Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DRUM CIRCLES

Posted by ARI 
ARI
DRUM CIRCLES
May 13, 2004 01:57PM
LET US HAVE DRUM CIRLCES N LIVE ACTOUSTIC MUSIC ON CAMPSITE AT SNWMF.
LETS KEEP THE SPIRIT ALIVE. BRING INSTRUMENTS AND YOUR SINGING VOICES N DANCING FEET.

LOVE PEACE N JOY ===ARI*
Re: DRUM CIRCLES
May 13, 2004 08:38PM
with a real dancehall dis may be hard to ground up but all the best to your effertz -RASpects+
May 13, 2004 09:45PM
I'll here your drum sound and I will arrive.
GG
May 14, 2004 08:24AM
There's always been a drum circle at the fest....even right next to the dancehall so no worries there. The West African drummers always bring something to the massive and the dancers bring that extra spice to go with it. However, it would be nice to find a spot where a huge circle could go off like in the days at Marysville.
May 14, 2004 10:58AM
I remember one circle at Marysville that I would LIKE to forget - it was like, "everyone, play as fast and as loud as you can!" for 2 hours straight.

Yes bring de instruments - but let's find the groove! (not that I'm worried - one bad circle out of like 30 festivals isn't bad!) Big up rhythm bredren n sistren!
May 14, 2004 11:56AM
hippies cant play nyahbinghi. dis ive learned through nuff experience. so ive also tryed to do some other african riddimz even @ fast speeds like the energy waz requesting. but when it @ such a massive gathering like dis it seemz people have so much frustration to let loose & many just want to let it go hard & never really take time to play with any sort of order. dar there to party nah work for most part. dat seemz to be biggest letdown when these tingz hit az many pull there dusty or out of tune drumb out for a bang. keep up the mission here ARI iNi support u!. concious efferts do pay off ,ive seen it many times & so so does JAH JAH*. for the most part dar needs to be RASpect for a few king lions who lead the riddim without some wash up or uneducated youth tryin' to play over it or az load az dey can. teach dem in the session dont just ignore dem az u show off your skills dat you've learned from someone else aswell. nuff luv for the natural beats must join hands. -RASpects+
ARI
May 14, 2004 01:50PM
Yes brother tis true we must show the young ones the way. That do not yet know the rythm.Thank you.N HOPEFULLY THEY OPEN UP TO THE TEACHING,AMEN,SELAH.:0)

LOVE PEACE,N JOY 2 U~ARI*
May 14, 2004 01:53PM
Yes I, Jahmeek.....
true words Bredren.
Orderliness is a show of raspect. Many ones forget that 'social graces' still forward one in community.
Blessed Light in HIM,
Sis April Joseph I
May 14, 2004 02:16PM
I've never thought of a drum circle as work. Hmmm....
May 14, 2004 10:31PM
Let the drum sound and never mind form and structure . Up on the hill over looking the fest is nice spot for big gathering and does not enterup the pro's on stage.
ARI
May 15, 2004 09:59AM
Feel the vibes.No work to enjoy n play just feel it.Let us bring back that spirit.

LOVE~ARI*
May 15, 2004 11:21AM
>> Let the drum sound and never mind form and structure

Jay have you ever tried to jam some irie tunes when your Van Halen buddy is over tossing leads all over the place... I'm not saying you need to be joe pro musician to join the fun (everyone should!) and it should NEVER be work when you are makin music...hell I bring extra drums\shakers for people to join in, but the best circles are when you are feeding off the players around you. As Jahmeek pointed out - it also really helps if there is a strong player or two to lead the rhythm.

The best circle ever was at ROTR one year - about 40 people right next to the river. Some guy with some congas (and stands! - I' have to go get me one of those before the fest) was setting the pace.. nice and easy...everyone was hitting their part...we jammed on the same beat for like 2 hours, and no one was bored with it... if someone had to take a break they would hand off the drum to another who would step right in... true community!

bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum
Cyan you hear the call of the Rasta mon saaaaaayyyyyyyyyy.....
Babylon shall fall on down down down... Babylon we throw on down.....

