Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

If Stone Love try this at SNWMF I will boooooo them dead...

Posted by Chimino 
If Stone Love try this at SNWMF I will boooooo them dead...
May 10, 2004 05:31PM
And people wonder why I say they pop down:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
neochin Posted: May 10 2004, 11:25 AM
I saw something here I've never seen before. For half of their set stonelove actually
played off of a MIXED CD. No joke. Everytime he wanted to change the song, he would mek
up whole heap a noise to distract the audience from the bad mix and press the FORWARD button.
Someone I know actually said they have the CD they were playing from. I understand the need to not bring records but yikes....no mixing. Just a mic man.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[www.unitedtrends.com]

LOL, can you believe that...never heard a sound so lazy in my life.
Irie_i
Re: If Stone Love try this at SNWMF I will boooooo them dead...
May 10, 2004 06:02PM
hahaha....Most sounds are in need of a good selecta, but that is pathetic.
sisterlil
May 11, 2004 05:27AM
If what Chimino says is "True", then yes indeed irie_i that is pathetic..
May 11, 2004 02:47PM
Hmm I don't know..... Another Chimino post,
Maybee.
Yikes!

Happy Trails
May 11, 2004 02:58PM
That is really pathetic...LOL!!!
flip
May 11, 2004 04:00PM
i seem to remember Stone Love playing the same set twice- it was either last year or the year before. unlikely that they would actually DJ in such a fashion- so the CD thing holds some water.
May 11, 2004 05:13PM
Yes Prince Wolf, keep your head in the sand while fretting over internet characters, LOL.
May 13, 2004 02:49PM
no really i was on the stage in the dancehall and noticed that the dubplates are pre-mixed...all the artist on the riddum were all mashed already...it tripped me out because i was spinnin before rory came on...noticed it and said HUH! I was just mixin my heart out while he came on and threw plates on and there it went.....i dont think its a cd but records pre-mixed..it was my gear on stage so i know it wasnt a cd...oh well, they are the foundation sound so you gots to give them that......MYSTIC 1
May 13, 2004 08:42PM
vinyl a mus! no cheap thrillz please or the souNboyz mite get restless! spin the dub selecta! yourz true; Selecta7souN system(R.A.W.#1792) -RASpectz+
May 13, 2004 08:45PM
Downbeat don't play CD's :-)

Large up Tony Screw everytime...
May 14, 2004 08:15AM
Would you say that premixes are the future, or at least going to be a staple in the sound system culture?
May 14, 2004 10:16AM
LMAO - that's a lot like Milli Vanilli only selector style! I can see doing it fe deejaying a small party, more time for beer and herbs: But at a club, or worse an event like dis - that's a total joke! Hell, I can program my playlist at home, if I an I are out and about I want to see someone PERFORMING - not just switchin discs!
I know a lot of them use custom dub plates, but this is taking it jus a wee bit too far...

Irie vibes...
May 14, 2004 10:21AM
Mad Professor brought tapes and swapped them out like this when he performed some 3 years ago at SN. I think you guys are being too hard.

Post Edited (05-14-04 10:23)
May 14, 2004 10:48AM
All right cheeseman - you're right! I actually CAN see it being a "staple" of the biz, but I don't have to like it (haha). When it comes down to it though - It's not like I'm gonna stop dancing because the guy didn't fade the mix while I was watching...

peace
jb welda
May 14, 2004 11:07AM
adrian sherwood likewise on his visits (not to snwmf but elsewhere) and they werent even dat's.

one love
jah bill
May 14, 2004 11:16AM
I run a CD setup. I take pride in the quality of preparation I spend on big riddim mixes and also in my live mixing abilities. I balance the two. There is time and a place for both.
May 14, 2004 11:18AM
From what Ive seen, its usually just a small group that hang around up by the turntables checking out in detail what the selecter is doing.

