Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What does everybody do from 8-5 everyday?

Posted by Binghi g. 
What does everybody do from 8-5 everyday?
December 02, 2005 10:06AM
..i'm curious to see the spread of how we(like minds on this board) all are contributing to the world economies.
if it's too personal a question, that is alright too.

I is a landscaping guru.
and reggae enthusiast/artist.

and you?
Re: What does everybody do from 8-5 everyday?
December 02, 2005 10:10AM
I go to school full time for Music production/ Business / Psychology

I have a Marketing internship at The Crystal Ballroom

I help take care of a wonderful likkle youth, take him to school and pick him up, help him with homework, teach him about Ital Nutrition and take him to a Hip Hop dance class.

I do a new radio show at Portland State University
www.kpsu.org Kultcha Sunday's from 5-6 pm

I spread positive energy and information about proper nutrition and love.

blessings
empress Lindsay Love

ps. all that takes WAY more than 8-5

"It takes a whole village to raise a child" African Proverb
December 02, 2005 10:17AM
I am the sales and marketing director for a fresh produce processing company here in Santa Maria, CA

Big up Binghi from eric v in san luis obispo area, we linked at the B&F show in Santa Cruz last year.

One love
be well
eric v
B.M.C.
December 02, 2005 10:31AM
Promotional research (ie. research + in the end a thesis to get the dr. title) in theoretical (computational) chemistry.
pale ryder
December 02, 2005 10:36AM
I am the Field Tech for a environmental consulting agency for the county of Napa. I mainly work in the fields of biology and hydrology. When ya'll are inside when its raining, I am most likely outside collecting suspended sediment samples, measuring stream discharge, and trying to stay warm and dry.......I love it though.......
December 02, 2005 10:38AM
Wildlife biology and water resource management consulting in the Monterey Bay area, from Big Sur to San Francisco.

penny reel
December 02, 2005 10:52AM
watch the BAF board....well actually I do that from 8-8
December 02, 2005 11:27AM
wow. a lot of tilling soil types on this board, from the contaminants research to the produce side(big up missah vasceri, of course i remember the I)...
B.M.C., you do what now? sounds interesting!
Empress love....for sure more than an 8-5 ting yu got..but yu pushing the vibes and raising the younger generation...yu criss!
Pale ryder, thats good to know...i might need you on some mitigation projects i got some both goin and coming up springtime.
do you go to the southbay or is Napa yu stay only? maybe Jahsprey could cover that area too.
I design/build/estimate a lot of the Caltrans highway planting & irrigation stuff. Use mostly native plants and watersaving irrigation products as well. and i listen to reggae all day everyday while i'm doing that, and if not listneing, i writing lyrics and goin a studio every other night to track out vocals.
December 02, 2005 11:28AM
Student and part-time slave.

December 02, 2005 11:43AM
Full-Time Slave here, Web Designer, Internet Nerdess, but also trained Nutritionist.. If anyone needs my services let me know, I am in the BAY,

Jah Bless
B.M.C.
December 02, 2005 11:53AM
Binghi g.,

I do research on one of the many chemical processes involved in the DNA replication process. The type of reaction I study is what they call a nucleophilic substitution, a typical elementary reaction in chemistry, though due to the high complexity of the system as it is in DNA not as straightforward as the textbook examples. Currently I'm studying extremely simplified model-systems to get more insight in the type of reaction itself, after which we will increase the molecules more and more to get more realistic systems to calculate on and do predictions on energetics of the process. All research is done by avanced quantum chemical calculation methods (density functional theory to be precise), calculated computationally. No lab-work involved.
December 02, 2005 11:58AM
B.M.C.
WOW!
is this geared toward understanding DNA replication as a whole, or for the benefit of the human genome project and finding out why certain genomes behave the way they do, leading to medicines and cures and seeing who is pre-disposed to what and the likes?
December 02, 2005 12:00PM
Hopefully you'll not succed in making the DNA replication process of yourself, BMC. Two BMC on this world would be way too much (though the JA music shop-owners would be quite happy).
December 02, 2005 12:01PM
Recent college grad- guest services manager at a hotel in Squaw Valley CA
Summertime farmer at the coast
SKI EVERYDAY ALL WINTER
solid rock
December 02, 2005 12:04PM

