Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

in the dancehall: which sound style on which night?

Posted by advo 
advo
in the dancehall: which sound style on which night?
February 10, 2004 03:38PM

hmmm...

all based on rumor and speculation, but i'm curious what people think:

i've heard that one possibility for the dancehall this year is similar to what was done last year, where there was a different sound system style on Friday and Saturday nights: one modern-style night (Stone Love/M. Crown), and one foundation sound night(SturGav).

i know there is a strong relationship with Stone Love, so it's possible Rory will be back. i've heard there is a possibility of another foundation sound coming to play on the other night.. so hemy question is which sound (or which style - modern or foundation) is better for which night?:

which sound style do you like better for Friday?

and which for Saturday?

again.. all based on rumor and speculation, but i'm curious just the same!!!

peace

ps- about 130 days, right?
advo
Re: in the dancehall: which sound style on which night?
February 10, 2004 03:39PM

> so hemy question

oops - make that:

so my question
jb welda
February 10, 2004 03:48PM
one correction: last year crown played immediately before sturgav, didnt they?

to answer your question from my perspective, i say friday night modern, sat night foundation. but the real issue is getting the sound system good and right for both nights, not last minute sound checks when its too late to make necessary (and possibly painful) adjustments.

in that light, the question really is, who wants to risk their favorite to a less than optimal sound system (a possibility)...that would be friday night.

i know we all do what we can to make it perfect but mistakes do sometimes manage to creep through.

one love
jah bill
advo
February 10, 2004 03:52PM
ahhh... that's right! thanks for the fix-up there.

agree with your points, and your opinion too: i think the more hype style is a better Friday night/kickoff party, and the foundation style takes us to the peak of vibes, deep inside Saturday night!
bun n cheese
February 10, 2004 03:58PM
I cant really tell you how very much I enjoyed Mighy Crown. I wish they could have gone on longer.

mix it up as far as im concerned.

I think it is smart to have something entertaining like Stone Love without being so heavyweight like a foundation sound on Friday night.

And will the dancehall be open during the day this year???

it kinda sucked last year that it was locked off. I like checking daytime DJ's and deejays.
February 10, 2004 04:03PM

i think it will stay locked during the day again this year. it costs a lot of money per hour to have it open, which is hard to justify against whether or not a certain next artist may or may not get brought in altogether...
February 10, 2004 04:06PM

so what's your vote bnc?
jb welda
February 10, 2004 04:13PM
i didnt notice it locked at all any day! though there certainly wasnt anything going on besides poppa top decorating it. but saturday was major revamp time and that wouldnt have been possible if a session was going all day.

one love
jah bill
bun n cheese
February 10, 2004 04:20PM
is the vote for which night should showcase a foundation set and which night should showcase a modern set?

Friday night would be the least amount of people. Could be very intimate ***a lot of potential***

I suppose it depends on the sounds we are talking about. I dont think Stone Love should be showcased on Saturday night. I like tradition, so Stone Love on friday night. Now, if they were backing say Lexxus and Sanchez then push them into Saturday front and center. but we know that will not happen.

I think being the type of show it is ***roots*** the utilitarian answer would be Foundation set on Saturday night. Greatest sound for the greatest many.

I like the hype of the dancehall in general. GRAB SUPM AND WAIVE!!!!!!
March 01, 2004 12:12AM
Yo Advo., How the vibes in a Chico? Everythings cool in the bay area.
Friday night: Modern style to get the party started!!!
Saturday night: Foundation style to take the massive to higher place...
Big papa joe(Imp.Unity hi-fi) sayes whats up? He's ready to roll an bus some
re-mixes!!!!!!!
peace-smokebomb

napabink
March 01, 2004 01:09AM
If I had it my way, it'd be no other way. Modern Friday, Foundation Saturday. I still think we should look to Europe for some more of that King David Style Earthquake Roots! Thanks again SNWMF for bringing Jah Shaka here! Can't wait to see who they got! Irie Ites.
advo
March 01, 2004 02:54PM

yo smokebomb, everything is level up here

need to come down there and work in somewhere, one of these nights.. let me know when you got a spot for me.. or at least we should link up at someone else's set and drink two red stripe, right?
poppatop
March 02, 2004 08:33AM
yo advo, you can always get a $3 stripe at the Bamboo Hut on Monday night, no cover...this is not an advertisement...roots on Saturday night in the dancehall hopefully with Ranking Joe.
jb welda
March 02, 2004 09:01AM
yo

yo yo

yo yo yo

i want to set up a red stripe hut, authentic jamaican roots style, in the dancehall.

yo yo yo

yo yo

yo

one love
jah bill
bun n cheese
March 02, 2004 09:10AM
you're acting like a yo-yo baby
just cant sekkle down.
you're acting like a yo-yo baby
round and round and round.
TR-808
March 02, 2004 09:14AM

looks like jb had two red stripe before posting, yo!