Most people are dancing or just standing around the perimeter doing their own thing. The details of how the music is being delivered is the
interest of just a handful of hardcore DJ fans.
May 14, 2004 12:19PM
Well, it's no secret CD sounds seem to be the future. Even Ricky Trooper has played his last two clash with CD only. I prefer to hear steel dubplates, but what ya gonna do.
This is a different case...there is a huge difference between a soundman juggling his dubplates on CD as he would steel, and the soundman bringing in a mix CD he's been selling out ah road and just hiting track numbers.
The difference is SPONTENAITY, giving the crowd more than they would hear at home with a mix CD and, most of all, making them feel they are worth the trouble of putting in actual "work" (you know, that thing we all do to get paid).
May 14, 2004 12:44PM
cd sounds are no foundation to except. for one the new digital cd mixxerz are based off trying to copy a vinyl sound style down to to fake scratch effects. it only meks tings easy for a dj for not have to change up a 12'inch compared to mini disks or classic 5inch disks. less easy to mark up your precious collectorz vinyl & no worry about finger marks or that pain in the neck dusting. but on other hand i* dont feel it fare anyone should have to pay ca$h to see a lazy sound attempt. dar should be a un-written law dat if u spin spin cd's compared to expensive vinyl your working pay should be considered "way" less just on investment rites. im very aware of many systemz today dat use digital disks for there sound & @ same time they dont wanna play along side i* because it would look cheap. dem closet dis by never inviting other vinyl userz to spin longside for most part. some tingz u cant really dull out for crowd interest ya kno. i* do runn one line into mixxer for a cd player but it iz only used for straight samples & never iz foundation for the hard track. i* also runn it for background chunes before show time to stop the silence before the live dub. but a soundmon @ such heights & paycheck stub should be let known dis. dat iNi nah gonna buy ticket for such an easy chair ride. vinyl iz a investment & cd'z copyz cost nothing & almost nill if your not a sucker for expensive cd-r dubplates. im not paying for nothing. im paying for the wheelz of steel! radio dj'z iz one ting because i* dont watch dem only listion but the live show must gwan! -RASpects+
TR-808
May 14, 2004 01:01PM

> they dont wanna play along side i* because it would look cheap

yeah, that's why.

hey do you get the corned beef or chicken wings where you play?

[www.vinetavern.com]

i can't tell if those are ital chicken wings or not
May 14, 2004 01:08PM
I find this thread kinda laughable, as the aversion of some people to CDs.

When I go to hear a sound system, I go to hear the MUSIC, and not the cracks and pops that is prevelant in lots of yard vinyl.

I agree with those posters who object to 'pre-programmed' tunes because the songs need to follow with the vibes in the venue at the time.

But quite frankly I could care less if the selector chooses the next song by hitting a button on a CD Player, changing the tapes (ala Mad Professor), or placing the next selection on a turntable.
May 14, 2004 01:18PM
Well Daniel, there is an artistry that comes with the selecting when you only deal with vinyl, control and creativity in transitions, oversampling, etc, and it's nice to hear it done live rather than perfected on a tape. True That though about the Yard Presses, I always prefer a nice Heavy UK press.
May 14, 2004 02:11PM
Jahmeek playing in an Irish-American tavern? Now that's funny!!!!!

As long as the DJ has his/her fingers on the pulse of the crowd I guess it doesn't matter what form the music is in. But for those that are rooted in the DJ culture, there's nothing like seeing some real talent on the ones and twos.
jb welda
May 14, 2004 02:31PM
>The details of how the music is being delivered is the
>interest of just a handful of hardcore DJ fans.

dare i say it: those without girlfriends.

now heres one for you: which came first, the chicken or the egg?

one love
jah bill
flip
May 14, 2004 02:38PM
baaaaaaazing!
Barry Brown tune for you....lend me one of your girlfriends......
jb welda
May 14, 2004 03:13PM
you have them from one to ten.

one love
jah bill
May 14, 2004 06:00PM
let me revamp what i was explaining not to long ago to a i-dren...cds are no fun...yeah they save you money,carrying load,and a headache from trying to find what you need at clubs...but her me out!!!! yeah maybe it sounds better with digital but the old school feel aint there....most of those cd turntables have bpm readout and can do things that computers do...its almost like cheating...im not knockin cd decks cause ive used them before and yes they are tight....MY GIRLFRIEND tells me all the time that when she sees djs usin vynal its more passionate..and i agree seein those put much effort into makin those records spin is far more entertaining than a dude jus playn cds....its not as authentic. well i guess the younger generation is gettin lazy about their music..dont you think so? when i started spinn reggae 10 years ago all i could spin on was technic 1200's...Mystic 1

