November 08, 2005 12:39AM
I'll start this off with one of mine.

Re: Day In Pictures * 2
November 08, 2005 01:10AM

fourtwentyplenty
jb welda
November 08, 2005 04:47PM
nice image acacia. ever enter it in a contest or exhibition?

one love
jah bill
Acacia
November 08, 2005 05:56PM
Thanks Jah Bill smiling smiley No, I never have.
November 08, 2005 07:37PM
I love these pictures especially the ones on the first thread...they had an edge to them that just make me laugh.
November 08, 2005 08:25PM
Here's my pics from the series titled "New York baseball fans":

November 08, 2005 09:18PM
November 08, 2005 09:30PM
I DID TOO!!!! Good for you Daniel.Anyone else?
November 08, 2005 09:36PM
Here is SF, we had an initiative to ban hand guns and a next one to ban military recruitments on university campuses.....
November 08, 2005 10:03PM
ban hand guns? good idea, but is it constitutional?
November 08, 2005 10:19PM
I beleive SF has tried banning hand guns before, and was found to be unconstitutional. Might be an unpopular viewpoint here, but I beleive there are valid reasons to own a handgun. Peace.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
November 08, 2005 10:30PM
Such as...?
November 08, 2005 10:36PM
good example would be someone who owns a small shop, such as a quick stop or something. If someone comes in to rob a 7/11 or something, a clerk should have the right to have a gun on them to keep themselves, their business, and customers safe. Peace.

November 08, 2005 11:02PM
Should said clerk have to:

- demonstrate competency to wield the weapon (can he hit what he aims at)?
- pass a firearms proficiency and safety test (can he handle a firearm without accidentally shooting himself or his customers)?
- demonstrate knowledge as to when to use lethal force and when not to use lethal force?
- if not, why not?

Peace,
-RV
November 08, 2005 11:05PM
There has been a hand gun ban in effect in the District of Columbia for nearly 30 years now. It has been repeatedly upheld as constitutional.

The 2nd Amendment DOES NOT give any individual the 'right to bear arms'. Instead, it gives individual states the right to have a militia... a 'well regulated' militia at that.

I believe that any valid challenges to the Ordinance, assuming it passes, will be based on it's being counter to state law which says law-abiding citizens do not need permits or licenses to keep handguns in their homes.
November 08, 2005 11:11PM
RV,
I would have to say that I would have no problem with the idea of said clerk having to prove they are compitent. The biggest problems with these types of laws though, is that they are simply unrealistic unless the government decides to become a police state. DC is a good example of this, despite having a hand gun ban in effect, they still have high crime and homicide rates. Pretty much, these laws just keep law abiding people from protecting themselves, their property, and family, while creating incentives for criminals. Peace.

November 08, 2005 11:25PM
Yeah, I understand the pro- and anti- gun arguements. What drives me crazy is that anyone can go down to the BIG 5, plunk down some cash, fill out some paperwork, and 15 daze later go get their Glock. They think they and their families are safer, but they actually are in greater danger than before they bought their gun.

How many times do we have to read about little Johnny shooting his best friend after finding Daddy's six-shooter? How many times do we have to read about a burglar suprising an armed home owner, disarming him and using the homeowners gun to shoot the homeowner? How many times do we have to read about someone getting fired from work only to return with his pea-shooter to give the boss a new meaning to the phrase "you're fired!"? My point is that you have to demonstrate some kind of proficiency to operate a car before you get a license, but you don't even have to prove you have eyesight to own a gun.

Sadly, it has just happened again:
[news.yahoo.com]

BTW -- good for you, Daniel, for correctly pointing out that the is no such thing as an indivduals "right to bear arms" (I wonder how the bears feel about that one...).

Raspects,
-RV

Post Edited (11-08-05 15:28)

Peace,
-RV
November 08, 2005 11:36PM
I am not a hunter, but to my knowledge there is only one species of animals that a hand gun is designed to kill.... HUMANS.

