Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Midnite in Berkeley @ The Down Low Oct 28 & 29

Posted by Christopher 
Midnite in Berkeley @ The Down Low Oct 28 & 29
October 25, 2005 10:24PM
MIDNITE @ the DownLow Friday and Saturday Oct 28 % 29

Check it.

Another one from Last Minute Promotions..........

Just kidding,

Peace

Christopher
Re: Midnite in Berkeley @ The Down Low Oct 28 & 29
October 25, 2005 10:36PM
>looking like a baldhead in dat cut n' paste job*
>just kidding but not really smiling smiley
-RASpects+
October 25, 2005 10:59PM
Not to mention the cheesy background poster job........ like i said last minute productions... I just got the posters at 3pm... Get off my D**K...

Just playin

Bless,

Christopher
October 25, 2005 11:10PM
"Halloween Ball"? I didn't think Midnite was into no superstition business.
October 25, 2005 11:30PM
>reggae can be funny sumtimes too chrisTopher, he he smiling smiley
>What is 100% Midnite? do they have another line-up change again or is this now become really a sol-family name??? >just confused, cause iNi re-call last area tour poster stat'in it was 100% st.croix roots or sumting in the line___of skratch,skratch . . .
signed;
'Superstition Mountains(AZ.)
-RASpects+
October 26, 2005 01:54AM
I really don't know anything about the poster....... I just dropped an email to see if help was needed, and it was. So I thought i'd put up a digital copy here and put feet to street until I get through this stack.

Jahmeek.... Glad you recognized the humor! (I'm too new around here to tangle with the likes of you.) ;0)

Bless,

Christopher
October 26, 2005 01:57AM
>mango*
-RASpects+
trinitymlk
October 26, 2005 03:08PM
I can hear Vaughn now..

Jack - 0 - lantern....see how dem a Jack and Land turn....

See Dat Hall-ow-ing.... :-)

Chris...you are a true soldier. Always on the front lines. Respect, MK

October 26, 2005 03:17PM
Boom Catch trinity,

My money is onna you.

I'll report on the show tomorrow here in STX and let the Berkeley crowd know what to expect!

i-c
October 26, 2005 05:33PM
Charlie I....boom raspek due....................so Midnite was in Santa Cruz, Ca....now headed for a Fredericksted gig on the pier no less........and then back to cali?

Jah know! that is a lot of travelin....like 7,000 miles worth in a few days time.
October 26, 2005 06:04PM
Jah week get your street team together? makin big move? Cant cash in on the midnite cash cow in AZ. or may Be
October 26, 2005 06:09PM
Yes Ghost,

Blowin in and out like the wind! Did InI miss your latest travel ovah? If not, link I when you arrive and a likewise gift will be presented in your loving honor. Miss you(eye).

yeah i hear of hard working bands, but how about this detour! Here's what I have on tomorrow's show on the pier:

MTV Tempo Music Festival
Thursday October 27th, 2005
Information:
Press Release from Innovative's website:

Crucian Creator Of New MTV Networks Caribbean Channel And Innovative Cable TV Prepare For Major Televised Entertainment Event

CHRISTIANSTED, St. Croix, U.S.V.I., Sept. 30 -- Frederick Morton, Jr., Esq, senior vice president and general manger of Tempo, MTV Networks new Caribbean channel, recently spent several days in the Territory promoting Tempo and the launch event that will take place on St. Croix on Oct. 27.

St. Croix will be one of eight Caribbean islands to host a major concert that will showcase local talent to be televised on the channel when it is launched throughout the Caribbean in November.

“As the sun sets in historic Frederiksted, the finest acts in the U.S. Virgin Islands will present a three-hour concert at the newly renovated Ann E. Abramson Marine Facility,” said Jennifer Matarangas-King, president and general manager of Innovative Cable TV. “Innovative Cable TV, the first cable operator to sign a distribution deal with Tempo, is thrilled be a part of the development of the channel that will feature Caribbean culture, created by Frederick Morton, a native son.”

Morton, an accomplished attorney, previously served as the senior vice president and deputy general counsel of MTV Networks. He was born and raised on St. Croix of Nevisian parents, Frederick and Deloris Morton.

“I couldnt be more excited about the upcoming Tempo launch events throughout the Caribbean and particularly the launch event taking place right here in the St. Croix, my hometown. On the evening of the Oct. 27, we will create history together, celebrating the launch of Tempo, dedicated to all things Caribbean and highlighting the extraordinary talent and artistry of the Virgin Islands community. Its going to be an evening to remember,” said Morton.

