying that we feel extremely good, the music is sweet, and we wouldn't want to be anywhere else at this moment. See above for what I said about observing how things are used in context.

"I ask you this becuase very rarely have I met someone at one of these shows that can overstand even 1/2 of what the preformewrs are sayin, so how can you be sure IRIE isn't something they made up for you to say which means " HI I AM A BIG *******"?

all I am asking is DO YOU KNOW OF WHAT YOU SPEEK" Do you know of what you write? (certainly not how you spell) You pose questions without providing any insight, and you come off as if you were Rasta's appointed ambassador to Amerikkka. You claim to want to reason but apparently there is something stuck in YOUR ear (your boyfriends WHAT???), because you just repeat the same thing over and over without considering anyones reply. Communication is a two way street...

When the Abyssinians wrote Satta Amassa Ghana they took some flak for not quite getting the Amharic words correct. BUt guess what - most people on this board have come to know that the words are intended to say "give thanks" - and whether you say satta amesse gene or satta amassagana (or any variety of spelling therof) - it still carries the same meaning. Sometimes you have to listen to what the person is really saying and not just the words they are using to express it.One question for you - do you think you are capable of that?
June 06, 2005 06:16AM
good lord, this iroc is one confounded individual...

Acacia and Dubguy said it all
KeithM
June 06, 2005 06:28AM
I. R.espect I. E.ternely
Acacia
June 06, 2005 10:07AM
"PS, Acacia if you see me around don't be afraid to hail me up"

Chimino, I will if I see you, for sure.
bg
June 06, 2005 10:47AM
i am me. bg. iroc is iroc. i didnt post this topic. dont know why it's getting confused. I thought that might be clear by the way you discern form my punctual and smooth spelling as compared to the typo-laden spelling of the bredda iroc? cheeese & bread me son.
once again....Iroc is the author of this post.
BG is not.
bg will be at snwmf, iroc will not.
look for me in the all blue suit wearing the sign that says
"i am BG, not IROC"

heh heh heh

bless up
seed
June 06, 2005 10:57AM
i can tell by how you move
that youre really getting in the groove
please dont change the vibe

I feel so...

baby keep on doin..doin what your doin
please dont change the vibe

your in the mellow mood

your feeling.....
June 06, 2005 11:04AM
YEah - sorry for confusing you 2 BG, and sorry if I come off a little heavy handed sometimes - that comment by Iroc about d*ck inna ear had me irate. Hope we can reason some at the show, when we are both in irie spirits.

Peace (fi true)
beke
June 06, 2005 11:11AM
my 2 cents on what irie means:
doesn't neccesarily have anything to do with smoking herb or being high, and more accurately means being at one or in tune with creation and free from babylon, can also just be a greeting. this is at least the context in which it is used in the west indies--i never been to jamdown, but suspect the same. originates from iyaric creole language and has been adopted in to jamaican patois and west indian lexicon in general.
bg
June 06, 2005 11:50AM
yes i dubguy, looking forward, text writings are so impersonal anyway, never can quite tell how something is said, like the weight of it i mean.
we def. goin have some late night ghetto sessions next to zion pavillion, hopefully everyone can man-tain and not be left out to dry as kings on the clothesline.....bombs away.
mashdown45
June 07, 2005 03:45AM
Aranie ---- Translation -- Greek word for peace and happiness .....

'ÅÉÑÇÍÇ' pronounced 'EE REE NEE' is 'peace' in greek.. its also a common name in greece.. (my girl is called eirini.. the english version is 'irene')

so when they ask you "ARE YOU FEELING IRENE?" dont shout YAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH cos im the only one who feels her.
seed
June 07, 2005 02:46PM
Im feelin irene
ras
June 07, 2005 03:11PM
when the music hits, and you feelin good, you are Irie.
Irie comes with a smile.
mashdown45
June 07, 2005 10:24PM
seed: watch it. or i'll threaten you in patois
seed
June 07, 2005 10:47PM
oooooo
HIGHPRAISE
June 07, 2005 11:30PM
Finally Mashdown settin it straight ... Respect man.. my youngest sister was gunna name her child this if it was a girl but found out 3 days ago its a boy ..
April 08, 2006 02:57AM
April 08, 2006 04:18AM
Ahoy HIM soul!!!
IRIE MEAN ITS RIGHTEOUSLY HOLY
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login