Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

REGGAE IN VIRGINIA?????

Posted by one heart 
one heart
REGGAE IN VIRGINIA?????
June 29, 2005 07:13PM
Greetings all.....

I know most of you are probably on the west coast, but is anyone in or around the Virginia area??? Trying to get some info. on the runnins in the VA Beach/Norfolk area. Help!!!!!!!
one heart
Re: REGGAE IN VIRGINIA?????
June 29, 2005 07:17PM
Sorry....I was a little hasty there. I just saw the flyers for the shows coming up at the Jewish Mother--nice. Give thanks for all the works that are making these things happen. Anything happening the weekend of July 8th? Other venues in the area to check?

Peace
June 29, 2005 07:26PM
I'm from northern VA, but jahboo seems like the man you need to talk to. also check virginiareggae.com

peace bredda
June 29, 2005 07:36PM
if i'm not mistaken i think there is a site solely dedicated to VA reggae scene, but i may be wrong.

i do know that toots and the maytals play today in Virginia beach at the verizon wireless amphitheater.

steel pulse and the wailers play ntelos pavilion in portsmouth, VA on the 8th. and if that isn't your cup of tea then erykah badu plays in VA beach on the same date. the wailers have a handful of shows on the 9th (glen allen) and the 10th (ashburn).

SOJA plays on the 13th (falls church) along w/ matishayu on the same date (jewish mother).

The all good festival is that weekend on the 15th (richmond).

Karl Denson's Tiny Universe is july 31 at jewish mother, not reggae, but very nice - you'd enjoy.

and john brown's body plays august 20 and 21 (VA beach, Arlington).

knock yourself out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its supposed to be a challenge. That's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy, it would just be the way. -Road Trip
June 29, 2005 07:46PM
Nice ATLiens, JBB at the Clarendon Ballroom in Arlington.

I did not know about that, and its right down the street...
altho its kind of a strange venue for a reggae show
June 29, 2005 09:43PM
actually that show isn't all reggae ... just JBB and JAH works ... plus a couple other bands ... it's a benefit / fund raiser for the invisiblechildren foundation ...

and thanks for listing most of the reggae happs ... here's even more for ya !

check for the Spotlight Shows especially ... they'll feature national touring acts

The Jewish Mother - QuiVa Productions - Humble Ark present ...

"Summer Reggae Series" @ The Jewish Mother
located at the corner of 31st & Pacific in Va Beach

Hosted by jahboo of Humble Ark
Gathering all the best local, regional & national reggae artists
under one roof !!!
The Summer Reggae Series will run through September

Calendar (all shows are $5 and start at 9pm unless otherwise noted)

Tomorrow Night :
Thu Jun 30 - "Summer Reggae Series" presents : The Clear I's Reggae Band
Local reggae band that blends familiar riddims and lyrics with their own lyrics and also original tunes

-------> Monday July 4th Lionheart Promotions presents
LUCIANO @ MP Caribbean Cafe on Holland Road in Va Beach !!!

Thu July 7 - "Summer Reggae Series" presents : Burnin' Smyrnans
don't know much about these cats

------> Friday July 8th Rising Tide presents
Steel Pulse/The Wailers & Dub Is A Weapon at
the NTelos Pavillion at Harbor Center in Porstmouth, VA

SPOTLIGHT SHOW :
Wed July13 - "Hasidic Reggae Superstar" MATISYAHU w/Humble Ark $15 / 9pm
This cat is taking the music & reggae world by storm it seems ... catch him in the intimate setting of the Jewish Mother ... I can almost promise you he will be in a bigger spot next time ... this show should be sold out easily so get your tix soon ... there's a big buzz around town from all people ... jewish community centers ... hippies ... rastas ... hip hop and the average joe ... everyone asks me who this guy is when i play him on the sound ... like i said after this ... your best bet will be the NorVa or the Amphitheatre and big festivals ...