yes most snwmf people don't know about our friend BMC

for example, he is also younger than many of us

--
solid rock
December 02, 2005 12:07PM

..and on the other hand there's jb welda

--
December 02, 2005 12:13PM
And here comes Solid Rock:

solid rock
December 02, 2005 12:16PM

that guys not fat or macho enough to be solid rock

gotta be macho

TR-808 is a professional Raider Hater

--
solid rock
December 02, 2005 12:17PM

TR-808 is behind this sign

--
B.M.C.
December 02, 2005 12:29PM
Well binghi, my research-project is for 4 years (I'm halfway now), within that period I would be more than happy if we can shed some light on this small part of the replication process. The complete process involves a 1001 other processes at the same time, some quite well understood, but many poorly understood. It's tough to explain how simplified theoretical model-systems often are compared to the real world and how our models work (I wont go into that) and thus how much is left to be understood. It's like solving a huge puzzle with extremly small pieces. The question of what to do with our findings is at first to get a better understanding of the replication process itself. What to do with that information after that (and be aware that the complete understanding of this process is at least decades away as far as I can see) is up to the those that wanna use it, primarily (preferably) in the medical sector I guess, but that's something no-one is able to control: when results are published, everyone can do with it what they like.
Preferably, ofcourse, I'd like to see that my research can contribute a tiny very minuscle little bit in the possibility of treating certain genetically based diseases, but as said, that's far, very far, beyond this research itself, which on its own is basically purely chemistry that happens to have a link to a quite important biological system.

Thanks for the interest by the way! :-)

I guess another BMC would be too much to bear for the many roots-heads over at B&F, zoks! :-)
December 02, 2005 12:47PM
i teach middle school art in an inner city school. i get about 30 cents per kid for supplies for the year. so mainly I work in crowd control. a couple kids are into it, but most see art class as indoor recess which aids my daily headache, but it love it still and glad to have insurance after 10 years w/out it. . ras a
December 02, 2005 12:58PM
I work for the Evil Empire creating gear that you can see tonight on your box. Basketball, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Volleyball And Torino Olympics.
December 02, 2005 01:01PM
I tried to teach after school spanish to k-3rd graders and it was a nightmare. i feel ya on the crowd control. After a while I realized I was pretty much just a babysitter for these kids' parents til they could come pick them up after work.
B.M.C.
December 02, 2005 01:21PM
I also have my teacher-degree in both chemistry and physics and have been teaching in both subjects (to kids age 13-16 approximately) for a short period of time and in fact I liked it a lot. My main problem however was that I wanted to know more about the subject itself and that's when I decided to continue studying and gave up the teaching job. Still, I love teaching and as part of my current position I have to give some exercise-classes to first and second year students at university, which is very nice and completely different from teaching in highschool: students are responsible for themselves, while pupils in highschool are the teacher's responsibilty in a way. Very different, though both very enjoyable imo.
Translucent
December 02, 2005 01:31PM
"i get about 30 cents per kid for supplies for the year. so mainly I work in crowd control" :0) All the power to you Ras A for hanging in there. Tough, tough job/career. The shitstem is hanging teachers and schools dry. My Queen teachs 7th grade english, so I see the inside of it.

Social work is no different. I work with the youth and families, and it's just as messed up.

Jah Guide
Maconha
December 02, 2005 01:44PM

Play with clay...