Can't the 7/11 clerks get the same 'protection' if they pulled out a taser gun or pepper spray from under the counter RJ?

And if GW can pull the wool over the people by saying 'the recession would have been much worse had we not passed those tax breaks for the rich', then I can use the same logic and say that the crime and homicide rate in DC would be much higher if the handgun ban were not in effect.....
November 08, 2005 11:51PM
just be glad you don't live in Nevada, I could drive the 30 minutes across the border to reno and have a loaded AR-15 within 1 hour- kinda scary- no "cool down" time
November 09, 2005 12:08AM
The only way a hand gun can protect you is if you are waiting ...wherever,eyes open,gun pointed ,ready to shoot at whatever you perceive as a threat.Store clerks have to reach under the counter...too late. At night...intruder,probably already has a gun,and you have to reach under the bed or wherever you have it hidden...to late. I believe hand guns are more of a liability than an assest.
November 09, 2005 12:13AM
If you ban hand guns, you keep people that obey laws from having them but people who break laws will still have no problem getting them.

When you take handguns away from citizens, Prop. H provides an exemption for "any City, state or federal employee carrying out the functions of his or her government employment," such as police officers and members of the military or the National Guard. In other words, it creates a police state. For such an anti-authoritarian city, this seems a strange goal indeed.

I wouldn't recommend giving up anymore of your rights, whether you exercise those rights or not. Gotta put some trust in individual responsibilty.
November 09, 2005 12:27AM
Apparently rudeboy thinks that owning a handgun is what protects all of us from living in a police state...

Wake up and smell the cordite... the government has tanks, the government has automatic weapons, the government has an air force to bomb you with. It's not your pop-gun that will prevent a police state, its your VOTE.

I wonder how many gun-toters refused to exercise their right to vote today...

Peace-mongering,
-RV
November 09, 2005 12:42AM
THANKYOU!!!!!
November 09, 2005 01:25AM
Trying to read through the righteous omnisient cali tone and understand your combative point that you make. And I think I got it. And I think your right. But my biggest point, you didn't seem to respond to. That would be "I wouldn't recommend giving up anymore of your rights, whether you exercise those rights or not. Gotta put some trust in individual responsibilty." On this path of banning things that we no longer trust individuals judgemnet on, we will someday look back and wonder WTF. First you get the subtle helmit motorcycle laws, seat belt laws, smoking bans, then lawsuits for hot coffee burns, then no diving boards in pools, then protective retaining walls on virtually everything (gg bridge), then no skydiving, no surfing, no extreme sports(there all to dangerous and unsafe), no amusement park rides, no burning man, no hip hop, no fast food, no alcohol, no sex unless cleared by gov., and an open door to sue everybody for doing something you don't agree with. Thats what scares the **** out of me. 1984

Gotta put some trust in an individuals responsibility. It's a huge part of what allows us to still call the USA a free country.
November 09, 2005 01:32AM
I wonder how many gun-toters refused to exercise their right to vote today ?

I don't think there were many -

Yes handguns were design to kill people -

I would love a world with out handguns- but it won't happen get real and go buy
one

Shop clerks are barley competent to ring up my delux car wash and a Slim Jim

November 09, 2005 01:50AM
LOL LOL LOL
November 09, 2005 02:13AM
I know this has been described before, but can anyone help a guy figure out how to post pics here?
November 09, 2005 03:42AM
"Gotta put some trust in individual responsibilty."

I agree 100%. American culture has been running full sprint away from personal responsibility, whether it's government and corporate leaders claiming "they didn't know" (well, they should have) or everyday people filing lawsuits left and right. I think the way to live better is to hold individuals accountable for their actions, but otherwise let people do what they want most of the time. It'd be nice if there was a benevolent and omniscient dictator, but unfortunately governmnent is government and I'd rather make my own decisions about running my life than have a bunch of corrupt politicians and shortsighted voters calling the shots. Gun control is a bit sticky since out-of-control situations can affect others as well as yourself, but if I want to buy a pistol and go to the shooting range once a week for kicks I don't see what's fundamentally wrong with that.
November 09, 2005 03:55PM
Rude Boy, I agree with you 1000% about the need for 'responsibility'. But I would extend the need for responsibility to far more than "individual responsibility". It also applies equally to 'corporate responsibility'.