> i want to set up a red stripe hut, authentic jamaican roots style, in the dancehall

but yes this would be big.. nice for the dancehall patrons and nice for the vendor.

nice too if they had a few little bottles of peenie wallie and of course some roots tonic.. maybe MC Rocky Bailey style
March 05, 2004 02:15PM
Don't forget your earplugs so we can go on enjoying this here music well into our 70's and 80's and beyond!!!!!!!!
Peace and ear protection rights forever!
A3
April 06, 2004 02:51PM
Big up advo!!!

This is papa joe reachin out for the man Solid Rock.
I'll be playing April 11th and the 18th at King of Kings in Berkley. The 18th is my earthday celebration and King of Kings 2 year aniv. featuring Determine. I have already cleared it with the promoter (Smokey) for you to work in a set, so let me know. If not, I am usually there the first sunday of the month and your always welcome mi bredren. Looking forward to working this year at the festival so lets link soon to reason about that. I'll have the motor home again so perhaps that can be the place for the DJ's to be located/scheduled and communicated to with the changes that sometimes occur.
Jah Warrior Shelter ina de dance, Wisdom Records in effect, Rasta worldwide!!!

peace-papa joe (imp. unity hi-fi)
advo
April 06, 2004 03:05PM

just got your message papa joe. actually called you back, didn't leave a message though (how's your press on the remix on your message? mine is bad, but the Turbulence is better)...

anyway that all sounds good... motorhome link could be good.

i'll call you tonight.
April 06, 2004 09:21PM
Yes advo,
That whole shine-eye re-mix went down funnyman style but it sold all over the place. The presses I dropped were good. We'll make sure to set another aside for the I. Big up Iried JWS for the Turbulence remix for real !!!
(papa j says he expects set from you soon at King of Kings)
peace-SMOKEBOMB

April 06, 2004 10:57PM
I was @ King of Kings Sunday night. The GArnett Silk tribute (over an hour long) was excellent. One question tho, since youre a selector...do you know the riddim name of that hip-hop beat they remixed Sizzla's "Solid As A Rock" and Capleton's "Mi Deyah" over? I wanna say it's a 50Cent but not positive.
Bless
April 06, 2004 11:34PM
Big Up Papa Joe, Smokey, advo and all North and South posse in between. Tribe of kings just checking in for Roll Call. Those of you down south who want to check DETERMINE, be sure to be inside San Diego's Martini Ranch Sunday April 25th for what promises to be full vibes....

One love to Solid Rock, Papa Joe, Smokey, Jah Warrior Shelter, Wisdom Recs, Kings of Kings Sundays (SF) and of course, TOK sound massive....

soon come,
rashy

www.tribeofkings.com
April 07, 2004 10:22AM
King of Kings is not SF, it is Berkeley to bumboclaaath...

Respect same way
Acacia
April 07, 2004 01:38PM
Where is King of Kings? It's a venue? I have never heard of it.
Iri_I
April 07, 2004 01:56PM
Crown” by Jah Rule showcase Sizzla’s “Solid As A Rock”
April 07, 2004 09:43PM
thanks & respect Iri_I

Acacia, it's a dance every Sunday night @ the Shattuck Downlow club in Berkeley featuring Jah Warrior sound.
Acacia
April 08, 2004 11:10AM
Cool, I'll check it out.
Acacia
April 08, 2004 11:15AM
Who's the dj?
Stevo
April 08, 2004 05:40PM
Jah Yzer, Ivier, Irie Dole and guests.
April 08, 2004 10:14PM
April 18th will feature the conscious DJ from Jamaica name Determine. Check it out
Acacia
April 09, 2004 10:29AM
Yeah, I will check it out. What's the cover charge?
April 09, 2004 08:31PM
Not listed on the flyer, but in general it is affordable (my guess $10-15 range)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login