Entertainers scheduled to perform include internationally acclaimed reggae band Midnite Band, Stanley and the Ten Sleepless Knights, Xpress Band, Xtaushun, Michael Bellgrave and the Ricardo Richards Pan Connection, and the Ebenezer Methodist Steel Orchestra. International artists will also participate in this historic event. The event will be free to the public but tickets will be given away on the radio talk shows and through Innovative Cable TV.

Innovative Cable TV has partnered with a number of private sector enterprises to ensure that the event showcases the talent of the artists and beauty of the island of St. Croix.

MTV Networks is a division of Viacom, Inc. Viacom’s popular and highly targeted cable networks which also include Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, TV Land, BET and Spike TV. Innovative Communication Corporation is a privately-held telecom and media company with operations in Sint Maarten, Saint-Martin, U.S. and British Virgin Islands, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Belize and France.

Nuff raspects to you RAS, wish you were here too!!

i-c
October 26, 2005 06:13PM
HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!
October 27, 2005 12:57AM
"Jah week get your street team together? makin big move? Cant cash in on the midnite cash cow in AZ. or may Be"
>nah sure wha u mean but the link u draw will be here any day of the week & nah in2 soap clubs along the watchtower if dem runn bandwagons like a combine machine, so 2 speak*
-RASpects+
October 27, 2005 01:03AM
>like iNi said B4 on this board when this subject first rumered,if Midnite(really the brothers band or whaevr ) does concert for MTV dem full of chit*
-RASpect+
October 27, 2005 01:10AM
Jahmeek........full of ****? to spread the vibes high and low, to the 4 cornahs? It's a blessed opportunity a for ALL THE CARIBBEAN to get a channel providing such visibility. Love it man....Large up the 'Tempo Channel.' bup!bup!
Vibez Dem Nice
October 27, 2005 01:24AM
i agree Tempo should be a good thing for ALL the Caribbean...as long as its not to MTVish... It pisses me off when people say that bands are selling out dis and dat and playing for MTV..LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE..this is good for reggae music..period!! It will be bring this music to the forefront...It can bring the messege to people that really need to hear it...get over the "selling out" stuff..
October 27, 2005 01:26AM
I say more power to anyone who gets on mtv or major radio as long as they don't change their message to get some airtime. Talked to someone yesterday who seemed to think it was bad that I Wayne's video was on mtv, I say I'd rather see Junior Gong, I Wayne and Midnite on top and all over the place with conscious messages than see some joke like shaggy. Peace.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
October 27, 2005 05:45AM
Well in your book JahMeek, Midnite has been full of it for years because they played at the Bob (clear channel) Marley Day Festival. I guess all the other bands that played there are equally full of it too, right? And how about those VI artists that graced AZ this week, are they full of it too cause they TRIED to get on that bill. And then, any band that plays in a club that serves alcohol, full of it again right? And don't forget to 'full of it' for bands that play at that irie alcohol-free venue with the great sound system that the owner bought with the profits he made in the stock market.

I only wish MTV would give me some air time with no strings attached....
just pointing it out
October 27, 2005 06:54AM
The MTV issue is not that simple. It would have been, if Midnite
was just a reggae band. As it is, Midnite has raised the bar, from playing 3hs+ straight sets, to the music (riddim & lyrics)they bring the people. Anybody who knows & feels Midnite's music, know their commitment to roots and open disassociation with babylon, so for them to associate themselves with MTV, it is, in my opinion, as big of a contradiction as it gets. Midnite's music is traveling the world and can't nobody stop that!They don't need MTV, and the way i see it, they should take advantage of the fact that they don't need MTV to make yet another statement about their phylosophy by choosing to stay out. They have simply come out too strong against babylon to end up playing for MTV, so don't blame fans & not-fans alike for thinking that Midnite's association with MTV is contradictory at best, and hypocritical in reality. Furthermore, I hear they are not only playing at the channel's debut, but that they will actually have a video playing through them! So fans cannot record them at concerts and they will not produce a live dvd, but one can watch them on a MTV channel?! In other words, fans who continuously support them don't get to see them at home, but people with cable who have never heard about them do?! Don't blame anyone for thinking that their move is publicity-motivated. I am not saying there is anything wrong with publicity, but for it to be done through MTV is not in accordance with Midnite's claimed phylosophy. I overstand the impact of musical videos on our youth and welcome reggae into that scene so that our youth may be exposed to what reggae has to offer, but the thing is, Midnite, by their own style, have raised the bar very, very high, and as a consequence, it needs to decide whether to live by their own standards or to live in contradiction.
October 27, 2005 07:40AM
You make some very good points JPIO, but please consider the following: 1) What they are doing is not for MTV, but for Tempo, a new caribbean station spearheaded by Fredrick Morton, who is from St. Croix. My guess is that Midnite feels good about his vibe or they would not be doing this project. 2) Although Tempo has already done a 'launching' in JA, and is doing this one in STX and several others, they are not on the air yet. 3) If you look at their current tour, you will see several "Recording NEW CD/DVD project" entries. My guess (and hope) is that a Midnite DVD or live recording will be made available to the public before Tempo is on the air.

