Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MATISYAHU Featured on MTV

Posted by Lori 
Lori
MATISYAHU Featured on MTV
December 04, 2005 11:42PM
On Tue. December 6th Matisyahu will be featured on "the 10 spot" on Mtv.
Got word that this tue. after episodes at 10:00PM and 10:30 PM, Matisyahu will be featured on Mtv. There will ba promo. and a clip of him performing.
I was really excited! I saw him perform last winter here in Eugene. ITES!
NICE to see a conscious man bringing the message, to cable tv.

www.hisidicreggae.com

Re: MATISYAHU Featured on MTV
December 05, 2005 07:15AM
Lori, bless

the actual URL izz...
[www.hasidicreggae.com]

December 05, 2005 08:41AM
an MTV appearence will surely bring out all of the haters. Good to see a conscious MC getting some run on the Major media outlets
December 05, 2005 09:21AM
more love
dec is mah earthday!!!!!
please forward all ital presents!

"It takes a whole village to raise a child" African Proverb
HIGHPRAISE
December 05, 2005 10:48AM
Matisyahu on MTV ?? Hmmm .. Got my conspiracy gears turnin smiling smiley ... I guess its cool though ....
December 05, 2005 10:50AM
I am a big fan of conspiracy theories, if we promise not to get mad, will you let us hear it??
jb welda
December 05, 2005 11:03AM
let me guess: how is it this likkle bwoy is on mtv with "reggae" when many others have tried and failed with a cultural direct connection to real reggae?

i dont have answers, only see where this is going and have the same questions.

one love
jah bill
December 05, 2005 11:05AM
yea jb,
whaa gwaaan?

r we thinking the same ting?
TR-808
December 05, 2005 11:10AM

he's got "schtick!"

sadly, on the large scales, gimmicks outsell quality and even authenticity.

--
December 05, 2005 11:18AM
*sigh* Yep, sure, come right out & say it, the jooooooozzz control the media...
...if this is what SNWMF board is gonna become, not sure if I want any part of it...

That being said, I have to agree w/jb & TR.
bee
December 05, 2005 11:27AM
HIGHPRAISE
December 05, 2005 11:49AM
Your all on point ...
jb welda
December 05, 2005 11:50AM
i wasnt necessarily even thinking that stamina, but the question remains: is it money? is it novelty? is it skin color? is it religious background?

or is it quality that just overwhelms all the things that "keep reggae down" on a commercial platform like mtv?

somehow i find that last one kind of hard to swallow.

one love
jah bill
bee
December 05, 2005 11:59AM
Q- is it money?

I think that is a very important and major role in it all (not to belittle matisyahu's music, I actually think its pretty good.)
but with $, you can get good promoting/marketing teams and media opportunities- that enables you to get on mtv/talk shows/big magazines, etc...
December 05, 2005 12:10PM
bee...
yadda yadda yadda.
December 05, 2005 12:43PM
MONEY is the number 1 factor. This is why you see Jr. Gong on MTV and why his whole clan has gotten on. I like Matis I think he is not a gimmick, just unique. If he were black would he be a gimmick? Gerardo, of Rico Suave fame, and his hair was a gimmick. Milli Vanilli and theie matching extensions were a gimmick. Someone singing songs about their culture and there people is not a gimmick.
December 05, 2005 12:52PM
ageed cat. i've listened to a few of his shows off the archive and have read little snippets and write-ups here and there, and the guy seems as genuine about making music for a purpose as the next reggae artist. i seriously doubt that he got into making Hasidic reggae music with the thought that he'd take the scene by storm ya know?

check Matis out at our local fest (free Windows Media stream)

[www.archive.org]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its supposed to be a challenge. That's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy, it would just be the way. -Road Trip
December 05, 2005 02:10PM
cye
December 05, 2005 02:29PM
of relief?
Kel-I Bubbler
December 05, 2005 05:22PM
Tues the 6th? Lori just a wild guess is that I'll see you at the Abyssinians show around 10:00 pm that night and you won't actually be watching MTV?
Lori
December 06, 2005 12:00AM
Well, for true I'd Love to be at the Abyssinans show, but for I and no $$, and serious family crisis.. Not gonna be there unless a tender heart can add I to the list. My mother got seriously hurt and I-Woman been takin' care of her.
All that I do, is let "people" hear about things that I hear about.
I am BUSY with my little youth and in the late night hrs I
put a shout out or two. Forgive the I on some spelling when I quickly write a thread, after I tuck the yout to bed.
I saw the unique sound and vibes from Matisyahu....and was empressed to hear of his accomplishments...No money talk involved! A Conscious Jewish reggae singer!
December 06, 2005 07:56AM
> A Conscious Jewish reggae singer

afta seein his set, thats not my take on him at all... most likely conscious, most definately Jewish, but a REGGAE singer... I dont think so... mho
December 06, 2005 07:57AM
more like a hip hop/jamband chanter who duz a few reggae influenced tunes...
December 06, 2005 09:43AM
and meanwhile,

wi still have many 'very good unrecognized'' bands right here in the usa,
check it -

