Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Timer

Posted by J 
J
First Timer
May 20, 2004 09:31PM
Hello,
I have never attented the SNWMF, but I am planning on going this year for the full three days, but I need some help. I have no idea what to expect... a lot of music, a lot of fun, and apparently a lot of heat...? I dont know what I should bring so that I come home somewhat intact from this event. Should I bring food? If so, what kind...umm I dont know, sleeping bag.... will there be showers....Help! Just let me now what is going on please if you have any advice, it is more than welcome...
-Jacquie

Zana
Re: First Timer
May 21, 2004 08:11AM
Hi Jacquie,
Last year was my first year so I know exactly what you're going through. What to bring, what's it like...?
You can definetely expect a lot of fun and music. The heat isn't so bad, only when you're trying to erect your tent. Other than that it is totally bearable. Just bring sunscreen, a squirt bottle and a shade canopy for your camping area. There is a lot of food vendors in the fairgrounds but if you arrive on Friday, you'll need to bring a lunch because doors don't open until 5pm. I bring snacks, fruit, coffee (there is a coffee/tea vendor outside the fair for the morning), trail mix, granola bars, etc. If you look under the "vendor" link, you can see what kinds of food will be available.
There are showers but depending on the time of day and which ones, there might be a line.
Here is a small list of suggested/essential items:

beer
water
shade
chair
tent/sleeping bag
warm clothes (it gets cold at night!)
cool clothes
sandals
blanket for mainstage sitting
baby wipes (I use to wipe my feet/face off before I go to bed)
earplugs (if you want to sleep in)
sunblock
extra T.P.
flashlight

Any other questions, just ask! I hope this helped some.
shaunsta
May 21, 2004 08:11AM
yea it gets very hot there,its a definet to bring shade and tons of water,but you will enjoy snwmf alot! i promise enjoy my brotha
May 21, 2004 09:45AM
A Good Tarp for Camp shade is a must.
Im going with 15 something people in a huge carravan (Can't Spell to well)
bring a cooler with fruits and veggies. Drinks and more drinks.
dehydration comes with the sun!
You will really enjoy this festival.
Q: Is it the first big reggea and/or music festival you've been to????
Its good to be prepared. You might want to bring your own TP too.
Any more questions just ask my friend.
PEACE AND LOVE
J
May 21, 2004 01:59PM
Thank you all for replying so quickly. I am so excited, this will be my first reggae event ever, and i really mean it when i say my first. i just started to listen to reggae this year, so i was looking on the web and ran into this festival, it sounded cool, so i am going. Well thank you all for letting me know what is going on...i am sure i will have more questions, but for now, i feel well informed.
Peace....Love....Unity
-Jacquie
May 21, 2004 02:02PM
Hey J...you must be the impasta rasta! JUST KIDDING!!! Welcome...you will not regret the time you spend at Sierra. Happy trails. Onward and upward...or whatever they say?
May 21, 2004 02:37PM
J,
Welcome to the family!!!
May 21, 2004 03:05PM
J-
don't forget you can't camp on the site on thursday nite. But if you check camping page on this site, it will give you some alternative places to camp on thursday.

Michael
J
May 22, 2004 06:00PM
I am really excited to go, but i have yet to purchase my tickets, and i am trying to convince some poeple to go with me so i do not have to go stag as they say(i.e. alone) because that would suck... i mean i know i would meet poele there, but it is fun going with poeple to, you get me??
-Jacquie

Zana
May 23, 2004 09:45AM
Hey Jacquie,
I know what you mean about it being more fun with friends. But, the second festival I ever went to, I went alone (I'm female BTW). And, I forgot my duffle bag with my clothes and toiletries in it. I made friends there with no problems at all and had a really good time. I guess what I'm saying is that if you really want to go, you'll have a good time with or without friends. It would not suck. People are so friendly and hospitable. This festival only comes around once a year so don't wait until next year to finally go.
Put it this way, I plan on going to this festival for as long as it is around, with or without friends. I just can't be missed!
Let us know what you decide.
May 23, 2004 10:30AM
oops sorry sistren Jacquie forgive me i thought you were a guy
jah bless
J
May 23, 2004 12:27PM
Okay, first thing is first,
Zana- i know what you mean, and i am so going to go! No way are my stupid friends going to convince me not to go because they are not going! I mena, what is the worst that can happen, i drive up and back alone, but i have the best time of my life while i am there?
Shaunsta- No worries, i guess i should have put Jacquie as my name instead of J, but i really did not care, i mean i still got the responses that i needed.