You are very right that artists need to live up to the standards they set. And yes, I agree that MTV has nuff babylon trappings. To me, it all comes down to the product. Personally, I had a BIG ISSUE with Anthony B parading around on fancy motorcycles surrounded by pretty ladies on his recent video. If Midnite were to do something like that I would be disappointed to say the least. Same thing if Midnite were to 'change their ways' merely on account of a live concert being recorded by Tempo. But if Midnite is allowed to do their thing, in their own way, without any compromises on Tempo, MTV, BET, CNN or FOX NEWS (which they were on over 3 years ago) then i say MORE POWER TO THEM.

And if you feel an appearance on Tempo is a 'contradiction' then what about BMD festivals and the other scenarios i mentioned above? To me, the 'contradictions' develope when the artist compromises his or her vision to suit the audience or medium. Midnite playing live on Tempo is no more of a contradiction IMO than their traveling to distant places to perform for a white audience.
October 27, 2005 05:09PM
jUSTPOINTINGITOUT WROTE:
"I am not saying there is anything wrong with publicity, but for it to be done through MTV is not in accordance with Midnite's claimed phylosophy."

i MIGHT BE MISSING SOMETHING HERE, BUT I THOUGHT MIDNITE'S FOREMOST PHILOSOPHY, WAS A DEDICATION TO THE UPLIFTMENT OF THE ETHNO-STRUGGLE? the de-marginalizing of the marginalized?
babylon is a recurring theme for sure, but laying bare the historical follies of 'colonizers/masters/empires/regimes' is of more importance.

........AND, SEEING AS HOW, AS dANIEL-I WROTE:
"Midnite playing live on Tempo is no more of a contradiction IMO than their traveling to distant places to perform for a white audience.".........THE TEMPO CHANNEL WILL FINALLY ALLOW VAUGHN TO REACH THE BLACK DIASPORA....AS IT MUST BE FRUSTRATING HAVING TO REPEATEDLY SING THESE LYRICS TO HALL AFTER HALL OF NEARLY ALL WHITE FACES, OF PEOPLE WHO BY THE WAY, ARE ALREADY OF LIKE MINDS AND FOR HELPING IN THIS VERY SAME STRUGGLE.
.......yes, $ is involved...because a skill is offered..and Midnite offers a skill worth paying for..but the bottom line is that it's still of utmost importance to teach lost breddrin and sistren, whether blk, wht, pink arr blue.

YEY TEMPO CHANNEL.
just pointing it out
October 27, 2005 05:34PM
Correct me if i am wrong, but isn't Tempo owned/controlled by MTV? The event is even called MTV Tempo Music Festival. To me , it really seems a BIG contradition for Midnite to either play at a MTV music fest or have a video played through MTV. Like I said before, Midnite has simply come out too strong against babylon to end up associating themselves with one of babylon's biggest mouthpiece. "Fire burn the merciless!" was their last tune at Monterey fest. MTV is one of the most merciless business in our society...a cancer!

I am not sure what you mean by "BMD" festivals, but I don't think that "traveling to distant places to play for a white audience" is a contradiction. Much the contrary, they are spreading the word of Jah by their own means. It's a beautiful thing! They travel to a venue, and then play for the people who have also traveled to the venue and paid to watch them. It's a mutual exchange, a strict business between them and the fans.

"To me, the 'contradictions' develope when the artist compromises his or her vision to suit the audience or medium". That too, but also when a artist/band links with the very things they are condeming. Kind like a couple nights ago when I was watching Micahel Moore's movie "The Big One" for the first time. I could simply not believe him when, in between going to different corporations and mocking them, he made a stop at McDonalds to grab a bite!!!
October 27, 2005 05:48PM
I mentioned the Bob Marley Day festivals because of my belief of Clear Channel's involvement with those festivals. CC is a corporation that owns over 1,000 radio stations, and scores of US music venues. I believe they are a much bigger corporation than MTV.