-s
December 02, 2005 02:06PM
I am a psychiatric ER nurse and do substance abuse detox for the homeless in San Franfunny.
December 02, 2005 02:08PM
I climb trees and prune them- I work fir a small tree care company here in Burque- My boss just helped to cut the tree that is now in front of the capitol building- he actually was the one that climbed it to attach the hardware to connect it with the crane- swinging to and fro thru branches, jumping from limb to limb, sliding down ropes 50-70ft, climbing up that same distance- dropping dead limbs onto precise targets, rigging big logs over skylights- taking care of the largest plants on Earth- a cool job but very labor intensive- shew..

Im also a fiber artist and weave, spin and natural dye my own yarn. I make rugs, tapestries, shawls, scarves, etc..
and who can forget the avid music collecting- I have nearly filled up my 200gb hard drive in 3 months- + doing a radio show on KUNM 89.9FM -Global Music
Mondays 10pm-1am- [kunm.org]

its great to hear what everyone else does

Blessed Love

check out my sites
[www.myspace.com]
[www.myspace.com]
December 02, 2005 02:31PM
Yes BG-eye,

Best thread I've seen the I throw in a while!

this could (WIll) lead to connections and fowardizations! Thanks for the reasonings here in pysco space, where egos or sarcasims or inflections or truths get all WIERD...

ic, currently working University of the Virgin Islands. In particular, at an Agricultural Experiment Station: rps.uvi.edu/aes/aquaculture

You can probably find from there our annual June (STX) shortcourse link on fish farming and hydroponic plant production with fresh water from the fish farm. All of our water comes from Jah rains. To feed the eyes many times.

Ic loves and lives wahtah. fresh water... Life giving...

Funny ting, InI drawn to place like STX where we have zero fresh water. Only time it runs, is from a rain. Gone. Was here 500 yrs ago, now gone. Nada...

most all brethren and sistren in STX rely on Jah rains to come down and fill our cisterns. (and ya must belive Jah can send rain to flood out dem guns. Thanks VB!). Without Jah rains, many die!

Still, from 8-5 InI mostly deal with water in many forms and shapes. Whether I temple (mostly water) or I planet (mostly water). Fresh water, in the form of Jah rains, or jah ground water can sustain-eye and fourish eye. In stx our salt water is suseptible to all forms of contamination, especially human, including human wastes and industrial pollution. InI capture the blessed rains and use them sparingly for the production of nutrition.

Bless the eyes here that speak up and link I with their occupation. Nuff in nutrition, science, exercise, agriculture, arts or musicians. We have "survival skills", to thrill. Big we all up for the links. Thanks BG! Hope to see some eyes here in my June school, here in STX, June 2006. see link above.

Fortunately, I also teach so can relate to many of the teachers here. i tried a "guidance" "masters" program at UVI, but found I was being trained to babysit. Def don't want that degree! Guiding the few interested eyes is what captures eye though. Training ag, or a vocational skill, I have found limits your class to only those interested in learning the skills. Me the most of your time!

BG, I find this thread like a taoist "koan", I think ther're called, almost retorical... on and on.. like who are you... what do you do...hah and thanks

Wadada everyday,
ic
December 02, 2005 02:40PM
part time glassblower- custom work only! Link up if you need a piece...
bless---
December 02, 2005 03:12PM
I work for a composite manufacturer as a formulation chemist in a R&D lab.

I also work part time in a group home for boys in Antioch.

Faith = Strength
December 02, 2005 03:20PM
Binghi G.
Since we are county, we never work outside the area. We are not like the typical consulting firm that goes where the money is. I would like to hear more about the projects you are working on though.....Dang, we have many professionals here, I had no idea!!!
December 02, 2005 08:33PM
Wow, what an interesting thread. It is really fascinating to read how diverse a group we are. Special love going out to the teachers.

I work as the Director of Mission Support for the National Cancer Information Center, an arm of the American Cancer Society. We educate, offer resources and emotional support for people all over the country who are diagnosed with cancer. We also offer prevention and detection information, referrals for screenings, clinical trials as well as a national Quitline for those who want to stop smoking. It's not exactly 8-5 either but no problem.