So where r you guys from anyways?
-Jacquie
May 23, 2004 04:41PM
The first year at Angels Camp, 2001, it was very hot. 100+ degrees. last year, i thought it was very nice. around 80 or so. but last year was not average for the temps. it should be high 90's to 100's again so shade and water is a must. i'll buy a case of the small water bottles and freeze them for drinking and keeping things cold in my ice chest. i've also got one of those 10'x10' canopies for shade. and baby wipes are great if you don't want to wait an hour to take a shower.
May 26, 2004 11:25AM
im from reno nv and where are you from?
J
May 26, 2004 09:51PM
I am from Bay Area, Ca... you know i dont know if i will be able to make this one. Nothing is working out right now... i will know for sure by friday or so, so i guess it is not too long to wait. I really really want to go! I hope everything works out. Yeah, so if i go, i guess i will see you there, amongst the thousands that are there!
-Jacquie
May 27, 2004 10:08AM
9:13 walkie talkie!!

Happy Trails
flip
June 03, 2004 11:29AM
to the top
June 03, 2004 03:10PM
Idren/sistren, this will be my first festival ever. I am so excited but I have a few concerns. First, by looking at the site of past festivals, I see that it attracts perhaps thousands. My question is am I going to be able to see the stage? Also, could anyone give me good directions from BARSTOW? I am a three day ticket holder. Is the camping price per day or a one time fee? I am really looking forward to having a good time and meeting good people. Jah bless
June 03, 2004 03:13PM
You need to make a left turn at Albuquerque.
June 03, 2004 03:28PM
Shouldn't your name be Bugs and not Bun?
June 03, 2004 03:30PM
HA! Touche!

Camping cost is for the 3 days.

Yes, you will be able to see the stage. Visiblity forecast is irie and red.

This is a great fest, even better that it is your first. You will have a splendid time.

Big up!

Post Edited (06-03-04 15:30)
June 03, 2004 03:31PM
For your directions, I suggest hitting up mapquest.com.
June 03, 2004 03:38PM
Much thanks, I did hit up Map-Q. It seems a long drive. I was wishing for a simpler direction. Jah bless
dirtweed
June 03, 2004 04:03PM
barstow to stockton - stockton to angels camp.
June 04, 2004 06:35AM
and prepare for a rollercoaster ride...

Seriously - leave yourself plenty of time to drive - not the best road in the world. Safe journeys all!
June 04, 2004 08:23AM
Thanx and praises...
Acacia
June 04, 2004 11:03AM
Has anyone ever noticed the mapquest takes you out of your way to pass Starbucks?
Acacia
June 04, 2004 04:54PM
Hm, I guess not. Take note sometime.

1. Begin going W. on Pacific Ave.

2. Make a sharp right at 25th st.

3. Turn left onto Garden Terrace

4. Take Garden Terrace. .75 mi. to 23rd st.

5. Stop at Starbucks at the corner of Garden Ter. & 23rd, go inside and order a venti coconut cream chocolate coffee chai soy latte with extra whipped cream. Get back in your car.