Thu July 14 - "Summer Reggae Series" presents : The Prisoners(Soulfinger)

SPOTLIGHT SHOW :
Fri July 15 - Scholar's Word w/jahboo on dubs $7 / 9pm
these guys are a great roots/dancehall mix from FL ... recorded their last 2 releases here at Humble Ark ... check for them ... i'll be running the live dubwise this night ... BlackStarLiner Sound will be the featured sound this night ... we'll also be releasing the new DUB cd this night
'Scholars Word meets jahboo at Humble Ark in the Tribe of DUB' on Humble Ark Records

SPOTLIGHT SHOW : BIG BIG BIG SHOW !
Possibly your only chance to see these artists together ever !
Tues July 19 - "GLOBAL REGGAE FEST" $15 / 9pm featuring
Gomba Jahbari from Puerto Rico, Jahcoustix from Germany, Kwame from Ghana, Sons of Thunder from Jamaica, ST Kitts & US & BlackStarLiner Sound
This is 1 of only 3 appearances for these artists in the US !!! This will give you your ROOTS REGGAE FIX FOR REAL !

Thu July 21 - "Summer Reggae Series" presents : Nature's Child
local Reggae Band playing Covers and some Originals ... Fun Time

SPOTLIGHT SHOW :
Thu July 28 - "Summer Reggae Series" presents : Trumystic - $7 / 9pm
Wicked dubwise reggae with Female vocalist ... very very nice indeed !

Thu Aug 4 - "Summer Reggae Series presents : Shyar(formerly of Burning Spear)
Thu Aug 11 - "Summer Reggae Series" presetns : Mystic Vibrations
Thu Aug 18 - "Summer Reggae Series" presents : Dubconscious

SPOTLIGHT SHOW :
Fri Aug 19 - H.R. w/Dubb Agents, also Duburbia, Grinding Faith and Carlton Livingston(he's on the west coast leg - not positive about the east coast leg yet ... but i sure hope so !!!) $10adv /$13dos 9pm

SPOTLIGHT SHOW : U.S. Reggae Stalwarts ... BIG FULL REGGAE SOUND
Sat Aug 20 - John Brown's Body (J.B.B.) $15 / 9pm

Soldiers of JAH Army play the ECSC on Aug 28 0r 29 not sure ...

for more info : The Jewish Mother (757)422-5430
for booking please visit QuiVaProductions.com
June 29, 2005 09:46PM
i got a little quick on the trigger too ...

email me at jahlion777@aol.com

also check [www.virginiareggae.com] a site livicated to reggae in the 757 (Hampton Roads)

hey Treez ... you gonna see Gomba Jahbari and Jahcoustix up there in Falls Church at the State Theatre ? you really should

also did you catch Midnite in DC a few weeks back ? just wondering how it was .

Post Edited (06-29-05 14:49)
June 30, 2005 03:30PM
What up Jahboo,

No, I missed the Midnite show in DC, but I will be at the State Theater for the Gomba/Jahcousitx/SOJA show...Kwame might be there too (although I've never heard his music before), also I think the Iternals will be playing...there an up and coming dub band from up here.

They put on a similar show a while back, Gomba was really tight, then Jahcoustix came on and did a solo acoustic set, I think he was just trying to check out the vibe over her in the U.S. before he brought an entire band with him like he is this time.

anyway im looking forward to it..

thanks for all the info

peace
June 30, 2005 04:36PM
as far as i know ... Gomba is backing Jahcoustix and Kwame down here ... at least that's what the booking agent told me ... yeah I caught the Richmond show with SoJA/Jahcoustix & Gomba Jahbari ... I have a soundboard of most of the show including the last tune when Jahcoustix and Jacob came up and held the mic with Gomba ... nicey nice !
June 30, 2005 06:35PM
ahhhh...Jahcoustix is prolly just being backed by Gomba up here too then...(Not a bad idea as Gomba are soooo money on the respective instruments)

hey I gotta a nice Gomba soundbourd and also a stellar Cultura show on cd...hint hint
July 01, 2005 12:46AM
holla at me ... we can set up a swap ... i also have a GJ board from PR at their cd release ... 2 disc
July 02, 2005 04:58PM

You don't wanna miss this show. Hampton/Bahir Dar is right thru the tunnel and it will be worth your ride. Vibes will be real nice !!!