There was a time when, if you went to work for Ford Motor Company or IBM, they would become 'responsible' for your well being. Those days are since now long gone, and too many workers are finding that, after having dedicated 20 years to a company, their job is turned over to a younger (lower paid) individual or just outsourced to some foreign county.

I think the MacDonald's 'hot coffee' case is an excellent example. They used to pour steaming hot coffee into these flimsy styrofoam containers and then hand them over to people so they could drive off with them. Well guess what? Those flimsy containers were DANGEROUS, and M'D used them no doubt because they were far cheaper than the available alternatives. Someone sued them and won. I beg you to show me one place that still uses those lousy containers. Had MacDonald's been more 'responsible', they would have used better containers PRIOR to getting sued, but unfortunately corporations are more interested in profits than in being responsible.

We have to regulate the emissions or automobiles, power plants and factories because the companies involved abuse their rights and fail to act 'responsibly' in the absence of regulations. In fact, virtually ALL LAWS (J-Walking, Speeding, requiring worker's compensation, etc) are put in place because people and companies DON'T act responsibly. Stop signs tend to be put up in intersections after an accident where someone wasn’t driving responsibly.

Yes, it would be great if we could all live in a world where everyone just 'does the right thing' without having laws and regulations to force people into 'acceptable behaviour'. But that simply is not the case in the world today, and so we have laws.

Do you feel like you are 'giving up your rights' when a law is passed putting a speed limit of 55 MPH on highways? Are your rights given up when the state requires that you pass a Medical Board exam prior to practicing medicine in this State?

Yes, amerika offers a lot of freedom, and with that freedom comes responsibility. But unless and until such time as all participants in this 'great society' take responsibility for their actions, both on an individual level and on a collective level, I believe the need for regulating of activities is needed.
Acacia
November 10, 2005 12:16AM

"Wanna drag? Edd China, who's already in Guinness for driving the world's fastest sofa, shops in Henley-upon-Thames, England, in what he says is the world's largest motorized grocery cart. It's 11 feet tall and 10 feet long, and no doubt has a Hemi. "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll teach you how to post pics Stevo. It's hard to demonstrate for another person, because if you type everything correctly, the picture will show up instead of the text that you need to see how it's done. I'll give it a try.

The image has to be from a site on the internet. Go to the page and find the image you want to post. Now you need to get the "properties" of the image. If you are using a PC, right click on the image and select "properties". If you are on a Mac, hold down your mouse button on the image until a box pops up, and then select "properties". There you will find the url for the image, highlight it and cut. Then to post the picture on the board, set it up like this, but *without any spaces* at all. I'll use the url for the image I just posted as an example:

[ img] [www.sfgate.com][ /img]

Good luck!

November 10, 2005 07:50AM

got it.
Acacia
November 15, 2005 12:49AM

Kimchi anyone?

jb welda
November 15, 2005 12:56AM
>kimchi anyone?

is that korean for "little kids in funny hats"?

one love
jah bill
Acacia
November 15, 2005 12:59AM
As far as I know it's Korean for rotten cabbage in chili sauce. But #4 in the row seems to like it winking smiley
November 15, 2005 01:01AM
Acacia my wife is drooling.

fourtwentyplenty
Acacia
November 15, 2005 01:01AM
And my apologies to anyone who enjoys kimchi. Yes, technically it is "fermented"...
Acacia
November 17, 2005 08:58PM
Acacia
November 22, 2005 07:37PM
pale ryder
November 22, 2005 07:50PM
I always thought Kim Chi was a wrestler from an old super nintendo game......
Dang, those kids are all bout the Kim CHi, like it was fruit loops.....
November 29, 2005 11:51PM
The man
November 30, 2005 12:02AM
Okay Daniel, that's it! You are now banned from this forum for profanity.