6. Turn left on 23rd st. and head south 2.5 miles.

7. Turn right on to Pacific Ave. and go 3.8 miles to 2125 Pacific Ave.

Bon voyage!
J
June 04, 2004 10:11PM
I am glad to see this thread is getting some use! well, I have yet another question, what kind of activities go on during the day? I heard there are to be yoga classes? I dont know what is going on with that, oh well. I am so excited, 14 days left, wow! I wonder, you can bring alcohol, but not in the music area, or just not bottles and cans in the music area? Are candles allowed in the campground, incents too? I hope so, I am getting there rather late, and I dont want to be stuck near the bad smelling pool of cess (sp?).
Thank you all,
Jah bless and Much Love
-Jacquie

June 05, 2004 08:37AM
Hi Jacquie - Daytime? - get coffee/maybe get a bagel - bring blanket or chairs inside to sit on and wait for music to begin! There's stuff going on for the young ones too (like Afika Al's storys!) - but the music starts pretty early, with this many bands you got to. You can also meet more of us "older" folks easier - the younger ones stay up partying all night and sleep in late (us older ones stay up late too - just know how to moderate, seen?) - HAHA.

Yes - you can bring booze... I don't think you're really supposed to bring it in the show (where they have beer and lots of goodies), but if you're cool about it (safe and sane plas-tic!) and don't make an ass out of yourself I think you're ok. Just don't overdue it too early ;-) .

Fya in the campground is a no no I do believe, but they are mostly concerned with grills/campfires. I think a strategically placed candle (where the partiers walking around can't knock it over, and where your tent doesn't go up in flames, is cool. Again - just use common sense. Incense - sure - you can always get some really fresh at the show...

Everyone just leave the dogs home this year - PLEASE!!! Hell - I love my dog, he's been my roommate/kid for 10 years now... but I don't have the time to dedicate the attention he deserves when I wanna be dancing with you all. Plus they wreak havok on surrounding neighbors..

tick, tock....tick, tock...
J
June 05, 2004 04:44PM
Thank you Dubguy, I appreciate your info. Yes, I guess all one needs is a bit of common sense, and I think I am okay in that department. Great, thank you.
Jah Bless and Much Love
-Jacquie
ps-13 and counting...

June 05, 2004 07:34PM
sis j.
bless up!

bring buncha good attitude, irie vibes, an Jah love fi spread 'roun...

ya gwaan hava BOOMBLAST! of a time!!!
June 05, 2004 11:41PM
YES I...RASTAFARI LIVES!!
jah no dead..seen

Mexican Rasta
Zana
June 06, 2004 01:05AM
Hey Jacquie, Did you ever get your friends to go with you or are you going solo? If you're going solo then we should try to meet up. You're always welcome to party and hang with us. I do nothing all day but chill and listen to the music though. Good times.
Zana
J
June 06, 2004 01:39PM
Zana-
Yeah, I finally worked everything out, so I am going with a group of like 13 people and I only know one of them... but who cares. I cannot wait to just chill as you say and listen the the good music. We should meet up thoug, it would be cool. I have no idea how we would go about doing that. I am so excited, just got a tent form my friend, and i am going to set it up this week to see if it is intact and what not. It should be fun.
Jah Bless & Much Love
-Jacquie
June 06, 2004 05:55PM
Hey Sister J,
I went to this amazing fest with myself in Marysville in 98 and 99 and never felt alone!
I wouldn't miss this one for the world. It's the best fest in the West, and quite possibly the East as well.
As the other family have said, extra tp and baby wipes are blessings! Shade, water and tarps for under your tent and your campsite keeps the dust down.
I pray for the same weather as last year! It was just enough heat during the day and cool at night, Perfection!
Arrive safely and be prepared dance and sing well into the am! Welcome home!
Peace, Adaria
June 06, 2004 07:02PM
wow! lots of love on this thread. welcome in advance to my home of beautiful (but dry) angels camp. The town has a full service supermarket, open til midnight, but the county fairgrounds is about three miles out of town. its a small town with a country vibe, but for the most part the locals appreciate the traffic the festival brings to town. Across the street from the lot is a convenient store-bait shop, and a short road that leads to New Melones Reservoir. The sun is intense, especially saturday because the music runs all day. The stages are to the east of the crowd, and there isnt much shade until late afternoon. Lately it has been sunny, but windy, in the high 80s.
please support small time local vendors while you are in town.
peace - danabis

ps you wont be alone!
J
June 06, 2004 07:41PM
Nice. thanky ou for the information. It is nice to know that if I run out of something that I cannot live without, I will just need to run 3 miles to the store, get it, and then be back in time for some more fun. I am not trying to be sarcastic... like running. Well, I will talk to you all soon enough.
Jah Bless & Much Love
-Jacquie

