Advanced

the best ever Culture LP

Posted by SOLID ROCK 
SOLID ROCK
the best ever Culture LP
August 04, 2005 04:16PM

In Culture

--

following up on Penny's recent post of Blue Mountain 10, i was thinking about this record which i can say is one of my top LPs of all time.

incredible harmony work over a range of styles.. very heartfelt, and heavy yet uplifting.

originally released as a Music Track LP, it was reissued by Heartbeat in 1991 i think and has appeared more recently on a low-cost label.

grumpy 70's-roots-only people need not apply.. this is a syn-drum thing.. but if you can pry your mind open to this you will reap the reward...

--
trinitymlk
Re: the best ever Culture LP
August 04, 2005 04:21PM
We are in agreement Solid.

Woooooooo

Tell our brothers down in South Africa Lawd...dat we soon come.
HIGHPRAISE
August 04, 2005 04:23PM
Step along my brothers step along ......
SOLID ROCK
August 04, 2005 04:24PM

yes man

we are paaaaaaaaaaaaart of all their troubles..

how about "old tattoo"?
August 04, 2005 04:38PM
Well "Peace and Love" is a great song, and there are several other strong selections on that album, but i would have to rate TwoSevensClash higher.
HIGHPRAISE
August 04, 2005 04:42PM
Two Sevens Clash top top choice ... My first Culture album at the age of 14 .. Many great memories linked w/ that album for I ... Many ah those songs still bring on chills and tears ...
August 04, 2005 05:55PM
Culture coming to Austin, Texas August 11th...Two Sevens Clash also one of my favorites~

Conscious Party Photos
copyright 2005
Joseph Hill Rebel Salute 01/15/05

Post Edited (08-04-05 19:11)

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
The man
August 05, 2005 01:10AM
I agree with Dan. 'Two Sevens Clash' is my favourite, followed closely by 'Africa Stand Alone'.

Reel
Ranking Yoni
August 05, 2005 03:44AM

Big up Culture!
Honourable mentions go to International Herb and Baldhead Bridge.
August 05, 2005 07:11AM
just listened to two 7's twice in a row last night on a little road trip ...

5 to 1 !!!

although i think my vote goes to lion rock even though it's more of a solo jh album ... wicked stuff
SOLID ROCK
August 05, 2005 08:46AM

> my vote goes to lion rock even

tough call... another great, great set

"disobedient children" blows my mind every time... and the title track still works for me every time even in some clubs
August 05, 2005 09:56AM
JH, consistently the tight&ruff music master, he carries such a large song-book of truly first rate numbers it's amazing. Even w/ all the respect he gets, IMO
Joseph is still under-rated. SR, that album is soo sweet, & yes, yuh can turn
the room when any number of tracks from it gets turntable time...

Recommended selection maybe over-looked: the great version of 'Calling Rastafari' on the Nighthawk release of the same name---it trumps the Joe Gibbs original, it is so fine every time I hear it my heart is moved and I wanna hold up my hand ....
jb welda
August 05, 2005 10:01AM
another one that trumps the original: lion rock from peel sessions.

that brings up my main problem with culture: the joe gibbs stuff sounds very thin and thats the way their sound comes off in person too. ive been very unimpressed with culture since about the 90s but evidently thats just me.

speaking of calling rastafari: i wish that would get a decent reissue. the cd version of it that was available sounds like all the life has been sucked out of it. the original vinyl sounds very dynamic and its a shame the reissue doesnt live up to it because it contains some great re-dos of some killer stuff, esp herbs pirate by itals (dont know if that one is strictly a re-do though).

one love
jah bill
August 05, 2005 10:05AM
An JB, howsabout the live version of 'Too Long In SLavery' from the Peel?
Again, bettah than the studio version, which was fine, but JH really lays it down
in the live take.
August 05, 2005 10:26AM
Papa Ray. What year was that Peel session that features "Too Long In Slavery"?

I have a copy of the 2002 John Peel session, but that song was not included in that set.

Here is a link to "Lion Rock" from the 2002 session, followed by some live Roots Natty (MBRF 2002), Zioniers, Ken Boothe, Sister Carol, Carlton and The Shoes and more.....

[www.ireggae.com]
SOLID ROCK
August 05, 2005 10:31AM

coming down the line from "too long..." t

would add that Heartbeat's "Production Something" collection from a few years back is a wicked, wicked set as well... probably would rate it as the best attempt at a Culture "best of"
jb welda
August 05, 2005 10:44AM
yeah i think personally that production something is right up there. decent sound on that one too.

the peel sessions EP i know of was released in the mid 80s or so daniel, heres whats on it:

culture: john peel sessions: too long in slavery/two sevens clash/lion rock/armageddon (strange fruit 12"winking smiley

dont really remembering all that impressed with too long...but i would probably guess it sounds better than the original official studio cut. i think i do remember some killer vocals on it though.

whats this 2002 peel session release youre referring to?

and how come youre not up at rotr daniel?

one love
jah bill
August 05, 2005 11:59AM
I'm heading up there in the AM JB. I couldn't justify taking the night off just to go and see Jr. Reid (who I saw last Friday).