Jah bill, hey this is marty...we gonna link up to get the recording thing togther for the show...i ve spoke with loren the soundman and were gonna make it happen, any equipment u might need let me know..all my dj gear is being used as usual so if you need something let me know!!!!!
May 14, 2004 06:06PM
oh i forgot to say mad proffesor used ADAT tapes to do his show...now an ADAT is way differnt than just playin a tape or cd..and that was tight to listen and watch him dub and mix togther his music his style...it was like watchin him master an album in a studio but live...thats raw!!!!
AJ
May 14, 2004 06:10PM
STONE LOVE---It's not how they do it. It's the vibe. STONE LOVE vibe has always been great! SEE YA AJ
jb welda
May 14, 2004 08:41PM
>MY GIRLFRIEND

:-)

yes marty, let me send you an email and we can figure out what gwan. if it goes like last year it will be top rank. saw loren over the weekend too in davis, he stays busy, eh?

man, i may not have told you, but that caramel was golden!

one love
jah bill
May 14, 2004 09:18PM
TR-808 u b a nasty hole in the wall. personly i* would not wanna eat @table in the middle of a rain forest with fresh fruit & ital stew if your spoo had anyting to do with it. chump change up on your attitude adjustment iz all i* would order from your joke of a co-op. get sum real vibez i* mon & floss the sour patch kidz out of your teeth pleaze. itz not where u play(even if u dont play dar anymore) itz the message your sending to the crowd. everyone from midnite to capleton haz played a firehouse in dar time. get with the program u sure need sum help. >forward^
May 15, 2004 01:07AM
Pussyhole TR-808 come outta my thread with your fuckery. In case you missed the memo we are only dealing with positive mentalities and fruitful discussion from now til the Festival, so either contrinute to the discussion or go far, far away.
May 15, 2004 04:48AM
apperciate, congradulate but dont hate....becuse no matter what roarie plays cd or whatever it gonna be bonafide, ceritifed and cheak out..and it's gonna be tighter than anything you've heard since last year ....so check it and big up a man like warren for bringing stone love agin,,,,,,,on the real stop all the cd ,vinly b.s ......and check whats really going on .......highly buzzed but still real.... visiting hawthorne N.V
May 15, 2004 10:15AM
jah bill,

oh you were in davis for whole earth? i was spinnin at 4:20 on sat at the dj stage.

Mysticirie1@weedmail.com

yes their will be more of my good treats at the show...SO HIT ME UP OK

oh and to awnser this post one mre time...STONE LOVE is great but when they play pre-mixed dubplates its kinda weird!
May 15, 2004 11:48AM
>> oh i forgot to say mad proffesor used ADAT tapes to do his show...

Now that is totally different! With ADAT you have access to the individual tracks - and can create true dub on the fly... what a great way fi mash up dancehall! Guess that's why he is the Proffessor....

btw - I was refering to pre-mixed cds (as in load one from start to finish)... if you're still mixing it up to the current vibe, I could care less what media it is on - but for the record, vinyl DOES sound better: but watchout - music DVDs have taken it up a notch. 24/96 with 5.1 surround... engineers have their work cut out for them now! (think quadraphonic done right!)
May 15, 2004 12:05PM
ADAT tapes iz way differnt your so rite. only the professor would be so kool. but the dVD ting i* feel should be for theatres & movie back drops. it iz true also dat records do sound better than CD'z capture a way better live sound if u ask i*. except those awful JA pressinz'(keep up the good work UK &Germany). pre-mixxed cd'z work awsum for radio shows but if come live itz a differnt story again. the time iz now to keep the playerz of instrument @the front of stage(turntables). playin' mixxed cd's only will keep iNi in back or on side of stage where the media would like it to be since most all selecta'z/dj'z/mixx-masterz are pretty much showing up any robot jockey on commercial radio, Mtv & such. i* luv all the new tech stuff to nice up the style. but the foundation iz phonographic. it waz in the beginning & will be in the end. just check babywrongz stock market on vinyl. cd'z r going down while recordz continue to rize(dis little off subject but thought i* would share). -nuff RASpect+
jb welda
May 16, 2004 12:02AM
>it waz in the beginning & will be in the end.

yes jahmeek but in the beginning was the beating on a tree trunk with a club. i guess thats a drum circle beginning eh? maybe youre right on this one.

one love
jah bill
May 16, 2004 12:11AM
would rather see dem get cut down for drumbz than the sensless paper industry. also i've never been a BIG fan of skining animalz either but i* guess some1 haz to do it. still dont know how to stomach it all past the side linez. REMO haz tryed hard to copy the African drumb but still does nah souN or feel da same. >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
May 16, 2004 01:44AM
ooppz im on wrong thread. JAH*
May 17, 2004 03:34PM
a true dat music is music. The audience doesn't care how it gets to dem but its a subconscious ting dat make dem groove. Not all but some cd djs just run a more slack sound. CDs are makeing DJs less apreciated. Make it seem as if any one can do it. Any one who is in front of an audience needs to act like a professional and perform!
May 18, 2004 01:32PM
For me, the most important elements of a Sound are music selection, sound quality and correct volume. All the other stuff like beat mixing, scratching, mic talk, FX sounds is all just frosting and I can do without.

