Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Riddim Friday @ Capitol Garage Sac

Posted by jjlab3 
jjlab3
Riddim Friday @ Capitol Garage Sac
November 28, 2005 09:48PM
Anyone been down to see DJ Wokstar on Firday nights at Capitol Garage?

I checked it out a few weeks back and there was a decent turnout. Seems to be the only Reggae in Sac for weeks.
solid rock
Re: Riddim Friday @ Capitol Garage Sac
November 29, 2005 09:10AM

i thought that place closed down? wasn't that the spot next to beers books and esoteric

--
jb welda
November 29, 2005 09:14AM
it moved to a yuppie place down the street. they were having too much fun at the original spot. thats not allowed in suckto

one love
jah bill
jjlab3
November 29, 2005 10:14AM
YESSS!! JB chimes in on Sacto as usual.

Yes it moved a few blocks away into a new space. Sounds like JB won't be stopping by on a Friday night. If you aren't a reggae snob check it out. It has a real mixed crowd for Wokstar's sets.
jb welda
November 29, 2005 10:19AM
"reggae snob" i love that. i prefer it to the alternative though.

hey be true to your school and all that jj. lots of "W" stickers down those parts.

one love
jah bill
November 29, 2005 11:01AM
Ok , the Fri. at the Cap. Garage is ok I just saw Soul Rements fron Davis/Sac area Hip Hop w/ world flavor type band.
Yea the old Garage was real cool and before the show you could go to the best Book Store in Sac. and party outside no problem
new Garage ok ,nothing great just ok more a coffie house but the do have new Plasma's for football
but there is a sold out show-almost every Sun. at Blue Lamp Sun. it's gets packed after 11pm waiting line outside ,,

"Reggae Snob" a classic
solid rock
November 29, 2005 12:03PM

> moved to a yuppie place down the street

well those aren't all bad, jb.. one of the best sets i ever dj'd was before the beenie man showcase at harlow's a few years back.

i'd say the crowd was more inner city and definitely more west indian than usual that night, but harlows is kind of a yuppie place most of the time isn't it?

actually when easy star was there a couple months ago it was a little bit of a hippie place..

overall though i think the criticisms of sac being bland are usually right

and from my experience, many people that live there agree. some like it

--
jjlab3
November 29, 2005 05:26PM
Hey I am the first to agree the Sac reggae seen is sorry but I take what I can get. Wokstar plays some good stuff not just the new Sean Paul. He plays vintage roots, dancehall, etc.

I agree the old Capitol Garage was 1000 times better but not many places allow live reggae in Sac so I will check it out when I can.

Sincerely,

-A Reggae Novice (compared to the all knowing yardie, scholar, archivist, backstage pass havin, driving to the bay every weekend show seein, sactown hatin, JB!!!)
jb welda
November 29, 2005 05:30PM
>compared to the all knowing yardie, scholar, archivist, backstage pass havin,
>driving to the bay every weekend show seein, sactown hatin, JB!!!)

well only about one of those fit but one out of seven aint bad.

one love
jah bill
jjlab3
December 14, 2005 05:39PM
BTW, this event is really getting huge. The place was packed to capacity on Friday night. Everyone was dancing and it was a real diverse crowd.

The selector and the guy toasting were on fire.
December 14, 2005 05:48PM

>Hey I am the first to agree the Sac reggae seen is sorry

Too bad to hear. There is a regular crew from Sac. that now drives down here to Fresno for our weekly Thursday night. They have told me all that gets played in Sac. is dancehall.

So, does anyone have a COMPLETE listing for this Friday night in Sac. gig, 'cuz I'd like to drive up and check it out...

-spleece
December 14, 2005 07:56PM
Hey Al or JB - I heard they closed down the blue lamp for not having a dance permit? is that true?
francesca
December 14, 2005 08:21PM
True--the Capitol Garage in its old location was a good site. Sorry to see these venues have to move to make way for the constant on-going construction that's happening downtown. Anyway, stopped in at the new location a few weeks ago on a whim with a few friends and had a good time. Wokstar wasn't working that night and can't remember who the DJ was but the selection was good (particularly early in the evening before it got crowded and the DJ was playing some old roots and dancehall.) Sometimes you just need to get your dance on...this fall/winter season has been dead here in terms of live shows.

December 15, 2005 10:13AM
Greetings,
hey andee how's it shakin and I was their a couple of weeks ago and it was kickin
I have friends that are scheduled to play later this month so I'll call them later to scope it out I hope not
but maybe "the Library Club" over on Folsom Blvd. will pick up some action
you all missed a killer roots/dancehall show in Nevada City Last night WOW!!!
December 15, 2005 10:42AM
Grrrr, go ahead and rub it in Al! hope to be seeing you around soon. shoot me an email or post to our little sac connection here when you hear of good shows coming up. the wintertime sometimes gives me the blues .....bless
December 15, 2005 03:27PM
ok can do
Papa Wheelie
December 16, 2005 02:52PM
Blue lamp is back in action as of 12-11-05. Same night I believe.
jb welda
December 16, 2005 02:54PM
there also appears to be some reggae night business going on at the sky bar on 15th on sunday nights.

one love
jah bill
December 19, 2005 11:19AM
uh, the sky bar is a yuppie place jb.

December 19, 2005 11:42AM
the grad school of scary yuppie places....
jb welda
December 19, 2005 12:15PM
didnt say it wasnt just letting everyone in on all the great happenings on the sacto reggae scene.

one love
jah bill
December 19, 2005 09:13PM
Do any of these places bring in live bands or are they strictly a dj scene?
R_D
jb welda
December 19, 2005 10:18PM
the blue note where wokstar appears on sundays does have live entertainment or at least they used to. the capitol garage i believe have live acts. the sky bar, i dont know but i think they do have live music. none of these have live reggae music unless its a very special case.

basically its catch as catch can here in sacto; the only venue bringing live reggae on a somewhat consistent basis is harlows and that has been pretty spotty lately.

then there are "pool parties" during the summer and one place along the river but i think they just did reggae during the summer and once a week or so...mostly local bands.

someone correct me if im wrong.

one love
jah bill
December 20, 2005 07:49AM
the Sky bar mostly know as a Jazz bar with real good Jazz acts playing and also local jazz acts good spot next to Torch Club -best Blues bar in Sacto.
yea Dirtweed mostly DJ's
Sweet fingers still has live music saw Zion roots and Nicholas Newman two weekends ago also G street Pub in Davis and Coopers in Nevada City still has acts ever so often
and the Rastafarians on Mon. at Ashkenaz I am heading down for this show
jjlab3
December 20, 2005 09:44AM
The Wailers @ Harlows-February 23rd.
proseed
December 20, 2005 09:44AM
is that happening this friday?
jjlab3
December 20, 2005 10:22AM
Nope, February 23rd according to Renegade.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login