I GRADE SUMMER TOUR 2005 - Featuring Army, Abja, NiyoRah, Ancient King & Aba Shaka. Backed by Blackfoot.

JULY
Sat. July 23 Hampton VA, - Bahir Dar (757.723.0100 17 E.Queens Way-Downtown Hampton)

Bless!

July 02, 2005 08:14PM
ahhhh Nice to see this show coming ! wish I could set something up for that day but the venue I deal with didn't have Saturday available ... this will be a nice show indeed ! BIG UP TIPPY & CREW !
July 05, 2005 08:15PM
Give thanks for all the info.!!!! Wow. Ask and you shall recieve around here, eh??? I really am grateful for the info. and hope to be able to check some of these shows this summer. I think Matisyahu and the I-Grade Tour are my top priorities right now. We'll see how things play out..... Large up the VA reggae massive!
July 05, 2005 09:13PM
you really should trust me and make the Global Reggae Fest a Priority as well ... for real ... even if i wasn't promoting the show ... i'd say the same ... and for the Matis show ... you might consider getting an advance ticket ... Jewish Mother says they've been getting a lot of calls and sold a lot of tickets and we have had a few JCC's tell us they may be bringing groups ... so just a head's up ... but ... email me ... get my cell number and if anything ... call me if you can't get in to something ... peace

jahlion777@aol.com
July 05, 2005 11:48PM
wanted to add that the spotlight shows are all ages and non-smoking(cigs)
July 11, 2005 03:43PM
Thanks again, Jahboo. The global reggae fest is most definitely a top priority for me, but I was looking more at what would be realistic given my work schedule. But, you never know. Things might just work out! peace
primo patrix
July 11, 2005 05:13PM
July 12, 2005 02:21AM
level the vibes
July 15, 2005 03:33PM
I GRADE Records along with VIVAH will be hosting a RAM session in Hampton VA @ Bahir Dar Ethiopian Restaurant on 23rd Lion Month-July 23rd 2005. Don't miss this massive event with Recording Artist... ARMY, NIYORAH, ABJA, and ANCIENT KING backed by the Blackfoot Band! Sound system by ABA SHAKA of the Musical Ark of Jah Kovenant Sound. Come see, vibe, and experience along side the St. Croix family for a conscience livication to H.I.M. EMPROR HAILE SELASSIE I on this historic Earth-Day celebration. Word… Sound.. and Power. For Ivamore & Ivamore!

Be sure to check IGRADERECORDS.COM for a IGRADE 2005 Summer touring date near you!

Peace
Amma
one heart
July 16, 2005 04:45AM
give thanks, almateen. my hope is to travel from NC to hampton for the show. we'll see how the week goes........

bless
Almateen...any more recommendations?
July 26, 2005 11:35PM
I saw you posted on here Almateen...I called you a while back about the Igrade show in Hampton but I wasn't able to make it...family emergency unfortunately. Any more recommendations that aren't on this page already..because I know of most of them already.

Thanks! =)
July 27, 2005 01:05AM
good to see the i earthquake on the board !
Seko
July 27, 2005 02:02PM
IF ONLY ONE COULD GET A COPY OF THE AUDIO FROM THAT SHOW AHHHHHHHHHHHH HOW SWEET IT WOULD BE!!!
July 27, 2005 08:11PM
hmmmmmmmm
Amcstar
January 24, 2006 03:36AM
X-C.O.R.E. an international non-profit organization is proud to present “Positive Vibration Reggae Benefit”. Headlining the show will be Washington DC’s own Lionize and Jah Works from Baltimore, Md. Special guests include The Iternals and Dr. Dubenstein and the Lab Rats. This reggae event will be held at the renowned 9:30 Club, 815 V St. N.W. in Washington, DC on Thursday February 2nd, 2006.

This is the week of Marley's Birthday!!!!! Come out and Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login