Bring the 'binghi - Jameek you can lead... I can follow you nyah (of course most wouldn't call me a hippy since I pick the comb back up, if you kno what I mean)
May 15, 2004 11:24AM
Hey - this board deletes extra spaces!!!
bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum is what I want to avoid!!!

bum bum

bum bum

bum bum

It is the holes in the middle that make it sizzle!
May 15, 2004 11:30AM
well friday i'll be @downbeat for sum studio1 plate action. saturday, well im not ruling out yet but sunday if i* dont bail early it mite be good vibe for the drumbz i* imagine. C' ya den! -RASpects+
Re: jah meek
May 16, 2004 12:51PM
jah meek need not u be so negative. i n i's soul not have label like maybe yours does. unless u r a black man born and raised in jamaica under rastafarian traditions u r nothing but a hippie like the rest of most of us. now i see why u get so much negative feedback from some of the other posters. to say hippies cant play drums is just ignorant. but as bun would say "if the cap fits". hopefully most idren at this r not as predjudice and negative as u. but with your disrespectfull screen name we know "dem wear it". No heathen label ini's idren soul s so rudeboy shuffle back to the "Ja Hug" and read up on what it means to be rasta. hope to see the righteous bredren an sistren at this festival for peace, one love one people, one music, one vibe, one race "human".
Irie_i
May 16, 2004 01:33PM
dcsmoker13 wrote:

> jah meek need not u be so negative. i n i's soul not have label
> like maybe yours does. unless u r a black man born and raised
> in jamaica under rastafarian traditions u r nothing but a
> hippie like the rest of most of us. now i see why u get so much
> negative feedback from some of the other posters. to say
> hippies cant play drums is just ignorant. but as bun would say
> "if the cap fits". hopefully most idren at this r not as
> predjudice and negative as u. but with your disrespectfull
> screen name we know "dem wear it". No heathen label ini's idren
> soul s so rudeboy shuffle back to the "Ja Hug" and read up on
> what it means to be rasta. hope to see the righteous bredren an
> sistren at this festival for peace, one love one people, one
> music, one vibe, one race "human".

RESPECT TO THAT......this has needed to be said
May 16, 2004 02:13PM
tanks heaps 4 yer support irie. hopefully i n i will be gettin irie witcha and yer idren. All us "hippies" can feel dem vibes 2gether regardless of what some peples label us as.
J
May 16, 2004 04:35PM
First off, I would like to note that I am a huge fan of natural sounds and drumming. Hopefully the festival will have many circles, and artist enjoying their craft together. As for this message board, I've never seen so much politics on such a natural art, drumming. It seems like a lot of people never learned about the foundation of reggae music: escapism, reality, and genuine efforts to better the environment we live in. Come on ya'll, relax.
May 16, 2004 05:26PM
No disrespect to the drumming elite but isn't a circle at an event like this all about having some fun and vibing with each other? It's nice to be able to carry a good beat and all, but when it comes down to it everyone is trying to have fun. I'm all for those with the technical skill to lead a circle, but don't discredit those that want to be involved in the euphoria and comraderie that occurs during such a large gathering. If you're good, help the not-so-good. There's a balance between the two. Then you might not have a great sound or a terrible sound, but a good sound. That should be enough. You're probably right Jahmeek that many are there to party and I see nothing wrong with that as long as we respect each other's space. The work is being done by the performers on stage. That's what they're getting paid for. I like DJ Big Jim's idea a while back about having Ras Michael do a teaching session on drumming. I bet you'd have a lot of folks at that. Maybe the festival can expand out to workshops or something in the future. Maybe an extra day for that kind of stuff for the die-hard massive. Just a thought.

fourtwentyplenty
May 17, 2004 12:16AM
Greetings,
Playing drums and playing binghi are simply different. It wasn't said that hippies can't play drums.
Orderliness and humbleness are a blessing to InI ears as the tides of the ocean with a steady heartical rhythm.
Give thanks to the Singers and Players of Instruments.
One Love.

May 17, 2004 07:28AM
>> I like DJ Big Jim's idea a while back about having Ras Michael do a teaching session on drumming. I bet you'd have a lot of folks at that. Maybe the festival can expand out to workshops or something in the future. Maybe an extra day for that kind of stuff for the die-hard massive. Just a thought.

fourtwentyplenty & DJ Big Jim - what a great idea! I would attend that, for sure. Someone in the know - pass this thought on to the promoters..

