Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"The Way the Music Died" Tonite on TV, PBS Frontline

Posted by Rhythmwize 
"The Way the Music Died" Tonite on TV, PBS Frontline
May 27, 2004 11:32AM
A Frontline show on PBS (KCET Los Angeles at 9PM)

"The Way the Music Died" covers the threats to the industry by
technology and piracy as well as record-label consolidation and
impact of MTV.
GG
Re: "The Way the Music Died" Tonite on TV, PBS Frontline
May 27, 2004 11:36AM
Should be an interesting show. The reason the music is dying in my opinion is because these days all they are promoting is crap. And as far as 'piracy' goes, I feel the RIAA really blew it when cracking down on the file sharing. If I don't have a way to hear new music before I buy it, it's not going to happen. Often times, I'd hear of an artist and download a little, and then, GO BUY IT! Since I haven't been able to discover new (or unknown) artists, my purchases have stopped. Anyone else like this?
May 27, 2004 01:37PM
I Blame Parents, MTV and TV show executives for the downfall of music and the Negative impact it has on my Generation (The Pop culture), in my society.
my 2 cents
-PKW
TR-808
The Way the Hippies Got Rich and Switched
May 27, 2004 02:01PM

i 'm gonna watch this but i already have my bull$#!t sensor going.

the writeup on the show's website says the music scene was created at Woodstock, and subsequently almost killed off by _________ forces.

[www.pbs.org]

what generation has been in command of those forces? the same generation who was at Woodstock, of course.

is this some more Billy Joel "We Didn't Start the Fire" crap?
jb welda
May 27, 2004 03:10PM
i respect frontline as a show, but i have a feeling they are going to be dishing out the RIAA party line that they have probably swallowed hook line and sinker.

prediction: the villians will be those horrid file sharers and music downloaders.

anyone else think pbs seems to be cowtowing more and more to the powers that be since their NEA funding was nearly (or probably) cut off? there are blatent commercials now (hardly even disguising themselves as "public service announcements, but stopping just barely short of the traditional definition of advertising, eg: "come down to cals where this week we are featuring a special on more crap you dont need"winking smiley, and, perhaps even more telling, running series on war toys, both real and actual toys for kids, the "glory" of war (eg: ww2 and all the heroes, vietnam and all the heros, ad naseum) etc right when (coincidentally?) we enter a "war" with iraq.

to their credit though, frontline tends to still point out that the emperor has no clothing vis a vis iraq and the so called war on terror.

one love
jah bill
TR-808
May 27, 2004 03:30PM

agree across the board

NPR "news" has gone the same way
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login