I have been producing and hosting the Conscious Party on KAZI, a black educational community radio station for the past fifteen years. This has been an amazing education for me since I am a minority there. The station is a true community and a second family to me. There are four reggae radio dj's and between us all, we cover the full realm of reggae music. Reggae brings in more money (which is not alot) than any other genre of music on the station. The other genres are gospel, rap, hip hip, blues, jazz, hip hop, contemporary soul, r&b and oldschool.

For fun, I am a photojournalist for reggae music. I have adored reggae music since I first starting travelling to Jamaica in 1978. Ras Kabir mentioned his work which relates to my schooling. My degrees are in textile design and marketing. I miss working in that field but quit after twenty five years. I got extremely stressed at the company where I was working. Ras Kabir, our birthday is one day apart as well.

I'd love to see more pics of everyone. Give thanks for all who contributed here.

Post Edited (12-02-05 23:16)

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
December 03, 2005 08:09PM
My 9 to 6 is as a transportation planner working on rail extension in the Bay Area. Essentially promoting better land use and transportation coordination as a staff person serving elected officials.

My support to the teachers out there. The path not taken for me. As part of my community energy, I've taught Sunday School at a Unitarian Universalist church for the last decade. We are all each others teachers and students simultaneously forever.

Just reading these posts with folks expertise in DNA, the soil , food and other areas strongly bring to mind the themes addressed in Deborah Koons Garcia's documentary, "The Future of Food." I wonder how people feel about the genetic engineering of food and Monsanto's play to control seed stock of basic food products on the planet? Or is this too big a redirection from the original theme?
December 03, 2005 08:25PM
Do any of the farmer types here know Keith Richards who is a marketing agent and writer for SAWG? He used to live in California.

December 03, 2005 10:47PM
teaching the youth to make a better tomorrow
but as said before...teaching is a tough gig!
spiritual rewards outgain the material though!!!
much luv!
December 03, 2005 11:42PM
Greetings
reading, writing and rith-i-ma-tick I do M-F
damm you all know what I do well most of you and the rest of ya ask someone else who does? oh wellsmiling smiley
December 04, 2005 12:03AM
Did you finish and publish the rhodopsin project then, BMC?

I'm an undergraduate chemical engineering student. Part-time work at the school's writing center and as a teaching assistant for undergraduate thermo.
B.M.C.
December 04, 2005 09:01AM
That rhodopsin study was only a literature study to end my masters with, Fish. I did finish it, now about 2,5 years ago, with good success. The use of it was to use it for the next PhD-student who was gonna do the actual calculations on it. I was asked to be that PhD-student, but didn't know yet whether I was going to continue in research, so they hired somebody else in the mean time that continued with the subject with my thesis on it as a start. In the mean time I made up my mind to continue doing research and, now two years ago, I got my current position at a different university and enjoy it a lot.

How's the study going? How long still to go? Any plans for after getting your masters?
The man
December 04, 2005 09:05AM
Wow, BMC and Fish are maths intellectuals. Personally, my arithmetic and understanding of algebra are first rate. My English and Literature are top class, but physics, chemistry, engineering, no thanks very much.

Reel
December 04, 2005 09:49AM
I usually spent 8-5 observing Observer's activities on the board and chickling to Chiminos postings.

Chickling...not a bad word.
December 04, 2005 10:32AM
I'm believe I am chickling now.

Post Edited (12-04-05 10:33)

December 04, 2005 10:39AM
My three and eight year old daughters are chickling to Luciano and Tony Rebel in the other room right now.