Can't wait... If you jam with enough circles, my friend Skitter and I have noticed, you come away from the fest "hearing" beats everywhere - like you're connected with the earth's natural heartical rhythm. I can can guarantee if you watch any circle for a while, you can pick up on the groove and join in too...
Share the vibes!
Forward the rhythm!
Mek we dweet!
Get irie all...
May 17, 2004 10:02AM
You say hippie like that's a bad thing,, i n i been called hippie since the 60's, and I love it, being different than the masses,,, I n i throw the comb away 7, 8 years ago. now them call i hippie rasta,,, I'm not confused,, jus keeping my own ting real for me...
I would love a real drum circle,,going on for hours,,I will be listening and the drums will call.. i n i will be there...tru dat, let the king lions lead, but let everyone join in,, listen to the beat and it will move you,,,,
He who feel it ,know it...PEACE
May 17, 2004 11:49AM
nothing wrong with hippiez ya bagga mouthz. dem just cant hip rasta binghi beatz dat come through meditation. sure u can count heartbeatz( 1,2) but the vibe iz all wrong itz simply logical so dont get so offended i*men. datz alrite gwan & get your groove on datz kool seen. ive been called a hippie rasta before & dat nah hurt i* feelingz like u tink. in fact i* waz kind of flattered to be known az a seek to true RAS culture. in a selfesh way it sort of boasted a foolish pride & gave i* a chance to really explore rootz in a more pozitive+ way. giv+ thanx for all the attention. free love promo aint all dat bad ya kno. but u must pay to come & it aint all fun fun fun. -nuff RASpects+
May 17, 2004 12:32PM
Dubguy you can give the props to DJ Big Jim on that one. It was his idea. It's in one of the older posts from a few months ago. I don't remember it getting too much attention, but the idea is a good one. The only problem I see is if something like that happened during the music. You already have two stages to split between you. I don't see how that would work unless they do it on a day without music or early in the morning. A lot of people would like to go I'm sure, but the music comes first ya know? Where's Jim to comment on this? Holla Big J!!!!

fourtwentyplenty
May 17, 2004 07:11PM
Why so much negitivity on such a simple subject?
In native terms the drum is the same as the flute.
If you here my sound come to it.
My brothers and sisters hear me when the drum sounds , it is my call
to come to camp and be by my side.
Washti, Jay
GG
May 18, 2004 09:47AM
The most common instrument at these drum circles: djembe

The djembe's original name: jebe bara

Meaning of 'jebe bara': unity drum

May 18, 2004 10:03AM
As a young youth im proud to say last year I witnessed a 30 person DRum CirCle that changed my life! DEFINITLY MORE CIRCLES,
WE DO NEED TO TEACH THE YOUTH THE WAY!!!!
My favorite Artist Maynerd James Keenen has enlightend my mind to so many things in his Music with his workings with tool and Aperfect Cirlce.
a Passage from one of his songs was something like this: "The youth will crumble enless we grow and strangthen our communication, the light the fire that has burned for so; to set our souls in to motion". (can't seem to recall the rest)
I have a die hard love affair with the rock band T00L
but anyway.
MORE DRUM CIRCLES INDEED, This year at the festival im buying my first Drum!
I Can't wait
Peace and Love
Pale Ryder
May 18, 2004 10:39AM
I play congas, but dont want to bring them because you would not here congas over all the djembes, they are a much louder drum than the conga, but I should bring one of em just for the fun of it....
May 18, 2004 10:58AM
I have a dejembe & dont feel that I can play a lick! But, I will be bringing my drum, so it can soak up the sweet vibes. So when I take it home, we will both have memories to share together...
May 18, 2004 02:06PM
I cant wait for my djembe Drum im getting at the fest, I wont be able to do much iether but hey everyone who can drum, on any drum, Should Drum most definitly at a place like THIS!
No drum to loud and no Drum to small to join in the runaround of touchdown beats all in all!

P.S. Every day is more intense: the wait and waiting to walk through that fence
-PKW

Happy Trails
GG
May 18, 2004 09:53PM
You don't have to be a pro.....you just have to LISTEN! Listen to other drummers and talk with them...have a conversation. It only gets muddy when everyone is trying to 'talk' at the same time. No need to fill all the spaces and wear yourself down....just listen...and speak in between and the sounds will be beautiful!

May 19, 2004 09:38AM
PKW - Danny Carey from Tool is an awesome drummer - play your djembe along with it and you'll be making swift strides (try to play around it).

GG - never heard "unity drum" history b4 - thanks for the knowledge!