>[littlemunk.com];

one peace roots-ee
[thearkband.com]
December 06, 2005 10:11AM
ROOT-SE, That has always and will always be the case, but I see a lot of Crabs in a Barrel as far as Matis goes. A lot of people don't want his to get any love because he seems to be accepted by the masses. Same thing they did to Shaggy and Sean Paul. He doen't fit what they want to see representing them in the Masses. Jr Gong gets away with it because he is a Marley and he has Dreads. Both reasons that shouldn't matter. Either you can play or you can't. If S. Paul was your boy and you waled into a club and there was an open Mic and he got on are you telling me you wouldn't think he was tight? Same thing with Shaggy or Matis. People Diss them because they are getting recognition, but always remember rarely do the best get the recognition, at least while they are alive. Sure there are many MC's better than Sean Paul, Shaggy and Matis and they would probably be the first to tell you that. But others don't want it, Just like Bounty. Bounty could have blown up on the Billboard, but he distanced himself from the naked man in No Doubt. HE would have been everywhere, but he didn't want to do it on their terms so he goes back to being known by Reggae fans and Underground Hip Hop fans. That was his choice. Don't get me wrong I know there are plaenty of peope who just don't like Matis and his sound, that is fine, but to not like a guy because he is popular is foolish.
December 06, 2005 10:24AM
ninjacat, good to see your reasoning which i am sure is intended for ALL here
on the board...
respescx for it. nop roblem here...

i man always try to speak of and work for inity bizness and togetherness,
not division nor separation...

====================================================================
please note the following that i wrote in november 1998 when i & a sista
'created' the usabb sute...

<<<
NOVEMBER 1998 - in an effort to pinpoint and solidify the runnings of reggae bands based in the USA, we will be addressing the topic of usa based bands/USABB from herein.

i believe strongly that this USABB subject is one that will prove crucial in advancing reggae music in this huge country, geographic wise and population wise. i further believe that we in the usa can serve as a vital link in promoting inity among all reggae musicians (in fact all of the reggae massive) not only in the usa but all over the world. we are one among many but we are strong when we choose to unite and educate. - Roots-ee
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 06, 2005 10:45AM
for the record: I do not dislike Matisyahu for his so called "popularity," I don't even "dislike" him, I just don't see him as a viable REGGAE artist, and imho, (and who am I anyway?)... he isn't all that talented a singer... dats jus my opinion, seen (and as dem seh, opinions are like as..... well yuh nuh!)

on the other hand I DO love the exposure/audience that he is bringing to reggae music jus beca his publicity seh he a reggae artist...
December 06, 2005 10:55AM
I hear that Ras, I know that there are somm who just don't dig his sound and we all have are favorites, I just see a lot of Haters, who like to dis mainstream artists after they make it. If you want a good example watch how people treat Kilanji after he drops on Roc a Fella, You will here a lot of that " Oh I like his old stuff" and "Kilanji sold out" talk. Give it a minute
December 06, 2005 11:19AM
i had that same "sizzla sold out" conversation over thanksgiving with my girl. he came out on that new cam'ron and juelz track singing the hook saying something to the effect of (not verbatim, but pretty close), "click clack and it's over - you're dead. the gun blasts, blasts a hole in your head.... i ain't no fool - i'm a thug that plays by no rules". something like that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its supposed to be a challenge. That's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy, it would just be the way. -Road Trip
bee
December 06, 2005 11:48AM
I like sizzla's old stuff, its way better than his most recent 50 cds...

do u like that ninja?

December 06, 2005 12:18PM
I agree, I nevah really liked Sizzla much anyhow, but yeah his newer stuf is kinda crappy, and I do like a lotta his older stuff, if I was gonna choose ta lissen him... on another note I am very high on his former protege Turbulence!!! BOOM!
December 06, 2005 12:53PM
nothing wrong with digging his older stuff, Black History could be my favorite Track period. Black Woman and Child, Ancient Memories these tunes all rate. You know who you are.
papa ray
December 06, 2005 03:09PM
As always, nice reasoning Ninja. I checked Matis this summer & my take is he's sincere, he's got some flow , and he's not gonna be the best mike MC of all times.
But when he came thru St Louis & I checked him close-up @ an in-store he
didn't hit me as a poser. This doesn't mean I'm gonna play him on my set or at home for pleasure, but (so far) I don't check him for one who's trying to pimp the music. I BET if this was some hasidic cat who happened to have dark skin
a whole heap of the criticism would not be there. Again, not my 1st or 100th choice, but my take is he ain't fakin'.
December 07, 2005 08:54AM
did anyone see this last night?
January 27, 2006 12:00AM
a friend brought this CD over. she was excited because the white singer didn't try and pretend to talk with an accent.
Doesn't seem like a lot to get excited about.
I can't get throught this one.
Just hurts my ears to hear whinning and yoddeling.

Am I that far off?
Isn't this the worst singing anyone has heard in a long time.

In Jamaica, people who never put out a record sing better than this

anyone?
January 27, 2006 12:06AM
I wasn't feeling him this summer when i first heard- but now i think his lyrics are so positive and conscious that it makes the relatively generic music very captivating and powerful. Matisyahu is breaking through on many levels- bless up all the idren who chant positivity and burn out negativity. Turn the darkness into light...
blessings--- Sam
January 27, 2006 08:48AM
he grows on you
jb welda
January 27, 2006 08:57AM
like fungus?

one love
jah bill
pale ryder
January 27, 2006 08:58AM
Like a wart?
January 27, 2006 09:31AM
Positive music on mainstream is always a "plus" (no pun intended).
Of course once the Biz. gets a hold of it, the music is literally shoved down our throats. At which point, it starts to get annoying.
That said...
I hope the YOUTH like it for their own reasons, and not because it's on MTV.

Peace.

Post Edited (01-27-06 09:55)
January 27, 2006 10:12AM
like a person
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login