Observer
Acacia
December 01, 2005 12:03AM
December 05, 2005 07:19PM
ANYONE?????
December 05, 2005 07:55PM
This one is titled: "Penny Reel back on the B&F board":

December 05, 2005 08:11PM
be my guest 420honey...
December 05, 2005 08:58PM
I am so lame that I can"t cut and paste. Also I wouldn't know where to get these great photo's. I like to laugh at everyone's else's cleverness.
December 05, 2005 09:13PM
429 Honey, just type in the Google video image search the word "Penny Reel", and you'll have a lot of strange & twisted pics.

I do not recommend you to try it with the word "Chimino" though.
December 05, 2005 09:36PM
LOL LOL... thanks Zoki
December 05, 2005 09:40PM
Seen? Its very easy.

Now, will you show off some of your findings, please?
December 05, 2005 09:50PM
OK..I found some pictures but this County computer won't let me cut and paste.This computer is lame.I'll keep trying.But in the mean time if anyone has a picture ...please share.
Acacia
December 05, 2005 09:53PM
December 05, 2005 10:16PM
That pic got something of zen-koans, Aca.
Acacia
December 06, 2005 07:35PM
Am I supposed to take that as a compliment? Whatever do you mean?
December 06, 2005 08:14PM
Yes, its a compliment. That image got a touch of Japanese paintings... or, if you prefer this way, its like haiku on a visual plane.
Acacia
December 06, 2005 08:20PM
Ah, well in that case:

That sounds good to me
Thank you very much Zoki
More where that came from

smiling smiley
December 06, 2005 08:32PM
I like that last line ...
Acacia
December 06, 2005 08:58PM
December 07, 2005 09:12AM
Greetings
Here is a very rare fire breathing butterfly winking smiley

Peace
JJ
December 07, 2005 09:13AM
HEY????????
It's actually a very clear pic but once up on the board looks crap........????

Peace
December 07, 2005 09:59AM
I'm gonna try that pic again

December 07, 2005 05:28PM
Since I learned how to post pictures, here is one of shots from my trip this summer. This is the view from the peak of Mt. Kilimanjaro just after sunrise.

Acacia
December 07, 2005 06:13PM
Wow, that's beautiful. It must have been amazing to be up there.
Acacia
December 09, 2005 06:57PM
Acacia
December 10, 2005 12:48AM
And if you're not a fan of John Lennon...

Acacia
December 13, 2005 12:07AM
Acacia
December 21, 2005 06:26PM

It may seem a contradiction but to save a rose from freezing, you must turn it into an icicle.

December 21, 2005 09:37PM
Like that picture of Cambodia and the Wat Acacia. My wife dug it.

fourtwentyplenty
jb welda
December 22, 2005 06:41PM

one love
jah bill

December 22, 2005 07:02PM
Cool pic Bill...I find it amusing still...was that pic taken at night when it wasn't raining?...Luci wouldn't want to get bird poop on his locks or anything...
btw who is umbrella man?
jb welda
December 22, 2005 07:10PM
i think the guy with the umbrella lives in the bay area. i was supposed to give mutabaruka a ride to a show one time but instead this same guy i think showed up and he rode with him instead. i thought i recognized him and now that i think on it some more i believe it was the same man. i was disappointed that i didnt get to chat a bit with muta but kinda relieved too...the man has a commanding presence that i find a bit intimidating though later in the evening i talked to him and found that the intimidation was mostly in my own head.

and yeah it was at night and it wasnt raining...i think the umbrella was for effect and as the photo shows it was pretty effective and dramatic.

one love
jah bill
December 22, 2005 07:17PM
The man's name is AbbaZero. He lives in Oakland now, but spent many, many years growing up with Muta.

