Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LA reggae shops

Posted by french not robert 
LA reggae shops
January 06, 2006 03:06AM
Greetings
I will be in Los Angeles for a few weeks flying from France, and I'd like to update a lil bit on the shopping side : I just saw that Aaron records closed, both locations, and that was a good source for roots 7 inches, especially their 1-or-so dollar second hand section, if you have a few hours it's amazing sometimes the tunes that people get rid of. Sometimes.
Anyways, I am looking for good places to shop for reggae vynil in LA and around (besides Amoeba and Jah Lambs that I know already, the latter didn't carry much actual music every time I went actually)... I look for anything but dancehall/ragga/soca/regaeton. Just roots, acoustic or digital. Any hints ? Thanks
Re: LA reggae shops
January 06, 2006 10:56AM
If you can get down to San Diego, check Trade Roots Reggae Shop:
Trade Roots Reggae . 3804 Rosecrans St. San Diego, CA 92110
(619) 299-7824 . (Mon-Sun 10am-7pm)
[www.traderootsreggae.com]
January 06, 2006 11:12AM
allright I'll come by if i am around. I used to go to Rose's and zulu's shop, what is it called again? can't remember.
In the area I sometimes got nice surprises at Lou's Records in enicinitas, of alla places. Not often though.
January 06, 2006 11:53AM
A small precision : When I mean "LA area", it can be from say Venice to Upland/San Bernardino... thanks !
January 06, 2006 12:20PM
If you're going down to SD, then take the Oceanside off-ramp and check out Earth Culture at 105 South Coast Highway.

Lou's Records, in Leucadia, is my local reggae music hook-up.

Peace,
-RV
January 06, 2006 12:35PM
Amoeba in Hollywood.

January 06, 2006 12:44PM
I know it's not LA....but just in case...and since San Francisco is close to LA (relatively when you're thinkin bout France to Cali...hehehe)

Wisdom Records comes correct.

Wisdom Records
4308 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94112
(415) 841-1258 phone
(415) 841-1374 fax

HOURS:
Monday - Saturday 11am - 7pm
Sunday 1pm - 7pm

We appreciate all of your support, and look forward to filling your reggae music needs, both in our shop, and by mail order.
www.WisdomRecordsSF.com

peace
January 06, 2006 12:45PM
Cool... Is LA as empty as I was afraid it is roots music wise ?
January 06, 2006 12:52PM
yes mr Wisdom Shop, I was supposed to come to your shop last year with my friend John cardiel, also ralston and della told me good things about you... I sure wanna come if I am around ! I probably will at some point respects
January 06, 2006 01:00PM
Is Culture Beat still open in Long Beach? I loved that place-it's probably been 11 years though since my last visit.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
January 06, 2006 10:14PM
Never been there, I'll ask around.
HIGHPRAISE
January 07, 2006 01:17AM
John Cardiel ?? Skater ?? If so -- Ron Chapman introduced em ta me last year at SNWMF .. Always heard he was cool and tha brotha definately was .
January 07, 2006 05:18AM
yeah man, one of the gnaliest skaters to have graced the earth. We trade a lot of music together, he's recovering from a really bad accident. Amazing guy.
Ron Chapman still around? Is it Chatman or Chapman?
HIGHPRAISE
January 07, 2006 12:40PM
Chatty Chatty man .. smiling smiley JK -- Pretty sure Chapman .. Hmmm .. Yea i still skate with em sometimes .. He was at the fest w/ tha I Path boyz last year . I heard cardiel may never sk8 again .. i truely hope tha best for the bredren .. definately one of tha "gnarliest skaters to have graced the earth " . You sk8 or what ? On the record store tip -- Amoeba has a preety good selection of riddims-7's-singles and you can find some other good stuff sometimes ..
dogwarbossanova
January 07, 2006 08:16PM
fyi: rhino records in westwood has just closed down. aron's WILL be closing very soon but as of this writing is still open and blowing stuff out.
January 07, 2006 11:16PM
Yeah, I am afraid all the good Aron's stuff wil be gone when I reach Cali.... Amoeba can be nice but I can't remember : can you listen to 7s there ? I don't think it's possible, which was great at Arons.

And yes Highpraise, I do skate. Did you see that I Path free vid? Matt Rodriguez?? killer !
January 08, 2006 12:13AM
still, seems like there s not ONE single shop that's specialized in reggae music in LA ?? Sounds crazy.
January 08, 2006 11:32AM
How about that Jah Lambs And Lion's shop? Maybe it has bettered now, haven't gone there in a few years... please ?
January 17, 2006 03:14PM
this might help...
[www.scratch.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login