Pale Ryder - I'll have my conga too (little congo)- too many djembes is rough to play along with sometimes - we should get a few "mellow" circles going too: where's the bongo / shaker / rainmaker / doumbek / etc. players! Maybe someone will bring a melodica!
Pale Ryder
May 19, 2004 09:44AM
Dubguy, Stevo has a melodica, and I am bringing my Congas for sure, at least one of them, and we have an acoustic guitar too. We should meet up for a mellow jam while pepper is playing, or whenever...
May 19, 2004 11:18AM
Dubguy pleaze leave your tool cd @ home for dis festival. do u remember their live album many,many yearrz ago? well if your a tool nut u probley already kno in middle of their recorded & released set dem stop between song to quote" get dat bob marley wanna be the hell out of here" with crowd cheering on with sneerz. im pretty sure that line iz correct may have a differnt few wordz but their message iz very clear & downplayed by the followerz of dis disgusting band. LeberRAHchi-chi waz a great piano player aswell but him also have a ****** up message for the youth. more fyah*
Pale Ryder
May 19, 2004 11:21AM
Didn't the lead singer of tool have his lower ribs removed so he could suck his own d---? That is foul...
May 19, 2004 11:24AM
i* thought dat waz mary mansion?
Pale Ryder
May 19, 2004 11:37AM
both of them!
May 19, 2004 12:38PM
I didnt need to know that...
May 19, 2004 12:54PM
LOL In deed no tool shall be played here, Have you heard Lateralus, thier newist CD, The have grown so much dude that the 4 of them as people could really enjoy and love this festival! That was a whole different time for T00L and yes it was Through that bob marley wanna be mother ****** out of here.
But that's all part of the growing expierience Learning to shead their skin,
No that wasn't maynerd(the singer) that was a guy who was backstage at one of their shows. its a Famous photo of the band sitting around watching this guy do that to him self. And that was a rumor with M&M ( Marlyn Manson )

Thanks for the feed back dubguy.
And if you never liked the old tool but did find it catchy, I highly recomend looking into La-ter-al-us, With an open mind of course
Much Respect
-PKW
May 19, 2004 05:04PM
No worry's - I won't be playing Tool at this fest (LOL) - but Maynard has a lot to say nowadays, and if the comment offended - check out the song about censorship on the same album ("I can say what I want to - even if I'm not serious..."winking smiley which is indicative of where his head was at, back then. I might sneak a Sabbath song or two in there though...roots music of a different color, and songs like War Pigs, Electric Funeral and Wicked World were protesting Babylon about the same time Marley's cry became a mighty roar. Not to say all their songs are conscious, but they had their moments during troubled times...(give After Forever a listen...you may be surprised!)

Punky reggae party....
May 19, 2004 05:13PM
well wether or not dem said it or not dey print & publish it & gwan & sell it to the massive(hint,hint). second thought take a listion to a band called NO MEANS NO(from B.C.). dem guyz would school TOOL easy in the talent feild of hard noise rock & have a more controversial conception of attitude with twisting lyricz. but @least give dem credit for staying on Alternative Tentacle record label & not selling dem self so cheap like TOOL has az a repeated offender. so anywayz if dem rumerz or not on other ting i* dont care to mention twice the whole vibration iz conspicuous with a dark rain cloud over the head.(did i* uze nuff con-wordz?) further more wolf mon, only reptiles(serpents) shed dem skin & only JaH* can save dem NOW* catch dis NOW* i*ya. NOW* back to the binghi drumbz dem the real load for ya mit! seen? -RASpects+
May 19, 2004 05:54PM
-well any wayz dubguy i* really feel bad for what happen to ozzy & the crew dem tryed to keep it level by not takeing sides public but dis Oz-fest kraze iz really promoting some bad vibrationz. i* pray for dem & the washed up punky reggae party scene of today aswell. -RASpects+ back to the beatz*
May 19, 2004 06:42PM
Yeah - Ozzy lost it a long time a go - too many drugs will mess you up! Stick to the herbs...

truth
May 20, 2004 09:18AM
MUCH!
Yes.
yes
yes
May 20, 2004 09:34AM
I LOVE DRUMMING, REALLY AWSOME TRIBAL MYSTIC DRUMMING!!
AND I LOVE THIS FESTIVAL YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GG
May 27, 2004 11:32AM
How about a good subject back to the top?
Re: DRUM CIRCLES - Dubguy!!
May 27, 2004 01:58PM
Dubguy do you remember, i think to years ago at the fest, Osomatli did a horn section of Iorn man.
That got my dad all excited.
Peace and Love
May 29, 2004 08:36AM
Really?!? - I missed that one! I would have been excited too - hilarious!
I just got home from work - cracked a coldie, had a word with my chalice and put in some Brent Lewis ( [www.brentlewis.com] ) - orchestrated tribal drums (really!). Made me think of this post! Can't wait to talk drums with everyone!

boom boom
tak - tak - a
boom boom
tak
boom boom
tak - tak -a
boom boom
tak...

Keep the rhythm STRONGG!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login