I am always amazed and how people are intimidated by Mutabaruka, as he is really one of the most easy going people i know. Perhaps one of his greatest traits is being able to get into heated debates with people whose views on things are 180 degrees from his while still remaining on good terms with them. It's a trait that lots of us on this board could use more of...
Acacia
December 22, 2005 11:18PM
December 22, 2005 11:40PM
...looks like a quasi-vaudevillian shtick to me jb, but to each their own...
very colorful I've gotta admit...
December 23, 2005 12:35AM
btw I'm not demeaning Sis Irie's excellent photos, they rock! Or bubble, or whatever...
As for my photographic skills, they call me the Great Executioner...I've cut off more heads than I can remember...
December 23, 2005 01:19AM
"looks like a quasi-vaudevillian shtick to me"

I make sure to mention that to Abba the next time i see him. I'm sure he will get a kick out of that one.
jb welda
December 23, 2005 02:38AM
acacia: lava entering the ocean off big island of hawaii?

i was just there a couple months ago and could have gotten those shots...except my batteries were dead. the life of a photographer, im sure you know! still it was completely awesome in person especially at night.

one love
jah bill
December 23, 2005 03:53PM
Acacia,

Where are you finding all of these wonderful photos?

I am just starting to get pictures for my walls since I repainted my living room. Would love to have some of these to show off

One love
eric v
Acacia
December 23, 2005 06:42PM
I'm glad you guys like these. I look at lots of pictures all day, and I like to show people when I see a really good one. I've gotten most of these from the San Francisco Chronicle site, [sfgate.com]. They're mostly from the associated press, but the Chronicle actually sells their own photos, and they have some really amazing images too.

Look here for those: [sfgate.com]
Acacia
December 23, 2005 06:57PM
Yeah, Jah Bill, pretty sure it is. I visited Kilauea on the big island a few years ago and it really was spectactular. I wasn't at a place where I could see the lava actually flowing into the ocean, but I did take an exciting hike at night over the lava beds where you could see it running down the mountain and underfoot (a little scary!). Yes, dead batteries are the bane of a photographer's existence (one of them, anyway), but maybe one day you'll return with fresh batteries and get the shot. Wow, it must have been really something to see in person. On that same trip to HI, I also visited Haleakala on Maui and got some pretty nice images. If I can get them into digital format, I'll post them on the board.
jb welda
December 23, 2005 07:44PM
acacia i did that same hike at night, to about 1/4 mile from where it flows into the ocean. a couple of nights later a friend and i chartered a boat to take us to the outflow spot and we anchored right off the lava flow. the capt got kind of nervous a few times when a lava dam broke and the flow got explosive but nothing drastic happened. we were out there for about 4 hours...a lot of money but well spent imo.

ive hiked through haleakala a couple times too, exquisite scenery but you just cant beat seeing real lava flowing down a mountain and into the sea.

one love
jah bill
Acacia
December 23, 2005 08:55PM
I'm sure you're right. I'd love to see that someday. Well, I couldn't find the volcano pics, but here's a scene from my trip. Wish I was there now.

December 26, 2005 04:01PM
Great pictures!!!!!!!! You have been to exciting places. You can share as many photos as you like.
December 28, 2005 07:21PM
Acacia,

Can you please email me at:

vasceri@yahoo.com

I have a couple of questions for you.

Thanks much!
be well
eric v
Acacia
December 29, 2005 10:51PM
December 30, 2005 08:04PM
Oh..is that funny or what? I would love to know the story behind that photo.
Acacia
December 30, 2005 09:30PM
"Hey, hey, hey, flat Albert: In Kaoshiung, Taiwan, high school students celebrate the 100th anniversary of Einstein's Theory of Relativity with a two-dimensional homage to the great physicist. "
Acacia
January 03, 2006 06:40PM
January 04, 2006 12:00AM
great pis girlie-keep it up.
one love-juan love
Acacia
January 04, 2006 12:15AM
Thanks Juan, but most of them are not mine. I've been working on getting more of my photos uploaded. Hopefully soon I'll have more to show you all.
January 04, 2006 12:21AM
cant wait to see them!
great taste in photography thats for sure.
one love-juan love
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login