So is Midnite's having participated in a Clear Channel event not an equally big contradiction in your eyes? How about their having appeared on FOX-TV news?
jb welda
October 27, 2005 05:48PM
>in between going to different corporations and mocking them, he made a stop
>at McDonalds to grab a bite!!!

i guess purposeful irony is lost on some people. obviously he wanted that in the movie and in there for a purpose. nothing is an accident when it comes to major motion pictures.

one love
jah bill
Seko
October 27, 2005 05:54PM
AFTER MTV AND WHATEVER SHOW I REQUEST MIDNITE ON MTV/ BET/ VHI/ CMT and whateverelse dem have out there, all LINKTV too. IT WOULD BE A GOOD REASON TO WATCH THE TELE AGAIN.
just pointing it out
October 28, 2005 05:26AM
it depends on what that corporation is fostering. it's like the albums they produce, right? they do it through labels that foster consciousness. i remember the controversy in a recent tread about Sizzla signing with Def Jam. Now, all i know about Def Jam is what i read on that tread so i am relying on that, but what i got was that Def Jam foster this negative behavior that we see our youth fall into? if that's correct, would it be a contradiction for them to sign with them? i dont know what their appeareance was about, but if i assume that it was something they meant to do, then my opinion is that it is. but i judge not. how could i, the music that have brought me so much. and continues to bring. that's just an appreciater's opinion. i am just pointing it out. long Live Midnite, respect due and give thanks for your music.
just pointing it out
October 28, 2005 05:29AM
nothing lost here jab bill, just couldn't see the irony, so enlighten me if you will. Moore didn't reach the "major motion pictures" till F911.
October 28, 2005 07:25AM
Midnite this, schmidnite that, all of the artists that play this music are just humans. Until you stop looking to these guys to be your gods, you will always be let down. They are messengers, not the message. I say expose the messengers to as many of the masses as possible. Let the message be heard. Maybe the message will be heard and things will change. If you feel it, you feel it, but don't make the guys that play the music out to be more than what they are.

fourtwentyplenty
October 28, 2005 03:55PM
Then again you could all just come see the show and discuss it with Vaughn backstage...

Boom.... Back to the top

Bless,

Christopher
levi-t
October 28, 2005 07:02PM
in the beginning, there was the WORD

flesh is flesh.

proper reasoning about the fact that some "preach" conscious livity and live a dutty lifestyle...

words of g. silk-
"a man is just a man"
October 29, 2005 11:37PM
'Well in your book JahMeek, Midnite has been full of it for years because they played at the Bob (clear channel) Marley Day Festival. I guess all the other bands that played there are equally full of it too, right? And how about those VI artists that graced AZ this week, are they full of it too cause they TRIED to get on that bill. And then, any band that plays in a club that serves alcohol, full of it again right? And don't forget to 'full of it' for bands that play at that irie alcohol-free venue with the great sound system that the owner bought with the profits he made in the stock market."
>i* dont hold this to ALL groups i*dren Daniel. i* only hold it to groups who play funny booking games & play arouN with idea that u cant print a photo of dem, ect.. without going into more details i* hold the oppertunity for independent labeled reggae groups not apart of labels such as VP for promotion(green lite their on midnite*). but iNi kno it will sumhow pick what 'theyMTV' want. promote 'who will plastic' dem' & throw the rest of iNi 'REGGAE' minded values to the dirt once again.
> if were fortunite iNi will B able to see'uncutt PETER TOSH footage for treat but u kno how dat is not gonnah fly*
-RASpects+
October 30, 2005 03:52AM
Author: B.ghoSt (---.snvacaid.covad.net)
Date: 10-26-05 18:10
Jahmeek........full of ****? to spread the vibes high and low, to the 4 cornahs?
>it's about luv not the caribs. . .smile smile smile. . .
-RASpects+
October 30, 2005 07:11AM
Haha, Jahmeek love watch man...

October 31, 2005 06:12AM
Gee, I hope the sound was ok for midnite at the DL!
Happy All Hallow's Eve all!!!!!!!!! Where else can you see a 7'2" Joan Crawford as Mommie Dearest? Don't dis the best celebration of the season!!!! This pagan's pay is indeed gone.
A3
tunkey
February 07, 2006 05:36PM
midnite is the best out thare right about hnow cause we all grow up ass big man with love and respict so gave more power to them in eny meens and keep conchust all time love and piece from me to you
March 01, 2006 08:19AM
i know only one who fit to judge nother an' nah man. it only jah an' as jah will be done cause we all under the sun not one man above another no matter how holy. so it regards all bout midnite this and that what them should do, it all ready been seen to and thats that. it in jah will and creation as the most high given gifts unto all singers and musicians that will lead the way for the emporor say. bless up qedamawi. hot vibes in the berekely shows feel the heat increasein the world over these days. keep safe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login