Vinyl, CD's or a Laptop is fine with me, although sometimes its fun to watch them juggle the 45's. Its all good.
May 18, 2004 08:52PM
45'z r' really a pain, especial when dem get stuck. i* perfer 10'inch i*self but like u said nuff people cant handle the fros'. i* also RASpects laptop uzerz dem a new wave & a whole differnt style but even dem souN own clazh'z have strick rulez to keep it real & not let the cheaterz water down the worx. -RASpects+
May 19, 2004 09:40PM
I thought I would offer a message-board update from the Stone Love camp I read on DHR.com:

--------------------------------------------------------
Today, 09:14 PM
kingston20
Registered User Join Date: Jan 2002

Spoke to Barney from Stonelove this morning. It is Sir Conqueror's 10year Anniv. Diamond and Richie Feelings are confirmed for that dance. He said Stonelove has something to prove back to people in NY. Especially with this pre-mixed CD's situation. But they will surely be there. Swatch is also a good juggling sound.
------------------------------------------------------------------

[www.dancehallreggae.com]
dubby
June 21, 2004 12:09PM
I see, at first I thought it was about the music, but now I see it is all about your dick.

>dare i say it: those without girlfriends.
jbwelda
June 21, 2004 11:25PM
i wont even dignify that comment with a response.

but i didnt hear anyone booing. did you?

one love
jah bill
June 22, 2004 10:06AM
Kept I and I dancing jus fine - glad to see the big turnout in the dancehall Saturday night!
June 22, 2004 11:18AM
CD's are for pussies!!!
June 22, 2004 11:22AM
Well then I am proud to be called a pussy DJ. Personally, I am more into the substance than the style. More into music then the flash.
June 22, 2004 11:32AM
I bet there was even a bpm counter on the damn things. What cheaters!!!
June 22, 2004 11:57AM
And I suppose your phonograph has the speakerhorn attached directly to the needle? If you were blindfolded would the dancehall experience you heard have been different? I saw all the selectors mixing it up - everything else is trivial!
June 22, 2004 12:00PM
I still say that friday night was the better experience. I feel bad for all those that came too late, or missed out. It was just night and day, no comparison, sorry for those who cannot tell!!!
June 22, 2004 03:53PM
You have a true lover of Dub here but I'm wondering what is a "DubPlate?
Sadly unknowing,
Sabrina
June 22, 2004 03:57PM

here you go sabrina

[website.lineone.net]
Realist
June 25, 2004 11:14AM
None of you people would last a second at a real Jamaican Dance, a real one Deep in LA, where gunshots ring after the dance.

Stone Love probably doesn't give a **** about this festival. it's a bunch of white kids who think they are rastafarian, but are really just hippies. Stone Love is gonna make thier money and leave, I don't think they'd give a **** who booed them,
June 25, 2004 11:30AM
Well, they do this mixed-CD **** at "real Jamaican dances" nowadays also, which is where they catch flack for it, so not sure what your arguement is here...
flip
June 25, 2004 12:00PM
could that have been more negative. (it's always Aol)

personally you can have LA. "where the gunshots ring out" gernerally i try to avoid gunshots- even if they make the dance more authentic. is there are better lineup of artists (than SNWMF)somewhere in LA?

if i wanted to go to a real jamaican dance i'd probably go to Jamaica. until then i'll be listening to S. Gav and Downbeat the Ruler in the dancehall at SNWMF.

i'm not hating on Stone Love. he puts on a good show. i just think you are being a little harsh.
jb welda
June 25, 2004 12:01PM
a "real" jamaican dance, deep in LA???

you have to be mad.

ps: i believe rory and crew hung around all weekend and dug the vibes. thats why they keep coming back.

next.

one love
jah bill
Swedish
Re: Jah bill...ur funny.
June 25, 2004 12:13PM
I thought that was funny too . A "real" jamaican dance deep in LA lol......

