Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Press Tent Come Together

Posted by DJ BIG JIM 
Press Tent Come Together
May 19, 2004 10:38AM
Greetings,

Going to be very glad to be back at SNWMF this year again working at the Press tent as a volunteer for my station KUCI, I can't wait to get things going and hear some true words of wisdom from the artists, if you have any ideas how the press tent can run smoother this year, please feel free to drop some suggestions. I'd like to see even more color in the press tent, so if you got some things like tapestry or anything like that. Can't wait to get things going with press tent massive
Re: Press Tent Come Together
May 19, 2004 10:41AM
You could let me in. Im very colorful.
May 19, 2004 10:57AM
Two suggestions that I would like to see come to fruition:

1. Additional soundproofing. While it great to hear the music at the festival, it would be good if some blankets or other soundproofing was put up to minimize the amount of sound coming into the Press Tent from the outside.

2. Video. I think it would be great to have a video camera set up to capture that, along with the audio. As I recall, last year Big Jim had a video (his?) set up next to him throughout the festival. I would like to see that done again, but placed in a better position so as to be able to capture the images from a better angle.
May 19, 2004 11:48AM
Thanks Daniel for the suggestions
we will try to muffle the stage sounds if we can and I agree that video taping from the side would be better by someone in the back with a tripod, we will try to make that happen as well.
We are going to try to work the sound better this year as well, cut the screechies to a minimum
my props to you for helping to share videos and the music with the fans
May 19, 2004 02:52PM
Greetings big Jim!!
I look forward to seeing you and theresa and wendy this year. The host from our weekly show will be joining us this year, and I hear rumor of others from Madison Making the journey as well.
pretty soon there will be a Madison Massive attending SNWMF!

OH yeah, B-N-C is very colorful!

Michael
May 19, 2004 03:00PM
Yeah, Listen to Michael.
May 19, 2004 08:08PM
B-n-C,
are you gonna be stopping in Sac. this year?
I'll be there Wed. night.

Michael
May 19, 2004 08:11PM
I will probably be camping this year. Maybe we can link up on the way through or something. Plans are up in the air. So far I am going solo.
Zana
May 20, 2004 10:25AM
I'm sorry, not to sound like a complete dummy,what exactly is the press tent? What happens there? I've never scene it. It sounds like the obvious but then there is talk bout sound proofing.
May 20, 2004 11:58AM
Zana,
if you look left of the stage there is a backstage area and a tent that offers the radio/tv/written press an opportunity to come together and meet with each other, and some of the artists that perform @ SNWMF.
The tent is so close to the stage, and interviews occur during other performances, so a lot of the sound bleeds into the press tent making it difficult to hear the artists answer questions. hence the need for soundproofing. hope that answer your question.

Michael
Zana, You're no dummy
May 20, 2004 12:08PM
Zana you're not dumb for asking a valid question it seems like a lot of people don't know we exist.
I enjoy being a volunteer there and assisting with making it come together
Big up to Theresa, big Jim, Ras Danny, Sweet P, Jah Breeze and of Course Wendy and many others whose names I don't know!

Michael
May 20, 2004 05:28PM
Greetings Everyone,

InI look forward to meeting and working with you all in the press tent this year-
it should be a grand time
Blessed Love
Kabir In NM
press tent tech

oh yeah, i hope that I will be able to work out some kind of trade with some of you so that I can catch the Bands that I really dont want to miss,
Midnite, Dezarie, Femi Kuti, Antibalas and etc...
Zana
May 20, 2004 06:44PM
Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it.
Then I must say thank you for the good work you do!
Cheers!
May 20, 2004 07:40PM
Isn't there a building on-site where the press "tent" can be moved to, soundproofing seems like it may be very difficult to rig up successfully. Unless anybody has access to that insulation used in tall buildings, that stuff works great.

I agree there needs to be digital video archives of press tent interviews, if anybody has access to this equipment, please come forward. Jim's VHS is nice but if we can up the quality, let's do it.

Peace and One Love,
Jah-T
May 23, 2004 09:34AM
Kabir this won't be a problem. I'd like to see it work smoothly and if we can get as many artist to the tent, set up the times for interviews, and getting the press back in the tent at the right time. Last year the Press tent had some great moments like Pablo Moses and Sister Carol chanting "Dubbing is a must", Prince Buster talking about having a protest and no one showing up when it was time, Leroy Sibbles and Mikey Dread talking about "the rippoff game" in reggae, Pato Banton talking about educating the youth, Horsemouth speaking about Rasta. Every SNWMF I attend I leave curious about bands I've not really heard of, and wouldn't you know they have become my favorites. It seems like the press tent's major problems the HUGE sound from the main stage coming in and maybe an occasional torrent of water from somewhere, and the power to the press tent getting knocked off and on. But these are things we need to fix and move on.
If press tent crew can bring extra positive spirit and all those things we usually forget to bring, we should have no troubles.
If someone can print up some sign in sheets for me, I'd appreciate that my printer seemed to not want to do anything, just put on there
the DJ name, station, website, time on, contact email and phone, show name,
also need sign in sheets for other media, printed, photographers, tv -with the same info on it.
If anyone can think of some light or beacon we can put at the tent entrance, to alert the press that something is cooking in the tent and to come on back. A rotating red light might be good, if anyone has anything like that?
Don't forget to bring your personal equipment, extra blanks, recorders, film,
and I thought it be interesting if press tent crew and attending press djs will bring cds of their shows to pass around- it's always nice to hear reggae shows when the DJ's love the music and want to spread the word. I know I will bring some, Ras Danny from Oregon was the one who thought this idea last year and I've really enjoyed listening to his sets.
If anyone else has a video camera please bring that, I'd like to get a few angles in the tent so that we can share this next year on this website. Because like someone said, there is a press tent? I'd like to see Press tent move somewhere eventually so that we can include audience members-because their is truly some magic that happens in the tent, I've seen it over the last few years, to hear the artist speak his mind in this kind of forum- it is truly enlightening.
May 23, 2004 10:51AM
-Howdy peoplez+ yagga yo Kabir wha a gwan i*ya? (blessed luv*) iz dis really your e-mail? -RASpects+
May 23, 2004 03:44PM
Big Ups DJ Big Jim! Keep up the good works my brotha.