June 07, 2004 09:20AM
Ah J you just reminded me that my group went from 15 to 8
Im not sure if thats a good thang or a bad thing.
So it must be ok =) Alright!
Peace and Love

Happy Trails
J
June 07, 2004 12:20PM
I do not kow either, but who cares, by then end of the festival, you number will have increased significantly.
Much Love
-Jacquie
June 07, 2004 12:22PM
One love!
J
June 07, 2004 03:29PM
Jah Bless!
June 07, 2004 10:33PM
Freeze a whole bunch of water bottles. THen they are your ice and as they melt they are icy cold. It is hot, hot, hot. Cold water and lots of it is essential to bring.
J
June 08, 2004 07:36AM
yeah, that is what I was thinking about doing with my water bottles. Great idea! Is there any other last minute items people wish to make sure they bring, I don't know... like bug repellent?
Zana
June 08, 2004 08:03AM
Ok, everyone should know by now to bring shade. Well, you will also need an extra tarp or sheet to put up on the sides of them for when the sun is not directly over head.
Last year during breakfast the sun was hot and the shade did no good because the sun was coming in at an angle. Had to put up all my sarongs to block it out.
Just a little FYI.
Little stuff to remember:
- Trash bags!
- Toilet paper
- *Sunblock*
- More Beer
- Good times and a great attitude!

Peace -

Zana
J
June 10, 2004 07:48AM
Thanks sis...
June 10, 2004 09:58AM

Alright, you people seem way to cool and nice, now I definitely

have to meet you Kats. I 've made it my mission in life to meet as

many righteous, nice, conscious people as I possibly can. Everyday,

and every encounter is an opportunity, but I find in life, alot of

times you gotta make it happen. All good things come to those who

wait, but even better things come when you put words or ideas into

action "Karma Yoga".

Anyway, we should try to meet up at the Midnite show at 3:30

pm Saturday at the Valley stage. I received info that Midnite would be

performing at that time. It would be a good meeting place, we could

have a monumental sacramental session, know what I'm sayin?

Give me your feedback, I 'm pretty much down to meet whenever,

wherever, I just thought it would be easier to have a destination and

a time.
The Ras
J
June 10, 2004 01:06PM
3:30 left side of VALLEY STAGE is great... I think that is where we'll all end up being!
Only Love
-Jacquie
SOOOO EXCITED....MY FIRST FEST, and thatnks to all of you,I think it will be the best time of my life, seriously. I am 20, and have not experienced so many positive people and good vibes, not to mention the great music. IRIE!!!!!!!!!!!!
J
June 10, 2004 04:48PM
Make sure you look at the thread "MEET HERE IF YOU CAN" It might work, and i am not just saying that bc i started it, hahaha
Jah Bless
-Jacquie
June 14, 2004 03:54PM
Hi, J my name is Aurelio i am from Stockton Ca, i will be leaving Stockton early on Friday, would like to know if you have room for me and my camping gear will share expenses, or you can meet me here i can take my truck. call 209.465-4978 or email atparedes@netscape.net. have a cool fun time
J
June 14, 2004 10:10PM
Umm, Aceman- I would love to help you out there but I am heading to the festival from SF, ca... so i dont really know how that would work. Hope things work out for you...
Jah Bless
-Jacquie
June 15, 2004 06:27AM
WOW J this was my 1st Fest 6 years ago too in IrieVille for the weekend anyways. Marysville ahh i know all who went miss that place. Have no worries about forgettin something or not having enough of this or that,....Our/Your neighbors have plenty.,,,,,h2o sunblock an a big ass tarp is what i reccommend...i guarantee this will be your 1st of many years to come..........PSout
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login