Peace

December 04, 2005 03:53PM
yes, maconha.....social work is indeed a challenging field. i am a social worker here on the east coast and currently work at an afterschool program--which means i work with the youth in the afternoons and their families whenever needed. it is truly a struggle, but i'm glad to be in it and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. give thanks for this thread--what a networking opportunity! love and strength to all of those fighting the good fight! "it takes each of us to make a difference for all of us."

bless.....
December 04, 2005 04:14PM
I'm a comic retailer in Germany and we do sell a lot of american comics.
Tja
December 04, 2005 04:57PM
I am a self-employed bodyworker here on the east coast. I love what I do and feel truly honored to touch people and assist in their healing.
December 04, 2005 05:04PM
Pretty much just spend money in my effort to stimulate the economy,
its a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

Also, small time operator of a sound system and professional Caribbean Carnival Jumbie.
stun gun bob
December 04, 2005 05:20PM
I work in a slaughter house.

I like it.
stun gun bob
December 04, 2005 05:20PM
I work in a slaughter house.

I like it.

HIGHPRAISE
December 04, 2005 05:58PM
8 to 5 Hmmm.... Sleep, wake up, take various nutritional supplements, Partake, drink lots of water , Get ta work on tha computer ( geeky stuff for my friends computer company)Eat, Partake, listen to lots of music , then its of to skate ... After that its usually more food , Guiness , More partaking and a show if its happening ...
HIGHPRAISE
December 04, 2005 06:06PM
not of ---off smiling smiley
December 04, 2005 08:58PM
I design websites/program (yes I'm a geek), from 9-6 for Travidia (http://www.travidia.com)- and for myself after.
December 04, 2005 11:13PM
wow, lots of scientific minds on here

I'm a doctor.
Hey Reel - I spent two years at the London in Whitechapel !
December 05, 2005 01:00AM
BMC, I'm currently partway through my senior year (just for my bachleors, no masters yet). I'm applying to PhD programs at the moment (I actually considered studying in the Netherlands, as at the moment I'm thinking of studying polymeric fluid dynamics and you folks do some strong work in that field), and hopefully I'll start that next fall. Glad to hear your studies are going well - are you planning on continuing in academia after receiving a doctorate?

Penny, although so far I am planning a career in the sciences, I enjoy literature and history. One of the unfortunate (but hardly unforseen) consequences of going to a science-oriented school is that I haven't had much time to pursue these things.
December 05, 2005 10:31AM
why I-man sittin at this particular desk is a result of my past...

as a teenager I was "turned on," "tuned in" and "dropped out"... and so it went from youthful daze inna Chi-town and as I moved west, Boulder, CO, going in-and-outta drugs (dealing, using) going in-and-outta jails, prisons, relationaships... living on the streets, doing well, doing lowly, doing whatever it tek....
until early June, 1990, when the Hawai'ian District federal judge Fong sentenced I-man to 144 months (because he wanned ta see I do 10 years, at least) for Possession For Sale: 3000 doses LSD...

this is when I started to finally get a grasp of what I trod in life was/is!

...and so nine years a so later, when doing the additional 6 years of "Supervised Release" (probation) one of the stipulations is that I must KEEP a job... and atta time when I went unemployed for almost a full year and the PO was breathin down mi proverbial neck, I walked into this job as a warehouse worker, filling orders, loading-unloading product, basicly meaningless work, which I came to hate and loath... but it satisfied the PO's stipulations, paid the bills, was close to home ...

Coast Cutlery, deals in small knives, handy likkle folding tools, LED flashlights and the like...

after a next one ahead of I get fired, then my 83 year old boss retired, I come into the position of "Warehouse Manager"... with a long overdue raise in pay... but...

...ALL COASTS PRODUCT IS MADE IN CHINA, and OUR BIGGEST CUSTOMERS ARE THE LIKES OF "LOWES" "WAL-MART" "TARGET" and so on... so I basicly feel kinda filthy...

but I look at it in that "when in babylon(rome)..."

am basicly unskilled labor... cyaan jus "go get a job" with my history and lack of skills... and the position will be filled by SOMEONE, mite as well be I! and it allows I to do what I REALLY LOVE, spreading reggae music, vibes, & the great positive messages held there-in...