I live in LA and have been to plenty jam parties. But I would have to agree that a real Ja dance would have to be experienced in Ja.

Respect everytime,
S
Loren
June 25, 2004 12:41PM
Once again, I will lay down the law:
Rory does NOT use premixed CDs, and this is the first time I have seen him use CDs at all. Marty's gear was NOT in the dancehall and he was NOT on deck Saturday night. I was there, standing right next to Rory getting all the EQ right on the system and of course, watching my favorite sound system in action. One of the things I like about Rory is his ability to mix records. Sometimes he cues, then puts the fader in the middle so you hear both tables simultaneously, then 'throws' the second record into the first so it mixes in perfectly, on the fly. He hits most of them perfectly, like no body I have ever seen do it, but he misses some too. Of course that is just a perfect reason to haul and pull and say something relevant on the mike. THis year, he had CDs. I didn't ask why, but I will call Mike, his manager and find out. I heard some rumor about a berr bottle being thrown at the tables during Sabatical's set and breaking one of the tables, but I don't know if that is true or not. We used them the next day on the main stage when Marty's tables got put on the stage for Fermin Muguruza. Anyway, as technology progresses, Artists, DJs and other performers will take advantage of the advances. THey will give us the best performance they can muster, and we will love it. I personally had a blast in there, and it was perhaps the best Dancehall sessions in 10 years for me, getting to see Briggy, Carlton, etc with a live mix going on. Same thing with Rory on Sat. Sure, I missed the records, and I find the reground Jamaican vilyl to be one of the characteristics of Jamaican Dancehall that is part of the genre that I so love, but still. The delivery was phenominal regardless of how the music was stored on whatever media. As for flying with a bunch of dub plates that are reletively priceless.....I have lost thousands of dollars of electronic equipment flying out of JFK airport in NYC because the guys who load the plane are thieves. As a result, I don't fly with anything I can't carry on any more. Maybe that's why the current trend towards CDs, that and they can be re recorded from the original dub plates, given away to fans, are smaller, and lighter to carry, and with the new CDJ players, you can't tell the difference in teh mix, or the rewind, etc.n I'll get back to ya'll after I talk to Mike. Hope ya'll enjoyed the show as much as I did.
Loren, Production Manager, SNWMF
June 25, 2004 01:02PM
Gunshots are not very frequent at dances in JA anymore, either...especially after they passed the nationwide noise ordinance a few years ago. Same with NY, where sound clash in Brooklyn used to be notorious for the amount of shots which rang out after certain tunes played...but those Biltmore days are long gone.
As far as the LA reference, I had to LOL at that one also...
rustfan
June 25, 2004 01:07PM
These days - when you hear gun shots in LA: those are the ones being fired at the cops.
June 26, 2004 12:54AM
I'm from LA myself, and I have yet to see a real Jamaican party here. And even if there was one, people would be too interested in driving their bmw's or mercedes around town instead of doing something authentic. I swear, I am an LA native, and I don't know where all of these materialistic, trendy @#$%& weirdos come from. They can all go back to where they came from. We need our city back, this place was once cool at one time. Thank you for letting me vent!!
Sincerely,
dj wood (one of the few LA natives in LA!!!)
June 26, 2004 10:29AM
Yeah, djwood, CD's are fur pussies.
June 26, 2004 10:56AM
The've had at least a couple sound system dancehall events at the Shatto Ballroom on Slauson Ave near West Blvd in LA. One of them was last Feburary the same week as the Bob Marley Fest in LB.
I didnt go but it sounded like that might be the closest thing your gonna get too a Jamaican dance in LA.

I lived in that same neighborhood in LA for 20 years. Laying in bed late at night, you could frequently hear gunshots ringing out in the distance, and Im sure they wernt coming from a dance.
June 26, 2004 11:09AM
Heres one coming up at the Shatto:

Sat. July 17 - Summer Splash 2004 w/ Glamour Wayne (Gemini), Libra Love, Firgo Digital, and Chrome Sound - Shatto Ballroom - 3744 W. Slauson Blvd. Los Angeles - $30 door - 9pm until ?? - (310) 930-2123
June 26, 2004 11:12AM
There was actually a soundclash last night in Long Beach between sounds from LA, SD, Oakland. Haven't heard yet how it went.
June 26, 2004 11:30AM
WOW, Firgo Digital still play out? LA people ya crazy if ya miss that one...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login