Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

U Roy version of Bob Andy song ....?

Posted by Freddy C 
U Roy version of Bob Andy song ....?
January 07, 2006 07:28PM
When U Roy cut a DJ version of Bob Andy's "I Don't Want To See You Cry" under the title of "I Got To Tell You Goodbye" was an accompanying vocal (un-toasted)version released?

I know that Ken Boothe recorded it at Studio One, Delroy Wilson too .... but was the vocal version of the Prince Tony Robinson production issued?
zoki
Re: U Roy version of Bob Andy song ....?
January 07, 2006 07:30PM
"Ching chong chilli chilli ching chong chung chang"!!

(Im practiing my Japanese).
The man
January 07, 2006 08:24PM
Fred, I think you'll find it was Barrington Spence who sung the vocal part of 'I Don't Want To See You Cry' on U Roy's toast. I don't know whether a fuul vocal was ever recorded; certainly it was never released.

Reel
zoki
January 07, 2006 08:34PM
"Ching chong chilli chilli ching chong chung chang"!!

(Im pretty fluent in my Japanese now).
January 08, 2006 02:02AM
Thanks again for the info., Penny.

This tune has been going around in my head since I heard Ken Booth's Studio One version as acquired by a friend recently.

I wasn't sure who did the vocal on U Roy's version and don't have my copy to hand to listen but certainly Roots Archives does not mention Barrington Spence in connection with the Jah Son Of Africa LP and I'm not familiar with his recordings just the name.

I see he has an album called "Speak Softly" and now I'm wondering if the title track may be the same song as performed by Lacksley Castell several years later.

By the way, if by any chance in your archive of top tens there may lurk a Naggo Morris Ten, please feel free to post it in my general direction!

My (very incomplete) attempt at listing his recordings is as follows:

Naggo Morris - A True Them Na Know (S&G 12"winking smiley

Ashanti Waugh / Naggo Morris - Africa / A True Them No Know - (Black Roots, UK 12"winking smiley

Naggo Morris -You Want To Get I Out (Yah Congo 12"winking smiley *extended version with instrumental only dub, lots of organ & horns.

Naggo Morris - Down In The Ghetto - (Wambesi 7"winking smiley a.k.a. Heptone - You Can't Get I Out (Forward Records, N.Y. 7" )

Naggo Morris - Jah Will Explain - Cry Tuff 7"

Delroy Wilson - I Have Been In Love (Conqueror 12":LD 045) b/w Naggo Morris And The Heptones - You Want to Get I Out

Banditto & Dean Stone - See What You Stirring Up (B.Johnson / Naggo Morris) - Third world: TWDIS 15 (UK 12"winking smiley

Our Homeland / Take it or leave it (Dread & Dread, UK 12"winking smiley

Leroy Mafia / Naggo Morris and Lloyd Hemmings - Life is Just a Dream / Anywhere you Go (Vena, UK 12"winking smiley

Naggo Morris - Can't Take Su Su Pon Dread
Naggo Morris - Come On And Tell Me
Naggo Morris - Flour Power
Naggo Morris - Jah Will Explain
Naggo Morris - Love Your Brother
Naggo Morris - Mighty Ruler
Naggo Morris - You Rest On My Mind
Naggo Morris - Su Su Pon Rasta [7" re-issue]

Post Edited (01-08-06 02:46)
Ron
March 15, 2006 11:23PM
The vocal part of 'I Don't Want To See You Cry' on U Roy's toast was done by Brent Dowe.
it was released as "Goodbye Baby/Goodbye baby Dub", released on 7" Warika
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login