Mutabaruka

Posted by Seko 
Seko
Mutabaruka
December 21, 2005 12:27PM
Keep doing what you are doing!
Re: Mutabaruka
December 21, 2005 03:49PM
Check out the new stream on [www.mutabaruka.com] entitled "Don't Know Much About The Bible".

[www.ireggae.com]
December 21, 2005 06:09PM
At the last snwmf .my wife and i were in the dance hall , we were by the left side of the hall ,anyway she was sitting down .when muta in all his barefoot glory,sat next to us ,he sat there taking in the dance.nuff man would walk passed,then done a double take ,you know that ,is that or is it not look .then would go up to him hand on heart bowing ,say things like ire muta izes Rastafari .This went on for sometime and he would always acknowledge everyone.But after a time you could see him nodding off ,my wife Kelly said whats wrong with these people keep trouble him ,and i thought of the tv documentary on reggae shown in the uk ,muta was talking about where reggae was comming from ect...when asked about the fact of white people being into reggae .he said there must be some sort of masochism going on !then he started to chuckle,i thought its kind of ironic .you have to admire a man who is true to what he believes in ,barefoot and all ,not shaw if he would walk around in NY in the winter like that .but his show on ire fm was good ,i can't say i go along with all he says, but that life .its nice to see him though, i remember him from the early sunsplash shows shown on uk tv back in the early 80ts, with his white patch in his dread, doing ''every time i hear the sound the sound ''
December 21, 2005 09:23PM
Yes, I sat near Muta myself at the festival. Also the Morgans at one point as well. That's one of the beauties of SNWMF as opposed to others, we make them feel comfortable enough to move thru the community.

As far as his comment "there must be some sort of masochism going on", that is true to a certain extent, but would be more true if referring to Rasta than reggae music as a whole.

December 21, 2005 11:50PM
I am there for the vibes, music, and camaraderie, not the punishment...

December 22, 2005 12:12AM
i was able to speak with macka b who was up front during dennis alcapones early morning set. yes, that is one of the beautys of the festival that the performers want to see other acts and actually come out front and mingle.
December 22, 2005 12:53AM
> not shaw if he would walk around in NY in the winter like that ...

well, I know he walked all over Portland inna dead cold November, like dat... and waz headed up North as well...
December 22, 2005 01:07AM
one person who I guess has seen muta in places where it snows, and is a person I haven't known to lie, has said that muta will walk when it's pretty cold out, but if it's too cold to walk barefoot he'll have his people carry him around. Again not sure if that's true, seems kind of out there.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
December 22, 2005 01:13AM
i stand corrected ,his foot bottom must be well tough ,truly a free man,but mind were you step star
December 22, 2005 02:17AM
Cold weather won't deter that man. You had better check your 'source' on that one Ras James.... There was a time when airlines would 'insist' that he wear shoes (and they would give him these slipper things), but now they no longer require that and the TSA folks love him.

Once, the folks at Whole Foods made him put 'slippers' on too, so now he just shops at Real Foods instead. He told me the toughest of all though was trying to trod around the 'life sea', because it is all volcanic rock heavily laced with salt.... Ouch!
December 22, 2005 03:04AM
like I said, i'm skeptical that he has people carry him, seems even a little out there for an artist. is he ever concerned with the cleanliness of the ground though. I know I wouldn't walk around a lot of shows, stores, etc... barefoot. Peace.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
December 22, 2005 04:51AM
Muta shops Wheatsville Food Coop in Austin where he can go barefoot. The new Whole Foods here is the parent store to the home offices. It is massively huge and well over glammed. No one could get past the front door without shoes.

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
papa ray
December 22, 2005 04:57AM
Wow. Personally, masochism a trait I've never associated w/ listening to music,
but I'm a 'nothing but the best later for the garbage' fellow. See, I'd never attach
masochism to Muta if he dug Marty Robbins. No, nevah.
December 22, 2005 05:56AM
bro tom ,what it was that muta found strange was that,white people would gravitate toward a music that crys of the past slavery ,what the whiteman done to the blackman ect..but the more man like muta travel the earth thay will find ,that not all hate each other, man can live together if thay want ,and not be ashamed of what thay are or who,if you feel you must live in africa then do so ,if you want to live in europe do so ,its not the world that is cursed with ignorance its man ,and the more we interact with each other,the more we will break down the walls of ignorance ,there is a long way to go ,but if you chip away it will fall.has anyone seen the said documentary, it was shown here in the usa on vh1 i think ,you would see what he said ,and could put that remark into context
December 22, 2005 07:35AM
capleton used to have a man posse who would carry him around like King Shango, not sure if that still goes on tho.

December 22, 2005 02:08PM
Peter Levi, that was beautiful to read this morning. Give thanks. I feel the most alive when I travel. The magic of the earth and the human spirit, something so beautiful to feel. Give thanks PL.

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
papa ray
December 22, 2005 02:52PM
Peter carry the vibe every time.

I did a radio interview years ago w/ Muta, and when he arrived I was spinning
a Tosh or two on Inter-Diplo(I think 'Mark of the Beast' wuz one), and he looked surprised, then nodded approvingly---he's the model for an articulate guest onna radio show...
December 22, 2005 03:24PM
hi bro tom, well you have spoken to the man ,i only observed the man ,and i feel you know a good vibe in a person.hope you are well .oh yes i just got a few nice soul tunes ,remember i asked you about ray charles i don't need no doctor well i have it now, along with timi yuro, it'll never be over for me. the driffter ray pollard both are re-press but that don't matter,and esther phillips just say good bye ,sad thing though , when thay reach i don't have a turntable set up ,its packed up for when i go back to london ,are well so it go's.
Ranking Yoni
December 22, 2005 04:00PM
Thanks Daniel for the new additions to the Muta Seh section !

[www.OzReggae.com]
December 22, 2005 04:35PM
Muta live by his words "It nuh good fi tan a farin country too lang" so when it the blizzards start to blow Jamdown is where he goes.

December 22, 2005 05:03PM
Yes, I sat near Chimino myself at the festival, I just though that was Muta. Realising that he's not barefooted, nor black, I dont feel comfortable any more so I walked away.
Cali Rasta
December 23, 2005 12:40PM
Heard a great interview between Muta & Don Taylor in Ja on the radio back in the 90's.

j j
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login