HIGHPRAISE
December 05, 2005 10:45AM
Foward Bredren ---------------------->
December 05, 2005 11:35AM
Bless-ed heights, one and all. bottom line, we all making 2 endz meet. and that is the point of modern living, to be able to do that.
We dont live in the bush, or in caves, or without electricity. thus, we need to provide for ourselves, our families...and hopefully, while we do that, we can give something back, in the form of lessons for the unlearned, or planting trees for future generations, or opening new frontiers of science.
Large up yourself Ras Danny, a tru soljah's trod for real. yu out now tho bredda~~! no more concrete walls and cold plastic mattresses and NASSSSSTY food mi boss! congrats due.
B.M.C.
December 05, 2005 12:18PM
Fish, you say "I actually considered studying in the Netherlands", does that mean you aren't planning to do so anymore? Which university did you have in mind? Make sure to let me know if you do plan to get to this little country!
As for my future plans, I actually don't know yet if I'm gonna continue in academia. On the one hand I like the work itself a lot, but on the other I wouldn't mind doing something completely different for a change like with music or go back to teaching (sometimes the academic world gets a bit too academic for my taste, if you know what I mean). There is a subject I'd love to work a bit more on (as I worked on it during my masters), which is ab initio molecular dynamics, so if I can get a post-doc position in that I would certainly conscider it.
December 05, 2005 12:23PM
HIGHPRAISE, Binghi g. blessid!

I-man giv nuff thanks an praise fi the Ones & Ones truly felt, supportive word sound!!!

I actually was jus given "early termination" from the supervised release (Aug 8, original date would hav bin Nov 24) and truly I am out from under the beasts yoke... but in tru Issence I-man come free up the day (or there-abouts) when judge fong say he wanna see I do ten years, I knew then this, I&I trod, was in Superior hands, it was time fi I to "know thyself" and "love thyself" and I begin ta see the LIGHT! I have been FREE since dat time there!

I have posted this before, but for those who hav not seen it...

[www.wweek.com]

Translucent
December 05, 2005 01:40PM
Congrats on the upcoming "official release" Ras Danny, and congrats and Raspect due for turning the shitstem wickdness into positiviness, livity, and the works of Jah. Who Jah bless, no one curse. Jah works in mysterious ways.

"...sometime the bitter is a healing
sometime the ground come like a ceiling..."

Blessed be
Maconha
Wh'appen?
December 05, 2005 01:53PM
Wank

Kizo
December 05, 2005 02:08PM
take care of my disabled father
December 05, 2005 02:49PM
No, I'm not considering it anymore. It's unclear that I'd get a significantly *better* education in the Netherlands than at one of the good US programs, and it'd be a big move with many unknowns. Depending on how things turn out down the line, I may still go there for a postdoc, but for a comittment as long as the PhD it seemed better to play it safe. I'd certainly hope to meet you and the other Dutch boarders if I do visit.

Have you considered doing a postdoc in the states? ;-)
December 11, 2005 05:27AM

teach high school math in guam-everything from basic algebra 1 to 2nd year calculus. head of the math dept. head up a small boarding program of 12 kids (grades 9-12) from Taiwan, the mainland USA and the island of Palau. that keeps me busy most days from 7 am til 11 pm except Weds when I Deejay on the radio (going on 11 years now). Play Reggae in all my classes, trying to sprout the seeds in the youth. Have been teaching for over 30 years and couldn't imagine doing anything else. Love going to work every day. Have a strong Reggae posse here on Guam that meets at my place every Friday night (at least) to reason and discuss ways to forward the Reggae vibe...every time!
December 21, 2005 08:25PM
Hey Malcom -

We were your neighbors at the 2005 SNSMF. How are you?

Les & Linda
Ganjah
December 22, 2005 01:57AM
reggae music full time...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login