One love, Dave & Resin Music Crew
ReggaeNation.com

May 24, 2004 08:14PM
Big Jim, Theresa, Wendy, MadTown Michael, Daniel, Jah-T, Kabir & everbuddy else. Bless up!
feeling pumped up an reddy fi GO... jus about 24 daze til I&I creep outa Ptown headid fi frogtown an allya upful folks!
I have taken up the sign in sheet project, so no worries deh, eh... Jus ta let ya know, I have BUNCHES a copies of diffrint editions of I&I radio program ta forward ta all ya good folks, many more copies than last year... hope some otherz do the same... sum of ya I havnt met yet but I&I sure that wi gonna b inna good company... gonna b great loads of fun an Higher Reasonin's!!!

I havnt any suggestions 'cep ta forward with a positive, upful, and open consciousness...

highest Isis
Ras Danny RAW# 301
Higher Reasoning Reggae Time
KBOO Community Radio, Portland, OR
www.kboo.fm

May 25, 2004 01:19PM
As a working journalist last year I must say that conditions were not ideal last year.

The long-awaited session with Prince Buster was just 4 questions, Buster was simply too tired, and the tent was too noisy.

I had an interview with Pablo Moses but it took place in that little picnic area backstage. Again, the stage noise was too much, particularly because Pablo was hoarse from performing. There is no way you can have proper interviews from the backstage area.
jb welda
May 25, 2004 02:36PM
i think the interview area should be moved inside the building, stage left, or since that is the artist "hospitality" area, i think the tent (if that remains) should be on the other side of or behind the building. there is simply no way youre going to minimize the noise sufficiently to make it a serious interview environment by mere soundproofing an essentially unsoundproofable environment.

it might be too late to change the location, but a change must come. it was too noisy to think last year, much less communicate.

one love
jah bill
May 25, 2004 03:49PM
Ras Danny,
Big Big Up!!
I still listen to the cd from your show last year
I can't wait for more!

Ras-pect

Michael
regpara
May 26, 2004 03:57AM
big jim, you changed your mind? gonna be at snwmf?
May 26, 2004 10:29AM
I don't know if we will get the bldg like we want, any one have any ideas for where the press tent might go in the future to fight the sound, the dancehall bldg for example, if we are in the tent again, anyone have sound fighting knowledge and ideas? I didn't think I was going to be able to make it this year, with gas being so cheap(kidding) but how could we miss another time to skank down and dance under the stars and be with our extended reggae family?
June 02, 2004 10:35AM
Anyone planning on bringing extra water or coolers for press tent?
planning on bringing decorations?

Looks like we will be back in the tent again, so prepare for the sound from the stage, I hope we can move this tent into a better location or perhaps a bldg next year and have some audience interaction as well.
Think I have the beacon thing figured out, a strobe light to call the press?
June 04, 2004 04:03PM
hello,

my name is nate and I'm the reggae dj at the university of southern california's student radio station KSCR 1560 am and kscrradio.com. I emailed to info@snwmf about the possibility of a press pass, but have received no reply. What's the deal with press passes? can I get one? how can i get access to the press tent?

I would highly appreciate learning from anyone who knows.

thanks
June 07, 2004 09:24PM
Nate,

you need to email or contact Mara. She is the one to speak with about press access. Big Up So Cal reggae Radio! It is always best to contact well ahead for access on press access, but I hope to see you up at the press tent in a week or so. Also Nate its a good idea to bring some kind of credentials, whether it's a listing in the local reggae magazine, newspaper, printed media and bring along a tape of your show.

Big Jim, KUCI DJ
June 07, 2004 09:53PM
nate
what Big Jim seh... DJ BIG JIM wrote:
June 08, 2004 11:53AM
thanks a lot.

but, uh, how do i get in contact with mara? there's no phone numbers and barely any email addresses on the snwmf website. i hope i have enough time to swing it.

thanks. much appreciated
jb welda
June 08, 2004 12:50PM
there is a phone number on the posters and it was going to get put on the website but maybe that slipped through the cracks.

916 777-5550 i believe.

one love
jah bill
June 14, 2004 07:34PM
SO SO SO looking forward to this show, still packing the car at this point, but I am so excited to see some of my favorite performers this Year, Femi, Ras Michael, Clinton Fearon, Fully Fullwood Band, Don Carlos, Is Vibes and of course, the amazing Burning Spear. Our drive up will be 7 or 8 hours, have to load the car cd player with some goods to get our anticipation bubbling. I am looking forward to meeting and greeting our Brothers and Sisters of the Radio, Print and Media once again, I hope we will get all our interviews down and are able to ask good questions for our performers.
But I thought I'd open this forum up for the massive out in the audience, so i will be posting to a new topic...
Respect
Rich "DJ Spleece" Moore
June 15, 2004 11:41AM

Jim!

Looking forward to seeing you and as usual, discussing the state of things. When are you going up & where will I find you? Will you be a press tent prisoner all weekend? rasta smiley)

-spleece
June 15, 2004 03:26PM
Spleece,

Leaving tommorow WEDs night, fly by night to Angels Camp, be in the Press Tent all weekend, looking forward to seeing you and family,

Respect,
BIg Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login