And here is a link to the John Peel Session from which the above track was taken:

[www.bbc.co.uk]
bmd
August 05, 2005 12:04PM
'Africa Stand Alone' for me....
August 05, 2005 12:15PM
yeah lion rock peel session is wicked ...

i couldn't believe when jh & co. dropped that live in 2003 in the OBX

where just 2-3 years earlier i had asked Joseph if we would hear anything off lion rock ... he kinda smirked and said "neh" good to see it pop out ...
jb welda
August 05, 2005 12:27PM
daniel so this peel session from 2002 is actually available somewhere for sale? dont think ive ever seen it.

one love
jah bill
August 05, 2005 12:33PM
No, I don't believe it is for sale JB. The recording I have was taken off the BBC web site. On the other hand, I don't have the session from the 80's so I think we've got a 'cultured' trade in the making...
August 05, 2005 12:35PM
'have to rate TwoSevensClash higher"
it's about time i*dren Daniel marks sumting iNi can agree with*
(Reggae on the Mesa* any1?)
-RASpects+
August 05, 2005 12:39PM
You mean you didn't think i was on the 'mark' with my request to bring Queen Omega, Macka B, Natty King, SOJA and Pressure to SNWMF this year JM?
August 05, 2005 12:41PM
>good call on dat yes but dem ALL got slammed to bottom of line-up*
>wha gwan with dat?
-RASpects+
jb welda
August 05, 2005 12:44PM
yes indeed daniel, and if you dont have the misty in roots peel session then that can be thrown in as well. the slits session is pretty cool too but pretty far removed from reggae as we know it (but produced by dennis bovell)

one love
jah bill
August 05, 2005 12:49PM
1. I don't make the line-ups.

2. In spite of the fact that i think these artists (along with Sugar, Abyssinians and the VI crew) were the highlights of the festival, I think their places in the lineup were about right. People like Steel Pulse and Toots have earned their 'place' atop a line-up based upon their decades of contributions. IMO Shaggy has also earned his 'place', it's just not anywhere near SNWMF......
August 05, 2005 12:51PM
And for the record, I have been to hundreds of reggae festivals and have yet to see the BEST performance turned in by the 'headlining act'....
August 05, 2005 12:55PM
>for SOJA & Pressure i* hear u they are new comers>
>on natty king mite have to do with 5th element backing him & dem needed to bail early for next gig.
>but for q.omega & macka b iNi can any hope he/her got same pay has sugar or any1 else pon level cause dem set vibe for whole weekend. rite off bat. no 1 had to wait for the pro's set ect. especialy since i* know of BIG group who went just 2'C him straight ya kno*
(next time bring professor on the mixx*)
-RASpects+
August 05, 2005 01:04PM
Macka B and Mad Professor have parted ways, so don't look for that combination anytime in the near future.

I agree that Natty King should have been later in the day, but at the expense of who? He is much more of a 'newcomer' than any of the artists that followed, and you've gotta show people like Sugar, Abyssianians, Morgan Heritage and Luciano their respect.... The only 'flip' that would have been even remotely 'proper' would have been to put Lutan Fyah on before him, but Warren felt that Lutan would be a good seg-way in between Natty King and what was supposed to have been Turbulence....
August 05, 2005 01:13PM
>Lutan has more ites dub's than Natty & Turbo(plenty of slack riddims) put together*
>cant really C' professor & macka parting ways. u any more facts on this? not to mention mad also produced q.omega aswell. it would have been off the hook*
alot of people were praying for dat* o'well cant a have own cake & it too.
-RASpects+
August 05, 2005 01:23PM
I was only relaying what was told to me by Mr. MacFarlane....
August 05, 2005 01:29PM
>seen*
>>Peanuts any1?
>moving on up^
-RASpects+
August 05, 2005 06:34PM
hey jah bill--that peel sessions was recorded in late '82 and released in '87, and the versions are inspiring to say the least.

m.

TR-808
February 27, 2006 10:59AM

great to see Culture in the arena for 06

--
February 27, 2006 11:02AM
true, culture rule tings,
February 28, 2006 02:35PM
I would vote for 2 sevens clash, Black Star Liner? This one gets my vote.
Ras the Builder
February 28, 2006 03:23PM
'Production Something' for me.

But

Culture is one of the few 70's acts who have released great albums right up to the 21st century. Check out 'Humble African' - easily makes the top 5 Culture albums.
February 28, 2006 03:42PM
Macka B would be nice to see...did he perform last year?

My fav Culture is Three Sides to My Story...many memories with this one.

--------------------------------

Post Edited (02-28-06 15:43)
Yabby You fan
February 28, 2006 04:59PM
I really like "Trod On". Lots of good memories from that album.

Of course, two 7's and Baldhead Bridge are great, too.

Yabby You fan
sly dog
February 28, 2006 05:03PM
One stone........Nuff crissis...fav track--Behold, babylon cant study
February 28, 2006 05:49PM
My fave Culture record is a 12" 45..."Dog a go Nyam Dog" on the Shank I Shek riddim, which appears on "Africa Stand Alone", a great old LP (I was told it's actually a bootleg) also featuring "Iron Sharpeneth Iron".
Jah Bdo
February 28, 2006 10:10PM
YEEEAAHHHH... CULTURE AT SNWMF 06'
February 28, 2006 10:39PM
I'm not ashamed....natty never get weary...and Behold...unforgettable songs that are words to live by. Jah Bless JaHill, he is teacher, statesman, and one of the hardest, dreadest and nicest beings on the earth. His band is always tight, with great licks from Robin on guitar.............who cares about the rest...CULTURE's the best.
March 01, 2006 05:40AM
i say alla dem r good!!!!!!!!!!
lion rock is a fine standout imho...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login